Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Stroop There It Is posted:

On the topic of cat furniture, my idiot apparently is a vertical scratcher, and I don't think sisal does it for him. He enjoys scratching leather and textured fabric (our couch), and I'm trying to find a decent alternative to present him with. So far he has completely ignored the Scratch Lounge, other vertical cardboard scratcher, and arc-shaped sisal/rug scratcher I got him, so I'm thinking a scratching post might be a better idea. Does anyone have one to recommend? I'm a grad student, so the cheaper the better.

The catte in question on the couch that he loves to destroy:

But a cheap rear end rug, cut some swatches out of it and tape it to your couch corners?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMchna
Nov 9, 2013

2 thicc 2 exist
Lipstick Apathy

Goodpancakes posted:

But a cheap rear end rug, cut some swatches out of it and tape it to your couch corners?

Adding to this, when my dad worked in sales for a construction company he often brought home carpet samples, like the kind youd see at Lowes or Home Depot. They were usually a decent size but I don't know what policies stores/companies have about their old samples. I reckon if you could find some of those, it might be a good source of stuff he can scratch!

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Thanks for all these ideas! I'll report back when I find something that works.

Have another doofus photo.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Guess who got his Bowtie! :3:

Tucker!

Thank you, Funhilde! Now all I need is a lacy one, or something feminine for my Josie!

Stroop There It Is posted:

Thanks for all these ideas! I'll report back when I find something that works.

Have another doofus photo.

I was thinking more of a Velcro setup. Velcro on some thick fabric, like maybe some cloth place mats? The Velcro will keep it in place, and you can replace them!

If you want to discourage him from scratching the couch, get a vertical scratching post in similar fabric.

Bina fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 5, 2014

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Edit: Double Post. Woops!

Duckie
Sep 12, 2010

This is sewious!
We bought one of the tall big armarkat's about 2 years ago, we have two cats, one overweight. The big one gets into the high up basket and it rocks around when he's adjusting a little bit, but otherwise it's been very stable. We keep it vacuumed and it still looks really good.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I spent the last few months in the hospital (criscodisco managed to have himself a great big ole heart attack), and my partner was there with me pretty much 24/7, going home long enough to fill food bowls and empty litter boxes, and I got home just a few days ago.

Now Mr. Chalmers is so clingy he hasn't left my bed except to use the potty and will only eat if my other half pours some food on the bed.

While I enjoy the company, he thinks it's play time all the time, and I have the scars to prove it.

Any way to "un-cling" a cat? The clinginess is endearing, but it's getting old quick, and I can't leave the bed much so I can't just go to another room.

I tried berating him, but nothing can tear him away. Any advice would be great.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Glad you survived and are getting better. :unsmith:

I've had heart problems, myself. Not fun.

Anyway, the only cure that I have found for that is ignoring them. Interacting with him in any way is taken as encouragement for more, so just pretend the little monster isn't there. He'll eventually get bored and go harass your partner or something.

On the other hand, it's nice he missed you. He may settle down after a while.

Ed: If he gets too frisky, a bop on the nose with a finger usually works to settle a cat down. It's what mother cats do to discipline their kittens, so they understand it instinctively, in most cases.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Glad to hear you're ok, I loved your cat thread. Supernintendo Chalmers is the best.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Ahaha..

...hahaha...

AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

Oh god what have we become... (thanks Funhilde!)

E: Gotta eat on the job

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 6, 2014

SeriousGreen
Nov 12, 2013
Is this the 'post pictures of your cat' thread?

Here's mine...

I love him and so should you!

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

SeriousGreen posted:

Here's mine...

So handsomes. I bet he's a sweet boy!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

criscodisco posted:

I spent the last few months in the hospital (criscodisco managed to have himself a great big ole heart attack), and my partner was there with me pretty much 24/7, going home long enough to fill food bowls and empty litter boxes, and I got home just a few days ago.

Now Mr. Chalmers is so clingy he hasn't left my bed except to use the potty and will only eat if my other half pours some food on the bed.

While I enjoy the company, he thinks it's play time all the time, and I have the scars to prove it.

Any way to "un-cling" a cat? The clinginess is endearing, but it's getting old quick, and I can't leave the bed much so I can't just go to another room.

I'm glad to hear you're recovering. The cat problem seems to be common though. The times my father was confined to bed (I was living with my parents while getting my house renovated) 2 of my cats kept him company 24/7. One of them, Oliver, pestered him constantly chasing his fingers about too. He ended up keeping his hands under the covers, it was easier than trying to re-train the drat cat ;)

DeusExMchna
Nov 9, 2013

2 thicc 2 exist
Lipstick Apathy

criscodisco posted:

I was in the hospital for a week having my gallbladder removed and when I came home, Octavian was just as clingy as Mr. Chalmers. He slept next to me, followed me everywhere. I was on light bed rest with minimal walking so when Id move to the living room to walk a little and sit on the couch he would follow me right at my feet and then snuggle up in the most uncomfortable ways but it was really endearing knowing that he missed me. Sam showed he missed me a little differently than most cats. He graced me with his presence by being in the same room as him and sitting at opposite ends of the room

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

criscodisco posted:

I'm glad you're back! I've missed your posts about Chalmers. Have you tried laser pointers, or maybe a cat toy on a string? Not very taxing on you, but enough to tire him out.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

SeriousGreen posted:

Here's mine...

I approve of this cat.

edit: now post more cat

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Visiting my mom. Turns out the family cat has gone from slightly chubby to comically obese since they started keeping her inside. :smith:

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
Toast's leg is mostly better after his run-in with a grocery bag, but he still limps a bit and avoids putting weight on it after jumping or heavy play. I don't want him to hurt, and that means I can't use a teaser or Da Bird to play with him or he'll start limping. I know he's bored. :(

He has one toy that he plays fetch with, but it's not enough to wear him out. I put his food in a toy dispenser, too, to try to keep him entertained. I'm not sure what else I can do.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

This is some serious argy-bargy!

criscodisco posted:

You're back! Yay! Sorry to hear about the heart attack but hopefully you're on the mend. Sounds like Chalmers missed you big time. I would also suggest a laser pointer toy, it should tire him out but not you.

Your thread was the best. Hope the rest of the brood is doing okay too.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

madpanda posted:

Does anyone know what cat bed style this is from one of the latest Maru updates?

From a few days ago, but here it is on japanese amazon.

Rah
Mar 9, 2006
Just thought I'd post an update about my kitten Sophie who had a fall last Sunday. I can't remember when I last posted..

On Monday she had to go back into the vets to check how she was and the vet was concerned about possible broken bones so wanted me to bring her in the next day for xrays. After the xrays were done I found out she had fractured both the bones in her front right leg right on the growth plate and would need surgery to put pins in it and then 6 weeks of strict cage rest (Apart from being allowed out to cuddle on my lap as long as she doesn't try move around)

Today she went in for the surgery and it all went really well. I picked her up around 3 hours ago and she seemed very alert and happy to see me. Literally 15 minutes after getting her home though, she decided to knock over her water bowl, soaking the dressing on her arm so had to take her back to get it changed again :( She doesn't enjoy being in the cage and keeps trying to get out and that's how the bowl got knocked over..

Anyway she's back home now and had some food. I was cooking some cod fillets for her (bland diet for the next few days) when the bowl got knocked over, but I finally managed to finish getting it cooked now and fed her.. The poor little girl was so hungry she ate 2 (small) bowls of it.

Once she's calmed down a bit I'll open the door and stroke her a little.. I don't plan to let her out for cuddles for the next few days just in case it does cause any problems with her recovery..

This is a (horrible quality) photo of my little girl.. It breaks my heart having her in there :( Also she now has a purple dressing instead of the blue one.. I bet the real reason she knocked over her bowl was because she wanted a nice girly colour instead hehe

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Guys, I need help! On 2/28 I got a new kitty, a 10 month old male who I rechristened David Cattenborough. He is a high-energy cat who showed no fear at being taken to his new home - no huddling, no hissing. The problem? He swats at everything. He swats at human legs as they walk by, he swats at backpacks sitting on the ground doing nothing, and of course the hand of anyone who tries to pet him. Is this his way of acclimating to a new home or do you think he'll always be like that? How do I make him stop hitting the gently caress out of everything.

He's also managed to take his collar off every time I put it on. I put him in a harness and he gnawed through it. Christ, what an rear end in a top hat. He's also destroyed most of the kitty toys I let him get his paws on.

Needless to say, he and Crissy are separated, but he tries to swat at her from under the door and when I have to open the door a crack so I can get in or out, he always tries (and sometimes manages) to bop Crissy on the nose.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sounds like he's trying to establish social dominance. Bop him on the nose when he gets too aggressive, as that puts you in the dominant role.

SeriousGreen
Nov 12, 2013
Two more pictures of my cat, TJ!

Here he is on top of the cat ladder I made for him in the back yard...

and here he is, watching me sadly from the window when I leave.

Edit: one more!

SeriousGreen fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 9, 2014

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Whenever my cats started misbehaving and swatting everything, I just grabbed them by the scruff until they calmed down.

After repeating a few (dozen) times, the dominance behavior ceased.

Rah
Mar 9, 2006

Xibanya posted:

Guys, I need help! On 2/28 I got a new kitty, a 10 month old male who I rechristened David Cattenborough. He is a high-energy cat who showed no fear at being taken to his new home - no huddling, no hissing. The problem? He swats at everything. He swats at human legs as they walk by, he swats at backpacks sitting on the ground doing nothing, and of course the hand of anyone who tries to pet him. Is this his way of acclimating to a new home or do you think he'll always be like that? How do I make him stop hitting the gently caress out of everything.

He's also managed to take his collar off every time I put it on. I put him in a harness and he gnawed through it. Christ, what an rear end in a top hat. He's also destroyed most of the kitty toys I let him get his paws on.

Needless to say, he and Crissy are separated, but he tries to swat at her from under the door and when I have to open the door a crack so I can get in or out, he always tries (and sometimes manages) to bop Crissy on the nose.

Makes me think of this game: http://www.catlateraldamage.com/

Halogen_Dusk
Jul 19, 2013

Xibanya posted:

I've got a 2-3 year old female called Cleo and she does the same sort of thing sometimes. She usually starts by hopping sideways towards you and then when you bend down she'll try and take a swipe. I find that if I play with her for a bit, using a stick with some string on it and then swoosh it across the room she'll go for that. I DON'T put my hands anywhere near her while I'm doing this. I think as far as she is concerned, "hands" are fair game and she likes to swat them. After playing with the stick for about 10 minutes, it's usually enough time for her to expend all that nervous energy. You've got to remember, 1st and foremost, they are hunters and they not only love trying to catch their prey, they also want to play with it. Burn off that excess energy and you'll have a much more relaxed cat.

Hope that helps :-)

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Deteriorata posted:

Sounds like he's trying to establish social dominance. Bop him on the nose when he gets too aggressive, as that puts you in the dominant role.

You're either a one-trick pony troll or a loving idiot. Haven't you pulled this "cat dominance" bullshit in another thread? :getout:

Xibanya posted:

Sounds like he's not quite comfortable in your house yet, especially since there's another cat. Make sure he has places to hide where he'll have enough space from people and cats that he doesn't feel the need to be defensive. Since he's still a kitten, he's probably also suffering from too much pent up energy. Spend time with him in a quiet room with some toys you can both interact with, like a Da Bird, to get him tired out and used to your presence.

Why do you have him in a collar or harness? If he is microchipped and insists on not wearing a collar, I can't see it as being anything but a waste of your time and money trying to keep him in one.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

He is chipped, I guess my fear is that if he somehow escapes, people will think he's a stray (he is missing a bit of an ear) and abduct him to make sick cat snuff films. But I guess those kinds of sick people would do that anyway :smith:

My baby! :byodood:

My other baby! :byodood:

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Xibanya posted:

He is chipped, I guess my fear is that if he somehow escapes, people will think he's a stray (he is missing a bit of an ear) and abduct him to make sick cat snuff films. But I guess those kinds of sick people would do that anyway :smith:

This is a cat that needs a tutu for maximum pretty princess powers.

E: for actual thoughts on your predicament and the whole collaring thing - I'd probably wait on the collar until he's more comfy with his surroundings. He's being enough of an rear end in a top hat without adding collar adjustment into the mix, especially if he's never worn one and is not a malleable kitten.

Maybe when your dude has had time to chill out a bit and gets used to his new surroundings and isn't so :black101: at the world he'll stop being a ragefest, or maybe you just have a berserker cat. It's too early to tell yet.

Re: "Disciplining the Alpha Feline" - bopping my cat on the nose just pisses him off. Scruffing him puts him into fight-or-flight mode and turns him into a whirling tornado of claws, teeth and terrified rage. So far, my most effective method has been to promptly plop him on the ground or in another room and ignore him. I've also noticed that Da Bird sessions help him work off his restlessness and he's less inclined to be an rear end in a top hat to us/our other cat.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 10, 2014

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Can anyone recommend a good litter box that is either completely enclosed, or has super high walls? One of our cats loves to just pee horizontally straight at the wall, so traditional litter boxes don't really work, and all the enclosed ones I've found are two pieces with the top piece overhanging the bottom such that if he were to pee on the wall it would all just leak out. My continued sanity will thank you!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Use a plastic storage container.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Xibanya posted:

My other baby! :byodood:

I would worry more about his jaw getting stuck on a collar or harness as he was trying to chew it off and causing serious injury. And if he's a collar escape artist, anyone who finds him will find him collarless anyway.

Cute doods, though. :)

baxxy
Feb 18, 2005

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -homer simpson

Klungar posted:

Can anyone recommend a good litter box that is either completely enclosed, or has super high walls? One of our cats loves to just pee horizontally straight at the wall, so traditional litter boxes don't really work, and all the enclosed ones I've found are two pieces with the top piece overhanging the bottom such that if he were to pee on the wall it would all just leak out. My continued sanity will thank you!

Look up the "Clever Cat" litter box. It has the opening on the top. Many people just use a big storage container and cut a hole in the lid for a cheapie DIY option.

For the aggressive cat stuff... my boyfriend's cat gets really hyper and goes into attack mode sometimes. We discovered she will play fetch, so we wear her out by throwing a toy down the stairs over and over. Eventually she just wanders off with it to "kill" by herself, and then afterward she's ready for a snuggle. It's all very individual to the cat.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Today David Cattenborough started making noises like a crying toddler. It was eerie. Foolishly I allowed him into the same room as me and Crissy (I have a 1 bedroom apartment, so he's either gonna be in the living room or the bedroom. Don't worry, each room is equipped with toys and a litter box!) He immediately jumped on Crissy and began swiping viciously at her face, and she was screaming like she was being murdered. With the result of my hand appearing to have been run through a meat grinder (still bleeding here) I picked David Cattenborough up and put him back in my bedroom. Now he's making toddler sobbing noises again and banging on the door, like some sort of horror monster. Yes, banging, not scratching.

I guess he's crying because he wants to play? Or because he thirsts for blood?

Edit: I'm playing with Borough and now Crissy is crying. Cats are assholes.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 11, 2014

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!
Does anybody have any stories of introducing new cats to a one cat household where the new/old cat wasn't a horrible hell-beast and was good to go after maybe 2-3 weeks of appropriate separation/socialization? Seems like I only read stories of mayhem and disappointment which is a bummer because I want to get another cat.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Totally Normal posted:

Does anybody have any stories of introducing new cats to a one cat household where the new/old cat wasn't a horrible hell-beast and was good to go after maybe 2-3 weeks of appropriate separation/socialization? Seems like I only read stories of mayhem and disappointment which is a bummer because I want to get another cat.

I've never had any problems with new/old cats not getting along, and I've probably had 8 or 10 come and go through the years. We currently have three and there's no problems at all. They're not best buds and hang together all day, but they don't fight at all and rarely even hiss.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Xibanya posted:

Today David Cattenborough started making noises like a crying toddler. It was eerie. Foolishly I allowed him into the same room as me and Crissy (I have a 1 bedroom apartment, so he's either gonna be in the living room or the bedroom. Don't worry, each room is equipped with toys and a litter box!) He immediately jumped on Crissy and began swiping viciously at her face, and she was screaming like she was being murdered. With the result of my hand appearing to have been run through a meat grinder (still bleeding here) I picked David Cattenborough up and put him back in my bedroom. Now he's making toddler sobbing noises again and banging on the door, like some sort of horror monster. Yes, banging, not scratching.

I guess he's crying because he wants to play? Or because he thirsts for blood?

Edit: I'm playing with Borough and now Crissy is crying. Cats are assholes.

Umm. My cats make yelling noises when they are alone and looking for people. He's probably going HELLO I AM ALONE AND I'M KEEN FOR COMPANY. I live in an old house with maybe an inch gap between the floor and the bottom of the doors, and when shut out in a different room my cats shove their paws under the the door and rattle it like angry ghosts while ballyhooing under the gap.

Catattack is not a surprise because you only just got him and he's still :black101:.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.
Our cat hasn't come home for about 5 days now, we're getting really worried as the longest time she stayed away from us before was 2 days. :( The last time I saw her she was being chased by a cat, I couldn't catch her sadly. Do any of you know if cats have "standard" places they go to when they are afraid? I fear her being chased by the other cat made her go far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

Totally Normal posted:

Mine was pretty darn easy. Fluffy was pretty much friendly to Twist right from the beginning even though Twist thought Fluffy was a kitten jungle gym. It's been 5 months and while they aren't the best of snuggle buddies they get along. I have a few posts in this thread about my experience.