Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Yes. Soak it for an hour or two and then scrub the panel lines off under running water.

This also works for primer and paint (doesn't have to be alcohol based, though that wipes off easier) that hasn't cured.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

BlitzBlast posted:

Bandai completely hosed up the engineering and made the polycap on the legs too large. In other words, the legs don't "click" into place and just kind of hang there. And since the legs are so huge, the end result is that the Sazabi's legs will constantly fall out.

The "solution", so to speak, is to increase the surface area of the plug. You can do that with some Future, or some topcoat, or hell some super glue.

EDIT: Derp, it did use polycaps.

Doesn't the Miss Sazabi use Nobel Gundam legs or something? Wouldn't that make a difference?

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

So I'm getting back into Gunpla after like a ten year hiatus, and I decided to go with an RG. It's pretty complex but besides the small scale it's not too much for me to handle. My question is about topcoating. I used to just snap together and panel line but I want this to look a little better. Do I need to disassemble the inner frame and top coat each individual piece? In other words, are the joints going to clog up if I try to top coat an entire assembled leg?

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

JoeGlassJAw posted:

So I'm getting back into Gunpla after like a ten year hiatus, and I decided to go with an RG. It's pretty complex but besides the small scale it's not too much for me to handle. My question is about topcoating. I used to just snap together and panel line but I want this to look a little better. Do I need to disassemble the inner frame and top coat each individual piece? In other words, are the joints going to clog up if I try to top coat an entire assembled leg?

I just asked this last week. I guess for perfect coverage, yes you need to do each individual piece. But it would be saner to break it down into leg/arm/torso and spray those.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I feel sexy after destroying a test. Which would be better, HGUC Victory or F91, since I'm assuming V2 Assault Buster is an upcoming thing?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
F91, since hopefully V-Dash will also be an upcoming thing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

If I really mess up panel lining somehow, and I can't get it off with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip, could I stand to just drop the part into a dish of rubbing alcohol?

Lines wipe away really easy when you first do them so don't sweat it too bad.

I'm not crazy mister paint and perfection guy, but I line then kinda finger away the excess and it looks pretty cool most of the time IMO. The faint residue even gives the panels a bit of texture they wouldn't normally have unpainted.

On the subject of lines, whats the general wisdom about darker colors? I mean, for my zauks and dom it didn't make sense to do much if any work on the darker portions. Do people ever use light markers for it or is it basically "don't worry about it"

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Silver on dark looks really nice. It's especially nifty on MG inner frames.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I line everything, since there are very few plastic colors so dark the lining can't be seen. It does make a difference.

TARDISman posted:

Which would be better, HGUC Victory or F91, since I'm assuming V2 Assault Buster is an upcoming thing?

This is just a personal opinion, but I think the F91 may be the worst HGUC kit ever made. To call it toylike would be an insult to the better toys out there – particularly the Robot Damashii F91, which is a far nicer rendition of the design in every possible way. I am willing to call the HGUC a tossed-off piece of uninspired crap, given the way it marries the godawful MG proportions to a lazy sculpt and more crummy-looking molding shortcuts than I've seen since the Clinton administration, all of which make for an ugly, cheap-looking model and a deeply unsatisfying build. Part of the problem is that it's so small it's barely viable as an assembly kit, but it also seems to me that Bandai simply wasn't trying with this one.

I would also note that the F91 is one of my favorite Gundams, and I'm pretty cheesed off to to see it botched hard twice in a row. If you like the looks then go for it I guess, I hated the thing so much I couldn't even finish it.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 6, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think Build Fighters is doing something terrible to me. I've gotten my local hobby shop to try and order me in an HG Extreme Gundam, just because it has a :krad: Electric Guitar for a buster rifle, and the shield is a guitar case. I'm gonna swap the backpack for a Build Booster just for the wings to make it rock out even harder.

I'm weak :negative:.

edit:

Also, the Exia Dark Matter gets even worse.

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/hgbf-1144-gundam-exia-dark-matter.html

Seems that it includes the GN rifle, but the switchblade's been removed. That just ain't right :argh:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 6, 2014

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Okay so is build fighters good or something or are the kit bashes from it just really fun? Cuz you boys be talkin it up.

Ps slowly working through my Marasai

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DamnGlitch posted:

Okay so is build fighters good or something or are the kit bashes from it just really fun? Cuz you boys be talkin it up.

Both. Gundam.info has every episode so far, with english subs, on their youtube channel legally. Go take a look for yourself. Just don't have a credit card within arm's reach, or a browser open on your preferred gunpla-selling website. You might do something you'd regret after watching a few episodes :unsmigghh:.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yes, BF is good. We even changed its thread title to reflect that!

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seems that it includes the GN rifle, but the switchblade's been removed. That just ain't right :argh:.
Looks to me like for the two big swords that one is using the regular switchblade blade and the other is using R2's glowy blade.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

BF is the best gundam series since turnA seems to be the general opinion.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
edit: this space for rent.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 6, 2014

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

If I'm gonna be attempting an acrylic panel wash for safety reasons, what kind of clear coat is recommended? The favorite varieties mostly appear to be acrylic.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I had a dream about gunpla last night..

Deathscythe - Hell's Angel.

basically its Deathy, but with Zero's Angel wings, and its shield/beam claw thing was more like a round shield like the talgeese, but it still had the beam claw bit on it. and the whole thing was in the english crusader red/white combo.

pardon my text formatting. its early.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

slightpirate posted:

I had a dream about gunpla last night..

Deathscythe - Hell's Angel.

basically its Deathy, but with Zero's Angel wings, and its shield/beam claw thing was more like a round shield like the talgeese, but it still had the beam claw bit on it. and the whole thing was in the english crusader red/white combo.

pardon my text formatting. its early.

You could probably scratch build a chopper from the meteor hopper as well.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

centaurette hentai posted:

If I'm gonna be attempting an acrylic panel wash for safety reasons, what kind of clear coat is recommended? The favorite varieties mostly appear to be acrylic.

Assuming you apply the wash to bare plastic and topcoat after, you should be good with whatever.

The general rule for washing painted surfaces is acrylics over lacquers/enamels and vice versa.

edit: unrelated, but I just ran across this blog which features a ton of cool Gunpla buildups I haven't seen elsewhere, y'all should check it out.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 6, 2014

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Luminaflare posted:

You could probably scratch build a chopper from the meteor hopper as well.
Example:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

There are not enough :flashfap:s in the world.

I wish I knew what type of paint he used for the armor and psychoframe. I'd replicate this in an instant if I could. (Maybe even add extra shields since the mounting points on the forearms aren't used.)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

How are those arms staying on. :stare:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Zedd posted:

How are those arms staying on. :stare:

That setup is actually easier on the arms than the normal FA Unicorn. The Phenex has a special backpack with mounts for the shields and armed armor de set, so they can be displayed like wings, and that's what that model is using. Normally, if you were to add the armed armor de expansions onto a normal FA Unicorn, it'd look like this:

Theoretically, that means you can have five shields on that kit, two on the arms, two on the wings, and one on the back. I might do that someday and proceed to break my shelving unit.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So basically you want to make Thunderbolt Unicorn? :v:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

S-Alpha posted:

That setup is actually easier on the arms than the normal FA Unicorn. The Phenex has a special backpack with mounts for the shields and armed armor de set, so they can be displayed like wings, and that's what that model is using.
Thats actually drat cool, I don't own a MG Fa-Unicorn but I've seen enough of it that the arm situation really puzzled me. :v:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

So basically you want to make Thunderbolt Unicorn? :v:

Yes. That is exactly what I want. I want the biggest, most ridiculous thing I can possibly hope to fit on my shelves. (Still waiting on that MG Deep Striker knockoff and still saving money for an Ex-S.)

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2014/02/p-bandai-online-hobby-shop-exclusive-mg_21.html

Stop releasing online exclusives I want but can't possibly get, Bandai.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
God dammit bandai don't release the custom suit of my favorite zabi then make it exclusive :doom:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

That filigree is going to be fun.

:suicide:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Looks like metal stickers to me.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Why isn't this a real kit. :negative:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

That reminds me, what do you all think the odds are of an RG Build Strike happening sometime soon? They have most of the frame as is.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if the next new PG was the Build Strike. RG is also a possibility, but probably not any time soon since it would cut into the HG/MG sales.

Also it took me loving forever but

finally done decaling the 3.0's torso. Just need to do a panel wash on those two lines on the front (didn't do it until now because reasons) and I can top coat this thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

That reminds me, what do you all think the odds are of an RG Build Strike happening sometime soon? They have most of the frame as is.

All they have to do is swap the black parts and hands for transparent blue :haw:.

Seriously though; it'll probably happen because they just have to swap the shoulders and thigh holsters, and the Boosters aren't all that commplex. Hell, it'd probably be a double-release like the GP01, just so they can do both the Build and Star Build Strikes.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

Why isn't this a real kit. :negative:

Honestly if that stuff isn't released with a magazine like they did with the folding Astray sword gun, they're really missing a trick.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boom boom boom posted:

Honestly if that stuff isn't released with a magazine like they did with the folding Astray sword gun, they're really missing a trick.

They really should, but I think it's just a shade too complex for a freebie (unless they do it all-white and declare "gently caress it, paint it yourself") and not enough stuff for a full-fledged Booster. There's a whole lot of different coloured parts they'd have to do seperate runners for, and welding them all onto one probably costs more than it's worth.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

S-Alpha posted:

Normally, if you were to add the armed armor de expansions onto a normal FA Unicorn, it'd look like this:

As somebody who has posted pictures here of my normal FA Unicorn with three Armed Armor DE strapped to the shields, mine does not look like that. Maybe you need to stop being such a scrub at posing Gunpla :smug:

...and dust your kits for Christ's sake.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

I might be misremembering, but when I was looking through the GBF I could've sworn I saw a weapon pack based on the weapons from that episode. I was sick, though, so I might've just saw a normal weapon pack, and confused it with those particular weapons.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I think it just had the bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Nah, there's a Hyper Battle Weapons set or something like that. It includes everything that was in that episode... except the baseball equipment. Well I mean it has the bat (which is what inspired the whole shebang), but that's just not enough.

• Locked thread