Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like how instead of sleeping in some bizarro science bed like the SEED druggies or other psychics, Aila's "Morning of the tournament" scene was just her sitting around eating chips and watching TV. Also Kirara was clearly doing the walk of shame off screen during Fellini's part.

And Rinko is still the best.

Edit: And Patrick Mannequin gives me the warm fuzzies. The only non-preexisting hookup in 00 that survived.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Midjack posted:

That is the official title on the soundtrack.

Even better, his upgraded theme is The Master ~ The Usual Flamenco at Six Times the Passion.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
So, Aila for best cyber-newtype ever?. Why do I enjoy this show even though it is a blatant cash grab?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Because being a cash grab isn't synonymous with being bad. There are certainly a lot of bad cash grabs though!

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
So, what's the chance that Yuuki will shout out "GUNPLA! I LOVE YOU!" before the end of the series?

In fact, some please change the thread title to - Gundam Build Fighters - GUNPLA! I LOVE YOU!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

FrantzX posted:

So, what's the chance that Yuuki will shout out "GUNPLA! I LOVE YOU!" before the end of the series?

In fact, some please change the thread title to - Gundam Build Fighters - GUNPLA! I LOVE YOU!

About as likely as him saying "I am gunpla!"

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Aila spoiler for next episodes:
I knew the color scheme hinted at it but the Miss Sazabi being Aila's is surprising none the less.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Welp, since we're doing this, let's have all the OST track titles according to /m/:

Disc 1:
01: GUNDAM BUILD FIGHTERS
02: EMERGENCY
03: Po~po popo poppo popo
04: Gundam legend
05: Ready for battle
06: This week's new model of (customized) Gunpla
07: build-fight
08: Anxiety
09: foreign prince
10: I'm more of a matte-white finish guy than normal-white finish.
11: Gunpla Battle
12: The Crimson Comet ~ The usual Flamenco at Three Times the Passion ~
13: Iori Model Shop
14: Fleeting love
15: speed-star
16: Unknown Enemy
17: fairy dance
18: Battle Bar
19: Fellini's flamboyant arrival & flamboyant daily life & flamboyant/gallant attack
20: Sei's Dream
21: "Funnga-nga"
22: scar
23:
24: outlander
25: 1/48
26: Mortal combat
27: You mustn't mix up Enamel and Acrylic paint.
28: The power to advance.
29: Rival.
30: GUNDAM BUILD FIGHTERS Pf/ver
31: Nibun no ichi - [Anime version] / BACK-ON
32: Imagination>Reality [Anime Version] / AiRl
33: Gunpla World / Kirara

Disc 2:
01: The approaching threat.
02: "That meat bun, let me savour it well. They're... great things."
03: Aila - Reiji's Custom Tsundere -
04: World tournament
05: Underhand move.
06: This is how we do/Yuly
07: QuickAttack
08: Signal to counter-attack
09: Samurai-Edge
10: Rhythm of Evil Intentions
11: Meijin : The usual Flamenco at SIX times the Passion
12: Fellini's flamboyant attack MK-II
13: PowerResonance
14: "Fuhahahaha, frightening, isn't it?"
15: Passing by. (and missing the other person.)
16: Aila
17: The beginning of the end
18: Allied Force
19: And here we go, again
20: GBF -OpenTheFutureMix/Yuly
21: wimp ft. Lil' Fang (from FAKY) / BACK ON
22: Hanpan spirit [Anime version].

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Those names are completely amazing.

2-3's the best. :allears:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Those sure are some names, drat this show is just a ton of fun.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

sunburnedcrow posted:

So, Aila for best cyber-newtype ever?. Why do I enjoy this show even though it is a blatant cash grab?

Well, every Gundam ever made has been a cash grab designed to sell toys, models, and BDs, so Build Fighters being a cash grab is largely irrelevant to the quality of the show.

The show has a ton of thought put into it and actually makes a sincere effort to make the viewer connect with and care about the cast, which is why it works so damned well when they do emotional moments. You care about Fellini flashbacking about his silly toy because you care about Fellini. You care about Aila and Reiji because they actually went through the steps required to show them developing a friendship and making you root for them instead of rushing it offscreen or doing handwavey bullshit like the Four/Kamille relationship. Build Fighters is pretty great at showing and not telling, which is why it's so good.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Speaking of the BDs, I'm actually interested in seeing how they'll make the first 13 episodes even better and really want to support the show but loving Japanese BD prices. :negative:

I'll just buy all of the BF MGs someday I guess.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Kanos posted:

Well, every Gundam ever made has been a cash grab designed to sell toys, models, and BDs, so Build Fighters being a cash grab is largely irrelevant to the quality of the show.

The show has a ton of thought put into it and actually makes a sincere effort to make the viewer connect with and care about the cast, which is why it works so damned well when they do emotional moments. You care about Fellini flashbacking about his silly toy because you care about Fellini. You care about Aila and Reiji because they actually went through the steps required to show them developing a friendship and making you root for them instead of rushing it offscreen or doing handwavey bullshit like the Four/Kamille relationship. Build Fighters is pretty great at showing and not telling, which is why it's so good.

Hi Amuro, I'm Lalah Sune and even though we've only known each other for 5 minutes we're deeply in love because newtypes I guess! Oh no you killed me by accident! Now I'm a ghost!

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Those track titles sure are good.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Hi Amuro, I'm Lalah Sune and even though we've only known each other for 5 minutes we're deeply in love because newtypes I guess! Oh no you killed me by accident! Now I'm a ghost!

But but, she could have been a mother-figure to me!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

sunburnedcrow posted:

But but, she could have been a mother-figure to me!

Char's Lalah fixation makes a little more sense than Amuro's, given that he spent a whole lot more time with her(albeit almost all of it off-screen). But seriously ~newtype love~ is one of the worst parts of UC because it takes an interesting concept(newtypes are able to connect with each other on a deep level instinctively) and uses it as a way to get out of having to put effort into developing relationships. Hell, everyone bitches about Shiro and Aina from 08th having a terrible love story but their love story was basically a rote ~newtype love~ connection without the newtype excuse.

It is really amusing that Build Fighters, a story about people having toy battle tournaments, puts a lot more effort into developing interpersonal relationships between characters than most serious drama shows in the same franchise, though. Then again, G Gundam put more effort in than most Gundam shows and that was a martial arts tournament anime.

KoB
May 1, 2009

The Missing Link posted:

It's ~The Usual Flamenco at Three Times the Passion~

The way they time the "OLE!"s in with the action is the best part.

OLE!

e: Just caught up with this show in the past week and it is zakuamazing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kanos posted:

Char's Lalah fixation makes a little more sense than Amuro's, given that he spent a whole lot more time with her(albeit almost all of it off-screen). But seriously ~newtype love~ is one of the worst parts of UC because it takes an interesting concept(newtypes are able to connect with each other on a deep level instinctively) and uses it as a way to get out of having to put effort into developing relationships. Hell, everyone bitches about Shiro and Aina from 08th having a terrible love story but their love story was basically a rote ~newtype love~ connection without the newtype excuse.

It is really amusing that Build Fighters, a story about people having toy battle tournaments, puts a lot more effort into developing interpersonal relationships between characters than most serious drama shows in the same franchise, though. Then again, G Gundam put more effort in than most Gundam shows and that was a martial arts tournament anime.

I still think the best UC romance is Seabook and Cecily from F91. They've known each other for a while at the start of the movie, and they show they care for each other in multiple ways throughout.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Banana Links and Audrey is alright as well, they at least hang out together and while Bandage falls in love awfully fast Audrey only comes around to him once Bamdabim does some more stuff.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

My baby gotta have more leg

Not sure about the backpack either, the original feels kinda bolted on, maybe something Qubeley inspired... hmm, the R-Jarja backpack might look nice.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Does anyone know when the second opening is being released? I admit, that song has grown on me a lot, after I disliked it at first. It's still not quite as good as the first opening, but it's pretty nice.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm watching Bloodhound right now, and two things stick out to me. 1) Sei, don't get sheepish about asking China out on a date after the tournament when you're already, at that moment, on a date with her. And 2) What type of beer is SUPER FLY (I'm thinking a pale ale) and where can I get some?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

Does anyone know when the second opening is being released? I admit, that song has grown on me a lot, after I disliked it at first. It's still not quite as good as the first opening, but it's pretty nice.

You too? The openings are among my favorite for a Gundam show and I'm really looking forward to hearing the full version of it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

How has no one pointed put the track on the OST named "Meijin : The usual Flamenco at SIX times the Passion"? That is art.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQU8jUyX5q4
Pow! I think the next opening is officially released on March 12th, but here's the music video to tide everyone over. They're definitely among my favorite openings.

Caros
May 14, 2008

TARDISman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQU8jUyX5q4
Pow! I think the next opening is officially released on March 12th, but here's the music video to tide everyone over. They're definitely among my favorite openings.

Really? I'm legitimately surprised that the show is getting a third opening with so few episodes left.

On the other hand... WOO! Thanks by the by.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ Code Geass season 1 got a third opening for the final episode of that season. Granted it was obviously going to be getting a second season, but there's still some level of precedent. Dare we dream that this could hint at a second season of Build Fighters? :swoon:

Ethiser posted:

How has no one pointed put the track on the OST named "Meijin : The usual Flamenco at SIX times the Passion"? That is art.

Somebody did a while back. Also it is not as much art as "Aila - Reiji's Custom Tsundere -".

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 6, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Caros posted:

Really? I'm legitimately surprised that the show is getting a third opening with so few episodes left.

On the other hand... WOO! Thanks by the by.

My mistake, I meant to say that the second opening was coming out then.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Ethiser posted:

Only on this very page. :/

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

Only on this very page. :/

drat my reading comprehension.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

As someone who's spent years building tiny plastic robots, my favorite is "you musn't mix up acrylic and enamel paint."

the song title makes a good point.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I've only built minis, not models but, yeah, the results are not pretty. :cripes:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gotta admit, I'm kind of sad "THIN YOUR PAINTS GOD drat IT" wasn't a song title.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm finally current on the series, and all I can really say that hasn't been said already is that Fellini is the best dude, Fenice is the best Gunpla, and Nils and Caro are the best couple.

Also I want to believe that genderswap Heero right here is the legendary Patrick Mannequin, even though I know it'll end up being the guy who's going to be in the next episode. Anyone remember the other names who could take a guess at Ms. Heero's name?

And while I hate to say something that could be construed as "Laugh at the incompetent woman", Baker's plans constantly failing is pretty funny, especially when it leads to things like her turning away from the chairman each scene, hiding under the bar, or this: It's even better when you realize that she's basically supposed to be Lady Une.

Somebody on the staff really loved Wing, as any right-thinking human should.

vvvv Maybe, but I don't remember a Kira ever appearing, while the Heero clone did, with a Mercurius and that same hair color. Also there's an earlier shot that makes her look a bit more Heero-ish that I probably should have used instead. Actually you're right, that probably is just a random Kira.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 6, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I think you got the wrong picture there, if that guy is anyone it's Kira.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

I'm finally current on the series, and all I can really say that hasn't been said already is that Fellini is the best dude, Fenice is the best Gunpla, and Nils and Caro are the best couple.

Also I want to believe that genderswap Heero right here is the legendary Patrick Mannequin, even though I know it'll end up being the guy who's going to be in the next episode. Anyone remember the other names who could take a guess at Ms. Heero's name?

And while I hate to say something that could be construed as "Laugh at the incompetent woman", Baker's plans constantly failing is pretty funny, especially when it leads to things like her turning away from the chairman each scene, hiding under the bar, or this: It's even better when you realize that she's basically supposed to be Lady Une.

Eh, she's still infinitely more competent than her boss, so I'd say it's cool.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

I think you got the wrong picture there, if that guy is anyone it's Kira.

That can't be right, his facial expression isn't a lifeless Hirai face. :v:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

That can't be right, his facial expression isn't a lifeless Hirai face. :v:
Murrue's cameo was done in the GBF artstyle, so....

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Murrue's cameo was done in the GBF artstyle, so....

On the other hand, when Sei acted out the Bright Slap scene his eyebrows transformed into Amuro's. It was glorious.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Just hearing about this show has reminded me I sort of need to go back and finish watching Angelic Layer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh wow, the thread got stickied.

So there's around five episodes left, and we've still got to fit in the Crossbone Kai, Miss Sazabi, Exia Dark Matter, Perfect Gundam, possibly an upgrade for the Build Strike (though the odds are looking lower by the episode), and cameos of the Wing Zero and Turn A. They can probably work in most of the BF stuff in the next episode (I totally expect to see the Perfect Gundam get trashed by Exia Dark Matter to establish it as a threat), but I'm curious how they'll work in the cameos. We're no longer at the point where we can just have random competitors use the HG of the month, so they're going to have get creative.

Though it'd mean the Turn A not getting a chance to shine, I'd love it if the show ends the exact same way it begins with Sei gushing over the HG Wing Zero to an overwhelmed customer. :allears: Sazaki, of course, is in the background.

• Locked thread