Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Demiurge4 posted:

And it just dawned on me that Mort is a dead kid :smith:

I hope his end wasn't as sad as the boy Annie helped during Chapter 16. (It's probably worse :smith:)

I've always had a problem with the "Mort is the Artilleryman" theory because he's always acted so, well...young. Mort's always been very childlike in his behavior, so it just didn't track for me that he would be the ghost of one of the founders of the Court. Though the alternative - him being a literal child - is only better in the abstract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Oh my, a story about the french revolution!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No, the covered letters clearly spell Rostov. This takes place in the (1st) Crimean War.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Blackheart posted:

Well it'd make sense for him to be French.

A surprised Mort arrives in the Realm of the Dead.
"Où suis-je ? Que s'est-il passé ?"
A Grim Reaper greets him
"Hey boy. Welcome here, you'll be staying a while. What's your name?"
Mort, not understanding anything of that foreign gibberish, looks at the hooded skeleton and says
"Je suis mort..."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

tonberrytoby posted:

Well, Zeppelins are a symbol of the WWI era.

If you're being serious, those are Barrage Balloons, hung over London (and other cities) during WWII in order stop bombers flying too low by entangling them in their ropes. It's WWII era.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

MikeJF posted:

If you're being serious, those are Barrage Balloons, hung over London (and other cities) during WWII in order stop bombers flying too low by entangling them in their ropes. It's WWII era.

Also the helmet is an air raid helmet, of the kind distributed in cities affected by the German bombing campaign (the Blitz) and the poster is based on WWII evacuation posters, down to the type face.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Well it'd make sense for him to be French.

A surprised Mort arrives in the Realm of the Dead.
"Où suis-je ? Que s'est-il passé ?"
A Grim Reaper greets him
"Hey boy. Welcome here, you'll be staying a while. What's your name?"
Mort, not understanding anything of that foreign gibberish, looks at the hooded skeleton and says
"Je suis mort..."

But the question is, will we get to see any of his stint as Death's apprentice?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

EvilTaytoMan posted:

But the question is, will we get to see any of his stint as Death's apprentice?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

No cause Disney canceled that movie to make a Seal Team 6 movie about cartoon seals.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

MikeJF posted:

I realize this now, but count me as another person who originally thought the picture had UFOs attacking London.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Blackheart posted:

Mort confirmed for Gavroche.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Dulce et decorum est, kiddo.

:smith:

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

idonotlikepeas posted:

Dulce et decorum est, kiddo.

:smith:

Pro patria Mort.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Roger Tangerines posted:

Pro patria Mort.

That's clearly Eglamore. :colbert:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Mort Gun Time.

Dodgeball posted:

That's clearly Eglamore. :colbert:

Eglamort.

Hey, we've never seen Eglamore and Mort in the same panel, have we?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Challenge accepted.
He's the one with the long, red hair, right?

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 6, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Dodgeball posted:

Challenge accepted.
He's the one with the long, red hair, right?

the curly red hair, yes

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

the curly red hair, yes

Oh, then this page finally makes sense.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
That kind of poster immediately makes me think of the American Revolution. I bet Gunnerkrigg Court isn't actually in Great Britain at all, but New England. :colbert:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

This made me laugh. Thank you.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

And it just dawned on me that Mort is a dead kid :smith:
Nope, the story's only going to go forward to the point of the explosion, but then it'll reverse back, following the course of the bomb, back up to the Luftwaffe bomber which dropped the bomb, and then zoom in on the front of the plane, sweep across the pilot, and then down onto the nose of the bomber, where the German crew painted a picture of a ghost.

Mort is the bomber that killed the kid

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So, I guess I'm the only one kinda not thrilled to be given a detailed backstory on Mort? He's such a one-track (and the track is fun) character that I feel like this is approaching bloat.

Granted it's one page so there's no guarantee that this is gonna be the entire chapter, but it's kinda concerning that we veered away from such an emotionally tense moment previously.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
We're about to learn a lot about the founding of the Court, too.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Not to mention, that might be a good occasion to give another track to Mort. I mean, how do you make a kid probably dying from the Blitz funny? If that's the direction Siddel is going to course.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Yeah but does everyone really need a tragic backstory? Well ok not tragic. Does everyone need a drawn out, beautifully composed historically accurate backstory?

In other words,

SIIIIIIGH

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Well, let's not be hasty. There's a lot we could be learning other than just a departing character's backstory, and I wouldn't want to judge even that part when all we've seen so far is a single panel establishing the setting.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'll be psyched if we get to see more of bomb girl Jones.

rotinaj posted:

That kind of poster immediately makes me think of the American Revolution. I bet Gunnerkrigg Court isn't actually in Great Britain at all, but New England. :colbert:

That would explain all the supernatural horrors... :crossarms:

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.
I can't wait until we get to learn about Boxbot's tragic origin story. You may think he deserves all the abuse he gets, but after seeing the undoubtedly tragic tale of how he ended up being so terrible, you'll realize he only deserves most of it.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
He'll probably deserve more, honestly.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Dodgeball posted:

Oh, then this page finally makes sense.

Haha, amazing.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Amazing how many people here want to see gunnerkrigg rush to the end

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

A big flaming stink posted:

So, I guess I'm the only one kinda not thrilled to be given a detailed backstory on Mort? He's such a one-track (and the track is fun) character that I feel like this is approaching bloat.

Granted it's one page so there's no guarantee that this is gonna be the entire chapter, but it's kinda concerning that we veered away from such an emotionally tense moment previously.

The chapter is called "See Ya!". I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't include Mort being taken into the Ether.

mr. stefan posted:

pretty sure nobody said anything like this.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Roger Tangerines posted:

pretty sure nobody said anything like this.

It's implied when people complain about the pace

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna laugh when the next page is just Annie and Mort standing in front of an open door filled with light and Annie just says "goodbye" and shuts Mort inside, chapter end symbol, bonus page of the closed door with the ghostbusters logo on it.

Cue witty fast enough for you comment under the page. :v:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

mr. stefan posted:

One thousand, three hundred and twenty-three pages; fourty-seven chapters; nine years... and no idea if we're even half-way through. Siddell better slow the gently caress down 'cause I can barely keep up.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Zypher posted:

Bullshit. There's a difference between "this chapter is dragging" and "skip to the end of the story".

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Nope. No grey area in between.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Zypher posted:

Zypher posted:

Nope. No grey area in between.

if there's a grey area in between, then it isn't implied, so I don't know what the heck point you're trying to make.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Pretend I said deduced or surmised instead of implied

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Webcomics are at their worst, when you actually find something cool and wanna read all of it but oh no! You've caught onto this thing too quickly! Now you have to wait [x] years until it's finished.

No update speed is quick enough when you get drawn into them so everything just drags on and on and on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you read a thing in one go you have less of an opportunity to appreciate the details. There are a ton of things in the story I wouldn't have noted but for the long road and other serial readers.