Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
I just upgraded to a 5S and i dunno if it's a version change, forums change or this phone, but this thing is crashing over and over.

I've narrowed it down to the forum list - if I go into a forum I can do whatever I want but as soon as I try to go back to the forum list to go elsewhere it dies. Every time.

I can't try to log out or anything because the log out button isn't accessible until I go to the forum list. So right now I have to pick a forum and then reinstall the app when I want to change from YOSPOS to D&D and welp that kinda sucks big time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I know this doesn't solve the main problem, but here's a handy link to the settings screen so you can log out without going to the forums list. awful://settings

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
^^ :hf:

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

I just upgraded to a 5S and i dunno if it's a version change, forums change or this phone, but this thing is crashing over and over.

I've narrowed it down to the forum list - if I go into a forum I can do whatever I want but as soon as I try to go back to the forum list to go elsewhere it dies. Every time.

I can't try to log out or anything because the log out button isn't accessible until I go to the forum list. So right now I have to pick a forum and then reinstall the app when I want to change from YOSPOS to D&D and welp that kinda sucks big time!

hahaha jesus loving christ after I whine about it the drat thing starts to work :hurr: it's not like I reinstalled the app eight times today or anything!

please ignore me, thanks!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Needs some inversion for dark theme.

Also sorry about the forum list blow ups, looking into it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

pokeyman posted:

That sucks! Try logging out and back in? Not sure what else to suggest unfortunately, except that I'll see the crash reports and take a look.

I'm not sure. I always watch in landscape, but I'm sure some weirdo who watches in portrait will complain loudly when they're stuck with fullscreen landscape YouTube videos.

Might make sense for iPhone though. iPad, I think I'd rather leave it.

That also sucks! Trying to fix these up.

Yeah I should specify. I just mean when you're locked on portrait. I don't want to have to unlock and switch to landscape to watch one dumb video someone posted. If I'm planning on watching a bunch or something, then I'll just do all that.

For ipad I don't see it being a big feature. But the iPhones youtube app already does it. If you're in portrait and locked, and click expand, it'll go full screen landscape without having to go unlock orientation and etc. In awful, it crops and zooms the video. If you don't click expand, it just sits like a normal youtube portrait, which is terrible.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Diabolik900 posted:

I know this doesn't solve the main problem, but here's a handy link to the settings screen so you can log out without going to the forums list. awful://settings

This doesn't slide open the side panel if it's shut, which was briefly confusing.

edit: had a go at fixing this, about to generate a pull request

JamesOff fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 1, 2014

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Um, here's something worrying. Anyone else not having any embedded YouTube video play?
I think it's also happening in a couple other non-browser apps that embed videos (it happened in Feedly for me).

Meanwhile, if I play the embedded video in icab browser, it works.

Ipad air, latest firmware.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

JazzFlight posted:

Um, here's something worrying. Anyone else not having any embedded YouTube video play?
I think it's also happening in a couple other non-browser apps that embed videos (it happened in Feedly for me).

Meanwhile, if I play the embedded video in icab browser, it works.

Ipad air, latest firmware.

Happened to me yesterday too! iPhone 5S, latest firmware (7.0.6)

Hip Gelatinous Cube
May 30, 2001

what up

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

Exact same problem over here, unfortunately. Was using a 3GS with the iOS 6 version of the app as of two days ago, then switched to a 5S, got the most recent version, and it's welcome to crashtown.

And yeah, it's without a doubt the forum list itself. The app crashes the very second it finishes loading the page--or gets to a certain point in the loading process. In fact, if I disable 3g/4g/wifi (in order for things to load much slower) I can actually open the app, IMMEDIATELY tap the menu in the upper left, and go to my bookmarks/private messages/settings, at which point the app does not crash. The only requirement is that I do this quickly enough for the forum list to NOT have fully loaded in the first place. If I try to go back to the list from any of the other menus, it will crash again. Reinstalling doesn't help, neither does rebooting the phone, or tweaking any of the settings.

Pokeyman, if there's anything people can do to help you out with this, let us know. (new version of the app looks fantastic, by the way. Especially in dark mode.)

Hip Gelatinous Cube fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 1, 2014

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!

JazzFlight posted:

Yes, just get a black box where the video should be. Then, if I force-quit and try to go back to the thread page with the embedded video, Awful just keeps crashing.

On iPad Mini, iOS 7.0.6

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BuckT.Trend posted:

Yes, just get a black box where the video should be. Then, if I force-quit and try to go back to the thread page with the embedded video, Awful just keeps crashing.

On iPad Mini, iOS 7.0.6
I believe this problem is fixed now (tried here and in Feedly).
Google must have screwed things up on their end and sorted it out by now.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I wish I could tell whether I can'post because of a real error or because I'm probated!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Yeah I should specify. I just mean when you're locked on portrait. I don't want to have to unlock and switch to landscape to watch one dumb video someone posted. If I'm planning on watching a bunch or something, then I'll just do all that.

For ipad I don't see it being a big feature. But the iPhones youtube app already does it. If you're in portrait and locked, and click expand, it'll go full screen landscape without having to go unlock orientation and etc. In awful, it crops and zooms the video. If you don't click expand, it just sits like a normal youtube portrait, which is terrible.

Makes sense to me! On the list.

Hip Gelatinous Cube posted:

Exact same problem over here, unfortunately. Was using a 3GS with the iOS 6 version of the app as of two days ago, then switched to a 5S, got the most recent version, and it's welcome to crashtown.

And yeah, it's without a doubt the forum list itself. The app crashes the very second it finishes loading the page--or gets to a certain point in the loading process. In fact, if I disable 3g/4g/wifi (in order for things to load much slower) I can actually open the app, IMMEDIATELY tap the menu in the upper left, and go to my bookmarks/private messages/settings, at which point the app does not crash. The only requirement is that I do this quickly enough for the forum list to NOT have fully loaded in the first place. If I try to go back to the list from any of the other menus, it will crash again. Reinstalling doesn't help, neither does rebooting the phone, or tweaking any of the settings.

Pokeyman, if there's anything people can do to help you out with this, let us know. (new version of the app looks fantastic, by the way. Especially in dark mode.)

I think I see the crash, but I've had no success replicating it. I added some logging into the next version that might help, and in the meantime I'll keep poking around. So I guess update to the next version once it comes out!

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I wish I could tell whether I can'post because of a real error or because I'm probated!

It's on the list!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I had the crash-on-startup issue the other day. I fixed it by rebooting the device (iPhone 4S). Weird.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Comment Carnival keeps appearing on the list and I'd rather not be reminded of my shame!

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
The app seems incredibly crashy and slow on my first gen mini. It can take 25 seconds to even load a thread. Embedded youtubes are 50/50 if they want to load. Seems quicker and stabler on my iPhone 5.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Captain Matchbox posted:

The app seems incredibly crashy and slow on my first gen mini. It can take 25 seconds to even load a thread. Embedded youtubes are 50/50 if they want to load. Seems quicker and stabler on my iPhone 5.

Your iPhone 5 is faster and has 2x as much RAM, but that does seem like a long time to load a thread.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Comment Carnival keeps appearing on the list and I'd rather not be reminded of my shame!

What the hell is Comment Carnival?

Captain Matchbox posted:

That's pretty lovely. YouTube embeds I have a bit less control over, but that's pretty terrible loading time. Working on it.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I haven't tried all the options obviously but based on a quick sampling, it looks as though the app crashes if I try to star any subforum below Ask/Tell in the list.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

pokeyman posted:

What the hell is Comment Carnival?

It was a subforum of SAFP from time when radium tried to do frontpage comments but since he was so inept the only way he could do this was by having the support bot post mailed words. It was a failure and got quickly removed, but never locked, and then a couple months ago a couple of dumb losers started roleplaying their teenage intercontinental romance there which got found out and now it's gone.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The new games subforum, DDRD, is missing a bunch of thread tags.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yaaaaaayyyy! I'll see what I can add tonight.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

BYOB style sheet, please.

Hip Gelatinous Cube
May 30, 2001

what up
Quick post-latest update feedback: the forum list no longer crashes on my 5S. So far so good. Thanks!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Hip Gelatinous Cube posted:

Quick post-latest update feedback: the forum list no longer crashes on my 5S. So far so good. Thanks!

Ditto. I can now bookmark forums.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Thanks for bringing back swipe and autohide to the bookmark tab, feels much better

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I have 2.0.4 on the iPhone, and the "sort unread bookmarks first" doesn't seem to be working. Unless I misunderstand the point.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Update just hit the App Store (USA). One of the bullets on release notes is the sort by unread is fixed so there ya go.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

serebralassazin posted:

Update just hit the App Store (USA). One of the bullets on release notes is the sort by unread is fixed so there ya go.

Right, the updated version is 2.0.4 and that doesn't seem to be working for me in it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Maybe enable it and force quit the app then restart?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Sorry, didn't check the version number. Seemed to work on my iPad. If force quit doesn't work try deleting and re-installing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ohhhhh, it's a new option. From the release notes, I thought it was just a new behavior.

It does work after I turn it on. Good job!

smackfu fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 5, 2014

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Loving the swipes!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

sleepingbuddha posted:

Loving the swipes!

Yesss. This update is the BEST update!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If anything the new update has made my thread loading issues even worse. It takes upwards of a minute or more for a thread to load, and if I let my phone auto-lock anywhere during that time, the app will crash upon opening my phone back up.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
Option to open links in safari instead of awful browser?

Profile pics are broken , let plat users view users post history

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

about_face posted:

Long press the link, an open in safari option is there.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

about_face posted:

Could you define broken please?
Also seeing users post history I think would mean including the forums search function all together. Not sure that's something pokeyman is going to be able to whip up anytime soon.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Dave posted:

Also seeing users post history I think would mean including the forums search function all together. Not sure that's something pokeyman is going to be able to whip up anytime soon.

You don't have to do the entire search stuff if you don't want to. You're just doing a call to the search page with the post history action and the user ID. Once it completes, it does a redirect to the search page with the users post history.

code:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/search.php?action=do_search_posthistory&userid={0}
From that point you can parse and format it.

Of course, that's not easy to do. And technically, my app is cheating because I'm using the forums HTML with some formatting and overriding JavaScript on it, rather than actually parsing it. I can get away with this somewhat because I'm just on a tablet/desktop, rather than a phone environment.

Now I really want to add full search functions. Stop giving me ideas. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

drasticactions posted:

Now I really want to add full search functions. Stop giving me ideas. :argh:

Yesssss. Give in, DO IT.

• Locked thread