Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Waffles Inc. posted:

Like, does it loop back around the digits or something, like a mileage meter in reverse?

1, 0, 9?
Yup, it rolls around in whatever base you're counting in, decrementing the next column by one (or adding to the bottom row of that column in the second 'old math' way he does it, which is probably the least straightforward).

Either way makes sense if that's how you were taught it, but in the new way you can see the 1's as they are carried around, so it's more illustrative.

Most of the objection is as always "it's new and different and I don't like it", but some of the New Math concepts that died out shortly after inclusion such as looking at the mathematical process as sets genuinely confused parents.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1529/what-exactly-was-the-new-math has more about it, along with some bonus :smug: at the bottom about modern education.

edit: For content, the bottom comment/addition on that link. It's a vintage one, I can remember it floating around email Fw:Fws in the late 90s, and it's insufferably smug about 'school in my day' with a dose of 'hippie librul teachers'.

quote:

The following examples may help to clarify the difference between the new and old math.

1960: A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of this price. What is his profit?

1970 (Traditional math): A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. What is his profit?

1975 (New Math): A logger exchanges a set L of lumber for a set M of money. The cardinality of set M is 100 and each element is worth $1.

(a) make 100 dots representing the elements of the set M

(b) The set C representing costs of production contains 20 fewer points than set M. Represent the set C as a subset of the set M.

(c) What is the cardinality of the set P of profits?

1990 (Dumbed-down math): A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Underline the number 20.

1997 (Whole Math): By cutting down a forest full of beautiful trees, a logger makes $20.

(a) What do you think of this way of making money?

(b) How did the forest birds and squirrels feel?

(c) Draw a picture of the forest as you'd like it to look.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The Dark One posted:

I didn't say it was obvious. He acted like it was gibberish.

Well frankly, it was gibberish to me until, y'know, someone actually explained it. Shockingly, stating exactly what the dude in the video said wasn't at all helpful to understanding the concept.

Guavanaut posted:

Yup, it rolls around in whatever base you're counting in, decrementing the next column by one (or adding to the bottom row of that column in the second 'old math' way he does it, which is probably the least straightforward).

That makes a decent amount of sense, but I could totally see a younger version of myself being endlessly confused about where the rest of the number went, for sure.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
Alright, let's try this again! Harrowing descent into madness yadda yadda yadda...

http://tinyurl.com/m9atepf

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Alright, let's try this again! Harrowing descent into madness yadda yadda yadda...

http://tinyurl.com/m9atepf

Is it because I'm on a mobile that this is a blurry mess? Like it looks like it's really zoomed in or something.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ratmtattat posted:

Is it because I'm on a mobile that this is a blurry mess? Like it looks like it's really zoomed in or something.

It looks horrible on my phone too. But on my desktop it's fine.

Edit: No wait, it's all horrible. Especially the whole "the smallest minority is the individual" stuff...because apparently the only way to truly protect the rights of minorities is to protect the individual right of straight white men to discriminate against them! :downs:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 5, 2014

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mitchicon posted:

Republicans are literally upset that Obama isn't engaging in nationalistic propaganda. You know who else liked nationalistic propaganda? :godwin:

Oh yeah. A black man showing off his muscles, engaging in shows of physical strength and fighting abilites, and handling dangerous weapons. That's gong to go over peachy with paranoid racists.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Hey the same people who believe dumb poo poo about Obama and poor people also believe hover boards are real, apparently. Wow!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

edit: For content, the bottom comment/addition on that link. It's a vintage one, I can remember it floating around email Fw:Fws in the late 90s, and it's insufferably smug about 'school in my day' with a dose of 'hippie librul teachers'.
Why is Traditional Math not the oldest example and New Math not the newest example? :bahgawd:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Guavanaut posted:

From this lovely e-mail forward, I conclude that New Math loving ruled.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mornacale posted:

From this lovely e-mail forward, I conclude that New Math loving ruled.

I like how "Traditional Math" comes across as the dumbest non-joke test.

Edit: What happened in math education in 1975?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I think I saw that forward before except the "joke" was the question from the future was in Spanish.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Odnet posted:

All of us that had reduced lunches weren't morons and would have been able to handle it (actually, I had free lunch).

Man, for how "progressive" this forum claims to be, you guys really look down on and think less of those of us that actually grew up poor. We're not the idiotic victims we're constantly made out to be here.

Heck, here in California, the last time I looked over the free school lunch application, basically every family under a $60-100K income qualified for free lunches for their kids.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

VitalSigns posted:

It looks horrible on my phone too. But on my desktop it's fine.

Edit: No wait, it's all horrible. Especially the whole "the smallest minority is the individual" stuff...because apparently the only way to truly protect the rights of minorities is to protect the individual right of straight white men to discriminate against them! :downs:

There's a reason why I initially referred to it as a "harrowing descent into madness." Before this exchange, I didn't think much of that complaint about "not tolerating intolerance"; I didn't agree with it, but I didn't give it much consideration. Now since that amazingly delusional gently caress took it to a whole new level of apologetics and strawman arguments, any whiff of that failure of humanity sometimes called an "argument" makes my blood boil.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

Edit: What happened in math education in 1975?

The original writer of the Email finished school.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Pfirti86 posted:

Probably not, people like that tend to retrench and dig deeper when presented with evidence and arguments that go against their worldview.

Just gonna highlight this for a minute 'cause it bugs the hell out of me.

Just because so many people have refused to back down when shown evidence of how wrong they are, does not mean we should give up and not tell them that they are ill-informed. I used to be a loving idiot in regards to politics. I didn't so much look things up on my own, I just sort of parroted what I was told by my parents. I at one point believed the reason the economy was in the shitter was because the automobile unions had hosed the country over because gently caress everybody else but them. Do you know what made me change my mind? What made me stop and re-adjust my world views?

A friend of mine stopped me, and told me that I was loving wrong, and then proceeded to explain to me *how* I was wrong. I didn't like it at times. At times it made me feel like he thought I was a loving moron, but he always told me that he still liked being my friend, I was just wrong about this, and no I'm not a moron, I just was ill-informed. That if I was truly an idiot he wouldn't want to be my friend.

He helped me find myself, and find my drive to research and learn about politics instead of just parroting other things that my parents or talking heads said.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

E-Tank posted:

Just gonna highlight this for a minute 'cause it bugs the hell out of me.

Just because so many people have refused to back down when shown evidence of how wrong they are, does not mean we should give up and not tell them that they are ill-informed. I used to be a loving idiot in regards to politics. I didn't so much look things up on my own, I just sort of parroted what I was told by my parents. I at one point believed the reason the economy was in the shitter was because the automobile unions had hosed the country over because gently caress everybody else but them. Do you know what made me change my mind? What made me stop and re-adjust my world views?

A friend of mine stopped me, and told me that I was loving wrong, and then proceeded to explain to me *how* I was wrong. I didn't like it at times. At times it made me feel like he thought I was a loving moron, but he always told me that he still liked being my friend, I was just wrong about this, and no I'm not a moron, I just was ill-informed. That if I was truly an idiot he wouldn't want to be my friend.

He helped me find myself, and find my drive to research and learn about politics instead of just parroting other things that my parents or talking heads said.

There was actually a study put out around anti-vacine parents talking about what being given evidence against currently held beliefs does. Turns out, if it makes you feel stupid or challenges your existing worldview it tends to drive you further down into what you think you already know, because of the hit to your self esteem. NPR did a piece on it yesterday that was pretty interesting in that what your friend did was exactly right, they stoked and reaffirmed your ego while giving you the corrected information which made you more receptive.

http://www.npr.org/2014/03/04/285580969/when-it-comes-to-vaccines-science-can-run-into-a-brick-wall

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's an example of the problems of NPR reporting that they think research hasn't been done in this area. To repeat what I posted way earlier in the thread, the concepts discussed in the posts above, as well as in the NPR story, are neatly captured in politeness theory, a communication science model that's all about persuasion when self-identity can be threatened. I haven't had the opportunity to study the theory in detail yet, but it's well-established and popular in the discipline, so it's going to be at least somewhat effective. I'm really looking forward to reading up on it so I can contribute some processes of effective forwarded message refutation to the thread.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

It's an example of the problems of NPR reporting that they think research hasn't been done in this area. To repeat what I posted way earlier in the thread, the concepts discussed in the posts above, as well as in the NPR story, are neatly captured in politeness theory, a communication science model that's all about persuasion when self-identity can be threatened. I haven't had the opportunity to study the theory in detail yet, but it's well-established and popular in the discipline, so it's going to be at least somewhat effective. I'm really looking forward to reading up on it so I can contribute some processes of effective forwarded message refutation to the thread. ARE COMIN TO STEAL MY GUNS!!!!!!!!!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I, uh, what? I'm not a part of the forum gun rights brigade. NPR science reporting is just really shoddy sometimes- they tend to cover individual hot theories or theorists, rather than meaningful work, and, as above, tend to miss interdisciplinary connections. That face threat issue and self-defense phenomenon have been documented about all kinds of health scares, especially those involving children, for years.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Discendo Vox posted:

I, uh, what? I'm not a part of the forum gun rights brigade. NPR science reporting is just really shoddy sometimes- they tend to cover individual hot theories or theorists, rather than meaningful work, and, as above, tend to miss interdisciplinary connections. That face threat issue and self-defense phenomenon have been documented about all kinds of health scares, especially those involving children, for years.

I think he is pointing out your naiveté concerning politeness theory and political debate.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

:unsmigghh:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lemme guess - the sender hasn't actively tried to start an open rebellion against the US government?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
"Bohemian Kickboxer vs. U.S. Marine" has hit my Facebook wall about a dozen times in the last week. It's breaking me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CHylE-bVwY

It's from a goddamn movie called Never Back Down. It's a work of fiction aaaaaaaugh. :suicide: I'm about to start posting video links in response from The Matrix about how this one guy fights off an IRS agent with his elite army training.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Since sheriff Joe was mentioned earlier I thought I would mention a few guys at work during lunch started praising Joe's work, another said people were quitting their jobs for "Obama benifits." I'm happy that I didn't engage, instead I rolled my eyes and went outside. Work is a place that such subjects must not be discussed. I don't understand why people haven't figured that out.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Fulchrum posted:

Lemme guess - the sender hasn't actively tried to start an open rebellion against the US government?

Not in the slightest, no. She got married pretty quickly and started popping out kids like crazy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

seiferguy posted:

Not in the slightest, no. She got married pretty quickly and started popping out kidsrebel fighters like crazy.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Not in the slightest, no. She got married pretty quickly and started popping out kidsrebel fighters like crazy.

Now that's one hell of a trench run.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Mr Darcy posted:

Now that's one hell of a trench run.

They're coming in! Three marks at 2-10!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Stay on target.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
On the other hand, it's nice when people admit the American Revolution was more about taxes than FREEDOM

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Mo_Steel posted:

It's from a goddamn movie called Never Back Down. It's a work of fiction aaaaaaaugh. :suicide: I'm about to start posting video links in response from The Matrix about how this one guy fights off an IRS agent with his elite army training.

You should do this. Just rip a fight scene from Matrix off YouTube then rehost it with a title like "IRS Agents vs. Elite US Agent"

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

1stGear posted:

On the other hand, it's nice when people admit the American Revolution was more about taxes than FREEDOM

FREEDOM FROM TAXES THEREFORE :suicide:

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Xarthor posted:

You should do this. Just rip a fight scene from Matrix off YouTube then rehost it with a title like "IRS Agents vs. Elite US Agent"

Speaking of which, has anyone ever noticed people who like the Matrix a little too much tend to be really, really libertarian?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Same with people who really REALLY like Idiocracy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Both films provide a shallow target for the viewer to identify themselves by opposition against, although Idiocracy is obviously the worse offender in this particular contest.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

The only proper response is posting this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Rebellion

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
Because clearly the only thing different from the taxes that fueled the revolutionary war and the taxes we have today is that people are pussies today. Clearly. :v:

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Guilty Spork posted:

Because clearly the only thing different from the taxes that fueled the revolutionary war and the taxes we have today is that people are pussies today. Clearly. :v:

Also all this first world poo poo we love so much runs on magic. Taxes only exist to oppress.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Not in the slightest, no. She got married pretty quickly and started popping out kids like crazy.

Something something lazy stay at home welfare queen sucking up my tax money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

It's an example of the problems of NPR reporting that they think research hasn't been done in this area. To repeat what I posted way earlier in the thread, the concepts discussed in the posts above, as well as in the NPR story, are neatly captured in politeness theory, a communication science model that's all about persuasion when self-identity can be threatened. I haven't had the opportunity to study the theory in detail yet, but it's well-established and popular in the discipline, so it's going to be at least somewhat effective. I'm really looking forward to reading up on it so I can contribute some processes of effective forwarded message refutation to the thread.

Well I'm sure you are smart and would figure it out once you had the time to properly research the matter, however the research that NPR was reporting on isn't actually all that close to Politness Theory, at least according to the provided information.

Anubis fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 6, 2014