Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Jan posted:

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree here as well.
Being able to survive a cancellation in the first place is something I would consider a luxury at a startup.

Shalinor posted:

N'thing this. That's a thing you do with really, really good friends that you have worked closely with before and trust implicitly. If you don't, you do not do it. Ever.
The bar for "trust" had better be pretty high too, i.e. they should have some idea of what it takes to get a business off the ground AND understand the market they're getting in to and what investors are looking for in it. Most of what it takes to get a startup going has nothing to do with creating the product.

It's a big gamble even if everything goes well, he should only be getting into it if he's getting a significant stake and he's okay with the possibility that it'll all fall apart because of funding BS and every dollar and minute put in turn out to be completely worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Disney layoffs are starting today.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Hey everyone, Inverted Axis is looking for a new Programmer to add to our team. This is not an entry-level position, we are looking for someone who has experience working on at least one game at a professional level.

http://www.invertedaxis.com/blog/employment/software-engineer/

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

xgalaxy posted:

Disney layoffs are starting today.

One quarter of its entire workforce, it seems. Quit making GDC so crowded, assholes! How are we supposed to compete with ex-disney?! :argh:

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Half of my studio is gone today.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Holy poo poo that's alot of people.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
just saw the Disney news, everyone here is pretty :stare:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Again, I'm not surprised. That's the Disney Interactive I grew up in, unfortunately. :(

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Wait what the gently caress?

quote:

In a major shift in strategy, Disney also decided to significantly scale back in-house development of games of all types. It will now rely much more on outside licensing
Didn't Disney do the opposite of this a couple of years ago? They stopped licensing stuff so much and started doing it in-house? That loving sucks.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
The internal email I got basically said they are going to be pulling out of all console games, except Infinity. They will license the IP's for console.
They are also pulling out of all Facebook games and going entirely mobile.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Akuma posted:

Didn't Disney do the opposite of this a couple of years ago? They stopped licensing stuff so much and started doing it in-house? That loving sucks.

Disney goes back and forth on in-house vs external development every couple of years. Back when they did Tron 2.0 and whatever around 2001, they had a large internal team, then they dropped them all and did them through THQ and other licensees for a years (a big part of why THQ got huge), then they cut contracts with THQ (one of the many troubles THQ faced, albeit the only one that didn't directly involve them making terrible decisions) to ramp up internal again.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Akuma posted:

It's in-line with their strategy for LucasArts.

I guess maybe they're becoming more afraid of the crazy budgets and uncertain returns that are driving a large portion of the industry.

Not that any rationale makes the reality of it suck less.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Sigma-X posted:

Thief just let go of a bunch of people - seems like not the full studio and more like just flushing people they probably brought on to finish the game:

http://kotaku.com/big-layoffs-at-thief-developer-eidos-montreal-1536315021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1QCBF3h_tM

This fuckin industry, man. :livintrope:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

This had been Disney's line since 2011ish and it's just a continuation of the Black Rock/Junction Point closures. If Infinity hadn't done as well, Avalanche would've been shuttered too, and we all knew it. The way they're doing the Star Wars games (license the big titles, do the mobile and web stuff internally) is their new model and Infinity is more the exception to the strategy.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sigma-X posted:

Disney goes back and forth on in-house vs external development every couple of years. Back when they did Tron 2.0 and whatever around 2001, they had a large internal team,

Tron 2.0 was external. Monolith did it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Gonna go to the Dark Souls 2 Launch Party in SF in around 30 mins. Wooo, should be fun.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Sigma-X posted:

Disney goes back and forth on in-house vs external development every couple of years. Back when they did Tron 2.0 and whatever around 2001, they had a large internal team, then they dropped them all and did them through THQ and other licensees for a years (a big part of why THQ got huge), then they cut contracts with THQ (one of the many troubles THQ faced, albeit the only one that didn't directly involve them making terrible decisions) to ramp up internal again.
LEGO does the same thing (we got canned as part of a "refocus on licensing" reorg). I'm going to guess every large corporation with game-licensable stuff waffles back and forth on internal or external dev.

They both have downsides, but when your management team changes every 3 years and there's no cultural memory of past failures, all anyone pushes for is "NOT what we're doing right now!".

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
99% sure I'm going to GDC, was there a meetup or something like that?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Shindragon posted:

Gonna go to the Dark Souls 2 Launch Party in SF in around 30 mins. Wooo, should be fun.
gently caress. If I didn't have plans already I'd be there. Glad to see NamcoBandai has SF representation, should keep my eyes peeled for future parties. Good luck in the raffle!

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.

Mega Shark posted:

Right here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3610374

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Did Disney infinity not do enough trade or something?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Mega Shark posted:

Get in mah partay

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3610374

Roil
May 4, 2010
So we're still looking for a bunch of different people at Gearbox:
http://gearboxsoftware.com/jobs

If you're one of the Disney/irrational folks or just a rad bro, reply with some info or email me at misc AT 1217design DOT com and ill see what I can do.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Sion posted:

Did Disney infinity not do enough trade or something?

Honestly, Infinity is the only reason "Disney Interactive" as a whole wasn't shut down.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Shalinor posted:

LEGO does the same thing (we got canned as part of a "refocus on licensing" reorg). I'm going to guess every large corporation with game-licensable stuff waffles back and forth on internal or external dev.

They both have downsides, but when your management team changes every 3 years and there's no cultural memory of past failures, all anyone pushes for is "NOT what we're doing right now!".

This is very true and very sad. :(
Worst case scenario when doing internal dev is you spend a lot of money on a failure. Worst case when doing outsourced dev is you spend a little money on a huge hit (and miss out on a bunch of profits).

It's kind of amazing that anybody funds big budget stuff at all anymore. Unless you are making a sequel to a huge franchise the business case is extremely weak. Not sure how to fix it. Hollywood hasn't figured it out either, so maybe it isn't fixable.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

mutata posted:

This had been Disney's line since 2011ish and it's just a continuation of the Black Rock/Junction Point closures. If Infinity hadn't done as well, Avalanche would've been shuttered too, and we all knew it. The way they're doing the Star Wars games (license the big titles, do the mobile and web stuff internally) is their new model and Infinity is more the exception to the strategy.

Incidentally, I hope SW: Attack Squadrons is not emblematic of the new model because ugh.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

So this is almost ridiculously last minute, but any of your indies wanting to go to GDC can get a little indie kiosk at the big Yetizen party- and I mean BIG, they're renting out the stadium- for only a hundred bucks:

Japheth "Honey Badger" Dillman posted:

Ok, so by now all of you have seen the link below. But what I want to know, is if there are any INDIE devs out there who would want to showcase their game at this event if I set up a special area for demo purposes?

All that I'd ask is for $100 (to cover the costs of printing some banners and renting tables for an "Indie Showcase" section) and I'd provide you with a table for demoing your own game. You'll be responsible for bringing any machinery, monitors, laptops, brochures, schwag, etc... and for keeping your belongings safe (I'll provide a private room for the indie devs to store stuff during the event, but I won't be liable legally). If I get more than say 8 responses, I'll do it. So let me know HERE and NOW if you want in, and I'll quickly get it sorted out.

This offer is exclusive to an indie and they must have something to demo via video and/or playable state.

Any interest? Let me know here. asap.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/att-ballpark-gdc-blowout-hosted-by-yetizen-tickets-10814637873

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.

Shalinor posted:

I still REALLY REALLY wish they didn't cancel Armada of the Damned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEfuZj8TjSE

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Aw, man! I didn't realize GDC had moved. I was gonna go but the West Coast is a lot more difficult for me.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The Dark Souls 2 launch party was great. I did get a little hammered but not compared to some other people. It was really great just seeing YOU DIED all over the screen over and over again from new players. I didn't get in part of the raffle because it was really early. Besides most of the stuff they gave away is stuff I already have.

Woo, only 4 more days til the game launches!

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Shindragon posted:

The Dark Souls 2 launch party was great. I did get a little hammered but not compared to some other people. It was really great just seeing YOU DIED all over the screen over and over again from new players. I didn't get in part of the raffle because it was really early. Besides most of the stuff they gave away is stuff I already have.

Yay for knowing a local place that breaks street dates!

... it always feels a little weird to me as a dev buying games before the street date. I don't know how I should feel...

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Brackhar posted:

... it always feels a little weird to me as a dev buying games before the street date. I don't know how I should feel...

Hey Brackhar do you wanna PM me the place; I haven't found a reliable one since Hypergame on Sawtelle closed.

THANKS.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Aerox posted:

Hey Brackhar do you wanna PM me the place; I haven't found a reliable one since Hypergame on Sawtelle closed.

THANKS.

Are you a corporate spy? :ninja:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Brackhar posted:

As exciting that would be, no. Just a very part-time thing-on-the-side games media person. (And this is not interesting enough to write an article about.)

If anyone is hiring for spy work though, let me know.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Shindragon posted:

Oof, if I'd found out about it like an hour earlier I would have tried to head to it. Unfortunately I ended up in a situation where I'd get there at 11 PM :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Brackhar posted:

I know that feeling. I mean I know people already bought the game, but it's pretty hilarious seeing how bad they are it. Here at work we watch some of streams just to laugh.

edit: Didn't know you were a cali goon Studio. But yeah it was pretty packed. I was stuck in the corner with one of my coworkers for a bit. An open bar will do that. :v:

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Shindragon posted:

I know that feeling. I mean I know people already bought the game, but it's pretty hilarious seeing how bad they are it. Here at work we watch some of streams just to laugh.

edit: Didn't know you were a cali goon Studio. But yeah it was pretty packed. I was stuck in the corner with one of my coworkers for a bit. An open bar will do that. :v:

I'm envious of your ability to work on DS2. :P

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

M3wThr33 posted:

I still REALLY REALLY wish they didn't cancel Armada of the Damned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEfuZj8TjSE

Alot of hunchbacks on that island. Though that would've been a sweet game. I miss games like Knights of the Old Republic.

Brackhar posted:

Isn't Riot going to upsize to like 1500 employees? I hope that's good news considering all these studios suddenly going tits up.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Aw, man! I didn't realize GDC had moved. I was gonna go but the West Coast is a lot more difficult for me.

GDC has been on the Best Coast for a while?

There's GDC Austin, which is more MMO focused, which is a separate conference. There's a handful of other GDCs as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Sigma-X posted:

GDC has been on the Best Coast for a while?

There's GDC Austin, which is more MMO focused, which is a separate conference. There's a handful of other GDCs as well.

GDC Austin turned into GDC Online, which turned into GDC Next which took place in Los Angeles back in November. :c00lbert: