Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Kytrarewn posted:

As for smaller games, the guy who made Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden was seated on the couch while the game was being played, while both The Mask for SNES and Surgeon Simulator 2013 had developers on the phone during their runs.

I highly recommend The Mask run's dev commentary, dude had excellent insights into a lot of the music stuff about the game. Didn't actually see the Barkley run, was it worth watching? I'd pass on the Surgeon Simulator 2013 run though, I think the dev commentary on that run could be best summed up by when the devs asked a pertinent speedrun question and the runner completely cut them off and didn't answer their question instead to do more ~hilarious reactions~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Mr DJB posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, why didn't anyone tell me about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgtAXCaSlpk

Camcorder LP or not, hearing commentary from the developers themselves is awesome! I'd love to see more stuff like this if anyone can find it. The only thing I can think of that comes close is hearing Mike Pollock (Eggman) co-commentating in a Sonic Unleashed stream on Twitch.

That is pretty cool! It's always interesting to hear what the developer has to say about their game.

I happened to watch a really old one from Kayin, the guy who made I Wanna Be The Guy.

As much as I hate his game, he's a pretty chill guy! He's using a camcorder, but still ends up being way better than just about any other LP of the game on YouTube, especially back in 2007.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Kayin was also a developer who called into AGDQ for both IWBTG and IWBTG:Gaiden, which made for some entertaining commentary over the runs.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hey, if we're speaking of developer commentary, you can't forget uselesspodcasts, who are two of the many guys at insomniac who worked on Ratchet & Clank. They've done commentaries over 2 and 3. These guys have a pretty fun rapport, they constantly give each other poo poo for their designs, they have great stories to share, and sometimes they have other developers on as guests. Even if you've never played the games before (I hadn't, but I did buy Tools of Destruction probably mostly because of watching this), if you have the tiniest bit of interest in game development this is fantastic.

DWK
Sep 18, 2009
It's not an "off-SA" LP, but These two guys had the programmer and designer of Vessel join them and it was pretty interesting.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

DWK posted:

It's not an "off-SA" LP, but These two guys had the programmer and designer of Vessel join them and it was pretty interesting.

I absolutely love poo poo like this, so please disregard the "outside SA" or any other designation to post more.

MGN001
May 12, 2012

DWK posted:

Do you have a link for people who don't have archives access?

DWK
Sep 18, 2009
Here's their Youtube channel.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
Way back in time when Gamespot first started letting people upload videos, some guy had a series called "how not to play hitman"; where he successfully plays various missions from the Hitman franchise where he kills a many people as possible. I enjoyed it a lot; though the later entries into the series started to focus more on his developing video editing skills. I don't know if it has been brought up before, but here is the first video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRC5ab5tLUY

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
Slowbeef, your mailbox is still full. I just thought you might want to be careful with your recent Retsupurae video - even if it's a joke, people have been getting strikes recently for jamming keywords in the description box (they might have been community strikes, but it's still a hassle).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's not a full playthrough, sadly but Elias Toufexis is played a little of Deus Ex: Human Revolution here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flszuT3ROdo

THAT'S HIS NORMAL VOICE!

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

unfair posted:

Slowbeef, your mailbox is still full. I just thought you might want to be careful with your recent Retsupurae video - even if it's a joke, people have been getting strikes recently for jamming keywords in the description box (they might have been community strikes, but it's still a hassle).

What if they went back and misspelt every single 'tag'? :v:

Also- try holding with both hands. Good advice

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I really enjoyed the developer commentary for Bayonetta. Bayonetta is utterly insane and Hideki Kamiya is cas as gently caress, so it's a lot of fun. There's a lot of really neat behind the scenes stuff, and it's just cool to hear his thoughts on things outside of twitter. If nothing else, it's hilarious hearing him go "Hey, I got an achievement :geno:"

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

RareAcumen posted:

It's not a full playthrough, sadly but Elias Toufexis is played a little of Deus Ex: Human Revolution here.

Well holy poo poo, RealTimski and I might as well close up shop. That's loving incredible!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
DarkSyde Jim Sterling - he starts at 3:00.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jim-yahtzees-rhymedown-spectacular/8857-The-Dark-Syde

unfair posted:

Paingod556 posted:

What if they went back and misspelt every single 'tag'? :v:

Hmm... You know what, I might not want to risk it regardless. Thanks for the heads up.

Also sorry about the inbox. I'm really not sure how to get rid of all the PMs (there's a few I want to save) without a bulk delete or manually combing through.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 5, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I initially thought the poem was just a generic ode to lovely LPers/streamers. Then he did The Laugh. Pretty good, all in all, kind of a more literary take on the Retsupurae sketch video you guys did a while ago.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
I'm hesitant to include this because it's a gimmick, but goddamn is it one of the strangest gimmicks I've ever stumbled across on Youtube that can't go without mention.

Drowning video game characters in every game where it is possible to submerge them

It's kinda fascinating (read: scary) how dedicated the guy is to it, with even WarioWare of all games being included on the list.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Strange, I don't see the drowning of Guybrush Threepwood on the list.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

DialTheDude posted:

I'm hesitant to include this because it's a gimmick, but goddamn is it one of the strangest gimmicks I've ever stumbled across on Youtube that can't go without mention.

Drowning video game characters in every game where it is possible to submerge them

It's kinda fascinating (read: scary) how dedicated the guy is to it, with even WarioWare of all games being included on the list.

This is getting me all wet too if you know what I mean

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

DialTheDude posted:

Pretty sure this is a weird sexual thing for them.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Listening to Slowbeef talk about his adventures in the Let's Play Subreddit made me venture there today. Apparently Wednesday is "What are you watching Wednesday" and you are somehow not discouraged from mentioning yourself or your videos. Anyways, the first poster says he's watching Markiplier, so if you were wondering what people doing LPs on Reddit enjoy, there you go.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Lazyfire posted:

Apparently Wednesday is "What are you watching Wednesday" and you are somehow not discouraged from mentioning yourself or your videos.

The funny part? You actually are! It's just so many people do it, the moderator(s) don't/can't really do anything about it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

slowbeef posted:

The funny part? You actually are! It's just so many people do it, the moderator(s) don't/can't really do anything about it.

I don't know a thing about how Reddit works; can you get banned/probated if you break rules there?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

slowbeef posted:

Isn't that kind of Reddit in a nutshell? There are good things that come with having a large community but "easy moderation" sure as hell isn't one of them.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't know a thing about how Reddit works; can you get banned/probated if you break rules there?

The only site-wide rule is that you can't helldump anyone. Subredditors set the tone for each subreddit, and they can ban people there.

But it's considered a giant piece of drama when you ban somebody, so not a lot of subreddits do it. Some subreddits, like /r/AskScience, try to enforce a specific tone and are a lot more strict, and will actively ban anybody for posting memes / jokes / whatever.

The quality in a place like /r/AskScience is a lot higher than /r/letsplay.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DialTheDude posted:

I'm at least 99.9% certain that the reason behind this is "I just want Ulillillia-senpai to notice me!".

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

slowbeef posted:

My mistake, it says at the top they want videos that aren't your own.

So far Markiplier and PewDiePie have appeared a couple times, one guy "jokingly" suggested someone watch his channel, YogsCast and MindCrack people have been suggested. So Reddit is basically the people who actually click on the "Suggested videos/channels" thing on the front page?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

ChaosArgate posted:

They tend to start by just deleting offending posts, but they have banning and shadowbanning for the bad people.

I feel like it's kind of difficult to frame the entirety of reddit as the people who actively post in one thread/subreddit, or the people who moderate it (given the number of lurkers and people who just don't post in those parts or interact with those people), but yeah, the LP subreddit is kind of lovely and basically just annoying people crawling over each other for promotion. I think it's just a fact of life that anywhere that picked up on LP in the past four or five years is probably leaning to the youtube side simply because that's what the vast majority of it is.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 5, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Reddit's LP community is apparently so toxic that there are no longer downvote buttons for threads, as a quick trip to the "Top" tab will show they were there once and everyone just downvoted everyone else to get their poo poo promoted.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

Reddit's LP community is apparently so toxic that there are no longer downvote buttons for threads, as a quick trip to the "Top" tab will show they were there once and everyone just downvoted everyone else to get their poo poo promoted.

This is a bigger problem in small subreddits obviously, since a single up/down vote can sway the ratio a lot. That said, it's just disabled via CSS, so if you have something like Reddit Enhancement Suite you can just turn off the subreddit style and your downvote button is magically back.

I tend to browse /r/letsplay, but avoid the megathreads. I'm glad they added them though because almost all self-promotion is now relegated to those, which makes trying to find interesting topics a lot more pleasant experience. There are a lot of people that are super-new to LP there, and although a lot of the questions are repetitive there is sometimes an interesting one.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

unfair posted:

This is a bigger problem in small subreddits obviously, since a single up/down vote can sway the ratio a lot. That said, it's just disabled via CSS, so if you have something like Reddit Enhancement Suite you can just turn off the subreddit style and your downvote button is magically back.

I tend to browse /r/letsplay, but avoid the megathreads. I'm glad they added them though because almost all self-promotion is now relegated to those, which makes trying to find interesting topics a lot more pleasant experience. There are a lot of people that are super-new to LP there, and although a lot of the questions are repetitive there is sometimes an interesting one.

Does reddit have FAQs for subreddits? Seems like it could be an easy solution there.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Subreddits can have wikis.

http://www.reddit.com/r/letsplay/wiki/index

Subreddit moderators often put FAQs there, but it seems /r/letsplay doesn't have one.

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011
It does have an FAQ. It doesn't look like it has been updated for awhile though and doesn't really have much structure either. Everyone on there seems to obsessed with Blue Yeti microphones.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Migeman posted:

It does have an FAQ. It doesn't look like it has been updated for awhile though and doesn't really have much structure either. Everyone on there seems to obsessed with Blue Yeti microphones.

Well that's probably because Blue Yetis are great. :colbert:

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Subreddits can have wikis.

http://www.reddit.com/r/letsplay/wiki/index

Subreddit moderators often put FAQs there, but it seems /r/letsplay doesn't have one.

This one from the sidebar is a bit more readable: http://www.reddit.com/r/letsplay/wiki/guides - there are still a lot of common topics not covered though, and I'm not sure that new people really look at the wiki anyway.

Before they added a couple new moderators it was very common to see self-promotional threads sitting around for a while before they got deleted, and there were usually at least 5 per day. Out of curiosity a while back I started tagging people who broke the rules, to see if it was just a few repeat offenders or a lot of new people. Turns out there are a ton of new LPers, because I rarely saw duplicates. In a year I saw at least 2000 new people and that's just posting on a subreddit, so you can imagine how many others just try their luck on YouTube.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

What exactly makes something a self-promotional thread? I mean, basically every LP thread is self-promotional to an extent. Are we talking like a low-content "come check out my Youtube channel in case I eventually do something!" post or what you'd call a Youtube dump around here?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Edit: Nevermind. I'm dumb and didn't read the post thoroughly.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 6, 2014

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Attestant posted:

Pretty sure this is a weird sexual thing for them.

Funny you mention that. Some time ago while looking for video content of a game I really like, I found a youtube channel that described itself as a "Gyaku ryona" related channel (which means something like, gay abuse or dominance or something) where all the videos would be of fighting games with no commentary or anything but they would be focused on the big muscley characters grabbing other male characters, some would just be of win or lose poses, and some of the characters would be customized to the point where they'd be wearing almost nothing. Basically every video had "(gay orientated)" in the title.

It was funny as it was scary. I mean, what he likes is his own business but ya know, to each their own I guess.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

slowbeef posted:

DarkSyde Jim Sterling - he starts at 3:00.

Yahtzee is pretty drat talented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

What exactly makes something a self-promotional thread? I mean, basically every LP thread is self-promotional to an extent. Are we talking like a low-content "come check out my Youtube channel in case I eventually do something!" post or what you'd call a Youtube dump around here?

Yeah, people just leaving a link to one of their videos, or their channel - many times without any explanation of why people would even want to look at their "episode 15 of Borderlands" over that of anyone else. Most of the subreddit threads are now either requests for help, or conversations on marketing or subjective topics. (e.g. what mic to buy, how many videos to release per day, live or post commentary?)

The change banning self-promotion outside the megathreads is fairly recent (a few months maybe?) and before that the subreddit was just a wall of "episode 5 of this" and "episode 29 of that" updates. Because of how Reddit weights threads you can't even keep all of one LP in a single thread, so it's a horrible solution for broadcasting LP updates.

• Locked thread