Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

Phenotype posted:

One of the big issues is the way you scale so fast with levels. I think I got a little ahead of the curve by doing sidequests, and it kinda trivialized the combat in the last third of the game. When I started out with weapons doing ~30 damage a hit, I assumed I'd be doing maybe 200 per hit by endgame, not 1500, and I think that really helped a few extra levels become so overpowering. My abilities were pretty much one- and two-shotting groups of mobs, too.

I was also not crazy about the marriage between consumables and the way you refill to 100% after every combat. It meant I could pretty much spam all my abilities whenever I wanted without consequence or management, and it made my inventory cluttered with tons of potions, which meant I left the ground cluttered with stuff once I reached my max of a particular item. And the free item use every turn (a 60% heal) meant, if I was taking a beating, I didn't have to worry about healing vs dealing damage.

Yeah that's true too, if you hit up the sidequests as early as you can you'll max out your levels about 2/3 into the game, which was slightly disappointing since hitting the top of the power curve so early only really detracts from the combat.

Of course, I'm already looking forward to playing through again as a different class so I think this time I won't sidequest until much later in the game or if I find myself lagging behind. Though, considering my biggest complaint is that I wish combat was more difficult/longer, I'd have to say they created a pretty drat good system that's only really hampered by slightly too easy enemies.

Harry Joe fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So I just beat it...

That ending...

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

Holy poo poo, this is literally the game the kid me wanted when loading up those flash games from mrhatshellhole.com in 2001.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

So, I don't suppose anyone else is having a problem (and has figured out how to get past it) with the fight rather after you come out of the wall and run into the underpants gnomes again?

For me it plays the cutscene and then just dies: black screen, no loading icons or anything, no ability to pull up the Home menu or anything. It does it every single time and I would really adore any suggestions on how the gently caress to get past this.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

bunky posted:

If you want to build a game for controllers solely, concentrate on consoles and forget about the PC market.

Yeah. No.

I'd appreciate extra support for keyboards, but a half-assed port is better than no port. Besides, this is a Steamworks game and with Big Picture and SteamOS which are both geared specifically towards controller usage it's absurd to say that PC gaming should be keyboard+mouse centric any more.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SwissCM posted:

Yeah. No.

I'd appreciate extra support for keyboards, but a half-assed port is better than no port. Besides, this is a Steamworks game and with Big Picture and SteamOS which are both geared specifically towards controller usage it's absurd to say that PC gaming should be keyboard+mouse centric any more.

If I'm on pc and I have to figure out where my 360 controller is because I literally can't progress otherwise, some one hosed up.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Beat the game, trying to see if I can get closer to 100% now. 1 Chinpokomon to go, #26, but don't see him listed on the treasure map and 98/100(?) friends. To anyone else who was worried about skipping stuff, you can go back and do stuff later after defeating the final boss in the tower.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Game owns. I've been dying laughing for hours. Yes, I'm mentally 13.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I was complaining about an issue earlier. Loaded an earlier save and everything worked this time so no biggie. Other than that this game is just flat out brilliant.

Also just saw the metacritic is now sitting at 86!

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Just beat it. About 12 hours start to finish, did a few sidequests but still have some stuff to do. An early frontrunner for my game of the year. I laughed more at this than I did at Portal and Portal 2 combined (granted, the presentation of this game provided a lot more opportunities for humor).

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I farted on an alien. It was good.

That was in the overworld though. Can someone explain the advantage to farting in battle? Mana is hard to come by.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The Human Crouton posted:

I farted on an alien. It was good.

That was in the overworld though. Can someone explain the advantage to farting in battle? Mana is hard to come by.

It grosses out the enemy (not all enemies can be grossed out though). You can also mix farts with your regular melee and ranged attacks

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."
Anybody on PC care to explain how to fart? I'm alternating A + D and it doesn't seem to do anything.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Where I'm at in the game I have a mongolian bow. Combined with the fart cloud and a tuft of pubes for bonus gross out damage, flaming enemies vomit themselves to death. It's amazing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Oddity posted:

Anybody on PC care to explain how to fart? I'm alternating A + D and it doesn't seem to do anything.

Line the grey arrow up to the peak frequency, like tuning a radio, you don't have to hold the key once it's there.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
How do you shoot at things when not in combat, or is that something you are only able to do later in the game? Pressing Y gives me the grey targeting reticle, but I can't move it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Zilkin posted:

How do you shoot at things when not in combat, or is that something you are only able to do later in the game? Pressing Y gives me the grey targeting reticle, but I can't move it.

Hold down left trigger to aim.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
I played as a Mage and was fairly obscenely overpowered the entire game on hardcore. My strategy was to have the +pp on fire damage with lifesteal and +bonus on heal, so not only would I never run out of mana, but a single cast with my roman candle could recover all of my health. It felt a bit cheap, because I almost never had to use potions on myself only buddies if I bothered to keep them alive in long boss fights.

Looks like I won't be able to get my 100% since I think I skipped two items in areas I can't go back into Gnome Armor and Witch Armor so I am stuck at 101/103. Still can't find that last drat chinpokomon so it might be somewhere I can't get back into as well. Looks like I'll just have to give it another go around later.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

echronorian posted:

Where I'm at in the game I have a mongolian bow. Combined with the fart cloud and a tuft of pubes for bonus gross out damage, flaming enemies vomit themselves to death. It's amazing.

There are so many magical sentences being written in this thread.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Thief is a very satisfying class, mage was fun but lacked a certain something for me. That something was darting behind people, pulling a real knife out, stabbing them over and over, then stealing their poo poo.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
I'm a little disappointed in the 'Mug' skill for the Thief class. It seems as though you're never going to actually steal anything useful with it, right? Just junk and rarely a cheap consumable.

I want confirmation because I think I may have possibly missed something.

Day 3 spoilers: In the abortion clinic after the nazi fetuses break out. At one point you're faced with a puzzle that ends up with you crawling into an airvent and watching the mayhem through several grates. Right before then, you're able to crawl through the insides of a dead soldier to get behind him. Is there anything special behind him? Equipment or anything like that?

Just for giggles, here's where all the hide and seekers are, completable during day 2: Outside Mr. Slave's house
Inside the bank
Outside the tower of peace
Starks Pond
The farm
In the sewers

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

general chaos posted:

I'm a little disappointed in the 'Mug' skill for the Thief class. It seems as though you're never going to actually steal anything useful with it, right? Just junk and rarely a cheap consumable.

I want confirmation because I think I may have possibly missed something.

Day 3 spoilers: In the abortion clinic after the nazi fetuses break out. At one point you're faced with a puzzle that ends up with you crawling into an airvent and watching the mayhem through several grates. Right before then, you're able to crawl through the insides of a dead soldier to get behind him. Is there anything special behind him? Equipment or anything like that?

Just for giggles, here's where all the hide and seekers are, completable during day 2: Outside Mr. Slave's house
Inside the bank
Outside the tower of peace
Starks Pond
The farm
In the sewers

The real point of Mug is the stun, not the steal. At the final upgrade level enemies stay stunned for like 3 turns, completely trivializing any miniboss fights.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
:lol:

I'm dying at the constant Rob Schneider gags in the theater

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Rob scheider in.. Derp! Derp derp derp

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
So I've only been playing for about an hour as a mage, and I was wondering how the other classes compared. Right now, I'm only level 2 and melting faces off with my roman candle plus a cumulative +20% to fire damage thanks to perks and armor.

e: also god drat going through Cartman's mom's drawers

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do
Just finished the game clocking in 14 hours, great ending and final boss and while it might be a tad short to my liking it was quality the entire time and I have zero regrets making this a full price purchase.

It's a rare game that makes me want to replay it right away and this one pulled it off.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Anyone know what time this is supposed to be release in Australia? Steam just says "Released in March". Is it going to unlock at midnight on 06/03 AEST?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Well, not many games can say they had you fight a warlock underpants gnome while trying to dodge your parents' genitalia during the battle. Thanks South Park!

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
It's really incredible -- every time there is a thread like this for a new cross platform game, finding out just how many people who play PC games in the year 2014 do not have a wired 360 controller yet. Seriously, invest in one. Get over your weird 4th grader style aversion to anything console and admit that a lot of PC games these days either are designed to be played with a 360 controller, or are seriously improved experiences when you use one instead of mouse+keyboard. M+K is a great control method, and basically is the only way to play a ton of games like Civ, or FPS games, and countless others. But a game like South Park for instance is totally a controller game. So, well, deal with it, friends!

-----

So I'm just firing up the game for the 2nd time, yesterday I only had time to play up through the point where you pick your class because I spent like 25 minutes listening to the whole episode of "Terrance and Phillip: Not Without My Anus" on the TV. Which, when I brought up how crazy it is this background T+P gag is 25 minutes long, someone in the thread suggested it was just the audio from the actual South Park episode centered on T+P called "Not Without My Anus" that was an April Fools gag back that year. I haven't compared them to determine if that is true, but I'm really interested to find out.

So now I've been staring at the class select screen for 15 minutes because I am so terribly indecisive at picking classes in RPGs, even if they barely make a difference like it apparently is in this game. I've narrowed it down to Not A Fighter so far. Does anyone have some strong, biased as gently caress advice in support of the character they are playing so it can help me settle on a class? Thief/Jew/Mage all are equally interesting me. And like everyone else, I'm sort of drawn to the Jew class because, hell, what other game is ever going to have a Jew class? I almost have to check it out for posterity's sake, right? Thief seems cool because, well, backstabbing is awesome, plus hell of bleed stacking seems useful. And Mage, well the fire attack being just shoving a burning roman candle into dude's faces almost sells the class entirely. Plus other awesome looking and seemingly devastating spells.

edit: vvv 2008 me probably would have been convinced by that alone, but 2014 me doesn't care at all about achievements. Thanks for the tip, though.

Damo fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 5, 2014

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Damo posted:

It's really incredible -- every time there is a thread like this for a new cross platform game, finding out just how many people who play PC games in the year 2014 do not have a wired 360 controller yet. Seriously, invest in one. Get over your weird 4th grader style aversion to anything console and admit that a lot of PC games these days either are designed to be played with a 360 controller, or are seriously improved experiences when you use one instead of mouse+keyboard. M+K is a great control method, and basically is the only way to play a ton of games like Civ, or FPS games, and countless others. But a game like South Park for instance is totally a controller game. So, well, deal with it, friends!

-----

So I'm just firing up the game for the 2nd time, yesterday I only had time to play up through the point where you pick your class because I spent like 25 minutes listening to the whole episode of "Terrance and Phillip: Not Without My Anus" on the TV. Which, when I brought up how crazy it is this background T+P gag is 25 minutes long, someone in the thread suggested it was just the audio from the actual South Park episode centered on T+P called "Not Without My Anus" that was an April Fools gag back that year. I haven't compared them to determine if that is true, but I'm really interested to find out.

So now I've been staring at the class select screen for 15 minutes because I am so terribly indecisive at picking classes in RPGs, even if they barely make a difference like it apparently is in this game. I've narrowed it down to Not A Fighter so far. Does anyone have some strong, biased as gently caress advice in support of the character they are playing so it can help me settle on a class? Thief/Jew/Mage all are equally interesting me. And like everyone else, I'm sort of drawn to the Jew class because, hell, what other game is ever going to have a Jew class? I almost have to check it out for posterity's sake, right?

If achievements are your thing, you can only get one playing as a Jew.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I've got a PC and a 360. For games that play better using a controller, I generally just get them on the 360.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Where the hell is the last homeless guy I need to beat up for The Homeless Problem? I got the one at Kenny's house, one in the truck at the storage place and all the ones in the sewers and that makes six.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What's ironic about the controller argument is that there used to be a time when PCs not only shipped with controllers but you were expected to use different devices based on the game. Trying to play a sim without a flight stick was a fool's errand and some games required a specific device to play them.

The allure of PCs used to be in their versatility. All console games are built for their controller but PCs can be built around a lot of devices. But now the M+KB is the de facto standard and whether that's a positive or negative is your opinion. I certainly don't mind a dev focusing on a specific input as long as they're forward with it like Super Meatboy or Dark Souls.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Sims need wheels because of fine movements and specialized control concepts. I don't think it's nuts to say it's silly to need a controller for a button mashing minigame, I can mash fine in other games, mashing isn't a complex thing.

Also they weren't exactly upfront about it so it's an annoying little surprise.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Republicans posted:

Where the hell is the last homeless guy I need to beat up for The Homeless Problem? I got the one at Kenny's house, one in the truck at the storage place and all the ones in the sewers and that makes six.
Same one I missed, I think. Check the school bus stop area. Behind a tree there's a hidden path up to a bum hideout.

The bum and hide and seek quest locations should be up at the top of the first post.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Republicans posted:

There's a group in a semi-hidden area to the far left of the map. You can find a hidden path behind a tree around that place, I think in the leftmost screen closest to the front.

E;fb

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
The Brain Food perk is awesome with Butters. His heal gives 2PP every time he pats you on the back which is like 6PP total.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Evening of Day 2 spoilers I went into the 4th grade room because I thought they had moved up to 5th grade on the show. What happens if you enter the 5th grade classroom?

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

So I keep trying to dragon shout on the fire by the barricade in the school to blow it up and nothing is happening. Ive been trying for about 10 minutes, is it a bug or am i just incredibly retarded or both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Welp, beat it after about 14 hours. Definitely worth the money. I missed a complete section with the crab people in the sewer since I never went back there after getting the Nagasaki.

As far as I can tell there isn't a whole section. You just blow up the wall, then talk to the crab guy, and that's it. Did I miss something?

• Locked thread