Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Schroeder91 posted:

gently caress, I want a KLR.

If they made the KLR1200 or even the KLR1000, I would get one.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ElMaligno posted:

If they made the KLR1200 or even the KLR1000, I would get one.

Only if it was still a single cylinder. Just a monstrous fuckoff piston, chugging slow enough you could dance to it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phy posted:

Only if it was still a single cylinder. Just a monstrous fuckoff piston, chugging slow enough you could dance to it.

The ultimate thumper.

Well, there's that insane 2000cc home built thing, but that's just silly.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Phy posted:

KLR1200 piston IRL.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
My dad has an old two-stroke inboard engine in his boat, and while it's only 330cc and 2,5 hp, the max rpm is something like I'd imagine from a 1200cc thumper; 900 rpm.

Hand cranked, open flywheel, magneto ignition, it looks almost exactly like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8IOawnP0nE

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Did a bit of impromptu offroading today. Made the mistake of telling my GPS to avoid main roads to get where I was going, and it took me down a bunch of ever-tighter and muddier back roads until eventually I got to what I thought was a ford - the road dipped right down and there was water. it was only as I got to it I realised it was actually a pretty nasty landslip - the road itself had collapsed into a muddy puddle about 3 or four metres round and just as I thought "Ooh, this might be nasty" the back end (which I was just engine braking with) stepped right out, then gripped, almost high-siding me.

Pure dumb luck meant I did the right thing (power on, stand on pegs, pray to Baal) and splashed through, making it up the other side, albeit crossed-up and at 45 degrees to the road and heading right for a ditch - and then everything straightened up and I carried on my way. Admittedly "my way" was to pull over 10 yards down the road (next to the "WARNING DAMAGED ROAD" sign that was helpfully not on the side I'd come from), get off, smoke three cigarettes and try not to piss myself.

I took the motorway back.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

goddamnedtwisto posted:

almost high-siding me.

Pure dumb luck meant I did the right thing (power on, stand on pegs, pray to Baal)

Is there an approved way to get out of a low-side?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Wootcannon posted:

Is there an approved way to get out of a low-side?

Preemptively don't corner so hard?

edit: ride a DRZ and just never let go?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 18, 2014

Powerstone
May 30, 2010

What the fuck is this?
Now that's how you layer'dan, those carpet burns will buff out in no time.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Drifter posted:

Preemptively don't corner so hard?

edit: ride a DRZ and just never let go?

Poor little guy. That looked like a ruff crash.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Had my first close call today. Was riding home and I guess getting to the point where I've been riding my bike long enough that I'm comfortable, but not enough that I'm actually a good rider. Taxi decided to merge into me without signaling, saw him coming but didn't react until he was half-way in my lane, grabbed a hand-full of front brake and locked it up, but let go as soon as I realized what I'd done fortunately. Was pretty terrifying though and totally my fault for getting complacent. Bars jerked in my hands hard enough to hurt not sure how I didn't go down. Now that I'm home I wished I'd got his number or something to call and complain, I noticed him wandering into my lane and assumed since he was a Taxi he'd at least signal before trying to kill me. He didn't even react at all even though I finished the whole thing maybe a foot off his rear bumper.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You got lucky, taxi drivers are the worst.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Poodling around in traffic at 5 mph, I've had a fair number of taxi / limo drivers try to share my space. I avoid them like crazy at real driving speeds.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
I had so many close encounters with taxi drivers that i stopped counting. Scum of the earth if you ask me. I think the first thing they teach them in taxi driving school is that signaling is for other people.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Seriously. I try to avoid prejudice and stereotypes in my life but my exception is cabbies. They don't give a gently caress and drive like ignorant maniacs universally.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

nsaP posted:

Seriously. I try to avoid prejudice and stereotypes in my life but my exception is cabbies. They don't give a gently caress and drive like ignorant maniacs universally.

Agreed - it's the same the world over. Cunts, the loving lot of them.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

M. Night Skymall posted:

..assumed since he was a Taxi he'd at least signal before trying to kill me.

What is this planet you are you from where taxi drivers are not the shittiest drivers on the road? Taxi drivers are the absolute worst, hands down, as others have said. My mind boggles at the kind of completely careless and lazy poo poo they do constantly.

Glad to hear you got away unscathed, dude. But taxis are basically would-be manslaughterers, treat them accordingly.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Nthing the taxi drivers are poo poo. Idiots think they own the road. Worse than P platers (people who just got their license).

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Things that make me pay more attention to a car than normal;

It is a Taxi.
It is a interchangeable shopping trolley (the ones that all look like this from behind).
It is a Audi.
It is a BMW.
It is a luxury car (Jag, Bentley etc).
It is a chav mobile (Golf, Fiesta etc).
It is a soccer mom car.
It is a large 4x4 type thing.

Any of the above driven by old people.

And that's before I even start looking at how they're being driven!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Things that make me pay more attention to a car than normal;

It is a Taxi.
It is a interchangeable shopping trolley (the ones that all look like this from behind).
It is a Audi.
It is a BMW.
It is a luxury car (Jag, Bentley etc).
It is a chav mobile (Golf, Fiesta etc).
It is a soccer mom car.
It is a large 4x4 type thing.

Any of the above driven by old people.

And that's before I even start looking at how they're being driven!

So basically anything with four wheels, got it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

You forgot a ratty white workvan.

e. Also, I read that Volvos strike more motorcyclists (in Europe, in the mid-90s at least).

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
And buses too. Basically everything is trying to kill you, it's just some are more active about it than others!

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Was in a hurry last night to get to the dealership before they closed to get a new oil filter, and hosed up my foot. I was following a car too close, maybe 10 feet back, and the car in front of then slammed on their brakes, and so did they. Went to swerve out of the way, truck on my right so I couldn't get over far, and suicide lane on the left, but a car was turning into it and I figured I'd hit them. To avoid becoming One With the Car I swerve to the right, narrowly missing the car, but my left leg clips it. Legs fine, foots hosed up. I think I essentially kicked the bumper, with the angle it hit. I did not crash. Pulled over in a side street for 15 minutes then rode home.

I did have boots on, but working boots. Just leather and hard toes. The toes kinda bent back and cut the top of my foot, which while minor was a little unnerving that if it was harder I could've lost my toes. Doc said chipping, possible ligament damage, but no full on breaks.

I pulled over, but the car didn't show up so I don't know if they're even aware it what happened. Lesson learned: be patient and take my loving time.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Rode home for work today. Usually I'll do some sort of pre check, check tires, brake fluid level, chain. Just a quick visual.

Today I didn't, and as I was riding home, the front felt super mushy, and the suspension felt really soft. I pulled over convinced that the front tire had lost some pressure, checked it over twice, and decided to limp the 6 miles back home, seeing as how I'd never go over 30.

I pull into my garage and lo and behold, the rear tire had just enough pressure to keep the rims off of the ground, and that was about it.

Man, that could have been bad.

Also, I can't find any hole in the tire, or anything that would cause a puncture.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Today I almost ran into the back of a suddenly-stopped Mercedes as I was rubbernecking at a Hawk GT parked on a side street. I stopped with about four feet to spare, which is great, because I'd hate to have to explain that I ran into the back of someone's car because I was fascinated by the little midpowered late 80s standard over there.

I think the solution will have to be to buy one, so that the distraction is gone.

and maybe keep my head screwed in straight and quit being distracted by things on the side of the road

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Hell of a butt clencher today.

Was going down 315 S through Columbus today. 315 rush hour means stop and go, but reaaaalllly fast stop and go. Slam on the brakes, floor it, and repeat. It throws me off with how fast it gets after a period of stopping as I'm totally not used to traffic like that at all. So after a long stop, traffic starts moving. I'm going 35-40 for about 10 seconds and look off to my right at some girl in a Miata like a dumbass. I look ahead and this van is stopped in my lane. I'm maybe 20 feet away when I see this.

I panic and react poorly. I lock up the rear and it starts to get ahead of me as I'm also turning to get on the shoulder around the van. I start to low side as the bike increases angle. I jutted out my foot and kicked it back up and stop maybe two feet behind the van. Almost turned it into a high side.

It is downright amazing how many thoughts go through your head in the 2 seconds it takes for something like that to happen. I went from my poor reaction and braking, to thinking how to position my body to slam against the van, to thinking of my insurance, and thinking that it's gonna suck to wreck my bike.

There was so much bullshit and too many mistakes that led up to that. I obviously need to be especially aware in traffic situations like that. Or avoid them altogether since even after that it was difficult to not rear end every random rear end in a top hat slamming on their brakes.

Despite feeling comfortable with threshold braking I need to work on it and maintain skill in it. Obstacle avoidance would have been the best move in that situation with the clear and empty shoulder and I need to break myself of instinctively grabbing the brake.

The dude in the van cussed up a storm. The next 15 minutes were very shameful and rough with the adrenaline.

Also gonna get collision coverage. I'm way too confident in the belief that I won't be involved in an at fault accident and that's dumb as poo poo.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

What the hell is going on for people to be driving like that? God drat.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Shimrod posted:

What the hell is going on for people to be driving like that? God drat.

Columbus is really bad with zipper exchanges. The effects of one during rush hour stretch back for miles.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 12, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

blackmanjew posted:

I pull into my garage and lo and behold, the rear tire had just enough pressure to keep the rims off of the ground, and that was about it.

Man, that could have been bad.

Also, I can't find any hole in the tire, or anything that would cause a puncture.

I had something similar happen once and the cause turned out to be the valve stem cracking (dry rotting, really) right where it came out of the wheel.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Snowdens Secret posted:

I had something similar happen once and the cause turned out to be the valve stem cracking (dry rotting, really) right where it came out of the wheel.

Tire (and the bike for that matter) is 2000 miles old, which is why I'm so confused

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

blackmanjew posted:

Tire (and the bike for that matter) is 2000 miles old, which is why I'm so confused

Not the mileage, it's the years. If the tire's been sitting on a shelf for a couple years, it may be junk in spite of the lack of miles. Not sure how you can check this.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Tire should have a date code on it.

Example

Week 25, 2006

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Has it been cold where you live recently? Winter is hell on tire pressures - the cold makes everything shrink, often causing slow leaks that don't exist during warmer periods.

When was the last time you'd checked your tire pressures with a gauge? When I first got my bike out to ride after not being ridden for roughly two months, the tires looked the same, but they were around 20-25 PSI low. You can't rely on visual checks alone.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

the cold makes everything shrink

Tell me about it.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
So is lift oversteer still something on a bike or did something else happen to me today?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It's definitely a thing. Race bikes have slipper clutches to lessen the impact of engine braking. What happened?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

tbb9 posted:

So is lift oversteer still something on a bike or did something else happen to me today?

Shut off the throttle, engine braking transfers the weight forward, loads up the front, if the front end doesn't slide, oftentimes the back end will unload enough to lose traction and start to come around.

So yeah, it's a thing.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Had a dumbass moment the other day, doing a u turn and had a hand full of front brake, had to quickly change where I was going, looked down to check out the road quality because it was super dodgy and ... then my bike took a nap. Doh. Super retarded. Only thing that was damaged was my ego, was moving at snail pace when it happened.

:(

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shimrod posted:

Had a dumbass moment the other day, doing a u turn and had a hand full of front brake, had to quickly change where I was going, looked down to check out the road quality because it was super dodgy and ... then my bike took a nap. Doh. Super retarded. Only thing that was damaged was my ego, was moving at snail pace when it happened.

:(

I don't think I've ever had my hand on the brake doing a u-turn. How does that work? It's not like you'd be able to stop without falling over in horrible ways or anything. Is it a weird comfort/safety blanket thing?

DId you just not look into the turn or something and get surprised by a cat pooping out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Drifter posted:

I don't think I've ever had my hand on the brake doing a u-turn. How does that work? It's not like you'd be able to stop without falling over in horrible ways or anything. Is it a weird comfort/safety blanket thing?

DId you just not look into the turn or something and get surprised by a cat pooping out?

Honestly have no idea why my hand was there, it was a truly stupid moment. Whenever I'm at that speed if I'm touching any brake its the rear. I was intending to go into the driveway with the two other blokes I was riding with but there was no room so I quickly decided to do the u turn, that was as far as I got. Was just dumb :/

• Locked thread