Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Gladiators did actually start fights by issuing paid endorsements. "Eat at Clodius' Bread and Circuses. True Roman bread for true Romans!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

MrNemo posted:

Gladiators did actually start fights by issuing paid endorsements. "Eat at Clodius' Bread and Circuses. True Roman bread for true Romans!"

Hey kid, thanks. *throws you a bloody tunic*

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Friends, Ukrainians, countrymen, lend me your ears:

Viktor Pshonka, the former Prosecutor General of Ukraine (from November 4, 2010 until February 22, 2014) living like a true Roman politician :cryingeagle:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Guess where the base for that picture was taken from?

Asterix at the Olympic Games

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Autocrats. :allears:

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

my dad posted:

Guess where the base for that picture was taken from?

Asterix at the Olympic Games

So it was just his entry in the Ukrainian equivalent of a Photoshop thread.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Seoinin posted:

Hey kid, thanks. *throws you a bloody tunic*

It's even more modern than that. Chariot teams had hardcore fans that would riot if their team won, or if their team lost. There wasn't even any cultural baggage assigned to the teams. They just liked to riot.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Those interested in the disintegration period of the western empire might get something from Chris Wickham's The Inheritance of Rome, which I'm currently reading. It explores how different parts of Europe adapted to the loss of the imperial administration, keeping some imperial institutions (such as church councils), discarding others, and later readopting some under papal influence. I've found it mostly readable, although at times (as when discussing Ireland and Wales) it lapses into "chronology of kings" tedium.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
e. eh, stupid post. n/m

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 5, 2014

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Sorry if this has been asked before, but, whats the deal with greek fire? The wikipedia page on it is pretty informative (I think) but why is that we really don't know what it is? Was it a state secret that got lost in time? Did the knowledge slowly fade away? I just don't understand how something that was such a game changer just disappear?

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

Titan posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but, whats the deal with greek fire? The wikipedia page on it is pretty informative (I think) but why is that we really don't know what it is? Was it a state secret that got lost in time? Did the knowledge slowly fade away? I just don't understand how something that was such a game changer just disappear?

We don't know the romans recipe for concrete either, ours is quite inferior

*edit* alright I stand corrected

it seems we learned the makeup of it quite recently?

Al Harrington fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 6, 2014

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Al Harrington posted:

I thought we did; the secret ingredient being pozzolanic volcanic ash

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Al Harrington posted:

Haha nope. You can build 1000 feet high without rebar with modern concrete, it's just a bitch and a half to pour. The stronger the concrete, the faster it sets, so transport is a serious problem. "Inferior" concrete is much cheaper to work with, that's why we use it for most stuff.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Titan posted:

It was a state secret so the recipe doesn't exist. The various attempts to re-create it are probably pretty accurate, but there's no way to know for sure. I think the two sticking points are that it is consistently described to keep burning underwater, and it's mentioned that urine will extinguish it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Grand Fromage posted:

It was a state secret so the recipe doesn't exist. The various attempts to re-create it are probably pretty accurate, but there's no way to know for sure. I think the two sticking points are that it is consistently described to keep burning underwater, and it's mentioned that urine will extinguish it.

Are those accounts on the giving or the taking end? I can totally see the "piss it out, boys, quick!" part being a devilishly clever bit of psychological warfare.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Volmarias posted:

Are those accounts on the giving or the taking end? I can totally see the "piss it out, boys, quick!" part being a devilishly clever bit of psychological warfare.

I dunno, there's lots of urban legends about urine solving problem X (where X =/= tanning hides) that are generally false. Like jellyfish stings and chlorine gas attacks. So that might just be a Russian legend about what to do when your raiding ship got squirted with napalm because people who tried it probably didn't get a chance to report its failure.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Volmarias posted:

I'm not sure about that, it's just something I've read in the attempts to re-create Greek fire.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Volmarias posted:

Note thread title.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.
The Landmark series has been mentioned a few times in the thread for its editions of ancient Greek literature. Does the Landmark series cover Roman history as well? If it doesn't, are there translations/editions of medieval Roman literature, like Anna Comnena or Psellus, similar to the Landmark series?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

brozozo posted:

The Landmark series has been mentioned a few times in the thread for its editions of ancient Greek literature. Does the Landmark series cover Roman history as well? If it doesn't, are there translations/editions of medieval Roman literature, like Anna Comnena or Psellus, similar to the Landmark series?

It looks like they have Caesar coming to print soon, but right now it's Herodotus, Thucy, the Hellenika, and Polybius.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

brozozo posted:

I haven't checked it in regards to medieval Roman literature, but Perseus is a great resource for translations of ancient Greek and Roman literature. Most of the translations are circa early 20th century, but it's still perfectly readable. http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/collections

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Zopotantor posted:

Note thread title.

As I don't know Latin and automatic translation isn't that helpful ("assent that burns cock sodomized") I'd love a less opaque explanation.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

If you gently caress fire, you're gonna get burned.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ynglaur posted:

Not quite correct. The Secretary of Defense is only authorized to do so by an act of Congress. Historically it's been a very pro forma exercise, generally bundled with other administrative items, but it technically takes an act of Congress to make a Second Lieutenant/Ensign/etc.

You are correct that the Congress is not mentioned in the oath of office at all.

It's an odd dichotomy: on the one hand, officers swear to obey the executive branch ("all legal orders" et al.); on the other, they are ultimately accountable to the People. I won't pretend it always works (see: Abu Ghraib).

If we're gonna get into this level of detail, Congress creates the office, the executive nominates an appointee, Congress approves him/her, and the executive commissions him/her. For most ranks, this is done en masse, while for senior officers it's generally (no pun intended) done individually. For the most part, O-1s are nominated and approved in a list of thousands as college/OTS/OCS/etc graduation dates approach. The Secretary of Defense's authority comes directly from the President...his authority to delegate may be spelled out in a law somewhere, I'm not sure about that part. But such authority is also delegated to the service secretaries as well. Sec Roche's signature is stamped on mine.

Edit: We are really off-topic at this point.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 7, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Excellent (and accurate) summary. Thank you.

Back on topic: while Centurions were elected by their centuries, how were they promoted? Did the entire century get promoted at once? Likewise, cohorts: did an entire cohort go from being Cohort IX to Cohort VIII, or did individuals transfer to more senior/prestigious cohorts?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jeoh posted:

If you gently caress fire, you're gonna get burned.

Thanks!

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Ynglaur posted:

Back on topic: while Centurions were elected by their centuries, how were they promoted? Did the entire century get promoted at once? Likewise, cohorts: did an entire cohort go from being Cohort IX to Cohort VIII, or did individuals transfer to more senior/prestigious cohorts?

Any and all of these probably happened at one point. Centurions were a thousand-year old institution and a great deal of their internal mechanism is lost. Some armies promoted on commander recognition, others on seniority, or popularity, or what have you. Centuries/cohorts probably moved depending on casualties, Romans were fond of just slapping half-strength units together and calling them "gemina" at the legionary size so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the rule all the way down. These guys liked to put names and numbers on poo poo just like modern armies do, so it's a really good bet that no one was in much of a hurry to re-label a hundred shields because some REMF decided 5th cohort was moving to 4th, etc.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Reading a prosopographical text is kind of fun, and you get to learn a whole bunch about the thousands of people who lived and died in the Roman empire, like this guy:

quote:

Aedesius, Pagan seer, son of Chrysanthius of Sardis, delivered infallible oracles merely by placing a garland on his head and looking up at the sun, died aged 20.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

So is there any word on whether or not his habit of staring at the sun played a role in his death?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Fucker is spot on INFALLIBLE.
Dead at 20 though, you'd think he'd see that coming, sun-staring or no.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Agean90 posted:

So is there any word on whether or not his habit of staring at the sun played a role in his death?

Sadly, I think that will remain forever one of the great mysteries of history.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
And thus, breatharianism was born.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I remember seeing a show about everyday life for the "regular' Romans, and the host reading a surviving plaque for a gravesite that basically said (after a brief rundown of his life, family and interests),"This is so sweet, now I'm dead and I don't have to pay the bills anymore."

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I remember seeing a show about everyday life for the "regular' Romans, and the host reading a surviving plaque for a gravesite that basically said (after a brief rundown of his life, family and interests),"This is so sweet, now I'm dead and I don't have to pay the bills anymore."

That's what I want my gravestone to say, only in the original Latin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was quite surprised that I was able to find an online copy of the documentary just based on my vague memory of a dead guy pleased not to have to worry about his bills.

It's from Mary Beard's 3 part series "Meet The Romans" which I found quite an enjoyable watch. The section wasn't quite as I remembered it but it was pretty close and you see can the original Latin too. No more aching feet, I don't have to worry about food, and I get to live rent free forever!

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Found a few more. One sweet, the others mostly funny.

quote:

Eugenius, usurper. Commander of 500 infantry engaged on harbour work at Seleucia. His men proclaimed him emperor and marched on Antioch where they were defeated.

It must have been lovely to be a commander in this period. I've seen lots of inscriptions where the troops proclaimed their commander emperor and the commander seems more or less obliged to along with it.

quote:

Heliodorus. Fishmonger, took up oratory and became a very successful and rich advocate... Libanius speaks of him with disdain as a successful upstart.

quote:

Iniuriosus, senator. Rich, an only child, married a wealthy bride but at her request never consummated the marriage; after their death they were known as the 'Dui Amantes'

quote:

Macedonius, Mag. Off. ...After Gratian's death he was apparently accused of official misconduct and fled to a church in Milan, but failing to find the door was arrested.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Was the notion of "Born into Purple" basically a plot by Byzantine nobles to weaken the Emperor?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Octy posted:

It must have been lovely to be a commander in this period. I've seen lots of inscriptions where the troops proclaimed their commander emperor and the commander seems more or less obliged to along with it.

Read about Constantine III's elevation. More specifically, read about the two poor bastards who preceded him.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Was the notion of "Born into Purple" basically a plot by Byzantine nobles to weaken the Emperor?

I think it was a plot by Paradox to generate unrest in the empire. There was one ”born in the purple” emperor and it was mostly a ”gently caress you” to the Patriarch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Octy posted:

Read up on Gordian I & II. The second worst day of their lives was the day the local garrison and people of Carthage proclaimed them co-emperors. Gordian I begged the crowds to not go through with it.

The worst day? The one when the Senate recognized them as the true Emperors and painted huge targets on their backs for Maximinus Thrax and anybody else who could see which way the wind was blowing.