Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

You, my good goon, have just triggered NOSTALGIA with that Striker pad.

I am now picturing my father, in his late 40s, playing King's Bounty until 3am with that controller. Music blaring.

Also, that little joystick nub is terrible. If you haven't discovered that yet, you will.

Well your Dad is indeed an rear end in a top hat! That striker pad has a passthrough to take the 3.5mm audio from the Model 1 Genesis and presents a 3.5mm female on the bottom of the pad itself! No reason for music blaring! It's why I picked it up. Who the hell comes up with a kick rear end feature like that and then fucks up every other function on the controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

midge posted:

Prepare for :retrogames:

You're moving in a month and you could afford all that? How the gently caress? If I came home with a pile like that I think my wife would divorce me, re-marry me and divorce me again just on principle.

cosmicjim posted:

I want to make money. I have ideas. I need someone with talent at producing/editing videos, but isn't creative at all. We will split the money.
serious post

I have the ideas and the talent/creativity (I think, at least enough to try) and don't even care so much about money, but I'm lacking in the time/energy department. Good editing is deceptively time-consuming to do, even if you have the equipment for it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

midge posted:

Who the hell comes up with a kick rear end feature like that and then fucks up every other function on the controller?

Not everybody can create the next Joycard Sansui, I guess.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Man, the PAL box art for RE4 Wii is so much better than the NA art:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Man, the PAL box art for RE4 Wii is so much better than the NA art:

Yeah it is! The Gamecube version was similarly great.

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

TheHoosier posted:

So my SCART cables for my Genesis arrived to complement my SCART-TO-YUV converter. After wiggling the cables for awhile I finally achieved a picture without a deep red hue. I'll probably have to adjust the green or blue output jack, but for now, a little elbow grease works.

With cables in hand and anticipation in my heart, I popped in Rocket Knight Adventures and it looks GORGEOUS!

I don't know how I was looking at it before. The colors are so much smoother and vibrant. I can't wait to try the rest of my games. I know converters are frowned upon, but I'm looking at RKA in 240p with :fap: scanlines :fap: and no fidelity loss.

Now to figure out how I'm going to get sound back...

SCART to YUV converters are absolutely fine on a decent CRT. It's not going to give you the billion issues you can get with cheap upscalers, really the only things I bother with out of a ton of scalers I have are the YUV converter and xrgb mini.

If I can't have scan lines, I don't bother.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I think I only wanted the 32x because of Doom.
It doesn't make any sense either because by that time I had the full PC version for ages.

In fact I still have the (non-functional) 3.5" disks which I installed on my PS/2 Model 70.
One day I'll get around to restoring it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PS. Love the cabin posted:

I think I only wanted the 32x because of Doom.
It doesn't make any sense either because by that time I had the full PC version for ages.

In fact I still have the (non-functional) 3.5" disks which I installed on my PS/2 Model 70.
One day I'll get around to restoring it.

Doom is probably my favorite game of all time and part of that is how much I love how it's handled on each platform. The slimmer ps1 version, the spooky n64 version, the 3do version with the loving awesome remixed music, the surprisingly good GBA version it's all great.

You can't ruin Doom. You can put it on a loving camera but it's still Doom. It is the ultimate platform independent game that's not a puzzle or text adventure.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

al-azad posted:

You can't ruin Doom. You can put it on a loving camera but it's still Doom. It is the ultimate platform independent game that's not a puzzle or text adventure.

I almost thought that I could've argued that it came out for the game.com, but it actually didn't -- Duke Nukem 3D did.

If DOOM came out for the game.com, THAT'S how you could ruin DOOM.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Hey guys I'd like to get your feedback on what looks best for the video project I mentioned earlier.

Fake Scanlines

No Fake Scanlines

I'm definitely leaning towards No Fake Scanlines because the fake scanlines just don't feel right for some reason. Probably because they're basically a lie.

Feedback appreciated!

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I'd go without, the difference is night and day.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

PS. Love the cabin posted:

I'd go without, the difference is night and day.

I agree with this, though I wish I could arrest you for that pun.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Peenmaster posted:

Hey guys I'd like to get your feedback on what looks best for the video project I mentioned earlier.

Fake Scanlines

No Fake Scanlines

I'm definitely leaning towards No Fake Scanlines because the fake scanlines just don't feel right for some reason. Probably because they're basically a lie.

Feedback appreciated!

No, especially if they're that fine. Plus with the way videos are compressed and auto-resized on devices nowadays, they probably won't even be seen half the time.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Interest check: has anyone been thinking about buying a Framemeister? Mine's been gathering dust since I bought a BVM so I'm looking to sell. I'm including all necessary cables and adapters as well as a SCART switch. Everything you need to start down the path of madness! You'll just have to hunt down the individual SCART cables for your consoles.

Please PM if interested.

Update! I've already got several interested parties. Feel free to throw your name in but be aware that a line has formed.

Update 2! SOLD!

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 6, 2014

Diet Sodium
Apr 29, 2009

McCracAttack posted:

Interest check: has anyone been thinking about buying a Framemeister? Mine's been gathering dust since I bought a BVM so I'm looking to sell. I'm including all necessary cables and adapters as well as a SCART switch. Everything you need to start down the path of madness! You'll just have to hunt down the individual SCART cables for your consoles.

Please PM if interested.

I think I pmed you. I was typing so fast I'm hoping I spelled your user name correctly. I really want that jank.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
strafefox has some nicely done videos, mostly sega related. no youtube personalities, just gameplay and some really good custom cg

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

midge posted:

Prepare for :retrogames:

Sweet Jesus, that is a hell of a score. Though the only way I can see you feasibly got all that at once, for a price that didn't leave you bankrupt and/or homeless, is that your "collector friend" is now in a shallow grave somewhere :ohdear:.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Well since I won't even need it by the time it gets here, anyone can call dibs on the supergun setup I made up. Turned out I already got access to some lovely cab to use my Neo Geo in while I wait for my own cab, don't even need the supergun setup anymore and it isn't even here

Latest version Arcadeforge MAK Strike
Arcade PSU w/ molex connector all prepared for the MAK Strike
Fully wired SCART cable

All you need is JAMMA boards and either a Neo Geo controller or a Tototek PS2 to Neo Geo adapter box.

If you're interested we can talk and I could pretty much just send it when it gets here i guess

e: Expect to pay around 130ish dollars

edit 2: lmao I just saw the LONG BOA RD on the cabinet, that's terrible

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 6, 2014

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Man, I think I hosed up real bad today. I saw a craigslist post for 20+ PS and PS2 games for $20 and jumped at it. Got there and they were loose discs. Some of the titles made me think it might be worth it, but I got home and the discs were all scratched. Now I am sad.

On the upside the World Heroes Anthology disc worked.

In better news, a friend is doing me a favor by trading me a single slot MVS for a model one Genesis.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

midge posted:

All in one go. Made friends with a local collector a few months back, he called me up last week "you like Sega right?" Picked it all up today, except the cab. I'm moving into a new place next month, it's getting delivered there.

The rage would almost be worth it. Almost.

Playing on the JVC with a remote pad, they all said I'd never amount to anything. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?

I too have and love that Genesis wireless controller. It really should be a piece of poo poo but works out OK for me. FYI, I've never heard of anyone having issues with the 32x and the X'eye, after 3 months of sitting in my X'eye my 32x started to buzz ever so quietly when turned on. I took it apart and all was well, still buzzed, but in a regular Model 2 no buzz. Not sure what's up, but thought I'd share. Also give me some of that poo poo.

-- Also here I am after midnight watching Game Sack on the old couch putting off productive work. I love the randomness of this show

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 6, 2014

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

I know I'm late but you want a seriously horrid licensed game [if no one mentioned it already]?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qedTvPcDtBI

What the gently caress

Some friends and I tried to play it. We lasted two minutes. The controls are loving awful, nothing make sense, and the sounds, the music...

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Nativity In Black posted:

Man, I think I hosed up real bad today. I saw a craigslist post for 20+ PS and PS2 games for $20 and jumped at it. Got there and they were loose discs. Some of the titles made me think it might be worth it, but I got home and the discs were all scratched. Now I am sad.

On the upside the World Heroes Anthology disc worked.

In better news, a friend is doing me a favor by trading me a single slot MVS for a model one Genesis.

:(:respek::(

I just bought a lot of NES games off a Craigslist seller and got them home before realizing they smelled like smoke. Hoping to god that if I seal them up in baggies with some baking powder for a while (like, days) that that'll take care of it.

Unrelated: a friend of mine recently told me the plot of the more recent Castlevania games. :stonklol: God drat dude, I just want to be a fighty man who bams monsters.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Holy crap midge. Just wow. And Bing the Noise :allears: buying a supergun and not even needing it. After all that research too.

cosmicjim posted:

I want to make money. I have ideas. I need someone with talent at producing/editing videos, but isn't creative at all. We will split the money.
serious post

How much money are you willing to put into this project? What kind of mic and video camera do you have now?

If your answer to either of these questions is "none" then you should reconsider.

I had an idea (highdea) for a youtube show called High Score where I could smoke weed and talk about a game in the context of being high as gently caress on whatever specific strain. Mostly colorful games, fun games, games good to play stoned. Probably not the best footage of myself to plaster all over youtube though and now I'm not even smoking. :sigh:

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 6, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

I had an idea (highdea) for a youtube show called High Score where I could smoke weed and talk about a game in the context of being high as gently caress on whatever specific strain. Mostly colorful games, fun games, games good to play stoned. Probably not the best footage of myself to plaster all over youtube though and now I'm not even smoking. :sigh:

I like this idea, especially the name.

The guy who streamed himself on the PS4 Playroom getting high with the little robots and talking about life was pretty entertaining.

Twitch comment: I have sex with she-males!
Host: [drags on his joint] That's messed up man, but you know, you gotta be who you be.
[Robots cheer]
[Host offers joint to one of the robots]

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cosmicjim posted:

serious post

I have audio/video editing experience AND experience being a fuckup on youtube.

The below will only be funny if you watch Mad Men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq8fKnbJCRY

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/shaq-fu-a-legend-reborn

This isn't the retro revival we need, but the one we deserve.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
That looks awesome and I hope it's a reality...but man if it's just for PC or cell phones forget that action. Still though, how can you not watch that video with that smile.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I'd be thrilled to have it on PC, which is what this is for which it clearly states on the page? :confused:

That being said I'm SO down.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Huh, so Shaq wasn't kidding when he said a new game was coming soon.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Caitlin posted:

I'd be thrilled to have it on PC, which is what this is for which it clearly states on the page? :confused:

That being said I'm SO down.

Don't get me wrong I love the crap out of PC gaming, but I'd love for it to somehow be playable on SNES/Genesis or something, whether a repro cart or just a rom. Regardless I'll be checking it out because of the SHAQ ATTACK.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I'm not sure I could live with myself if I went through life knowing that I didn't help Shaq Fu 2 become a reality.

midge posted:

Mint Virtual Boy in rental case

I remember those great rental cases, although I only saw the N64 and PSX ones. But it takes me back, they were pretty nice since not only were you renting a cool new system, but you got a feel like a secret agent transporting some kind of electronic device in a suitcase with perfectly-molded foam for it.

It'd be pretty nice to find some of those, since they'd be great for storage or traveling even now.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I am so jealous of your Candy Cab, midge. I really want one but I have literally no place in my house to put it even if I could afford it :gone:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Tyson Tomko posted:

Don't get me wrong I love the crap out of PC gaming, but I'd love for it to somehow be playable on SNES/Genesis or something, whether a repro cart or just a rom. Regardless I'll be checking it out because of the SHAQ ATTACK.

That's pretty much impossible considering it looks to be a fully 3D rendered brawler though? :confused:

Either way I'm stoked that this wasn't a hoax and I'm down for awesome or for a trainwreck. Really I just hope it's not mediocre, is that strange? :v:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Quidnose posted:

I am so jealous of your Candy Cab, midge. I really want one but I have literally no place in my house to put it even if I could afford it :gone:

There will always be room enough in your heart.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Quidnose posted:

Goon meet, my new place. Wipe your feet and hands please. I know what loving goons are like.

The candy cab was a complete shock. The guy just said "Oh, I'm getting rid of these too", take me into a room with 3 cabs. A 2 slot Neo Geo cab, a 4 slot big red and some wood paneled JAMMA bastard. I showed interest in the big red but I made a comment about size so then he showed me the candy cab.

As for the comment about :retrogames: . I've really slowed down my collecting these days, being in Canada is a killer for single unit purchases. So I just squirrel away cash ready for some local collector to drop out of the hobby. Some of that poo poo I'll never see in the wild again here; the X'eye and boxed Sega CD 1 for sure.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Agrias120 posted:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/shaq-fu-a-legend-reborn

This isn't the retro revival we need, but the one we deserve.

35,000 dollars and they won't even pay your travel expenses? Jesus.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011
Midge, if that boxed Model 2 Genesis turns out to be a VA2.0 or 2.3 revision w/ CXA1645 encoder, I am going to be very upset with you.
(Not really, I'd probably try to haggle a buy or something. :retrogames:)

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

:siren:WARNING THIS LINKS TO SOMETHING I MADE:siren:

So I went against normal goon behaviornand actually made something that required :effort:.

3 Minutes of Gameplay: Akumajo Special: Boku Dracula Kun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTscikKXZUY

It's still rendering so it only goes up to 360p at the moment.

A 1 second title followed by 3 minutes of gameplay of a videogame. No talking or Linkin Park.

I was talking about this yesterday and decided I would be a loser if I didn't do it.

It's unlisted because I want to get feedback from you, the target audience, so I can make improvements. I feel like there are some slow parts I could tighten up.

Please be harsh so I can figure out how to not suck at this. Thanks.

Edit: gently caress HOW IS IT 3:02? IT SHOULD ONLY BE 3:01. I hosed UP. (I'll fix that later)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Does anyone know of any good classic gaming conventions or expos in the southeast? Or maybe where I could go to find that sort of stuff out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

You just missed one.

http://www.jaxarcadex.com/

There are more though :

http://www.floridaape.org/ (FL)
http://www.southernfriedgameroomexpo.com/ (GA)
http://www.freeplayflorida.com/ (FL)
http://www.arcaderx.com/ (KY)

• Locked thread