Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Remember, Sun-Il's reaction to being healed back in chapter 11 was both, "You learned that skill?" and, "You healed me instantly?" When Jee-Han points out that instant recovery is normal in games, he says, "Isn't that a bit cheaty?" And that instant healing is explicitly stated as what got the Chunbumoon's attention in chapter 13, and the Chunbumoon's recovery zone was a increased recovery speed effect.

So that suggests that normal healing techniques just speed up natural recovery. Healing potions may be an exception, but if that's the case, then healing "status ailments" may just be flat-out impossible for normal people. Sung-Gon wasn't there when he said he healed Sung-Ah, so if it's impossible by the normal rules, then Sung-Gon probably wouldn't think, "Oh, that weird kid must have done this!"

Jee-Han is basically exempt to every single magical rule in the world, apparently.

Edit: Also, wow, how much experience does Yunhon Soul recovery need if 89 uses got him to level 3? That is one hell of an absurd EXP curve right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm guessing that soul stones probably are either literally made of souls or made of spirits (like the zombies) but harder to make.

Yeah, but he can still spam the spell without soul stones and all it costs him is mp. Considering that he is going all-in with an int build, mp is not a serious concern for him any more. It certainly doesn't 'burn his soul', like the redhead does.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yeah, but he can still spam the spell without soul stones and all it costs him is mp. Considering that he is going all-in with an int build, mp is not a serious concern for him any more. It certainly doesn't 'burn his soul', like the redhead does.

Sure it does. His soul just regenerates at a rate of 12 per minute, with a bonus for proper meditation breathing.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

I am immensely sad we didn't get a shot of the options menu now that we know it exists. Ah well.

There definitely has to be something up re: the soulstones.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

rizzen posted:

I am immensely sad we didn't get a shot of the options menu now that we know it exists. Ah well.

Start to worry if he finds a Black soul stone. :unsmigghh:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

rizzen posted:

I think normally they're made from spirits, which is what that girl's father is doing. His gamer powers obviously aren't the only source of them, given that powers that exist without his gamer powers can make use of them. Our man here is explicitly creating something from nothing when items drop though, so it might be the case that he's literally gathering soul stones while skipping the usual step of using spirits to make them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm guessing that yunhon soul recovery normally carries some risks for the user, and certainly can't be spammed. Hwan Sung-Gong doesn't have any way of knowing that Jee-Han has a bizarre reality bending ability, or that he would gladly help if asked. Pretty much the only thing we know about Sung-Gong is that he doesn't trust people with his daughter. So, he is either going to try to get Jee-Han's aid via force or else continue with his original plan instead of trusting some random kid.

I hope he kidnaps Jee-Han and demands he heal his daughter under pain of death or something similar, and Jee-Han's just like "dude I was planning on it anyways don't have a cow man"

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
The status window for the Black Demon's Invasion says that the person needs to be periodically fed "life force" in order to keep on living. I think that's what the father was doing when he was sucking up monsters, collecting life force to give to his daughter. I'm not sure that it's related to his plan for the cure.

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 24, 2014

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Captain Invictus posted:

I hope he kidnaps Jee-Han and demands he heal his daughter under pain of death or something similar, and Jee-Han's just like "dude I was planning on it anyways don't have a cow man"

Or more like: "Dude, I was gonna do that anyway so I could farm my healing XP ..."

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

buzmeg posted:

Or more like: "Dude, I was gonna do that anyway so I could farm my healing XP ..."

Of course. He needs those high level skills or he'll never get onto the harem route.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So am I the only one thinking that he just failed his mom's quest to get home on time?

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

GoatLord posted:

So am I the only one thinking that he just failed his mom's quest to get home on time?

Nope, just thought about it too.
I've just read through this, and it's pretty good so far.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

GoatLord posted:

I've more or less been anticipating it since the quest and its failure were first mentioned.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I really hope the newest chapter not being translated by now doesn't mean that it was dropped.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

RatHat posted:

I really hope the newest chapter not being translated by now doesn't mean that it was dropped.

Just the group working slower than usual. They posted an update on the 2nd that the translation is complete, just needs the editing stuff done.

Deuterious
Oct 17, 2011

RatHat posted:

It wasn't. From the group:

quote:

The progress for The Gamer is currently a bit behind due to unforseen circumstances. It should hopefully be up in a day or two though. Patience is a virtue.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

RatHat posted:

There is a google doc that might interest you: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvRK-bq-k6m5dFlramFlWDZxbG5CTG1CRVBjOGZ1Mnc&richtext=true#gid=0

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Holy crap that's great, I've been refreshing batoto every couple hours for like 3 days, this'll work much better.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
I just read all of this and loving this so far, it's really cool seeing game systems being used like a superpower like this. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Deuterious
Oct 17, 2011
New Chapter Out

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
ha ha. anime hijinx.

I hope something happens next week.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Writer dude, no matter how much you try to lampshade it, lovely anime clichés like transfer students will still be lovely.

Especially the second time.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Sun-Il is hilarious, him making Jee-Han uncomfortable will never get old.

And goddamn, that life drain ability could just break the poo poo out of everything. Does anyone remember if the soul recovery restores life force? I can't wait to see how he'll use his new skill. :allears:

^Jee-Han even comments on the transfer student thing. It makes sense, though, you'd probably want to keep all the crazy people who can use magic contained.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I'm guessing that Mr. Black Summoner dude deliberately is positioning his daughter near the guy who miraculously cured part of her disease after he's been going to such grand lengths to cure her. He might be aiming to just tempt him into being a good samaritan again when she inevitably passes out, or to actively ask him for help, or try to trick/force him/steal his powers to do the same.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
He's become a video game character. The main character. Of course all the interesting characters transfer to his class.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

He's become a video game character. The main character. Of course all the interesting characters transfer to his class.

Suddenly I feel like I'm reading an adaptation of Persona 3, can't wait for Jee-Han to start working on those Social Links and getting on hilarious love trouble :haw:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I've never thought about it from this angle, but it'd be pretty funny and make a lot of sense if his ability forced him into always being on some quest to save the world/the girl/the kingdom, etc, just like an RPG.

So he can never have the life he wants, because gaia/god/whatever, always twists things so he has to be a hero in a videogame.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

SerSpook posted:

I've never thought about it from this angle, but it'd be pretty funny and make a lot of sense if his ability forced him into always being on some quest to save the world/the girl/the kingdom, etc, just like an RPG.

So he can never have the life he wants, because gaia/god/whatever, always twists things so he has to be a hero in a videogame.

Nah, his destiny is like that of a long-time MMO player.

Raids. Nightly raids.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

HenryEx posted:

Writer dude, no matter how much you try to lampshade it, lovely anime clichés like transfer students will still be lovely.

Especially the second time.

While it does fall into the anime cliché of all the story relevant teens being in the same class I don't really mind it. I'm speculating to some extent but I figure the reason she is there is because after being healed by Jee-Han she is well enough to go to school again, she probably really wants to go so she can have something approaching a normal life again and her father decided to have her put in the same school he teaches at so he can keep an eye on her and be there if she collapses again.

What I question more is why is her dad teaching there? Is it just a cover story? Is he really an accredited teacher and just happens to have magic powers too? Is he at the school for some specific reason?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I thought she was already a student at that school.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

While it does fall into the anime cliché of all the story relevant teens being in the same class I don't really mind it. I'm speculating to some extent but I figure the reason she is there is because after being healed by Jee-Han she is well enough to go to school again, she probably really wants to go so she can have something approaching a normal life again and her father decided to have her put in the same school he teaches at so he can keep an eye on her and be there if she collapses again.

What I question more is why is her dad teaching there? Is it just a cover story? Is he really an accredited teacher and just happens to have magic powers too? Is he at the school for some specific reason?

Even a wizard needs a day job, considering that he has to be careful with regards to using his powers for personal gain in the real world. And it's much easier to keep an eye on his daughter's condition if she's at his place of work.

I'd honestly love it if it turned out that he was only doing what he was for the sake of his daughter, and now that the protagonist can at the very least keep her condition manageable he'll turn out to be much less of a threatening figure than he was before.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I reread the first few chapters and I noticed that Hwan Sung-Gon's little ring with the chains connects to a bracelet with these little hooks. He seems to detach them and re-attach them into new positions whenever he's summoning something. His bracelet has its own chains that go further up his arm.

Incidentally, how are you supposed to pronounce the characters' names?

Hw-ONE Soon-gong?
Ku-wong she-yun?
Shin Soon-eel?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Strabo4 posted:

And goddamn, that life drain ability could just break the poo poo out of everything. Does anyone remember if the soul recovery restores life force?

If soul recovery let him heal himself, could he theoretically use it to heal himself while using life drain to heal someone else? That sounds pretty broken for sure.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I wonder when he will find the cash shop?

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

Do I have to do everything, he asked intending to be facetious?
Micro Transactions

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Slime posted:

Nah, his destiny is like that of a long-time MMO player.

Raids. Nightly raids.

Imagine him trying to organize 40-man raid :v:

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Is there any reason to believe Hwan knows the MC healed his daughter, as opposed to "She's magically absorbing life force from all these spirits I'm trapping and my plan is working!"

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011

ZerodotJander posted:

Is there any reason to believe Hwan knows the MC healed his daughter, as opposed to "She's magically absorbing life force from all these spirits I'm trapping and my plan is working!"

Outside of him inexplicably knowing she's sick and claiming to have healed her, directly coinciding with her being healed?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

ZerodotJander posted:

He knew she was sick and pointed out that he helped her. And also told her that he healed her right as Hwan was showing up behind him. So he might have overheard that. Or just been told by Hwan-daughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Rinseh posted:

Micro Transactions

I would laugh so hard if he manages to find a 'Cash shop' option in his menu system. :allears: