Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

psydude posted:

Their resume parser is the best I've seen in terms of not loving up the format of your format.

One of of the major ones today actually did a terrific job at this. I think it was career builder.

I think I always used the manually attach option when applying for jobs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Someone (not me) apparently tripped an alarm that summoned the security forces to the building. There is nothing more terrifying than being bent over with your head in a server rack in a secured vault when some charged up teenager with an assault rifle decides to stick it in your back and screams for you to show your hands. Fortunately it was a bowel-clenching event rather than bowel-releasing. I had to sit on the floor for several minutes afterwards because my legs were shaking from all the adrenaline and could barely support me. Fun times.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Military police best police.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I accidentally tripped the alarm to our secured vault today. Hi there, Mr. Police Man! :)

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Now that we've had resume chat, anyone have any words of wisdom about cover letters? I generally favor the "find specific points of the job posting that I can relate to my own experience, and elaborate my qualifications" approach, but after 2-3 points, I start to run out of steam. Fill out the page with whatever I can come up with, or keep it short and sweet?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Now that we've had resume chat, anyone have any words of wisdom about cover letters? I generally favor the "find specific points of the job posting that I can relate to my own experience, and elaborate my qualifications" approach, but after 2-3 points, I start to run out of steam. Fill out the page with whatever I can come up with, or keep it short and sweet?

I don't fill them out. I just never had a talent for them. I figure the positions I would lose out on probably don't outweigh the ones I get considered for by not bogging myself down with essays.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Just don't use the term "attached please find my resume" - it's kind of a given :downs:

I prefer cover letters to be succinct, personal, and passionate but there are always people who will say "spell out your personal accomplishments and SELL YOUR EMPLOYER" but I'm pretty sure most HR departments don't even read them

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Roargasm posted:

Just don't use the term "attached please find my resume" - it's kind of a given :downs:

I prefer cover letters to be succinct, personal, and passionate but there are always people who will say "spell out your personal accomplishments and SELL YOUR EMPLOYER" but I'm pretty sure most HR departments don't even read them
Most good HR departments barely read the resumes for IT positions at all because, after years of battling with hiring managers over inane keyword filters, HR finally caves and agrees to just send the hiring manager every applicant.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

No joke, I put one of those in about three years ago and it exploded in my face. Pieces of plastic everywhere. One hit my cheek, could have been my eye. Never touched those things since.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

YOTJ might be happening sooner rather than later. The position opened up at the University, I would be taking a $1.80/hr cut (works out to about 3700 annually), but with significantly less stress and expectations. PTO is better by a couple days and more holidays, benefits are about equal. Definite room for advancements within the next 5 - 10 years due to retirements and whatnot. No merit increases-- cost of living and title change only. That part kind of sucks, but comes along with the territory of public service job.

The main thing is, I'll be significantly happier doing this than what I'm doing now. There's a lot to weigh, but I'm past ready to move on from the bank.

mrchoupon
Jun 3, 2001

I just got done rewriting my cover letter for a higher position in our department. Looking at the old one, it was basically an essay version of my resume, which didn't seem to make a lot of sense. Now it's a brief overview of my job before starting here and some highlights of the work I've done in my current position and how it relates to the position I'm applying for. Not that it matters too much because they've said they don't really read them.

Another question for you resume readers: Do you put any weight behind new versions of certifications? For example, do you see the A+ continuing education cert as having any more value than the lifetime cert? I'm guessing, especially for the more basic ones, that a cert is a cert and the finer points don't matter at all. Or that those with ce certs are suckers because they have to fork over money to CompTIA every few years to renew (no, I'm not bitter at all.)

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

mrchoupon posted:

I just got done rewriting my cover letter for a higher position in our department. Looking at the old one, it was basically an essay version of my resume, which didn't seem to make a lot of sense. Now it's a brief overview of my job before starting here and some highlights of the work I've done in my current position and how it relates to the position I'm applying for. Not that it matters too much because they've said they don't really read them.

Protip: Keep your cover letter shorter and sweeter to the point. It may be just a merrica thing but I don't see hiring managers wanting to read a long cover letter.

quote:

Do you put any weight behind new versions of certifications?

For CompTIA not really unless you don't have any EXP; generally employers will ask you if it is current or when you obtained it. For things like CCNA, MCSE(yay 2003 MCSE's), VCP it weighs heavily.

quote:

Or that those with ce certs are suckers because they have to fork over money to CompTIA every few years to renew (no, I'm not bitter at all.)

It honestly depends, CompTIA is starting to label the A+ versions now; It's a shaft for the grandfathered A+'s. It's generally a good idea to keep them as current as possible regardless the cert(unless it's novell).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Misogynist posted:

Most good HR departments barely read the resumes for IT positions at all because, after years of battling with hiring managers over inane keyword filters, HR finally caves and agrees to just send the hiring manager every applicant.
I didn't have to do much fighting. Mostly because academia HR is lazy as hell.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Zorak of Michigan posted:

In an industry where you get glared at for having a resume longer than one page and resumes longer than two go in the trash, why would you write a cover letter? Never written one, probably never will.

If you can't discern my skillset from my resume, I don't want to work for you. If I apply, my interest in your job speaks for itself. I just don't get it.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask. A colleague of mine spent 6 hours driving to London, racking some servers/moving cabinets around, and then driving back again. He wasn't paid because the company "Didn't charge the customer". He didn't get paid for travel time or hours spent. He did get mileage. Does anyone know if this is legal for a salaried employee in the UK?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm assuming he's not salaried?

Whether the company gets paid or not is irrelevant, someone at the company told him to go and do the work. Sales assistants don't not get paid for the half hour they spent talking to a customer about a TV because they didn't get the sale.

Edit: Jesus I can't read. I'm not sure how you can not pay someone if they are salaried. Are they forcing an unpaid day or something?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

evol262 posted:

In an industry where you get glared at for having a resume longer than one page and resumes longer than two go in the trash, why would you write a cover letter? Never written one, probably never will.

If you can't discern my skillset from my resume, I don't want to work for you. If I apply, my interest in your job speaks for itself. I just don't get it.

I hate cover letters since most online job postings have 0 actual information beyond "You need to have these skills:" and how the gently caress am I supposed to sound passionate and involved when you give me nothing to work with.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Pretty drat sure that isn't legal. If you work, you get paid, end of. Now if you mean he doesn't get overtime, then I'm not sure how that works for salaried workers.

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask. A colleague of mine spent 6 hours driving to London, racking some servers/moving cabinets around, and then driving back again. He wasn't paid because the company "Didn't charge the customer". He didn't get paid for travel time or hours spent. He did get mileage. Does anyone know if this is legal for a salaried employee in the UK?

Regardless, "Didn't charge the customer" is a bullshit reason. Why would that be your colleague's problem?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
"OOOooops. I guess I didn't do the work" -do shutdown now

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Caged posted:

Edit: Jesus I can't read. I'm not sure how you can not pay someone if they are salaried. Are they forcing an unpaid day or something?

It was a Saturday - I should have mentioned that.

MW: Yeah I agree. My previous company just seems to have practices that "have always been the way".

DrAlexanderTobacco fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 5, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's the kinda thing where I'd just pick up the phone only to tell them to get hosed next time they call OOO hours.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Tell him that he should start copying in HR on all emails, email his line manager, their manager and HR and ask for clarification on pay for his Saturday work, and if that still doesn't help then he should go to Citizens Advice.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Total Meatlove posted:

Tell him that he should start copying in HR on all emails, email his line manager, their manager and HR and ask for clarification on pay for his Saturday work, and if that still doesn't help then he should go to Citizens Advice.

It was HR (The office manager) that told him he wasn't getting paid. I will definitely tell him to go to Citizen's advice. Thanks for the advice.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah i'm in agreement. The Citadvice people know what they're on about, in the year I worked there they were never stumped on an issue.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Guess he can take a day in lieu tomorrow!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

Anyway, a quick Google search turns up that some co-location facilities don't even allow you to put a UPS in your rack. I know our location has a bunch of generators and a huge rack of batteries and crap.

I don't know enough to be specific, but I know that putting small UPSes on a rack of servers that's ALREADY being covered by a facility wide UPS is Somehow Bad.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Most UPS will see the generated/battery-powered sine has out of tolerance, switch to batteries, and promptly run out before the central infrastructure would ever have.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

evil_bunnY posted:

Most UPS will see the generated/battery-powered sine has out of tolerance, switch to batteries, and promptly run out before the central infrastructure would ever have.

Eh, I don't think that's it since our facility UPS was just to hold things up for the few seconds it took for the generator to switch and take over.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

Eh, I don't think that's it since our facility UPS was just to hold things up for the few seconds it took for the generator to switch and take over.
Yes, when designed to just tie you over of course it won't jump in. Flywheel UPS'es etc are designed just for that purpose.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That's all our UPS did. Of course the building generators were notorious for not coming on at all, particularly during Hurricane Sandy, which was like a week before I started. Wound up losing a line card in a 6509 and a several configurations during that one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The only UPS we had in our rack was with an older EMC SAN that had its own UPS instead of having any sort of battery backup for the cache internal to the unit. If it couldn't talk to the UPS, it went into write through mode.

Local datacenter we are in has facility wide A/B power with the facility UPS units capable of running the entire building (including cooling) for an hour and they have a Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary generator on site that kicks in within 10 seconds of power loss. I think they have 36 hours of fuel on hand with contracts in place to ship more fuel in that are second only to the area hospitals.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 5, 2014

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Nice. We did a full load switchover to the generator for an hour weekly, and it was natural gas so it could run indefinitely. I don't think I would choose gas, since there's a lot more places where your fuel supply can break down in the case of a who-knows-what disaster. I'd rather have to figure out the logistics of getting a fuel truck there.
The only bad thing about this were the handful of incidents where there was something wrong with the generator and whoops, instant outage.
That's still better than trying to get the old as hell and beat generator for another facility running right before the building where it was housed was having a scheduled power maintenance. Oh what? You haven't run this generator in literally YEARS? Ughghgh.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

How in the gently caress does generator maintenance cause an outage? You'd have more than one to begin with (because what's the point of putting it there when it's a SPOF), and it should be on bypass 99% of the time anyway.

One of the crusty old dude at a hospital I once worked for told me a tale of a valve failure on the diesel generator's main tank, which promptly dumped it's content to the floor. Queue a random crusty walking in, smelling fuel and almost tripping the light switch before realizing how dumb that would be. Then he backed away slow and called the fire dept.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 5, 2014

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Sounds like work on the building's service was being performed and the plan was the run on generator during that time, only the thing was a piece of poo poo and hadn't been maintained.

Personally, I'd take natural gas over diesel any day. You burn through fuel pretty quickly with the diesel (Our 600 gal daytank lasts ...a day), and every regional disaster I've experienced has been a clusterfuck for fuel deliveries, I've never had natural gas turned off during one. This is probably a bigger issue in areas prone to earthquakes I'd imagine.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
It feels like I'm just spinning my wheels and going through the motions where I am now. Not quite at the level of CF and BlackSword, but it's just... terribad. I don't get tickets or cases anymore, my skillset seems like its stagnating at my current location... and it seems like the best that anyone can offer me with my current set is a Helpdesk role on the public boards around me... it's just pissing me off.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

Nice. We did a full load switchover to the generator for an hour weekly, and it was natural gas so it could run indefinitely.

Dunno where you are but I just wanted to point out that Hurricane Katrina taught many of us that this statement is most assuredly false

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Syano posted:

Dunno where you are but I just wanted to point out that Hurricane Katrina taught many of us that this statement is most assuredly false

I work out of the Federal Reserve building in NOLA and this is indeed the case. Massive fuel tank on the roof of the building allowed the building to maintain power after the storm and this still remains the plan for the Feds in this city.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Syano posted:

If only his next sentence had agreed with your statement...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, you don't want to rely on any utilities in an emergency. Multiple fuel contracts are the way to go if you want to ensure you stay up and running.

The datacenter where we have our stuff is adamant that even grid power should be viewed as a backup. The datacenter should be designed such that the generators are the primary, most reliable source of power. You just use your secondary supply (the grid) whenever it is available.

• Locked thread