Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

dorkanoid posted:

I might be too focused on pixel-peeping :D

Regardless, how the ISO works is one of the best things about the 6D (I can't say if the 5D3 - or even 5D2 are as good/better, I've never tried them)

In some cases I think the 6Ds ISO grain adds to the picture rather than destroys it

The 6D is considered to be canons best in that regard I'm pretty sure, along with the 1dx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Took an ISO 12800 image, 100% crop, no modifications done to it

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

dorkanoid posted:

Took an ISO 12800 image, 100% crop, no modifications done to it

I like it - it's very very tight. This is 100% @ 6400 on my 70D, seems about the same in amount, so the FF rates a stop better there as expected, but I think the noise is tighter on the FF sensor also which makes it look better.

The best thing about the 70D as far as Canon crop goes is that they finally dealt with the high-ISO and raised shadow banding. The noise is pretty tight now and doesn't have the awful banding pattern the 18mpix sensor (like my M) did, which even though ACR can clean it pretty well, takes more work and leaves less detail after.

Edit: Woops, this is slightly PP'd - I reset everything else in ACR to default, but I forgot to remove the shinejob I did on her eyeball there with the adjustment brush. So that iris is PP'd

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Haha, here's a good way to compare crop vs. FF. A year ago, I took a photo of a friend's concert with a 60D + 85/1.8. She played in the same venue last night, and I happened to be sitting in the same place with a 5D3 + 135/2 which gave me the same field of view. While the crop camera makes a decent photo, the improvement of the 5D is dramatic.

60D + 85/1.8, ISO 6400

5D3 + 135/2, ISO 8000

I always liked the 85/1.8, but it's definitely lacking in sharpness wide open, and it has a fair amount of chromatic aberration.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Bubbacub posted:

Haha, here's a good way to compare crop vs. FF. A year ago, I took a photo of a friend's concert with a 60D + 85/1.8. She played in the same venue last night, and I happened to be sitting in the same place with a 5D3 + 135/2 which gave me the same field of view. While the crop camera makes a decent photo, the improvement of the 5D is dramatic.

60D + 85/1.8, ISO 6400

5D3 + 135/2, ISO 8000

I always liked the 85/1.8, but it's definitely lacking in sharpness wide open, and it has a fair amount of chromatic aberration.

Of course - it's at least a stop less luminance noise (if not more), and much less patterned (since the 60D had the same patterned noise as all the 18mpix canon aps-c's) , and on top of that it's like 25% more pixels, so even after cleaning you can be left with more detail than the 60D without any cleaning. I am in no way trying to say crop sensors are superior or even close to equal to FF in low light ability - I only brought up that sometimes they are perfectly adequate for the task if you're not super picky and don't need huge results. I'm not and I don't, so I like shooting crop :)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Try to avoid using the third stop ISO increments. Canon's native ISO amplification is in full stop increments. Using third stop ISO increments causes the camera to take an image at a native value and then shifts the exposure +/-0.33 EV. It may backfire, if you're frequently recovering highlights, because they may get clipped sooner.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

timrenzi574 posted:

Of course - it's at least a stop less luminance noise (if not more), and much less patterned (since the 60D had the same patterned noise as all the 18mpix canon aps-c's) , and on top of that it's like 25% more pixels, so even after cleaning you can be left with more detail than the 60D without any cleaning. I am in no way trying to say crop sensors are superior or even close to equal to FF in low light ability - I only brought up that sometimes they are perfectly adequate for the task if you're not super picky and don't need huge results. I'm not and I don't, so I like shooting crop :)

Yeah, I agree. I still carry my 60D around plenty of times since it's so much more portable. I posted the comparison because it was a really bizarre coincidence that I had an unintended controlled experiment with a year time gap. I'm not super spergy about sharpness and image quality... here's another comparison from the same set. Under even lighting conditions, it's hard to tell the difference between the two cameras:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So, talked to the better half. And she said OK to my adventures of getting further into photography.

Truth of the matter is if I REALLY want to, I can go make the money in Albania over the summer (shoot a wedding per week at 400 dollars, and get hired because Im :siren:American!:siren:)

But Ive decided to wait until the 7D mkii gets announced, which is supposedly going to be this month. Either that or get the 70D.

Chose the 70D because of the video capabilities and the new AF system.

Lens is gonna be Sigma 120-300 based on recommendations here. Lots of cash for a new lens, but I know that lenses hold their worth a hell of a lot more than bodies do.

What would be a fair asking price for mu t4i with kit lens and battery pack?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

For a serious amateur looking to get into more professional and paid work, would you guys recommend a used 5DII or a new 6D? The difference is only a couple hundred bucks, and the 6D looks better on paper (and would be new). I guess I've kind of answered my own question and I'm learning towards the 6D but I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The 5D2's shutter does 1/8000th, the 6D's "only" 1/4000th. And flash sync is better I think. That's about it one would care about in differences.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
5DII takes CF cards, has the joystick, made of metal...

I would probably pick the 6D for the slightly better AF and wacky remote shooting options.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Anyone who uses/has used a 5d classic have any autofocus tips? I know there were all sorta of quirks with the Fuji X100 before its update when the autofocus was awful like focus on verticals etc. and am wondering if there is anything other than to just get used to it. Center af point/recompose seems to be the most reliable option - I am still trying to figure out the best way and the best scenarios to let the camera choose from all autofocus points to simplify and quicken some shots where focus/recompose might take a fraction too long to do.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Soulex posted:

So, talked to the better half. And she said OK to my adventures of getting further into photography.

Truth of the matter is if I REALLY want to, I can go make the money in Albania over the summer (shoot a wedding per week at 400 dollars, and get hired because Im :siren:American!:siren:)

But Ive decided to wait until the 7D mkii gets announced, which is supposedly going to be this month. Either that or get the 70D.

Chose the 70D because of the video capabilities and the new AF system.

Lens is gonna be Sigma 120-300 based on recommendations here. Lots of cash for a new lens, but I know that lenses hold their worth a hell of a lot more than bodies do.

What would be a fair asking price for mu t4i with kit lens and battery pack?
Entirely depends on your budget, but if you're getting into it purely from a prosumer portrait gig kind of deal, the 70D is perfectly capable at around $900 nowadays, and the 7DMK2 will likely be in the $2500 range, with an added feature set that you might not even notice.

EDIT: Also it could literally be 4 months before it's even announced. No one really knows.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Mightaswell posted:

5DII takes CF cards, has the joystick, made of metal...
6D is also mostly magnesium, only the top is fiberglass for the Wifi and GPS stuff.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Has anyone actually dropped a "plastic" dslr body and broken it? People talk like they are made of crackers or something. Maybe someone has, but I've never known of it.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I haven't really broken an slr of any sort, but metal wears nicely and dents, rather than cracks.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I have not broken a plastic dslr when dropping it. It was an older Canon rebel xt.

Of course expect scrapes and cosmetic damage, but more likely than not it will still function flawlessly. Best if you don't drop it, though.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Entirely depends on your budget, but if you're getting into it purely from a prosumer portrait gig kind of deal, the 70D is perfectly capable at around $900 nowadays, and the 7DMK2 will likely be in the $2500 range, with an added feature set that you might not even notice.

EDIT: Also it could literally be 4 months before it's even announced. No one really knows.

Aspiring Amateur I guess is the term I'd use. To the point where it's a good ground to have fun but also be able to make money if needed.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Soulex posted:

Aspiring Amateur I guess is the term I'd use. To the point where it's a good ground to have fun but also be able to make money if needed.

If you want a new camera now, just get the 70D. There's no confirmation that the 7D2 will be arriving anytime soon, just rumors (and honestly, if you were Canon, and it was piss off mind blowing featurewise, wouldn't you have it debut at the olympics?) - People have been holding off on a 100-400 purchase for years because the replacement is "just around the corner." If you wait forever for the perfect body, you'll never end up with anything.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Thanks for the ISO advice. I'm going to disable 1/3 stops and since I'm just on vacation I'll leave it on auto ISO. So far so good.

This wifi feature is a game changer for me, at least on trips like this. Now I can send slr photos to my phone/iPad, edit them, then post them to Facebook or where ever quickly. No more having to wait a week or lug around a laptop (which I'd leave at the hotel anyway) to play with my photos. I still plan on doing proper raw edits when I get home, though it's nice doing quick road edits.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Claw Massage posted:

Has anyone actually dropped a "plastic" dslr body and broken it? People talk like they are made of crackers or something. Maybe someone has, but I've never known of it.
When I dropped my d90+70-200 the body was completely fine but the mount screws got pulled out of their holes. Those tiny screws/threads will let go long before polycarbonate does.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Haggins posted:

Thanks for the ISO advice. I'm going to disable 1/3 stops and since I'm just on vacation I'll leave it on auto ISO. So far so good.
It was just a suggestion. If you don't plan on editing the dynamic range (much) or are shooting JPEG anyway, you might just leave it on, to get slightly faster shutter times depending on the situation.

For RAW editing, it can either clip the highlights sooner or raise the noise floor of the dark regions, depending whether the camera applies a positive or negative 0.33 EV bias. All depends whether you care about this.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Well 1/3 stops aren't really a big deal and if they have any negative effect, I may as well turn it off.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Went on a shoot yesterday, and boy howdy was I out of it. I think I am able to salvage 2-3 photos from the whole parade.

Anyone have any tips when you just can't get everything to click composure wise?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Soulex posted:

Went on a shoot yesterday, and boy howdy was I out of it. I think I am able to salvage 2-3 photos from the whole parade.

Anyone have any tips when you just can't get everything to click composure wise?

Composition seems to be such an intuitive thing, hard to really teach, but try cropping the shots that weren't quite there?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

IanTheM posted:

Composition seems to be such an intuitive thing, hard to really teach, but try cropping the shots that weren't quite there?

This. Go through every picture and crop it somehow. You won't necessarily get better photos out of it but you'll get practice framing things and the next shoot will feel better.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Canon just announced a pretty hefty cash back on the 7D, it can be had for something like USD 900 now, here (in a place with 25% VAT.)

7DII around the corner?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
The announcement is supposed to be in either April, May, or June.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

rcman50166 posted:

it could also be in July, August, or September

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

rcman50166 posted:

It's veering towards "duke nukem forever" levels.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

It's veering towards "duke nukem forever" levels.

Super late with the added bonus of a feature set their competitors had years ago?

I kid because I love you Canon!

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Well it's a CR1 rumor but it says Q2 of this year, which is those 3 months.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Abandon hope all ye who still shoot crop.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Haggins posted:

Nikon.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Maybe I should change hope to canon

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Fuji

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Haggins posted:

70D is nice and fairly cheap.

7DII will own whenever it's finally released for those rich birder dudes.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

The 50D is even cheaper and has a comparable sensor.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Yes, sensor-wise the 7D is really showing some serious aging and rightly so but the AF is still quite decent and the viewfinder has never been bettered or even equalled by Nikon ever on a crop body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Yeah I hate on Canon quite a bit, but the 7D is the D300 nikon never got, and the 7D2 will be the D400 Nikon will never get.