Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Replaced the fork gaiters, adjusted the headlight aim height, drained the crankcase breather hose.

Now to look for some metal clamps tomorrow to replace the plastic strips I had to use on the bottom, as the stock accordion ones only had metal clamps on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Stainless zip ties should work great for that? Biltema, art nr 24391.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Would those gaitors be safe for a daily ridden bike?
On my GS I've had three fork tubes get dinged and start leaking over the past few years because the chrome is super soft or something. If I could avoid that it would be great but having them hold moisture and rust the chrome off.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Edit: Well, I'd think so. The gaiters is 2 pieces, 1 fastened on top and one on bottom. on the back side of them is a velcro. If there is long periods of rain, or you've been out in a bad rain storm I'd just open the velcro and peel them upwards and downwards like a banana.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Stainless zip ties should work great for that? Biltema, art nr 24391.

Good call, I'll head there tomorrow.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 6, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I went downstairs to check (and inflate) my tires today. Turns out the front was about 10 psi low -- oops!

I also did a lap of the parking garage with no helmet and scared myself silly when I did a head check and noticed something following me really close. I realized after a second that I was being tailgated by my tail case.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Aired the tires, cranked it over and dusted it off. Like, literally dusted, it's been in a parking garage all winter and I took a swiffer to it.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
After the rain we had yesterday washing off my harley felt like washing a dirt bike that just came back after wallowing in mud.

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

duct-taped the left signal back on this morning

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Stared longingly at it before getting in my Jeep to go to work.

drat you poo poo weather. Wheres spring already :(

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I got your spring right here! High of 52 today! Yeah!

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

I got your spring right here! High of 52 today! Yeah!

We had that two days ago. Went from 5 degrees to 49 in about 4 hours. Bunch of ice expanded in the spigot on the side of my house and exploded pissing a couple hundred gallons of water into my lawn before I got home to notice it. rip.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Today I fixed the left front blinker. It was just a bit too much corrosion in the bulb holder. Contact cleaner, and some light filing was enough.

Also I replaced the plastic strips on the bottom of the fork gaiters with metal ones and put in a new bar end on the throttle side.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I rode the R1 in ratbike mode today. This thing has been sitting in the backyard for the like 6 years. Swapped the motor, carbs, wiring harness, forks, etc etc from a box of parts I was given. I'd thought about building it like six months ago and had budgeted $1700... Here I am having spent $50 total, everything was free - boxes of parts and the bike.

All I need to do is find a used race tail, some kind of undertray, find a set of race takeoffs, and sort a few things out for a <$500 trackbike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress I'm jealous. How the crikey gently caress can anyone, anywhere, build a literbike from a free box of parts?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It was certainly a weird set of circumstances to get to this point - friend owned the 2000 R1 with a blown motor, new guy started at my job who just moved from Chicago, Il with a 2001 R1 in pieces and traded me the parts in exchange for fixing another R1. :psyduck: I ended up getting my GSXR750 from another guy at work who bought it off the dude with the blown R1, who prior to that I PPI'd the 750 and rode it home like two years ago. Woooo clusterfuck.

edit: I guess my job is a bunch of motorcycle incest, along with coworker incest.

edit2: You know what's fun? Dumping the full capacity of the cooling system onto the rear tire while in the middle of wrapping out third gear. Bahahahahahaha. This bike is retarded. What the gently caress am I doing with my life?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 13, 2014

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What are you doing with your life? Umm winning?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

I went downstairs to check (and inflate) my tires today. Turns out the front was about 10 psi low -- oops!

I also did a lap of the parking garage with no helmet and scared myself silly when I did a head check and noticed something following me really close. I realized after a second that I was being tailgated by my tail case.

The top-end cacophony didn't scare you before that?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Coredump posted:

What are you doing with your life? Umm winning?

To be fair, I haven't slept in almost two days because I ran out of lunesta and I have no idea what's going on right now. I have work in four hours.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

To be fair, I haven't slept in almost two days because I ran out of lunesta and I have no idea what's going on right now. I have work in four hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-vDYOpkoWE

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

It was certainly a weird set of circumstances to get to this point - friend owned the 2000 R1 with a blown motor, new guy started at my job who just moved from Chicago, Il with a 2001 R1 in pieces and traded me the parts in exchange for fixing another R1. :psyduck: I ended up getting my GSXR750 from another guy at work who bought it off the dude with the blown R1, who prior to that I PPI'd the 750 and rode it home like two years ago. Woooo clusterfuck.

edit: I guess my job is a bunch of motorcycle incest, along with coworker incest.

edit2: You know what's fun? Dumping the full capacity of the cooling system onto the rear tire while in the middle of wrapping out third gear. Bahahahahahaha. This bike is retarded. What the gently caress am I doing with my life?

Yeah maybe you shouldn't move to CA. You might turn into motorcycle/coworker voltron or something.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Explain the voltron thing :downs: I'm retarded

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

Explain the voltron thing :downs: I'm retarded

If we give you too much access to motorcycles and coworkers, you might end up a giant incestuous human/motorcycle/coworker hybrid?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That sounds loving amazing. :pilot:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Z3n posted:

If we give you too much access to motorcycles and coworkers, you might end up a giant incestuous human/motorcycle/coworker hybrid?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Checked the valves on my girlfriend's Ninja 250. She had a valve cover leak so I figure I'd check while I'm in there. Gotta replace a few gaskets and do a coolant flush but her bike is looking pretty top! Well, for a Ninja 250, anyway.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Replaced the oil drainer o-ring on the Hyosung. It has a bizarre setup where the drain plug threads into a round plate about 3" across, which itself is held to the engine casing with 3 8mm bolts. When you take it off, all you see is a machined passage going up with a grate over it which I think is the pickup, and a smaller passage at the side which I assume is a return. I guess it means the engine can't ever starve of oil because it acts like the world's most efficient baffle, and the pickup is right under the center of the gearbox.

Anyway, the plate has a groove with an o-ring sitting in it that mates against a flat surface on the engine. Some nupty had replaced the o-ring, then for some reason smeared the whole thing in sealer, thus completely defeating the point of the o-ring.

Now there are no more drips on the garage floor and I'd be a whole lot more proud if it weren't a Hyosung 250.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Lubricated the sticky high/low beam button with some ptfe lube. Lets see how long it lasts.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Dropped the DRZ cylinder off for 435 bore. Picking it up with a forged piston, hot cams, fresh gaskets, and FCR jets when it's done.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Whatever that brown orb is made of, its highly polished.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Zool posted:

its highly polished.

More than you could say for any DRZ

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
You guys are dicks. Sorry about my plebe sumo. I envy every Husky and KTM, trust me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the main reason that's coming up is because for the typical cost of a DRZ big bore you could sell the DRZ and buy a KTM, husky, or whatever else.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I guess. I only spent $300 on the bore and piston. The stage 1 hot cams were another $250 though so I suppose you're right.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I get it, I dumped a lot of money into my DRZ and then had a bike that would only go 100 miles with the oversized tank cause gas mileage was poo poo and it was still blown out of the water by a stock 690. Sold it and bought the 690. What can you do? :v:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Move to Scandinavia and fill a shed with Husabergs

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yerok posted:

Move to Scandinavia and fill a shed with Husabergs

The best idea.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
If you really want to talk about turd polishing I'll look up the total cost of rebuilding my RD400 from barn find condition.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Yerok posted:

If you really want to talk about turd polishing I'll look up the total cost of rebuilding my RD400 from barn find condition.

Speaking of polishing a turd, I cleaned my bike today! I finally washed off all the salt and crap caked all over everything.

Before:

Close up:

After!

Tomorrow I plan on finally fixing my temperature gauge.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

A turd to break all tables.