Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
A server offline came in...

A voicemail server for a client mysteriously went offline. After 30 mintues of attempting to access, diagnose, use the DRAC, ETC. we finally get in touch with the client and the decisionmaker at the client.

The server is now sitting in the garbage. He unplugged it and threw it out. Without telling the IT vendor. Thanks for the notice, dickbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

I wish I could be less harsh

Doesn't sound like you're even trying.

So what if he's not that smart? It's still worth the time to try to get him out of there; nobody deserves a job where breaking down and crying is even a possibility. What would he lose by doing so? A lunchtime? A few minutes to an hour conversing by email?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
I definitely agree there, the littlst prince - He's a really good second-line support engineer. Fantastic at troubleshooting, a great teacher. He's being wasted there.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Collateral Damage posted:

Can you run an exe file? Look for MouseJiggler, it's a little program that simulates tiny mouse movements. I use it on all our conf room computers since Security didn't want to change the screensaver timeout even though we already have a separate GP for them. edit: ^Or that works too.

I'm glad our timekeeping system just consists of typing your times (rounded off to the nearest half-hour) into a personal excel sheet and then mailing it in at the end of the month.

Yeah, this is the easiest thing for all involved. It circumvents policy, but I don't care. We've already established that my time here is short anyway. Worst case, they severance me out. (please please please oh please)

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

the littlest prince posted:

Doesn't sound like you're even trying.

So what if he's not that smart? It's still worth the time to try to get him out of there; nobody deserves a job where breaking down and crying is even a possibility. What would he lose by doing so? A lunchtime? A few minutes to an hour conversing by email?

I'm not saying he's an idiot as in lack of intelligence, but he has a friend who is looking out for him, offering him a chance to work somewhere better and maybe improve his life. I just learned this "goon in the well" analogy, but gently caress me if it isn't accurate in this case. This isn't a guy who is addicted to food, and his friend is trying to get him to eat well and exercise. This is a guy who is addicted to misery.

I'm guessing this guy isn't married or doesn't have any kids? If I was single, I could see maybe getting suckered in to the whole "We need your help, I know it's a lot of pressure, don't you see how much we depend on you" spiel, but with a family? There is no way I would pass up a better opportunity if I had mouths to feed.

Even if it was a downgrade in pay, there is no way I would want to come home and have my kid wondering why my eyes are red and why I'm so goddamned sad all the time.

Anyway, kudos to you DrAlexanderTobacco. You are a much kinder and empathetic person than me. I hope your friend grows a backbone.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Great Beer posted:

Load up autohotkey with a script that makes a key press every (lockout time minus 10 seconds) to trick windows into thinking its in use.

Pshh.

http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/caffeine/

I use this all the time when monitoring crap while laying on the couch.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ElGroucho posted:

I'm guessing this guy isn't married or doesn't have any kids? If I was single, I could see maybe getting suckered in to the whole "We need your help, I know it's a lot of pressure, don't you see how much we depend on you" spiel, but with a family? There is no way I would pass up a better opportunity if I had mouths to feed.

This is kind of my fallback motivational when I start getting slung bullshit instead of dolla dolla bills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c3bhh8fqYs

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

A server offline came in...

A voicemail server for a client mysteriously went offline. After 30 mintues of attempting to access, diagnose, use the DRAC, ETC. we finally get in touch with the client and the decisionmaker at the client.

The server is now sitting in the garbage. He unplugged it and threw it out. Without telling the IT vendor. Thanks for the notice, dickbag.

Unironically a good decision? Why not just host voicemail on the PBX?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Roargasm posted:

Unironically a good decision? Why not just host voicemail on the PBX?

It was a probably good decision, it just had a tech spending upwards of 30 minutes as said before trying to troubleshoot the "crashed" server. At least let us loving know before deciding to literally throw the server in the garbage so you don't wind up billed for it next month and allow us to properly decommission it.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
DNS appears to be scavenging valid records, either by never getting the update from clients as they refresh their DHCP lease or by ignoring it completely. The kicker? A manual release and renew of the DHCP lease on a client restores the A record in DNS. Also only seems to be happening on certain subnets. At first we thought it was because Win7 clients were trying to pass their IPv6 address to DNS but it's happening on XP clients as well. Now we're just stumped :shrug:

At least I've got time to actually look in to it tomorrow.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

A talk with the supervisor came in...

:supaburn: THERE ARE TOO MANY TICKETS :supaburn:

Tickets jumped by like 400% this month compared to last month, and now The Bosses want to know why. In addition, ~50% of those tickets were created by me. There's 4 of us on the helpdesk now until a 5th gets hired (we had a departure last month). A lot of this is because I had been the only person working the mornings, when the lines go nuts. Then 2 guys were scheduled at night when you can go two hours at a time without the phone ringing. Supervisor basically says it's not fair to me to have to do so much of the work, so he's going to change up the schedule some (I've been on nights like...once in the last month) and have me do some more non-helpdesk stuff. He had a meeting with The Bosses when I left, but as far as I know the policy didn't change (we're still supposed to ticket everything, which only makes sense). Unless the meeting really didn't go well...

He also said I'm doing a great job and picked up the stuff faster than he even expected. I started in November, this is my first IT job. So that's cool :toot:

This is a sequel to last month's :supaburn: THERE AREN'T ENOUGH TICKETS :supaburn:

Really the solution would be for The Bosses to not put so much goddamn emphasis on the number of tickets and instead let the managers actually manage and focus on the job we're doing. But, I mean, I'm new to IT, but I wasn't born yesterday. I know that's not going to happen.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
I just spent 40 minutes starting at a command prompt (No ILO/DRAC) waiting for a server to come up. I only just realised that the VPN I was on of course wasn't connected.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Welp, 5 months into the new job and a promotion comes in. Decent raise(a bit more than 10% with a company notorious for not giving raises) and I get off of monitoring.

The downside? Going to be doing it overnight so I can babysit the team in India while I do my work. Glad I am used to overnights from prior jobs.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

It was a probably good decision, it just had a tech spending upwards of 30 minutes as said before trying to troubleshoot the "crashed" server. At least let us loving know before deciding to literally throw the server in the garbage so you don't wind up billed for it next month and allow us to properly decommission it.

I am wondering how long until they file an URGENT ticket asking where that server is because it was also performing an undocumented role which is critical to the business.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
To those who use PDQ inventory, is there some kind of provision or scenario where two users can share the inventory database? Can I get two copies and have them synchronize somehow?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Varkk posted:

I am wondering how long until they file an URGENT ticket asking where that server is because it was also performing an undocumented role which is critical to the business.

Well, we got it in writing from their business owner that "I threw it in the garbage" so it's not our problem (but will be a P1 "We can't perform business without this, you've killed my company!!!1one!" anyways after the retention time for backups expires)

VvvvV Dear lord, how do you be so non-functional and get a job in the field? Did he start out normal and get infected like a festering disease or was he always terrible?

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 6, 2014

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Fired my junior support tech the other day. He was closing tickets without responding to them then denying that it was him who did it. He did not know that Kayako has an audit trail system built right in. Also, he was lying to users and overpromising features we don't have and can't deliver.

Also, he was an insufferable loving manchild. Red fedora, My Little Pony stickers on his laptop, literalist humor, the whole deal.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Exit Strategy posted:

Fired my junior support tech the other day. He was closing tickets without responding to them then denying that it was him who did it. He did not know that Kayako has an audit trail system built right in. Also, he was lying to users and overpromising features we don't have and can't deliver.

Also, he was an insufferable loving manchild. Red fedora, My Little Pony stickers on his laptop, literalist humor, the whole deal.

There's nothing wrong with stickers on your laptop <:mad:>

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AlternateAccount posted:

This is kind of my fallback motivational when I start getting slung bullshit instead of dolla dolla bills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c3bhh8fqYs

I really wish I could find video of the scene from "Thief" where James Caan says "What gratitude? You are making big profits from my work, my risk, my sweat. But that is okay, because I elected to make that deal. But now, the deal is over. I want my end, and I am out."

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Exit Strategy posted:

Like, the Red Hat logo?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

Like, the Red Hat logo?

I was thinking Carmen Sandiego.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

anthonypants posted:

Like, the Red Hat logo?

No, an actual bright-red fedora. With buttons from some obscure Square Enix RPG and one or another logo button from MLP on the band. And he had some serious MRA tendencies. Dude was basically comedy gold, and I'm almost sad to see him go.

"I think it's just easier when everyone says exactly what they mean, that way I don't have to do any work to talk to them" and "Everything would be better if everyone thought exactly like me."

Both of those statements uttered in complete earnest. During lunch. While the company's CEO was hanging around. And Junior Tech didn't even notice the staring.

namol
Mar 21, 2007

hihifellow posted:

DNS appears to be scavenging valid records, either by never getting the update from clients as they refresh their DHCP lease or by ignoring it completely. The kicker? A manual release and renew of the DHCP lease on a client restores the A record in DNS. Also only seems to be happening on certain subnets. At first we thought it was because Win7 clients were trying to pass their IPv6 address to DNS but it's happening on XP clients as well. Now we're just stumped :shrug:

At least I've got time to actually look in to it tomorrow.

Check the zone scavenge time etc. a key thing could be if your using Microsoft DNS in AD integrated zones with the secure updates is that for some reason the client can't register updates due to a mismatch of ownership on the A record. 2008r2 dhcp best practice is to use a service account to allow dhcp to register, update and remove A, Ptr records for the dhcp leasees etc.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

namol posted:

Check the zone scavenge time etc. a key thing could be if your using Microsoft DNS in AD integrated zones with the secure updates is that for some reason the client can't register updates due to a mismatch of ownership on the A record. 2008r2 dhcp best practice is to use a service account to allow dhcp to register, update and remove A, Ptr records for the dhcp leasees etc.

Reading up on this, it sounds like it might be a record ownership issue. Gives me something to look at tomorrow. Thanks!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Exit Strategy posted:

No, an actual bright-red fedora.
FYI - Red hat employees are issued bright red fedoras with a black band at orientation. Only the spergiest people wear them (and generally only at conferences), but they look like the red hat logo, and we all technically have them.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I just did a GIS for that, it's like a company of Carmen Sandiegos.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Swink posted:

To those who use PDQ inventory, is there some kind of provision or scenario where two users can share the inventory database? Can I get two copies and have them synchronize somehow?

You should email Admin Arsenal and ask them, they're really good at responding to questions like this even if you are running the free version.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

evol262 posted:

FYI - Red hat employees are issued bright red fedoras with a black band at orientation. Only the spergiest people wear them (and generally only at conferences), but they look like the red hat logo, and we all technically have them.

This was Junior Tech's first job, and will probably be his last in the support industry. I will not be writing him a letter of recommendation regardless.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Sirotan posted:

You should email Admin Arsenal and ask them, they're really good at responding to questions like this even if you are running the free version.

Dur! Went to their forums and found it straight away. Turns out you cant do it (yet): http://support.adminarsenal.com/entries/23383990-best-practices-for-installation-of-PDQ-Inventory-between-2-person-IT-shop

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Exit Strategy posted:

This was Junior Tech's first job, and will probably be his last in the support industry. I will not be writing him a letter of recommendation regardless.

Reminds me of the guy we fired back when I worked in a Data Center for Hellhole U. Dude showed up for his first shift on nights (we split 7a-7p/7p-7a, no mid shift), after working a total of about a week doing his HR and new guy stuff, carrying a bag full of DVDs and a portable DVD player. The rest went about as you'd expect. I mean, hell, we had guys doing 40-man raids in WoW on the clock, but not their first week, and sure as gently caress not anywhere a manager would see them. Guy was oblivious as hell.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I just started as a field tech a week ago. Already running into problems with them not shipping me all the poo poo I need.

I got a Latitude ST2 tablet on my third day that needed a motherboard replacement. Previous tech was out the day before to replace the entire screen due to an issue with the touch not being registered along the top inch of the screen. When I saw it, not only did the issue persist, but it also thought I was touching the screen 1 cm to the right and up from where I actually was making contact.

I got the motherboard replaced and all, but when I got it all back together I didn't get any video. I didn't see the Dell splash screen or anything. Thinking I made a rookie mistake, I took the drat thing apart 5 more times trying to get it to show me video. I tried calling the backup tech service to ask them about it, but the queue was down. I end up putting the old motherboard back into the thing, turned it on, and got it booted into windows. Thus I concluded that they sent me a bad replacement motherboard.

Also since I took it apart too many times, I got a little rough on the WLAN cable connector and broke it... which is attached to the LCD... which was just replaced 2 days ago. :suicide:

I called dispatch later that day to get the parts reordered for the tablet. I had to argue with them about the no video issue:

"The hard drive is integrated into the motherboard, so you have to reinstall windows."
"Yes, I realize that, but you don't understand; I can't even see the Dell logo let alone the boot menu or diagnostics."

Finally I won them over and got a new motherboard sent out.

The box for the bad motherboard came with a Windows 8 install USB stick. The hard drive is integrated into the motherboard, so the replacement had to be reinstalled. Since I'm supposed to send -ALL- parts back, I sent them the USB stick as well.

Yesterday I got the re-dispatch for that tablet with a new LCD and motherboard. I get on site, open the box... and they didn't give me the drat Windows 8 USB stick. I got all the parts replaced fine an I got it to boot to the BIOS so I could set date/time and the service tag, so now they're just going to sent the IT lady the USB stick so she can flash it herself.

At this point, we've basically replaced the entire tablet twice. I don't know why they didn't just send the lady a whole new tablet at this point. The only thing we haven't replaced so far is the speakers, webcam, and battery.

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 6, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
This here is my grandfather's tablet, which has only three times has its screen replaced, and only twice its motherboard.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Lacrosse posted:

The box for the bad motherboard came with a Windows 8 install USB stick. The hard drive is integrated into the motherboard, so the replacement had to be reinstalled. Since I'm supposed to send -ALL- parts back, I sent them the USB stick as well.

And that's why you don't send the USB key back.

Mainly because that's the only way you can re-install Windows w/ a legit licence on that motherboard.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
A passive-aggressive e-mail came in... to the entire department... CC'ing management:

quote:

Is there a problem with $software that you guys are aware of ?

That's right, don't explain what your problem is. Just assume that we're mind-readers and hope for the best, and CC management so that we look like your personal lapdog.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"We haven't had any tickets submitted through the official channels about any issues, and all of our monitoring systems are green."

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Well, I just had a client give out a surprised "oh" over the phone, after a small bang. I asked her what went wrong and she said she plugged in the backup drive and now her server is spewing out lots of smoke.

Well, I guess that's an easy ticket to close. "Server hosed, do the needful".

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I was just troubleshooting someone's printer problems at a remote site and talked them through printing a test page. It prints out and the user says
"There, you see?"
"Pardon?"
"Those white lines where it's not printing."
"uh..."
"Oh, can't you see the test page?"

You need to be on the VPN before I can remotely access pieces of paper, silly. :)

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
graveyard shift helpdesk guy gets over 100 tickets last night for the same issue and doesn't think to notify anyone. We only discovered it when reviewing metrics for our morning operations meeting.

maybe after 150 tickets he would have thought to himself "a pattern is emerging!"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ZetsurinPower posted:

graveyard shift helpdesk guy gets over 100 tickets last night for the same issue and doesn't think to notify anyone. We only discovered it when reviewing metrics for our morning operations meeting.

maybe after 150 tickets he would have thought to himself "a pattern is emerging!"

Out of curiosity, what tickets was he getting? I can't imagine getting 100 tickets over the course of a graveyard shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
short story, an expired certificate, although it manifested itself in a way that made tracking it down a bit more involved.

edit: additional info, the guy has been on helpdesk 11 years, and used to be the manager. all-star talent over here.

ZetsurinPower fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 6, 2014

• Locked thread