Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Mr. Wookums posted:

A more generic is http://slice.seriouseats.com/archiv...zza-recipe.html

I have not tried the posted method or recipe.

Bar pies and tavern style are not the same, but that of course looks delicious. I don't think I've ever had a bar pie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
I've previously only tried deep dish pizzas and am now attempting thinner crusts and using a pizza stone. One problem that I haven't had to deal with is how to get the dough off the peel and onto the stone. I attempted this last night with disastrous results.

Is there a protip on easily moving dough from the peel to oven?

e: I dusted it with what I thought was plenty of flour.

Pizza Club fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 5, 2014

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Pizza Club posted:

I've previously only tried deep dish pizzas and am now attempting thinner crusts and using a pizza stone. One problem that I haven't had to deal with is how to get the dough off the peel and onto the stone. I attempted this last night with disastrous results.

I'm sure there's many ways of doing it, but I gave up and bought this:

http://www.superpeel.com

I love it.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Pizza Club posted:

Corn meal

I don't use a peel or a stone but it works with my cast iron.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Pizza Club posted:

I use rice flour to prevent sticking: it works well and leaves less floury taste. But I'm still pretty terrible for getting the crust onto the stone so I just use parchment paper. Often I'll remove the parchment paper after a minute or so of cooking.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Even with a small amount of cornmeal and spending entirely too much time building my pizza directly on the peel, I've never had a problem.

Get a small bag of corn meal. It's worth it.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I use semolina flour(when I have it) or cornmeal. Using AP flour has never really worked for me- I think you really need to use something coarse.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pizza Club posted:

Many solutions!

1.) Make sure you're snapping your wrist to produce torque in the pie. This will usually pull any sticky parts off the board and get the whole thing moving.

2.) Try pulling up an edge of the pie and blowing. Do it just enough and it will lift the pie in the center, letting it slide off easy.

3.) If you are continually having these problems, try popping your shell in the oven as soon as you've finished making it, then pulling it out after 30secs to a minute, then building.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

Veritek83 posted:

I use semolina flour(when I have it) or cornmeal. Using AP flour has never really worked for me- I think you really need to use something coarse.

I had semolina and I didn't think to use it!

Brawnfire posted:

Many solutions!

1.) Make sure you're snapping your wrist to produce torque in the pie. This will usually pull any sticky parts off the board and get the whole thing moving.

2.) Try pulling up an edge of the pie and blowing. Do it just enough and it will lift the pie in the center, letting it slide off easy.

3.) If you are continually having these problems, try popping your shell in the oven as soon as you've finished making it, then pulling it out after 30secs to a minute, then building.

I'll try all of these things. The recipe I was trying to do was the one linked above, the bar pizza, which said to partially cook the dough before building anyway.

Thanks everyone!

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Pizza Club posted:

In my experience, you need to keep it moving. While you work on it, give it a few quick shakes back and forth every 10-20 seconds seconds to slide it around a bit, so it never has a chance to settle in and stick.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

In my experience, you need to keep it moving. While you work on it, give it a few quick shakes back and forth every 10-20 seconds seconds to slide it around a bit, so it never has a chance to settle in and stick.

This is a true thing. Maybe not every 10-20 seconds, but maybe every time you add a topping or what not.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Yeah I exaggerated the time, its probably more like 30 seconds - 1 minute, but getting a pizza stuck is way worse than giving it an extra shake every now and then so I err on the side of caution.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Yeah I exaggerated the time, its probably more like 30 seconds - 1 minute, but getting a pizza stuck is way worse than giving it an extra shake every now and then so I err on the side of caution.

Agreed. Stuck pizzas are one of the worst feelings that cooking can make you feel.t

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Veritek83 posted:

Agreed. Stuck pizzas are one of the worst feelings that cooking can make you feel.t

I remember once I made a deluxe pulled-pork and jalapeno pizza... this thing was huge, beautiful, big puffy proofed crust. Bunch of friends waiting excitedly, with beer and a bongful. And the whole thing came off the peel beautifully.

Except for a single, dime-sized spot that stuck. The whole pizza folded around that spot and puked toppings onto a 550-degree stone, which cracked instantly. Needless to say, I had a little fit.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Imagine trying to cook a pizza at 1000ish degrees on a big green egg...and you gently caress it up and feed the pizza into the fire :smith:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I use a baking sheet as a peel and it works fine.

Tips -

- Flour
- Good dough consistency
- Don't let it sit too long.
- Practice

Some people like to use parchment paper.
Never liked corn meal, it makes the pizza seem like something you'd get in Ohio.

Really though, if you get the dough right, it won't cause a problem.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Second run with the new pizza stone today. Prosciutto, basil, garlic, tomato, and onion.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Will my pizza still crust and blacken on the bottom on my baking steel if I use parchment paper? That just seems like easier all around.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Will my pizza still crust and blacken on the bottom on my baking steel if I use parchment paper? That just seems like easier all around.

It will. Maybe not quite as much, but it definitely will get some color. Texture is a bit different, but it's not a terrible option.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Couple of things...

To start with, here is what I did over the weekend. I know, I know.. not exactly an original idea, but it's hard to argue with the results.

$12 worth of 20 gauge stainless steel
$10 worth of hardware
$15 for a quarter inch 24"x24" a36 steel plate (cut down to a ~22" circle). suspended at lid level similar to the baking steel setup used in the kettle pizza colab. (sorry, the baking steel didn't making it into the picture.

Took it for a test driver over the weekend. Unfortunately my infrared thermometer only goes up to 600 f, the good news though is that it errored out when I tried to read the temp of the stone... which means it was above (hopefully well above) 600 f. :flame:

Ok on to THE QUESTION:

I plan on giving my first attempt at dough tomorrow. I found one store in my area that sells caputto 00 flour but of course they only had one 2.2lb bag left in stock.

The traditional Napoli style recipe i intended to go with calls for for a little over 1240 grams of 00 flour which leave me about half a lb shy. I have the bakers percentages, would it be ok for me to simply cut the water, salt, yeast, est. down to my 2.2lbs of flour using those bakers percentages? Also, would it be disastrous to just use all purpose flour to make up for the missing amount?

Appreciate the help.

Sointenly fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 12, 2014

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

In my experience, good technique is far more important than good ingredients for pizza dough/crust. If you do it right with that set-up, I have no doubt you could produce incredible pizza utilizing 100% bargain brand AP flour. I'd just make up the difference with whatever flour I had on hand, and aim to have enough of the stuff I wanted next time.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Sointenly posted:

I have the bakers percentages, would it be ok for me to simply cut the water, salt, years, est using those percentages?
Absolutely. 1240g of flour should make enough dough to serve like 8-12 people, right? Seems like more than enough for an initial test drive.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Easychair Bootson posted:

Absolutely. 1240g of flour should make enough dough to serve like 8-12 people, right? Seems like more than enough for an initial test drive.

I agree, and yes according to the recipe it should make something like eight 12" pies. My plan was to do the full batch and then freeze any remaining dough.

Also, thank you for the confirmation on cutting down the recipe. I think what I'll do is call 2#'s my 100% flour mark and work out the other percentages from there. Depending on how this batch turns out, maybe next time i'll try cutting in some AP to round out the number.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

I didn't realize the recipe was so much larger than you needed, yeah I'd scale that down.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Took my first attempt at dough making tonight and had and issue with stickiness. I started with a 61% hydration Caputto 00 recipe that I found on youtube (the white dude who lives in Japan for anyone who's familiar) which called for a little more 00 flour than I was able to get my hands. Doing some simple math I thought I had it scaled down correct.

The issue I had was that the dough was quite sticky. The recipe i was using called for 907g of 00 flour, and 553g of ice water which SHOULD be a 61% hydration if my calculations are correct. The dough was firm enough to form a ball, but was still sticking to my hands and the side of the bowl. I kneaded as best I could and then let the dough rest hoping it would take some of the stick out, unfortunately it didn't. I knew the dough was too wet so I ended up dusting it with more flour at a little at a time until it became more manageable. By the time it was said and done, I had probably added an extra quarter cup of 00. A couple of kneed / rest cycles later I ended up with a pretty firm / smooth dough that was still slightly sticky but otherwise looked good.

Any thoughts on my sticky dough?

Here are the exact measurements I started out with (assuming my cheap food scale was giving accurate measurements).

Caputo 00 Flour (small red bag) - 907g - 100%
Cold Water - 553g - 61%
Salt - 22g - 2.25%
Active Dry yeast - 1.5 g (my scale wasn't accurate with this little weight so this was more of an eye ball... fingers crossed)

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
We got a little distracted in our pizza pursuits while going through the house process, but now that everything is squared away I went back to making pizza last night. And cracked our old hand-me-down pizza stone because the pizza stuck, a problem I have had quite often. I saw the seriouseats review of the baking steel - it focused on the pizza cooking, which seems to be better than a traditional stone, and more importantly I can't imagine the steel would have any issue with sauce dripping onto it like the stone does. Looks like that will be one of our first purchases!

Can someone recommend a scale that measures in tenths of grams? Many recipes call for 1.5, 2.5 g of yeast and I haven't come across anything that exact.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Zhent posted:

Can someone recommend a scale that measures in tenths of grams? Many recipes call for 1.5, 2.5 g of yeast and I haven't come across anything that exact.

i'd appreciate this also. My scale will only do whole grams and really only is accurate over 5 grams, which is a bummer for trying to measure yeast.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Whoops. Ignore this. The scale we use only goes down to a gram, not a tenth of a gram.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 13, 2014

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I use a handy table for yeast measurements: http://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm

That way if your scale doesn't register such small amounts or whatever, at least you can use teaspoon measures. As long as you're pretty close, adding slightly more or less yeast won't gently caress up your dough.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
I use my bread-maker to make my dough. Yeah its probably cheating but I always come out with good dough. I even use the recipe they provided for pizza dough. I love how its just pouring all the ingredients in, coming back a hour later and you have nicely risen dough. I usually split this into two and let it proof again.

I don't even have a stone or whatever, I just bake it on the perforated pizza pans they use at pizza places to bake their pizzas. They sell them locally at GFS stores.

I do have some experience in hand tossing since I was a pizza dude at a Domino's pizza when I was a teenager. So it usually produces a nice round thin sheet of pizza with nice crust edge.

Ive tried the pizza stone thing before and I guess I just never preheated it enough or something because it would never brown my underside like I wanted.

But this steel thing has got me intrigued. Im probably going to get one and check it out it makes sense. Im going to see if they have any spare 1/4 steel chunks lying around at the shop at my work first.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Peechka posted:

I use my bread-maker to make my dough. Yeah its probably cheating but I always come out with good dough. I even use the recipe they provided for pizza dough. I love how its just pouring all the ingredients in, coming back a hour later and you have nicely risen dough. I usually split this into two and let it proof again.

I don't even have a stone or whatever, I just bake it on the perforated pizza pans they use at pizza places to bake their pizzas. They sell them locally at GFS stores.

I do have some experience in hand tossing since I was a pizza dude at a Domino's pizza when I was a teenager. So it usually produces a nice round thin sheet of pizza with nice crust edge.

Ive tried the pizza stone thing before and I guess I just never preheated it enough or something because it would never brown my underside like I wanted.

But this steel thing has got me intrigued. Im probably going to get one and check it out it makes sense. Im going to see if they have any spare 1/4 steel chunks lying around at the shop at my work first.

According to some web research, the baking steel is 1/4" A36 steel.

Last week i went down to the local metal yard. They have a "scrap" area where they sell by the pound rather than by linear foot. I was able to find a 24x24" 1/4" thick A36 steel plate and got it for $.25/lb. All said i think I ended up paying a little more than $10 for it.

I scrubbed the poo poo out of it with soap and water, seasoned it on my bbq with some vegetable oil and am going to give it a try in my pizza oven this weekend.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Zhent posted:

I use one of these. You just fill the hopper full of yeast and punch in the amount in grams that you want to dispense. Accurate to +/- 0.01 grams.

(not a serious recommendation nor do I actually put ingredients in the hopper, but I do use the scale for yeast and salt measurements)

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
From my understanding of what yeast actually does after many years of brewing beer, why would you want to measure yeast to the nearest 1/10th gram? that's a bit silly isn't it?

I mean people which make bread have a yeast starter in the fridge and really the more the better. You want that yeast to multiply and be happy.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Yea also checking in as a brewer, just eyeball it or use a measuring spoon. Even Rhulman uses measuring spoons for yeast in Ratio.

Daedalus Esquire fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 14, 2014

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Flour is the only thing I consider important to measure by weight, since it's so compressible that I could never get consistent results with measuring cups. I measure water by weight too, but only since I have the scale set up. Yeast, salt, whatever else I add to dough gets spooned in.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
A lot of people prefer to use a bakers percentage for their recipes which means each ingredient is a percentage of the total flour that was used. This is probably more applicable for lager batch baking, but it does help to keep everything in the same unit.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

I don't even really measure my flour anymore, just my water/salt/yeast. I start with roughly half the flour I'm going to use, then continually add more in the mixing/kneading process until I get it to the consistency I want. How much flour I actually need depends on too many variables, so I find going by look/feel way more reliable. Ratios which work great in one place may be completely off in another place with different flour, humidity, and who knows what else.

I prefer high-hydration doughs and stickiness is a constant problem. The only reliable tool against it I've found is to use lots of bench flour, and to never let the dough sit still for too long. When using lots of bench flour you also need to be careful you don't end up with any huge blobs of flour under your crust.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Hrmm, so I blew up my cheap pizza stone last night using it in my franken-weber. The temps spiked at just under a thousand degrees.

Would a couple drops of cheese at a very high temp cause a stone to give up on life? Trying to figure out if it was just the heat, or if I really need to be THAT careful when I fire pizzas.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Was it wet? did you slowly heat it up? Usually thats the culprits of cracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Peechka posted:

Was it wet? did you slowly heat it up? Usually thats the culprits of cracking.

Nope. I have a feeling it was the combination of store bought pizza dough + super extra hot temperatures.

The dough had oil in it which I wasnt accounting for. I think the oil may have gotten onto the stone because I was noticing it would flame up a bit as I took the pizzas off.