Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just got a warning that a suspicious extension had been automatically disabled.

The bad guy: Google Docs :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

withak posted:

I just got a warning that a suspicious extension had been automatically disabled.

The bad guy: Google Docs :raise:

I hate hearing mom and dad fight.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Since this also kind of serves as the general Google thread, does anyone use the new Google+ Auto Backup pictures for Windows?

Does it work like a Google Drive Sync or is it more of an uploader?

I'd love to have my photos on Google+ properly (rather than using the drive integration), but I have no plans to carefully manage when things are uploaded, their versions, etc. I did that with Flickr and now I'm done with that level of engagement. If G+ could just SYNC my local picture gallery with my online one so that I could share my photos that'd be perfect.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has FancySA found any love or updates? User CP not being at the top kind of sucks, but I've learned to click Search the Forums, THEN User CP on that page. Still, one click is better than two!

Also, is there a way to set a page to 120% zoom without an extension? I have the Zoom extension, but it loads a page and then zooms it after so it's kind of jarring.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Firefox has been annoying me by being cumbersome and bulky. I'm looking to switch to chrome. The extensions I have in firefox now are adblock, downloadhelper greasemonkey, SA last read, tab mix plus, download statusbar, and tabsgroup. Can I get equivalent extensions in chrome?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Megasabin posted:

Firefox has been annoying me by being cumbersome and bulky. I'm looking to switch to chrome. The extensions I have in firefox now are adblock, downloadhelper greasemonkey, SA last read, tab mix plus, download statusbar, and tabsgroup. Can I get equivalent extensions in chrome?

Chrome Extensions: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions
SALR Chrome: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3208437

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Chrome stable for Windows updated to 33.0.1750.117 m today, and now my youtube videos won't go full screen. They just stay the same size and the rest of my monitor's filled with white space.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Welp, today Google pushed the button on stable that removed the Enable Extended Instant API flag that gave me a USEFUL new tab page. Are there any extensions that replicate it? The current new tab page is a useless piece of poo poo.

WD40
Nov 25, 2005

xarph posted:

Welp, today Google pushed the button on stable that removed the Enable Extended Instant API flag that gave me a USEFUL new tab page. Are there any extensions that replicate it? The current new tab page is a useless piece of poo poo.

I came here to find this answer as well. Considering switching browsers.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I don't understand why they have to keep loving with the new tab page. Now you have no choice but the lovely Google page and lovely "recent" thumbnails under it. It's so useless. All of the extensions I've tried so far have been lovely. I'm trying to just get over it but the new tab page that showed the "Apps" plus the recently closed list down at the bottom and stuff was just... better than this garbage.

Additionally, I got a new system tray icon which was apparently Google Notifications. I guess some people have had this for a while but it just came up from this latest Chrome update for me. No options to turn it off in Chrome settings, but if I disabled all the notifications it went away after browser restart. I am just not happy that Google is doing this stuff and not giving any options to configure it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I've been replacing my new tab page with speed dial 2 for ages. It's far more useful.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Is there a way to have Chrome not show a page until it is fully loaded?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

beejay posted:

Additionally, I got a new system tray icon which was apparently Google Notifications. I guess some people have had this for a while but it just came up from this latest Chrome update for me. No options to turn it off in Chrome settings, but if I disabled all the notifications it went away after browser restart. I am just not happy that Google is doing this stuff and not giving any options to configure it.

That notifications icon is rude as well. It just sits there looking like it has something to say and when you click on it (assuming you don't have something in g+, calendar, gmail &c) it says 'nothing to see here'. If there's nothing to see there, maybe you should push off you useless thing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

beejay posted:

It won't stay gone FYI.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Give this a shot:

chrome://flags

Enable Rich Notifications > Disabled

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

beejay posted:

I don't understand why they have to keep loving with the new tab page. Now you have no choice but the lovely Google page and lovely "recent" thumbnails under it. It's so useless. All of the extensions I've tried so far have been lovely. I'm trying to just get over it but the new tab page that showed the "Apps" plus the recently closed list down at the bottom and stuff was just... better than this garbage.

I really don't get it because you can just type something you want to search for into the address bar and it'll automatically do a Google search for you. It's literally right there. Why do I have to have another Google search that takes up half the drat page?

EDIT: vvv haha, what the gently caress. It's even worse than I thought.

JoltSpree fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 23, 2014

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

JoltSpree posted:

I really don't get it because you can just type something you want to search for into the address bar and it'll automatically do a Google search for you. It's literally right there. Why do I have to have another Google search that takes up half the drat page?

As soon as you start typing in the box, it puts you into the address bar. It's only there to show you that it's useless.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Droid Washington posted:

Has FancySA found any love or updates? User CP not being at the top kind of sucks, but I've learned to click Search the Forums, THEN User CP on that page. Still, one click is better than two!

Also, is there a way to set a page to 120% zoom without an extension? I have the Zoom extension, but it loads a page and then zooms it after so it's kind of jarring.

As far as I can tell, fancysa is completely abandoned. I asked about it last year but got no replies.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Are there any apps for getting the Recently Closed Tabs button back on the New Tab? Google's response has basically been "now you can use the menu to get to that!" and I don't really want to use the menu for it when I could just ctrl+t and click. I mean, it's not like they're running low on useless white space on the New Tab screen.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

JoltSpree posted:

EDIT: vvv haha, what the gently caress. It's even worse than I thought.

They did this a while ago because of some users of Chrome not understanding that you don't have to go to Google.com if you're on Chrome, I believe.

So they just came up with this. It might just be temporary for a while. However, it's been around for a while...

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

ThermoPhysical posted:

They did this a while ago because of some users of Chrome not understanding that you don't have to go to Google.com if you're on Chrome, I believe.

So they just came up with this. It might just be temporary for a while. However, it's been around for a while...

There are users who, upon loading IE8 for the first time that day, automatically visit their home page, MSN.com, and punch "Google" into Bing to visit Google.com so they can search for cat videos on YouTube.

It's going to be here for a while.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Blue Moonlight posted:

There are users who, upon loading IE8 for the first time that day, automatically visit their home page, MSN.com, and punch "Google" into Bing to visit Google.com so they can search for cat videos on YouTube.

That's really, really sad...but true.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Blue Moonlight posted:

One of my professors does this exactly (except she looks up Frontline and 60 Minutes clips). She has ADHD, though, so she kind of has an excuse, but it's still really annoying when she does it.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Background tabs have been acting up for me on my home and work computers for the last couple of months.

Specifically Youtube videos playing in the background will stutter if any other activity is taking place in the same Chrome window, like loading new tabs. I have whatever the most recent official build is because I reinstalled out of desperation on both machines, as well as deactivating all plugins. Nothing helps. The odd thing is if the video is playing in another Chrome window then there's no interference at all, so I don't think it's a problem with either machine's hardware. Fullscreen HD playback has been intermittently choppy too.

Prior to this I had a problem where any Youtube video I opened with a middle click wouldn't load the player. I could hear the audio but there was no videos or controls. That seems to have fixed itself.

I've also noticed in the last few days that half of the tabs I open with a middle click won't load at all, and need to be manually refreshed before anything appears.

I dunno. I don't want to go back to Firefox but between this and all the Google+ bullshit, using Chrome has been loving miserable lately. I just want to know if anyone else has been experiencing this because if so then I trust it'll be remedied eventually.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

Are there any apps for getting the Recently Closed Tabs button back on the New Tab? Google's response has basically been "now you can use the menu to get to that!" and I don't really want to use the menu for it when I could just ctrl+t and click. I mean, it's not like they're running low on useless white space on the New Tab screen.

If your question is "can i do X on the new tab" the answer is probably speed dial 2. You should use speed dial 2.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
It seemed like Google had fixed the font rendering issue for a bit but now fonts look like poo poo again on Windows?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

joedevola posted:

Background tabs have been acting up for me on my home and work computers for the last couple of months.

Specifically Youtube videos playing in the background will stutter if any other activity is taking place in the same Chrome window, like loading new tabs. I have whatever the most recent official build is because I reinstalled out of desperation on both machines, as well as deactivating all plugins. Nothing helps. The odd thing is if the video is playing in another Chrome window then there's no interference at all, so I don't think it's a problem with either machine's hardware. Fullscreen HD playback has been intermittently choppy too.

Prior to this I had a problem where any Youtube video I opened with a middle click wouldn't load the player. I could hear the audio but there was no videos or controls. That seems to have fixed itself.

I've also noticed in the last few days that half of the tabs I open with a middle click won't load at all, and need to be manually refreshed before anything appears.

I dunno. I don't want to go back to Firefox but between this and all the Google+ bullshit, using Chrome has been loving miserable lately. I just want to know if anyone else has been experiencing this because if so then I trust it'll be remedied eventually.

YouTube has just been a shitstorm lately. I've had a thing lately where you can start on a results list, click a video and have it play, then click back to your results... and the video keeps playing in the background. You can't shut it up. It's like how the Android app can display the video in a mini window while you browse results, except the mini window isn't there.

I've always had glitchy audio performance in the browser too, including Play Music (which I run as a pinned app so it's a separate window) which can freeze or bzzzzt if anything exciting's going on in another program. And lately my SA tab has been running up memory usage of like 1.5GB. The whole thing's bizarre and I honestly don't even know why I keep using it. Fuckin' google's got me reeled in...

On the plus side I'm on beta so you have all this still to come :thumbsup:

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

baka kaba posted:

YouTube has just been a shitstorm lately. I've had a thing lately where you can start on a results list, click a video and have it play, then click back to your results... and the video keeps playing in the background.

On the plus side I'm on beta so you have all this still to come :thumbsup:

Nah, I've had that too.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The latest stable OSX build now has some hilarious bug where doing searches can cause the entire screen (not the window, the screen) to flash.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Maybe this is a shot in the dark but does anyone know of how to change the language for labels in Google maps?

Checking out the layout of Ukraine today and it's all in Ukrainian and I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to change the label language in the new version of Maps.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Thwomp posted:

Maybe this is a shot in the dark but does anyone know of how to change the language for labels in Google maps?

Checking out the layout of Ukraine today and it's all in Ukrainian and I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to change the label language in the new version of Maps.

For me, it's in both languages by default:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

beejay posted:

Blargh, I already set the "stop loving with my new tab page option", this is far more infuriating than it should be.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

For me, it's in both languages by default:

Well, my thing was I want it to say Kiev, not Kyiv.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Thwomp posted:

Well, my thing was I want it to say Kiev, not Kyiv.

I don't understand, it's completely clear what it's referring to, and Kyiv is an accepted English writing of the city name.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't understand, it's completely clear what it's referring to, and Kyiv is an accepted English writing of the city name.

Well maybe it's just me in that I've never seen it spelled that way. However, Wikipedia also lists it there so consider me educated.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Maneki Neko posted:

Blargh, I already set the "stop loving with my new tab page option", this is far more infuriating than it should be.

Apparently the new version depreciated that option; stupid new tab page is here to stay.

Recent tabs was the best thing ever. Dicks.

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014

EugeneJ posted:

Chrome stable for Windows updated to 33.0.1750.117 m today, and now my youtube videos won't go full screen. They just stay the same size and the rest of my monitor's filled with white space.

I'm getting it too on 33.0.1750.146 m

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Is it just me or did the option to right click -> open link/search google go away with the latest update? I use that constantly and the only extension I found that is similar just searches google, it's not smart enough to realize something is a page even when it's not a link.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DemonMage posted:

Is it just me or did the option to right click -> open link/search google go away with the latest update? I use that constantly and the only extension I found that is similar just searches google, it's not smart enough to realize something is a page even when it's not a link.

No, that functionality is still present in 33.0.1750.146 stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Fame Douglas posted:

No, that functionality is still present in 33.0.1750.146 stable.
Here in 34.0.1487.45 beta too