Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I accidentally became a rules advisor by taking the test online looking at judge stuff because I was curious, not realizing that it was a "real" test and that Rules Advisor is actually a thing. The test isn't that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The current rules advisor test is harder than the L1 test.

Also hands down the best place to study is here.

http://wiki.magicjudges.org/en/w/Judge_Classes

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting more and more inclined to think we'll see fetches reprinted given (1) Wizards wants to keep the format reasonably accessible and I think the manabase is more likely to be something they specifically want to keep accessible, (2) I bet they are getting pissed about SCG stockpiling and profiteering at the expense of the work they have put into the format, and (3) they could be making that money themselves (MMA2?). What I can't figure out yet is how long to wait before selling fetches.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Makes sense. I'm hanging onto mine because I actually play Modern and need them for decks. I have no interest in Standard, so I'm just going to hang onto my fetches and continue to drop my jaw at every price increase.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

They did shocks last year. They'd be insane not to do fetches very soon. Basically there's no reason to hold them if you don't intend to play fairly large amounts of legacy or modern over the next year.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

We were always going to get Fetches reprinted but given WOTCs production cycle we likely have to wait a year or more to see them in either a Standard Legal set or a supplementary product.

The time to sell your Fetches is somewhere around June, at the height of PTQ season.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Stinky Pit posted:

We were always going to get Fetches reprinted but given WOTCs production cycle we likely have to wait a year or more to see them in either a Standard Legal set or a supplementary product.

The time to sell your Fetches is somewhere around June, at the height of PTQ season.

When was it announced RTR was going to have shocks? We have no guarantee fetches are coming this fall but I'd want to be out before they could announce it.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Nehru the Damaja posted:

When was it announced RTR was going to have shocks? We have no guarantee fetches are coming this fall but I'd want to be out before they could announce it.

The hopes and prayers of everyone wanting a Shock Fetch superstandard.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Smashing Link posted:

I'm getting more and more inclined to think we'll see fetches reprinted given (1) Wizards wants to keep the format reasonably accessible and I think the manabase is more likely to be something they specifically want to keep accessible, (2) I bet they are getting pissed about SCG stockpiling and profiteering at the expense of the work they have put into the format, and (3) they could be making that money themselves (MMA2?). What I can't figure out yet is how long to wait before selling fetches.

1. They will reprint them. The major question is in standard or in a more limited product like Modern Masters 2? If the former the price will go down drastically, if the latter it really really depends on the size of the print run.

2. You are wearing a tin foil hat about this poo poo. SCG isn't stockpiling anything. They are now offering $70 because that is what it takes to get a player/collector to get rid of theirs. And honestly it still isn't enough for most people. My friends and I do some events and we discussed that $70 still isn't enough for us to consider selling our fetches.

3. The answer is they will either have fetches out by this year or next summer. May 30th is the Modern Event deck, so that is chance one. June and July will see Conspiracy and m15, and the fall set is out in Sept. If we don't see them by then, then it is to summer 2015 for MMA2 we go! I hope it is fall set, it will be opened so much, it will affect the price the most. We'll probably get back to 10-20 fetches by November/December if it is the fall set. If it is MMA2 then we'll probably get back to 30-50 for fetches. There won't be enough MMA2 to drop the price most likely.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Thanks for posting about the Rules Advisor and Judge tests. I passed the Rules Advisor test and contacted my local L2 to arrange the L1 test. Yay!

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The best part is when they reprint fetches, demand for other Modern staples will go up, and morons will foam at the mouth about how horribly unreasonable WOTC's reprint policy is and instantly forget they reprinted some of the most demanded staples incredibly recently just like they did with Shocks, MMA and Thoughtseize

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stinky Pit posted:

The best part is when they reprint fetches, demand for other Modern staples will go up, and morons will foam at the mouth about how horribly unreasonable WOTC's reprint policy is and instantly forget they reprinted some of the most demanded staples incredibly recently just like they did with Shocks, MMA and Thoughtseize

Yeah Wizards in their ivory tower throw down a tiny handful of goyfs and bobs and say "Are you satisfied? We reprinted them like you asked!" Seriously, what amount of goyfs were printed in the entire run? < 1000?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

God forbid we make an impact on the secondary market.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Stinky Pit posted:

You better believe I'm gonna buy a set of every shock immediately post rotation. Those fuckers are gonna dip straight to 2-3 and i'll be able to get all of them for less than multiple hundreds of dollars and their price can only go up up up

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I don't think the current prices on Modern cards are sustainable. Demand will taper off at some point. I mean, I'm glad on one level that my cards have increased so much in value, but goddamn I want more people to play Modern with.

Edit: ^^Also doing that.

Edit edit: They will probably all drop a little, but not much lower than like $7-8

ScarletBrother fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 6, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

And that is why shocks will not go down

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Death Bot posted:

You better believe I'm gonna buy a set of every shock immediately post rotation. Those fuckers are gonna dip straight to 2-3 and i'll be able to get all of them for less than multiple hundreds of dollars and their price can only go up up up

Shocks are not going to dip very much I don't think. Modern being a hot thing will keep the demand up, things rotating out of standard is far less of an impact now if you're talking about cards that hold value. I imagine they will dip slightly, but not down to 2-3. I think the least desirable ones will go down to like 6-7, but anything that you'd see in Modern Jund etc will stay up above 10 no problem.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Stinky Pit posted:

The current rules advisor test is harder than the L1 test.

Also hands down the best place to study is here.

http://wiki.magicjudges.org/en/w/Judge_Classes

The rules advisor test kills me because I can intuit the correct result 99% of the time, but I can't tell you the Magic Reasons that it happened.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
RTR shocks are already down to like 6-8 bucks apiece, right? How much lower can they go?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Mortimer posted:

Yeah Wizards in their ivory tower throw down a tiny handful of goyfs and bobs and say "Are you satisfied? We reprinted them like you asked!" Seriously, what amount of goyfs were printed in the entire run? < 1000?

MMA was a significant print run, the fact that it couldn't do much to prices has way more to do with the massive growth the game was had over the years. WOTC couldn't plan, and no company would reasonably plan for their customer base to double year after year.

"In their Ivory Tower" you sound ridiculous. Wizards can't meet demand with any immediacy, that's certainly a problem, but understandable considering the growth of their market and their production model but from huge sectors of the community there is zero willingness to show any patience, and petulant anger that you can't receive instant gratification.

toadee posted:

God forbid we make an impact on the secondary market.

One of the most crucial cycles of lands can now be had for like 6-8 dollars a copy and will likely fall further after rotation. Your argument holds literally no water. They can't address demand with any sort of immediacy and instead of going "poo poo, I can't believe the game is growing" and recognizing that the company your whining about isn't nowhere near as deaf to the concerns of you or other players you constantly post passive aggressively about how mean they are to you.

toadee posted:

Shocks are not going to dip very much I don't think. Modern being a hot thing will keep the demand up, things rotating out of standard is far less of an impact now if you're talking about cards that hold value. I imagine they will dip slightly, but not down to 2-3. I think the least desirable ones will go down to like 6-7, but anything that you'd see in Modern Jund etc will stay up above 10 no problem.

Every single card, regardless of Modern play-ability has dropped post standard rotation. Fetches were as little as 10 dollars following rotation, Snapcaster went to 15, at one point Geist hit 12. They will drop and then rise after just like every other modern staple that has rotated.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 6, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

RTR shocks are already down to like 6-8 bucks apiece, right? How much lower can they go?

DOWN DOwn down... :negative:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Entropic posted:

Cheapest is Steam Vents which shows $9 according to mtgprice. Most are above $10.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Stinky Pit posted:

One of the most crucial cycles of lands can now be had for like 6-8 dollars a copy and will likely fall further after rotation. Your argument holds literally no water. They can't address demand with any sort of immediacy and instead of going "poo poo, I can't believe the game is growing" and recognizing that the company your whining about isn't nowhere near as deaf to the concerns of you or other players you constantly post passive aggressively about how mean they are to you.

Well, lets see, they could have printed MMA like an expansion and sold it through box retailers for $3.99 a pack until the cows came home. They definitely could have done that.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

toadee posted:

Well, lets see, they could have printed MMA like an expansion and sold it through box retailers for $3.99 a pack until the cows came home. They definitely could have done that.

They could have, but they said repeatedly that MMA was mostly just them testing the waters for a total reprint set. Future versions of MMA will almost certainly be more widely available.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I'm just saying, people keep treating it like they just had to do it that way, there was just no possible other way to have handled it, no sir.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

M10 check lands have been printed 4 times, and Glacial Fortress is $3. That's probably about the floor for playable duals, right?

So one more full printing of the shocks and they'll be $4-8. Reprint all 10 fetches over the next 4-5 years and they'll drop back down in the $20 range. That seems reasonable. Have your actual mana-tapping lands be dirt cheap and your spiky competitive lands be $20.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

toadee posted:

They could have also given out for free

There are a lot of reasons why MMA wasn't sold like a traditional set, and they've been constantly discussed in this thread. You might not like them or agree with them but WOTC isn't comically evil or stupid because they behave in a way that doesn't directly correlate to your interests and desires.

toadee posted:

I'm just saying, people keep treating it like they just had to do it that way, there was just no possible other way to have handled it, no sir.

No they don't, people understandably treat it like a tentative first step and positive sign of things to come. But when anyone points to MMA as a sign that Wizards isn't blind to the desires of their customers you and plenty of other posters go off about how poo poo and terrible it was because it didn't make goyf 30 dollars.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

toadee posted:

It was the smartest way for them to do it. They didn't know how it would affect the market and decided to take a conservative route. Yes, they could have done it differently, but it would have been a risk they weren't willing to take.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
But they didn't do it the way that I wanted them to do it and therefore everything WOTC does is wrong and stupid.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Stinky Pit posted:

They could have also given out for free

There are a lot of reasons why MMA wasn't sold like a traditional set, and they've been constantly discussed in this thread. You might not like them or agree with them but WOTC isn't comically evil or stupid because they behave in a way that doesn't directly correlate to your interests and desires.

I never said they were comically evil or stupid, I just said they definitely could have handled it differently (and I definitely think they should have). It is simply incorrect to say there was 'nothing they could possibly do' about availability. They chose to make it extremely limited, which is preventing tons of people from enjoying it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

toadee posted:

They could have. It would've been a really bad idea though.

Stinky Pit posted:

No they don't, people understandably treat it like a tentative first step and positive sign of things to come. But when anyone points to MMA as a sign that Wizards isn't blind to the desires of their customers you and plenty of other posters go off about how poo poo and terrible it was because it didn't make goyf 30 dollars.

Aaron said flat out in the big thing he wrote announcing the set that MMA was a first step, and that they were being cautious because of this. Their reasoning was that if it turns out that they didn't print enough, they can always do a bigger print run next time, but if you print too much you can't magically make packs vanish.

Fairly sound reasoning that is actually based in reality if you ask me.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

toadee posted:

The shocks are already floating around $8 for most of them on TCG.

Huxley posted:

M10 check lands have been printed 4 times, and Glacial Fortress is $3. That's probably about the floor for playable duals, right?

So one more full printing of the shocks and they'll be $4-8. Reprint all 10 fetches over the next 4-5 years and they'll drop back down in the $20 range. That seems reasonable. Have your actual mana-tapping lands be dirt cheap and your spiky competitive lands be $20.

I'm hoping the shocks drop with the rotation so I can buy a couple sets of each, but I don't think they will be reprinted before I can profit from them. If I can get a play set of each land for $15-20 then I will be happy. If they get low enough that I can get them for $10-12 I will poo poo my pants with glee.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

Aaron said flat out in the big thing he wrote announcing the set that MMA was a first step, and that they were being cautious because of this. Their reasoning was that if it turns out that they didn't print enough, they can always do a bigger print run next time, but if you print too much you can't magically make packs vanish.

Are you sure he didn't say that WOTC would be allowing a scant 1000 copies of each card be carried aloft by the cruel winds of fate from the highest spire of the Renton Tower to fall like holy benediction on the heads of the unwashed masses?

I'm pretty sure he did.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

toadee posted:

They chose to make it extremely limited, which is preventing tons of people from enjoying it.

I'm pretty sure I (and maybe some other people but I'm not sure if our total weight is in the tons) enjoyed MMA limited very much thank you!

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

OssiansFolly posted:

I'm hoping the shocks drop with the rotation so I can buy a couple sets of each, but I don't think they will be reprinted before I can profit from them. If I can get a play set of each land for $15-20 then I will be happy. If they get low enough that I can get them for $10-12 I will poo poo my pants with glee.

This is basically where I'm at. I was exaggerating a bit but I don't think it's completely unreasonable to think they might dip to 6 or 7 instead of sitting at 10, which is a pretty big dip when you're planning on buying 40 36 (4 blood crypts for murdergoats :getin: ) of them.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
All you people expecting fetches in standard are just wishful thinking. I'll :toxx: anyone who cares to that the Zendikar fetches will not appear in a M15 or the next block of expert level expansions. They may appear in ancillary product but I am sure they will not end up in standard.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

All you people expecting fetches in standard are just wishful thinking. I'll :toxx: anyone who cares to that the Zendikar fetches will not appear in a M15 or the next block of expert level expansions. They may appear in ancillary product but I am sure they will not end up in standard.

Why won't they be in Standard? Were Zendikar Standard mana-bases that insane?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I'm curious why you think this?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Why? Fetches aren't inherently broken, and reprinting them in standard is the only way to make the ONS fetches modern legal (which is a thing they want to do).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Speaking of blocks rotating in/out of standard, what is going to happen to values of the RTR cards when that block rotates out? Are they going to tank?

• Locked thread