Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Constable Lemon posted:

they just released Togepi ;_;

That's the first time I laughed at the stream in a while now.

Magres posted:

E2:

I think part of the reason for that is that the chat has been getting put into slow mode today. Only one input every 20 seconds slows down the input spam a lot. Every time it has gotten lifted, my chat window has gone apeshit even with a filter on.

Ah, that explains it. Though I still wonder if participation (in terms of % playing out of everyone viewing) has dropped at least a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I definitely think most people aren't actively playing, someone had a screengrab of when the stream glitched and displayed all the tallied votes from a full hour between rounds of Democracy and it only totalled to about 20k

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
So how much of the current stream is bots? TPP at it's peak didn't move nearly as fast.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Magres posted:

RIP Togepi, you were the best mon on the team by far.

And it never would have happened if feralgatr had been deposited in democracy. I can't stop laughing.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Poonerman posted:

So how much of the current stream is bots? TPP at it's peak didn't move nearly as fast.

There don't seem to be any obvious bots (that just spam the same command forever), at least.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
gently caress it, the stream has become cancerous. Nothing can save it now. BURN IT ALL DOWN.

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

Is it just me or did the stream become really, really boring in the last few days? I think I'm gonna tune out until something actually funny/awesome happens.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009
At this rate they'll probably be stuck in a endless tug-of-war until either Feraligatr is released or everything else is.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
We really are witnessing the growth of a memetic cancer here. It's pretty loving cool.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

We loving killed Togepi. Goddammit

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Someone needs to update this for the horrific reign of King Leer I:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Spretznaz posted:

Is it just me or did the stream become really, really boring in the last few days? I think I'm gonna tune out until something actually funny/awesome happens.
Be real here, how long did you really expect this to stay fresh and exciting? It should probably be done once a year and not go from game to game.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I like the idea of an annual TPP run a lot. Starts March 1st every year in honor of the original win?

March pokemon Madness

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Captain Invictus posted:

It's still far, far more popular than initially expected.

Like, there's still over twenty thousand people in TPP right now. I know we might look at the numbers when it was all over major media outlets compared to now and think that it's dead, but 20,000 people in a single Twitch stream is still insanely high. VGCW, which is decently popular, only ever hit 4k max on its most-watched night.

Another comparison here: Even at its low points at 20k, TPP is still beating out all of the Hearthstone streams combined.

Let that sink in for a second.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Round two with Jasmine.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Magres posted:

Round two with Jasmine.

Wait, how did we lose to Jasmine the first time?

e: I see it's already over.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

And the gator OHKOs everything. So much for entertainment.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Spretznaz posted:

The gator-haters kind of have a point. The first game was at its height when they were completely hosed and had no chance of progress unless they managed to pull off something crazy and unlikely, and proceeded to fail hilariously at it for several attempts, then finally, gloriously succeed. Now they have a built-in solution to every problem (hit it with an alligator) and it's kind of boring to watch.

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.
Yeah. This whole run has been pretty boring. It's just watching pokemon be played at a glacial pace instead of last run which was just chaos and strangeness.

I think I'm done with it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I haven't been following too closely; has anything interesting happened in the past few days apart from releasing Togepi a little while ago?

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Evil Mastermind posted:

I haven't been following too closely; has anything interesting happened in the past few days apart from releasing Togepi a little while ago?
nope :)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
12 hours at Morty was pretty fun, actually. Watching them try and fail with democracy was hysterical. After that long, I honestly didn't even mind that they just surfed him to death, it was good to be out of that gym.

Slate Action posted:

Wait, how did we lose to Jasmine the first time?

e: I see it's already over.

They switched to Scratch and Rage instead of OHKO surfing everything, the Gator got paralyzed, and then his moves got blocked by paralysis three times in a row.

It was basically ATV vs Dragonite except in reverse.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Magres posted:

12 hours at Morty was pretty fun, actually. Watching them try and fail with democracy was hysterical. After that long, I honestly didn't even mind that they just surfed him to death, it was good to be out of that gym.

Now imagine how amazing that would have been with Chikorita, whose only offensive options would have been resisted or immune. Not picking it is the real tragedy.

e: Seriously, almost literally impossible. The highest effective power move Chikorita can even GET for Morty is 40 effective base power, and it's a TM.

Niton fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 6, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I wanted Chikorita or Cyndaquil, personally :(

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Reminder that past gym 6 is when the story starts picking up.

I mean you guys are complaining when we're only on day 3 which was when we got stuck for 12 hours trying to get cut.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Coolguye posted:

Another comparison here: Even at its low points at 20k, TPP is still beating out all of the Hearthstone streams combined.

Let that sink in for a second.

NOW it is, mostly because Hearthstone at night has been a bunch of stragglers since Kripp was away for a month at real life.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Kild posted:

Reminder that past gym 6 is when the story starts picking up.

Also a big spike in the levels of Trainers/Gym leaders/Wild pokemon, if I remember this right. Level curve of the middle third of the game was super flat.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Another thing ruined by people trying to milk it out. The first run was beautifully original and entertaining if even only to read about it. This just sounds boring.

That said, is there any myth building going on in this run?

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Feraligatr rules no matter what :colbert:

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Blasmeister posted:

Also a big spike in the levels of Trainers/Gym leaders/Wild pokemon, if I remember this right. Level curve of the middle third of the game was super flat.

It's a bit of a spike, but as it stands, Feraligatr is already higher level than over half of the Elite 4. Johto had problems. :v:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

NeilPerry posted:

That said, is there any myth building going on in this run?

Nah, chat has really become too toxic for any real myth building to rise. It's pretty sad, actually. I enjoyed seeing the myths in Red. A few people tried to get them started, but it's pretty obvious all but the most die-hard fans and trolls have gotten bored.

The end of this run should be the end of this altogether, in my opinion- if not sooner.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
I think this would have went a lot nicer if the streamer had waited a few months -- the original run was fun, buy over two weeks long as it was. Give people some time to cool down, edit Red in the game as a fun surprise at the end, as it its mostly the people wanted more and its just a drag :(

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
J4G Crybaby :frogout:

Sky Shadowing posted:

Nah, chat has really become too toxic for any real myth building to rise. It's pretty sad, actually. I enjoyed seeing the myths in Red. A few people tried to get them started, but it's pretty obvious all but the most die-hard fans and trolls have gotten bored.

The end of this run should be the end of this altogether, in my opinion- if not sooner.

Yeah i havent really watched this one... plus the reddit sub seems to of died down as well.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The yearly runs do sound like a good idea, or maybe quarterly. Particularly if the games involved were romhacked to hell and back to make different pokemon show up at different points or something. Maybe making your first pokemon choice among a Ratatta, a Pidgey, and a Caterpie. Stuff like that. :v:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Clearly they should have stuck with Telefang.

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
J4G Crybaby :frogout:

Coolguye posted:

The yearly runs do sound like a good idea, or maybe quarterly. Particularly if the games involved were romhacked to hell and back to make different pokemon show up at different points or something. Maybe making your first pokemon choice among a Ratatta, a Pidgey, and a Caterpie. Stuff like that. :v:

You mean digrat, hero jesus and... caterpie right?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Or anything, really. Make one of the choices a fuckin' Abra just to troll people, since its only move is Teleport. :v:

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I think one problem is that the streamer partnered with Twitch. That means he probably has pressure from Twitch to keep the stream going since they want their partners to stream regularly. I don't know how strict Twitch is but there's a chance the streamer had to keep it going.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Honestly, the circumstances that set TPP up seem like they're once-in-a-lifetime and I doubt we'll ever have as good of a game again. If we didn't release AbbyK and she learned some good moves like Slash and Flamethrower, we'd have almost no reason to use anything else. If Bird Jesus didn't have such an awful moveset, he could have easily soloed the game. If terrible AI didn't give Fonz, Lord Helix, and ATV time to shine, they would've just been more members of the backup crew with Air. Hell, if Zapdos didn't come at level 50, who knows what other underlevelled Pokemon would have been slotted in. Keeper, maybe?

The fact that we clawed our way through the worst possible circumstances was very impressive, but with how easy it is to pick a starter and mash A until victory it just doesn't strike me as happening again. And what is TPP without the glorious struggle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Kabanaw posted:

I think one problem is that the streamer partnered with Twitch. That means he probably has pressure from Twitch to keep the stream going since they want their partners to stream regularly. I don't know how strict Twitch is but there's a chance the streamer had to keep it going.

This really isn't a thing.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 6, 2014

• Locked thread