Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I haven't played this game since Abyssea, and I don't have it installed. I own the Abyssea collection on Steam, and I haven't bought Seekers.
What's the best way to install the game right now? I don't suppose Square's added a fancy self-updating client like XIV has, by any chance? I know I'm hoping against hope here.
I don't actually plan on buying Seekers, I still have plenty of content I can solo from previous expansions. But I might get it through Steam if it's going to save me a lot of effort on the install, I really don't want to patch for 3 days straight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Buy seekers, then install the game and all five expansions (from steam, and then however you want with Seekers). Then go to this link http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/99953-All-Final-Fantasy-XI-PC-Updates-amp-PS2-Disc-Backups which'll have most of the updates you need, follow the instructions there, and then do the last few updates with POL. It should take a few hours, but that's better than some ungodly time to download it all through POL.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
This website:

http://tehkrizz.net/FFXI/downloads.php

has everything you need. No updating required.

Loner-Assassin
Mar 18, 2008

The Fragrance of Dark Coffee

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Welp. Discovered a couple of guys I work with used to play this too, and all the reminiscing got me to reactivate my old account. Since the servers got trimmed I get to choose a new one and might as well go to Quetz with the other goons! Stopped playing a bit after WotG came out so probably missing a ton of changes. And we get a mog island now? Anything new really spectacular to check out first? Really not looking forward to re-doing all my macros. And what's the big thing to get gil again since I'm pretty poor?

Check out http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/contguide/ It's a pretty up to date guide for getting back into the game and its straight for S-E.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
So I just came back and have a few questions. I haven't played since the last expansion. As far as gearing at 99 goes, what should I focus on first? Right now I'm still wearing various pieces from Abyssea and the like. I keep hearing about reforging AF and I do have my AF so is that something I should work towards? How are my favorite classes doing? PLD, BLU, SMN, RDM? Also I'm wondering how RUN and GEO are. Thanks!

Loner-Assassin
Mar 18, 2008

The Fragrance of Dark Coffee

desudrive posted:

So I just came back and have a few questions. I haven't played since the last expansion. As far as gearing at 99 goes, what should I focus on first? Right now I'm still wearing various pieces from Abyssea and the like. I keep hearing about reforging AF and I do have my AF so is that something I should work towards? How are my favorite classes doing? PLD, BLU, SMN, RDM? Also I'm wondering how RUN and GEO are. Thanks!

Go ahead and start doing Records of Eminence to get your spark gear. That will baseline you at ilvl 117, then relic or AF reforging is your goal after that. I play a RDM and a great thing about sparks gear is that you can be a decent (solo) melee RDM as we're included on the sword and phys damage gear. Not to sure about the other.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Eight-Six posted:

There's no particularly quick way to sum up that the game has changed an enormous amount. The old ways are dead, long live FFXI. This details just about every change to the game since Abyssea launched in 2010.

The short version to some of your answers: you'll want to hit level 99, you want to do Records of Eminence quests to get Sparks, which you use to get some really drat good gear for almost no effort, and depending on your jobs you'll want to solo Dynamis or Salvage II to sell currency/alexandrite.

Loner-Assassin posted:

Check out http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/contguide/ It's a pretty up to date guide for getting back into the game and its straight for S-E.

Thanks for the links! It's been interesting to read up on all the changes affecting what me and my friends hated most about the game. Things like increased movement speed, more vendors and teleport points, with more exp gained should speed things up nicely. Travel time was something my friends complained a lot over. I was wondering how having people pool their crafting was going to work out and not surprised the general reaction was 'meh'. But it does seem a lot of the high level bullets I'll want will need it.

Getting back my original account was interesting. The 'regaining' of the account was really easy and just took 5 min talking to a rep in their chat room. Linking it to the new SE account was just frustrating though, and took an additional 2 jumps into their chat help room to finally get properly linked and setup. Now that everything's working, just going to wait till the start of the month to rejoin so I can have a few days to con my work buddy into coming back. But since I was on Titan, do I automatically get shifted to a new server (phoenix I think) or get to choose? Wording was a little flakey on this.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Hi guys.

8 days later and I'm still in this stupid room waiting for Gulool Ja Ja. :(

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Thanks for the links! It's been interesting to read up on all the changes affecting what me and my friends hated most about the game. Things like increased movement speed, more vendors and teleport points, with more exp gained should speed things up nicely. Travel time was something my friends complained a lot over. I was wondering how having people pool their crafting was going to work out and not surprised the general reaction was 'meh'. But it does seem a lot of the high level bullets I'll want will need it.

Getting back my original account was interesting. The 'regaining' of the account was really easy and just took 5 min talking to a rep in their chat room. Linking it to the new SE account was just frustrating though, and took an additional 2 jumps into their chat help room to finally get properly linked and setup. Now that everything's working, just going to wait till the start of the month to rejoin so I can have a few days to con my work buddy into coming back. But since I was on Titan, do I automatically get shifted to a new server (phoenix I think) or get to choose? Wording was a little flakey on this.

The servers were merged a while ago so you'll be on Titan which includes both the servers Titan and Phoenix! http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/polnews/news20492.shtml

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

desudrive posted:

How are my favorite classes doing? PLD, BLU, SMN, RDM? Also I'm wondering how RUN and GEO are. Thanks!

PLD is still doing well. You need one for all the hard AA fights and the SKCNMs to hold mobs. The downside is you absolutely need Ochain and Aegis or no one is really going to take you anywhere. Ochain at the very least and you can cap MDT very easily, but you'd be much better off having both.

BLU I dont see used much. It was nice in Delve for abusing Requiescat, but that's not really the big event it was. I'm sure it's more than okay on normal fights, but I can't see anyone taking BLU to VD.

SMN is in a great spot now. We take 1 to every DM. With the new items their bloodpacks do bonkers damage and they still have great buffs.

RDM is a shadow of its former glory. It is still useful as a refresh and haste whore, but really its main benefit is Dia 2 and Phalanx.
We take them to events so it does have a use, they just aren't the gods they used to be. :( Makes me sad since I was originally a RDM main.

RUN is getting a bit better bit still meh. SE designed it as a tank and it just does not fit that role at all. Recent patches helped it a lot in the damage department so it might see support DD becomes its main roll over time. Not a huge incentive to play one now.

GEO is awesome. We again take 1 to every DM or Delve. It's buffs and debuffs are just too good to pass up. If you don't mind looking like a giant mushroom it's a good job to play.

LiquidFriend posted:

Hi guys.

Medusa took me 28 days. See if you can beat my record!

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 27, 2014

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Medusa took me 28 days. See if you can beat my record!

Jamie will combust IRL from constant bitching well before that.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes

Awesome, thanks a lot! BLU is still my fave so I'm sure I'll see how well I can do with it. I'll definitely have to play around with SMN and GEO soon.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

desudrive posted:

Awesome, thanks a lot! BLU is still my fave so I'm sure I'll see how well I can do with it. I'll definitely have to play around with SMN and GEO soon.

Summoner is actually bugged at the moment. Our accuracy bonus from gear caps at +20. I don't know if this includes +skill's acc bonus to pacts, but I highly suspect it does, since most all our normal pacts have an accuracy % in the 20s on d and vd AA fights.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
I ended up getting some cheap spark and bayld gear for my BLU and my damage has nearly tripled. I'm falling in love with the class again. That being said, what are the requirements for some of the endgame activities like Delve and Skirmish, etc?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

desudrive posted:

I ended up getting some cheap spark and bayld gear for my BLU and my damage has nearly tripled. I'm falling in love with the class again. That being said, what are the requirements for some of the endgame activities like Delve and Skirmish, etc?

Skirmish I and II can basically be done in spark/bayld gear (you'll mostly want to do skirmish II since that drops the NQ armor). For Delve you'll want to look at the FFXIAH BLU guide http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/3...e-to-blue-mage/ and gear as best you can with non-Delve items. Also get Requiescat 5/5 ASAP.

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?
Apart from sparks, what are some other good ways to make money completely solo once you hit 99?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

G Prestige posted:

Apart from sparks, what are some other good ways to make money completely solo once you hit 99?

Dynamis and Salvage are both good. Until people get sick of it, doing the reives in Ra'Kaznar drop Skirmish pieces that sell for 1 million+ and there are typically plenty of people clearing them/afking at the reive until the next one pops. If you have an old character with a ton of old seals, soloing the KCNM30s for upgrade items that people use for reforged AF is decent money.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

G Prestige posted:

Get an Ebisu rod and bot fish Hakuryu's in glacier all day every day.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

LiquidFriend posted:

Hi guys.

Only took 297 hours to finally pop!

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

LiquidFriend posted:

Only took 297 hours to finally pop!

We good for Ein and old Nyzul now?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

CubsWoo posted:

We good for Ein and old Nyzul now?

Yeah

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Yumcax now with a timer:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/40488

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Oh boy I can't wait. :shepicide:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

:catstare:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

What dark corner of the internet did that steaming pile come from

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Get ready for Merit Points 2: Merit Harder. And you won't be able to get them from Abyssea.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Eight-Six posted:

Get ready for Merit Points 2: Merit Harder. And you won't be able to get them from Abyssea.

Where does it say you can't get Job Points in Abyssea?

Also, it seems they're finally enabling combat and magic skillups in Campaign battles. Something they should have done years ago, but hey, every little bit helps.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Man I'm getting tired of everything new requiring exp to do. =/

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

Also, it seems they're finally enabling combat and magic skillups in Campaign battles. Something they should have done years ago, but hey, every little bit helps.

It's in the JP dev tracker.

Google Translate JP Dev Tracker posts posted:

When you kill a monster of level 96 or more in a state of being acquired important thing "Job breaker",
you can get a new point of "capacity points" in addition to the experience.

It is a specification that can not be obtained capacity point in Abyssea.
By defeating the monster of some content or monsters, of field
and the resulting capacity point. The capacity point from Eminence record versions up time of March you will not be able to get

So mobs killed must be L96+ and XP gained from Abyssea and RoE don't count. This might be a bit of a struggle for mages, but any job in spark gear + 3 Trusts should have no issues solo chaining XP.

Also good news for the Jamie of 2 weeks ago:

quote:

Beastmen Kings
In the March Update, we will be reducing the respawn timers of Gulool Ja Ja/Gurfurlur the Menacing /Medusa. I won't give an exact time, but the plan is to reduce it so that you won't have to camp it for days at a time.

We gave this very careful consideration because it is directly tied to the difficulty to the Mythic Weapons, however because players are so much stronger than they were at the implementation of Besieged, it has become very difficult for players to combat these NMs, and thus this change will go through.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 6, 2014

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Okay, that sounds kind of stupid, almost like a bug or an oversight but I can't really tell. How is EXP gain rate outside of Abyssea these days?

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Unoffically translated dev post on BG. In the discussion thread is someone saying that the German community-dev post says the monsters have to be level 96+, which means you could probably find some mobs in Heroes Abyssea zones to do it, but I'm not sure I would count on it.

e: f, b

EXP in Adoulin zones is alright, get a chain going and you'll be hitting 1k per mob easily in Ceizak, probably more in Outer Ra'Kaznarwhatever. If they do another double EXP weekend when Job Points are out you could clean house.

Eight-Six fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 6, 2014

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Eight-Six posted:

EXP in Adoulin zones is alright, get a chain going and you'll be hitting 1k per mob easily in Ceizak, probably more in Outer Ra'Kaznarwhatever. If they do another double EXP weekend when Job Points are out you could clean house.

In Marj' ravine you can easily net 2.5k per and chain endlessly with fellows. I expect to see parties and alliances forming to just utterly decimate entire zones. As for the exp, I suspect it's the same level as poo poo that gives sacred kindred crests, which you can get from heroes of abyssea zones.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

CubsWoo posted:

Also good news for the Jamie of 2 weeks ago:
If I didn't have the titles, it would of just been delayed. :shobon:

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...

ZWZ
May 6, 2007

Homerun

What did they do to Mandau?

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

March 18 is the date for the next patch, some details here.

Next login campaign starts Monday, don't forget to spend your current points before Sunday. Empyrean gear is up next for a reforging so start +2ing your poo poo.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

ZWZ posted:

What did they do to Mandau?

At the time, delve/fracture came out. Mandau 99 had DMG 55 delay 185. Izhikoh has DMG 108 delay 200
There was a several month delay before they boosted r/e/m to 119ilvl.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

quote:

Change respawn system for certain NMs in Mamook, Halvung, and Arrapago Reef

Sounds like they're going to make it easier to spawn Gulool/Gurfurlur/Medusa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Sounds like they're going to make it easier to spawn Gulool/Gurfurlur/Medusa.

That's exactly what they are doing. After all, Jamie just spent like 6 days straight in mamook for gulool ja ja.