Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Are there any decent ways to diffuse the flash on phones? I've read about using a bit of wax paper over the LED, but I can hardly see a difference when I try it, and even the examples I see online are barely noticeable (especially the dude in the second link, holy moly). I guess the harsh LED is a lot harder to diffuse well than a traditional camera flash, but I'm curious if anybody's tried holding half of a ping pong ball up to their smartphone's flash yet, or something like that. Not that I'd start carrying a ping pong ball around with me for photo opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

404notfound posted:

Are there any decent ways to diffuse the flash on phones? I've read about using a bit of wax paper over the LED, but I can hardly see a difference when I try it, and even the examples I see online are barely noticeable (especially the dude in the second link, holy moly). I guess the harsh LED is a lot harder to diffuse well than a traditional camera flash, but I'm curious if anybody's tried holding half of a ping pong ball up to their smartphone's flash yet, or something like that. Not that I'd start carrying a ping pong ball around with me for photo opportunities.

I've ordered this on kickstarter http://iblazr.com/ - and is waiting for it to arrive. The kit I ordered comes with a diffuser, the iBlazr, charging cables and other stuff.

That'll hopefully overcome most of the problems with a harsh or weak flash.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The only problem with that kind of attachment is that the flash will be way off axis depending on your phone and where the camera and minijack are.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

1st AD posted:

The only problem with that kind of attachment is that the flash will be way off axis depending on your phone and where the camera and minijack are.

It comes with a flexible adapter where the flash can be connected in one end, and the other ends goes in the minijack.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Kidney Stone posted:

I've ordered this on kickstarter http://iblazr.com/ - and is waiting for it to arrive. The kit I ordered comes with a diffuser, the iBlazr, charging cables and other stuff.

That'll hopefully overcome most of the problems with a harsh or weak flash.

Seems like a neat little device, though the price and the extra inconvenience that comes with carrying an attachment everywhere is keeping me from reaching for my wallet. I guess I'll wait to see some reviews once they start shipping out. Could end up being just what I want though.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

dukeku posted:

Lightroom, Photoshop.
For the stuff I really want to look good, sure, but I'm talking everyday stuff that isn't worth the hassle. "Posting the day's photos to instagram while on the shitter" kind of stuff.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

7 by khyrre, on Flickr

8 by khyrre, on Flickr

unam3d
Dec 31, 2012

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
x

unam3d fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 6, 2015

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Not sure about the processing on this one.

14 by khyrre, on Flickr

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Pretty happy with the iphone-only processing I managed to do with this one:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Stumbled across this today: https://wantnova.com/

It's a credit-card sized off-camera flash that works with smartphones that have Bluetooth 4.0. Could be interesting, though my old Galaxy Nexus can't support it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

What a waste - you should've driven the truck in circles around the tower so the tracks made a big spiral. That woulda been wild. :)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

jackpot posted:

What a waste - you should've driven the truck in circles around the tower so the tracks made a big spiral. That woulda been wild. :)

I might be able do that tomorrow, excellent idea :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I might suggest several rings of donuts too, but that looks like a company truck and perhaps you don't want to be uploading photos of hooning someone else's property.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Hell, forget the truck - just get out there with a rake or a shovel.

unam3d
Dec 31, 2012

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
x

unam3d fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 6, 2015

widunder
May 2, 2002
VSCO madness

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

walking to circle k by s-bothun, on Flickr

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Hello, Honda

widunder
May 2, 2002

e: recropped

widunder fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 20, 2014

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

IMG_3265 by Winston85, on Flickr

I am unashamedly in love with VSCOCam and have been for years.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Went fishing this morning, No fish but...

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Lake worth street art festival

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

I normally am not a fan of taking pictures of food, particularly with an iPhone, but my wife and I do it anyway to help certain local restaurants with online reviews.

This recent 5S HDR capture turned out nicely enough, no real processing other than Photos.app's "enhance" and resizing it to 1024 long.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 27, 2014

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

4th meal.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

There's only one filter I use on Afterlight, and I turn it down by about 80% when I use it, but I love it so much:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I was putting some vacation iPhone snapshots (from St. Thomas) into iPhoto when I'd forgotten I'd pre-tagged a face.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Untitled by jankyangles, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Here are some photos that I took with my cell phone.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

An iPhone 4S picture from when I first got it, and somehow managed to almost compose a picture. Of or featuring ducks!

This was taken in St. Maarten, with the same 4S I believe in Hueless. The man presumably made the sign himself and presumably thinks it is good marketing that will make you want to buy his refreshments. I did not interview him or purchase anything so I am only guessing.

This one is from my 5S with Hueless again. I don't know what kind of lizard it was but it turned up on a nice private beach in St. Thomas (USVI). It was a cool thing to have happen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Reading psychotic signage is one of the perks of driving through rural areas. There's so much crazy out there.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
drifting and sunset

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Galaxy S3, indoors, flash.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
As a result of me trying to get into photography more seriously I've been taking more pictures with my phone too. Funny how that works.

The Moto X has kind of a lovely camera but I think it's definitely workable?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

These two are cool. I like these two photographs.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
^^Thanks! I'm having fun with these.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
If you ever get the chance to visit Washington in the spring, you owe it to yourself to check out the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm finally getting round to sorting out the non functioning HTC One S I've had for the last two years or so. Short description of the problem is that every time the data signal drops below a certain level, it boosts the relevant antennae, which creates a resonance with the hard keys at the bottom of the screen, and the phone goes nuts, minimising, task switching, bringing up menus etc. So I'm returning it. But that's not the problem.

The problem is that I have been completely spoiled by the camera on it. I love it. It comes up drat near instantly, and the contrast and detail in the resulting shots are beautiful.

The network tried to send me an early upgrade in the form of an Xperia z1, but I just can't bear to use it. The colours look washed out, the exposure is out by a mile and by the time the app's started, I've missed what I was trying to shoot.

The startup time's the main thing, so I suppose what I'm asking is which other droids have near instant camera start times, in case this isn't something they can fix (looks online as though it isn't).

Also is the One's camera still as good?