Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Metal Loaf posted:

Ugh.

I need to submit my dissertation proposal that day. :(
I have a poster presentation on trilobites the same day too so I feel ya man :(:hf::(

Anyway that trailer makes Winter Soldier look better and better, but yeah the cinematography looks weird in parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gavok posted:

The novelization, which I'm sure was based on the full version of the movie before they cut out like a half hour, made it seem like the butler was more than likely a figment of Harry's imagination at times, much like his father showing up to yell at him. That made that scene far more acceptable in my eyes.

The book really made the movie look a lot better than what we got.

If that's the best butler Harry's imagination can come up with, man.

Captain America looks like it'll be amazing.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mr. Maltose posted:

The one scene from the book that I wish made it into the movie was the bit where Sandman becomes this super baroque castle in the park for his daughter. Well, that and what I hope was the oddest out of left field What If reference.

That partly did, actually. It's in a deleted scene where Brock plots with him.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

zoux posted:

Isn't just his Secret Avengers costume?

I guess it is but it is still nice it was used in the movie.

On another note, I watched the Ang Lee Hulk movie last night for the first time since probably 2003 or 2004. I thought it was a good film but it really doesn't fit in with what we know as a superhero film nowadays. I'm only a casual Hulk comic reader so I don't know how much of the stuff about his father is based on the comics but I found it to be an interesting take on the character.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 7, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

People hate on the CGI in that movie but I think it's pretty good for its time, the colors are just a bit too bright.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

notthegoatseguy posted:

I guess it is but it is still nice it was used in the movie.

On another note, I watched the Ang Lee Hulk movie last night for the first time since probably 2003 or 2004. I thought it was a good film but it really doesn't fit in with what we know as a superhero film nowadays. I'm only a casual Hulk comic reader so I don't know how much of the stuff about his father is based on the comics but I found it to be an interesting take on the character.

I would say that, in a lot of ways much like The Incredible Hulk, that's because it isn't a superhero film. It's a Giant Monster Movie. I'm still really hoping that Marvel surprises us with another Hulk movie at some point, and they actually give him the superhero treatment.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm still really hoping that Marvel surprises us with another Hulk movie at some point, and they actually give him the superhero treatment.

But Hulk isn't a superhero. He's had phases where he kinda behaves like one, and he's one in certain team books, but it's really not the appeal or core of the character.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm only a casual Hulk comic reader so I don't know how much of the stuff about his father is based on the comics but I found it to be an interesting take on the character.

Bits and pieces. Banner's dad is an abusive poo poo that does testing on nuclear power and gets involved in an explosion due to his drinking, but it doesn't do any real harm to him. He thinks it's messed him up on a genetic level though, and he decides not to have kids...whoops. Because of his belief that his son is hosed up in some crazily indescribable way he abuses little Banner, and also his wife for...you know, actually acting like a mother. It's somewhat the same as the movie I guess, except for the fact that in the comics Bruce beats his father to death well before he becomes the Hulk. There's a reason he becomes the Hulk, and it has absolutely nothing to do with a gamma explosion. Bruce Banner was an unstoppable rage monster well before he got super powers, he was just *really* good at hiding it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's kind of interesting that Bruce Banner basically has a problem like a lot of people where the slightest thing can send him into an unholy rage, but instead of just screaming and maybe throwing punches he turns into the Hulk. It'd be cool to see another "real life" kind of series like Powerless, where the Hulk is just a dude you don't want to piss off because he has severe anger issues that needs treatment.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
The Sin City 2 trailer just reminded me that they decided not to adapt Family Values and instead went for some new thing which kind of made me sad. Family Values would have been a blast to see acted out.

Also who would have guessed that the new 300 movie manages to be both a super conservative military wet dream and also the maybe gayest movie ever come out?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Lurdiak posted:

But Hulk isn't a superhero. He's had phases where he kinda behaves like one, and he's one in certain team books, but it's really not the appeal or core of the character.

I'm aware, I wasn't complaining that his past movies were Giant Monster movies or anything. I just think a Hulk: Superhero flick would be interesting, and seems like a logical way to go from his treatment in Avengers. Even then I think you'd end up with something that was somewhere between the two.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Boogaleeboo posted:

Bits and pieces. Banner's dad is an abusive poo poo that does testing on nuclear power and gets involved in an explosion due to his drinking, but it doesn't do any real harm to him. He thinks it's messed him up on a genetic level though, and he decides not to have kids...whoops. Because of his belief that his son is hosed up in some crazily indescribable way he abuses little Banner, and also his wife for...you know, actually acting like a mother. It's somewhat the same as the movie I guess, except for the fact that in the comics Bruce beats his father to death well before he becomes the Hulk. There's a reason he becomes the Hulk, and it has absolutely nothing to do with a gamma explosion. Bruce Banner was an unstoppable rage monster well before he got super powers, he was just *really* good at hiding it.

Also, him being an abusive rage monster even before the Hulk ties in with Betty; Bruce is just as terrible as Thaddeus which is why Betty is drawn to him, the whole cycle of abuse thing. He would have ended up an abuser if the accident hadn't sent him down a different path.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

People hate on the CGI in that movie but I think it's pretty good for its time, the colors are just a bit too bright.

It's more a cinematography issue than a CGI one.

The Avengers movie's Hulk CGI isn't *that* much better, other than in the facial animations department, but it's filmed more skillfully most (if not all) of the time.

I thought the Lee/Bana movie was better than the Norton movie in that regard, actually. Nothing brings out all the inadequacies in your giant green dude computer model like having it rumble slowly and straightforwardly across a day-lit college campus, fighting a strangely cumbersome Army company and experiencing sudden-onset bouts of slo-mo. Lee/Bana's hulk was often more mobile. Did also suffer from some bad props/set decisions. Like, the tanks in the clunky desert tankfight look at least as bad as the Hulk model at its worst.

Not saying anything new here, just reiterating that those complaints tended to be about more than the CGI.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 8, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I like the Norton Hulk movie more than most people but that Hulk model looked like loving poo poo. Just an awful design.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

He would have ended up an abuser if the accident hadn't sent him down a different path.

not gonna lie, feel somewhat lovely saying this, but i had a brief image of a pissed hulk in a wife beater with fred tatasciore's voice :downswords:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The thing that I liked about Nortons Hulk over Lee's is that the Hulk had veins and bumps and such, while Lee's looked smooth and plastic-like.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I'll never forget when Lee's Hulk went for the comic style scene transitions at certain points that just looked terrible; I recall one point where Ross flattens out to 2d and groaning in the theatre. I still think Absorbing Dad was a neat idea, though.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Madkal posted:

The thing that I liked about Nortons Hulk over Lee's is that the Hulk had veins and bumps and such, while Lee's looked smooth and plastic-like.

I wouldn't say plastic like. I hate the Norton Hulk because he looks very 90s extreme while Lee's Hulk on the other hand feel's more angular and blocky. More like the Kirby inspired Frankenstein's monster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sanschel posted:

I'll never forget when Lee's Hulk went for the comic style scene transitions at certain points that just looked terrible; I recall one point where Ross flattens out to 2d and groaning in the theatre. I still think Absorbing Dad was a neat idea, though.

The terrible comic book transitions are one of the biggest reasons I can't enjoy that film. I get why they were done. They just look awful. They are distracting and badly done and basically everything you shouldn't be doing with that kind of stylizing.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Lee's Hulk looks like a giant green baby which makes perfect sense for that movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Waterhaul posted:

I wouldn't say plastic like. I hate the Norton Hulk because he looks very 90s extreme while Lee's Hulk on the other hand feel's more angular and blocky. More like the Kirby inspired Frankenstein's monster.

I liked the Norton design because it seemed like they were going for more of an Ernie Chan Hulk in contrast to Baba's Hulk who didn't seem very brutish. Kirby's Hulk was pretty ugly.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Lee's hulk bothered me because he looks kind of tubby. Y'know? He's got baby fat in his face and neck.
I always imagine the hulk as being pure muscle from top to bottom. Nortonhulk at least had this down.

But yeah, ruffalulk is definitely the best looking hulk. I honestly think it's because he has the right face for it, and less to do with the CG effects. His skull just looks good on a giant green body.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The terrible comic book transitions are one of the biggest reasons I can't enjoy that film. I get why they were done. They just look awful. They are distracting and badly done and basically everything you shouldn't be doing with that kind of stylizing.

The film also uses that one "comic book" font which is never, to my knowledge, actually used in modern comic books.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The first time I saw Ang Lee's Hulk, I saw it in theatres and loved it. And then I saw it later and it was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen. I saw it again later and I'd mellowed out, I could enjoy parts, but there was a lot of lovely stuff in there. I remember the last fight being so dark I couldn't see anything besides a couple flashes of light here and there, the comic style panel thing, while cool at some points, was super lovely in others, and the movie kinda lost where it was trying to go about halfway through.

On the other hand it has hulked out lap dogs, and that's pretty awesome.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

I hate the Norton Hulk because he looks very 90s extreme

Yeah he looks swampy and overly veiny and like Liefeld drew his musculature. The Bruce Lee build and over the top skin textures are just gross and don't really make him look like Hulk to me. I get what they were going for but it just looks terrible to me. Avengers Hulk mostly works because they got his face right, although the apelike movements were a bit jarring at times.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!
I was talking with the guy at my comic shop who I normaly wishlist MCU movies with, and we were talking about Dr Strange. Unlike Tony Stark, Strange is a straight up arrogant dick you should not like at the start of the movie. Tony is a dick, but a loveable roguish dick. I'd also hope they would include some of the other magic based heroes like Dr Vodoo and Nico.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Tony is a dick, but a loveable roguish dick.

Dude, I was cheering when he got blown up by his own missile. He might have been charismatic, but opening Tony was plenty detestable.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You can't open up a movie with a guy who is a straight up rear end in a top hat though, so it would probably be best to start as Dr. Strange, then flash back to rear end in a top hat origins that have something to do with the current plot, then back to the adventure at hand.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, copping off Batman Begins wouldn't be too bad an idea for Strange. Start with him as not yet the Sorcerer Supreme, but a sad drunk desperately searching for a cure for his hands. Have some flashbacks to fill in the blanks, but start from the place of desperation rather than privilege.

But yeah, gently caress Tony. Strange is a dick, but Tony is a monster. Honestly, the films have never really dealt with his sins in any satisfactory way. Tony gets to decide to be a better person in a way that most people don't. Iron Man 2 has a ton of problems, but Vanko's beef against the Starks being illegitimate is the biggest bullshit.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
It was hand waved away as Vanko Sr being in it for the money rather than betterment of mankind.

Thing is, in the real world, people like Tony don't get punished for their sins. Hell, they get rewarded. Tony before his capture is still charismatic, and charming and it makes people forget that he makes billions by blowing the poo poo out of people who disagree with America.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

twistedmentat posted:

It was hand waved away as Vanko Sr being in it for the money rather than betterment of mankind.

And that's why Iron Man 2 is the worst movie Marvel's put out. That movie pulls its punches like nothing else.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well he did stop the production of all his weapons tech in the first movie and went to energy research. I don't really remember the third movie, but I don't think he ever went back on that. His company tried to force him out in the second movie when he was being basically suicidal, but that was because he was dying. Hell, the movie basically shows that he's trying to redeem himself by stopping production on weapons, and he feels the only person he can trust is himself with his only new weapon, the suits.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation

Mr. Maltose posted:

And that's why Iron Man 2 is the worst movie Marvel's put out. That movie pulls its punches like nothing else.

As if it would have been hard to say "Vanko gave the plans to the soviets and redefected, but because they couldn't trust him, they sent him to Siberia". That's a much better reason.

The sad thing is Iron Man 2 has a lot of really good stuff, but its weighted down by a lot of really poor plot decisions.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

IUG posted:

Well he did stop the production of all his weapons tech in the first movie and went to energy research. I don't really remember the third movie, but I don't think he ever went back on that. His company tried to force him out in the second movie when he was being basically suicidal, but that was because he was dying. Hell, the movie basically shows that he's trying to redeem himself by stopping production on weapons, and he feels the only person he can trust is himself with his only new weapon, the suits.
I recognize that, but once again, it's an incredible position of privilege. Stark doesn't have to answer to anyone. He decides to be good. There is no call for justice. He's humbled and gets his comeuppance, but it's by even worse men than himself. He is allowed to find his own calling for justice instead of ever really being made to answer for his sins.

And I'm not saying that's unrealistic, but it does potentially make someone like Vanko raising his hand and saying, "Yeah, it's great you're a good person and all, but that doesn't change all this other poo poo you, your father, and your company did" interesting. Iron Man 2 honestly speaks to a lot of the poo poo I'm saying. There are the seeds of a story that is critical of the first film's redemption arc and of Tony, but nothing is really well executed or really goes all the way.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 9, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I loved 3, but it also has that issue. The movie starts with Tony saying he created his own personal demons on that night, but the things he does are really hard for the audience to find offensive, and they're done in a way that makes him look like a super suave cool guy, and this is before he was put on a path to being a genuinely good man.

Later in the movie, a woman who did less wrong than he did in the first film dies because she loves him.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Lurdiak posted:

Later in the movie, a woman who did less wrong than he did in the first film dies because she loves him.

I don't know about that. Weapons manufacturers may not be Good People, but not a lot of them are complicit in kidnapppings. And it's not that she loved him, but more that she was having a crisis of conscience and tried to go about solving it the wrong way.

I just watched Iron Man 3 like half an hour ago.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

greatn posted:

You can't open up a movie with a guy who is a straight up rear end in a top hat though, so it would probably be best to start as Dr. Strange, then flash back to rear end in a top hat origins that have something to do with the current plot, then back to the adventure at hand.

You can definitely have him be a straight-up rear end in a top hat from the start as long as he's an entertaining rear end in a top hat. That's what makes all the difference.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lobok posted:

You can definitely have him be a straight-up rear end in a top hat from the start as long as he's an entertaining rear end in a top hat. That's what makes all the difference.

The thin line between douchebag and charmer.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ang Lee's Hulk is one of the best superhero movies made if not the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I just saw this, so I'm probably really late to the party discussing it, but they've cast someone for Baron von Strucker in Avengers 2, as well as contracted him for multiple movies in the MCU. I wonder if thats what The Winter Soldier's after-credit-sequence is going to start dropping hints for.

• Locked thread