Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sith Fiend
Aug 5, 2003
I will not go quietly into the night.
Decided to give EQ a whirl again after playing it a bunch back in the PoP era. I'm running around Test as an SK named Jenky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky_Grid
Jul 21, 2007

Node posted:

They only give cosmetic stuff out. Whoever thought up the idea of guide events giving out ornaments instead of star rubies was a genius.

I still maintain that they should give out one artifact per server, once per year, that would be an item 5 to 10% better than current raid gear. Just make four items for the four archetypes so a tank doesn't get a caster item. I miss the days of artifacts.

I still remember being a level 25 bard in awe of seeing the Mayong Mistmoore quest in vanilla EQ, the one where his chosen got a unique title at a time when those were unheard of.

Sith Fiend posted:

Decided to give EQ a whirl again after playing it a bunch back in the PoP era. I'm running around Test as an SK named Jenky.

I did the same a few days ago. I've had a blast so far thanks to Midnight City/Passenger. Coming back to EQ after so long ago has a bit overwhelming, especially choosing to roll a shadow knight, as my old main was a cleric. Destroying old zones has never been so much fun though! Level 80 in about an hour or so due to some crazy PLing, and a big chunk out of my epic 1.5/2 out of the way so far. It almost feels as if I've already accomplished more In 3 days than I did in 5 years of regularly playing EQ :emo:

I'll keep an eye out for you.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Big bags are back on the SC, there were two goons who told me they had SC points saved and wanted some but I don't remember who. 2500SC for a 36 slot that's heirloom, so you can testcopy it into infinite amounts.

Bucky_Grid posted:

I did the same a few days ago. I've had a blast so far thanks to Midnight City/Passenger.

:hfive:

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I've also just got back into this. Made my old rogue, Jimmithye, running around on Test. Don't have a lot of time to play, but maybe see you guys on the weekends.

gnomers
Nov 14, 2004
Well I am back again on Test. Shnaggle is back standing still in the guild lobby. I am level 85 now and for once I would really like to get a toon to max level in EQ. Playing off and on since 2001 my highest is Shnaggle. So if anyone is around my level send me a tell to group. Or if you want to mess around in the old world I am down for that as well.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Now's the time to get your awful AA ideas in to get more poo poo you gotta click for 0.05% increase in healing/DPS/tanking

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

darkhand posted:

Now's the time to get your awful AA ideas in to get more poo poo you gotta click for 0.05% increase in healing/DPS/tanking

There's maybe 30 people max that devs are listening to at all about new spells/AAs/abilities. 99% of what gets posted gets completely ignored.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Well yeah but there's only like 40 people playing so your chances are pretty good these days

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

So since the safehouse seems abandoned where do you go for rogue stuff these days? Or better yet what stats should mine be going for, Hdex? AC/Hdex?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I burned through 44in about ten minutes in the Great Divide. I was fighting yellow Elites with my merc, and drat!!! I dinged into 44 on the first kill and then the adds started...when we picked up two yellow adds, I was able to dupe them into attacking my merc while I /assisted on the one. Then I got a named on me, and as soon as I saw that, I ran my SoWed rear end off. I got about 200 ft away and noticed that I wasn't getting hit. Ends up the named was only light blue, and I was able to kill him alone (poison proc'ed twice to help). As I looted him, the merc picked up another yellow and a even con. Getting whaled on by several mobs, that regen is INSANE. They were having an effect, though, so I assisted again with poison proc'ing away and some good crit backstabs. As she dropped below 15%, I got ready again to run away for the zone when I dinged in to 45. If you gain a lvl and keep fighting, your merc cons blue. If youding twice on the same hunt without camping/zoning, they ding immediately into an even con. At which point her health instantly jumped from 11% to 100%! So I stuck around and was able to Evade back to her, and healed myself with my Mrylokar BP.

Just a thing that as a rogue, I never would see. Quickest pass through a lvl I had ever experienced. :-)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

DerekSmartymans posted:

I burned through 44in about ten minutes in the Great Divide. I was fighting yellow Elites with my merc, and drat!!! I dinged into 44 on the first kill and then the adds started...when we picked up two yellow adds, I was able to dupe them into attacking my merc while I /assisted on the one. Then I got a named on me, and as soon as I saw that, I ran my SoWed rear end off. I got about 200 ft away and noticed that I wasn't getting hit. Ends up the named was only light blue, and I was able to kill him alone (poison proc'ed twice to help). As I looted him, the merc picked up another yellow and a even con. Getting whaled on by several mobs, that regen is INSANE. They were having an effect, though, so I assisted again with poison proc'ing away and some good crit backstabs. As she dropped below 15%, I got ready again to run away for the zone when I dinged in to 45. If you gain a lvl and keep fighting, your merc cons blue. If youding twice on the same hunt without camping/zoning, they ding immediately into an even con. At which point her health instantly jumped from 11% to 100%! So I stuck around and was able to Evade back to her, and healed myself with my Mrylokar BP.

Just a thing that as a rogue, I never would see. Quickest pass through a lvl I had ever experienced. :-)

This is the :shobon:est post

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Can't wait to come back in boredom in a few months and have five new buttons to fit on my beastlord's bars!

And two will be spam buttons.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Stanos posted:

Can't wait to come back in boredom in a few months and have five new buttons to fit on my beastlord's bars!

And two will be spam buttons.

Are they making sweeping changes or something, give links

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Midnight City posted:

So since the safehouse seems abandoned where do you go for rogue stuff these days? Or better yet what stats should mine be going for, Hdex? AC/Hdex?

Go for whatever Defiant armor is lvl appropriate. You'll max out your stats until you start picking up armor with heroic limit. My augs are all AC/hps, though. I am about to ding 46 in Dreadlands killing wandering trash around the castle.

As to the other, I have been still going to the Safehouse. It still gets a few posts, but the old posts from after Planes of Power are still new to me. Still using allakazham and alla'kabor for old school maps.

To you vets: where can I go for macro help? I do not remember all my old tricks, and I could use a tutorial!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Midnight City posted:

Hdex. You can pick up AC at the same time.

Hstr is basically terrible because it's a flat damage bonus, while the extra crits from Hdex have a bigger average payoff. And Hdex ups survivability from the +2% in avoidance skills.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

All heroic stats are terrible. Grab whatever has the highest AC.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

DerekSmartymans posted:

To you vets: where can I go for macro help? I do not remember all my old tricks, and I could use a tutorial!
My EQ website :)

http://www.zlizeq.com/Game_Mechanics-Macros

and

http://www.zlizeq.com/Reference_and_Technical-Slash_Commands (descriptions incomplete)

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Is there a good UI mod that scales things a bit larger? I'm using a relatively high DPI monitor (27” 2560x1440) and a lot of things (particularly text) are too small to be comfortable.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

I would try running a lower resolution for the game then maximize the window. I know a lot of the fonts in the UI can be changed to be bigger in the xml, but they'd have to scale the containers too. Most custom UIs are dogshit though.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Devor posted:

Are they making sweeping changes or something, give links

No I was talking about darkhand/wiji's post on AA recommendations. While the things BSTs got were EXTREMELY useful, it's still button bloat. I can already rationalize drat near 6 bars if I wasn't slamming macros.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Thanks for these! Very helpful!

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Thanks for UI update :)

Just logged in for first raid in like 3 months and I have like 25 tell windows open...it's about 50/50 on HELL YEAH FINALLY and gently caress YOU YOU rear end in a top hat, so it looks like nothing's changed on Test :allears:

Fake edit- all the gently caress yous are from officers so I'm doing it right :smug:

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Ffalin got ultra mad like 5 minutes after you logged. He was mad about people not running to evantil and he insisted on not putting a banner down. I put one down and he logged so idk if he's mad at me :shrug:

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

What's the best place to molo with a 95 nec? I'd like to get to 97 or so in the next few days and grinding dailies in Grounds and Valley is so tedious I don't even want to log in.

If there are any decent out of way places that I could AFK grind for a couple days to get the job done I'd be okay with too.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Carl Seitan posted:

What's the best place to molo with a 95 nec? I'd like to get to 97 or so in the next few days and grinding dailies in Grounds and Valley is so tedious I don't even want to log in.

If there are any decent out of way places that I could AFK grind for a couple days to get the job done I'd be okay with too.

Definitely still do the dailies, the 85/90/alternate is 15 mobs combined and gets a ton of xp. If you haven't done Shard's Landing Partisan yet, that's a ton of xp as well.

If you're dead set on grinding things, you can agro kite easily in EW or any other open RoF zone, but that way is going to be slow no matter where you go.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
AFK grinding kind of dries up unless you have some strange setup or MQ going, sorry. Definitely do the dailies though, they're good XP. Try city of bronze, EW, or Evantil. You are dotting multiple mobs and not just root rotting one right?

Also don't molo, all a merc does for a necro is steal XP.

Definitely do shard's landing partisan too, I can't think of anything there that a necro couldn't handle with some finesse. Hell, half of it doesn't even require killing but a lot of fetch quests.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

saintonan posted:

If you're dead set on grinding things, you can agro kite easily in EW or any other open RoF zone, but that way is going to be slow no matter where you go.

The gently caress are you talking about?!? The fastest I have EVER leveled was leveling my necro aggro kiting City of Bronze > Evantil. Are you uhh...sure you know how necros work? You don't kite one mob. You kite 8-10 mobs. Which is to say, you throw 4-6 dots on a mob, then forget about it and let it follow you around while you're doing the same to everything else that moves. City of Bronze until 98, then move to Evantil. Like Stanos said, never use a merc ever. Just use your rogue pet as a mobile dot, get really used to where the whisperwind hotkey is, then bask in pretty much the fastest solo xp ever

My necro did 95-100 faster than my SK even when I swarmed on the SK. I have no idea how killing a steady stream of yellow cons at the rate of about one every 30 seconds while the necro gets solo xp is slow :psyduck: It's about 3 hours per level all the way up to 100 and I was halfassing it

@darkhand - HAHAHA I got out at just the right time. Vaft should go back to giving bonus dkp to the people who run before the banner goes up, that fixed the issue for a while. New laptop is sitting in a UPS warehouse in Memphis delayed until further notice because of the weather which is no longer even snowy :(

^^ Last Shards mission with the dude who spawns barrels and the waves of adds (mini-raid mission) would be really rough on a solo necro, but the rest of it is for-sure doable

Edit - talking to Ffalin, he was leaving before the banner even went down and isn't logging in tomorrow out of lingering anger at lazy fuckers and I kinda agree with him, poo poo's infuriating :shobon:

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 6, 2014

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

MrTheDevious posted:

Edit - talking to Ffalin, he was leaving before the banner even went down and isn't logging in tomorrow out of lingering anger at lazy fuckers and I kinda agree with him, poo poo's infuriating :shobon:

Hahaha, this is gently caress you, got mine taken to it's eq banner extreme.

Burn your guild to the ground.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
You don't need the group mission for the big chunk of XP anymore, or at least my monk/shaman duo didn't do it and got the 30% or whatever ridiculous chunk it was, otherwise I'd agree. Plus if he's on test I can't imagine it's too hard to round someone's bad alts up for it.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

MrTheDevious posted:

The gently caress are you talking about?!? The fastest I have EVER leveled was leveling my necro aggro kiting City of Bronze > Evantil. Are you uhh...sure you know how necros work? You don't kite one mob. You kite 8-10 mobs. Which is to say, you throw 4-6 dots on a mob, then forget about it and let it follow you around while you're doing the same to everything else that moves. City of Bronze until 98, then move to Evantil. Like Stanos said, never use a merc ever. Just use your rogue pet as a mobile dot, get really used to where the whisperwind hotkey is, then bask in pretty much the fastest solo xp ever

RoF really put the emphasis on questing for xp. Test might be slightly more advantageous to grind with auto double xp for kills, but you're still probably faster doing partisans in SL/EW/Kael/Grelleth.

Poistiant
Aug 22, 2006
I keep reading this best way to get xp stuff and have to keep reminding myself that it is people on test talking. Quit confusing me.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

saintonan posted:

RoF really put the emphasis on questing for xp. Test might be slightly more advantageous to grind with auto double xp for kills, but you're still probably faster doing partisans in SL/EW/Kael/Grelleth.

No, see, you're just flat wrong here. Gimme a 95 Necro with an average 2-4kAA and VoA T1 bazaar gear and I'll happily go toe to toe with any group in the game doing those clear to 100 given same gear and AA. I've done it both ways and any necro who's somehow getting faster xp doing RoF quests than killing yellow cons left and right is a bad necro. I agree with you 100% for most classes, but not necro. Only way a full group is going to get faster xp than my solo necro is if they're a perfectly built raid geared group. Can probably put me on Live and them on Test and the solo necro would still win even when the group had double xp and the necro didn't. The difference in kill speed is astronomical

I've done the ENTIRE RoF partisan chain once and everything up to T3 a second time and there's just no way a guy who's never done it once and is in group gear with iffy AA (guy posting for advice here) is going to do it fast enough to compete with just properly grinding a necro the way the class was built to play. Dude posted for advice on leveling as quickly to 100 as a necro as possible and the answer is swarm kiting 95-98 in CoB or BD, then doing the same in Evantil to 100. Telling him to go try soloing a bunch of partisan quests he doesn't know is just wasting his time. There's a reason every long-time necro in the game kited their way to 100.

edit - @jetz0r, then we'd have no raids on Test at all. I'm fully in favor of them all burning, but it wouldn't really accomplish anything except even worse people applying :(

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 6, 2014

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

saintonan posted:

They're good for getting a decent chunk of that expansion's level exp and the core AAs. But they won't give you enough exp to get everything you need. Getting the partisans done should be the first thing you do once you can handle it, but you will need to get exp outside of them.

MrTheDevious posted:

No, see, you're just flat wrong here. Gimme a 95 Necro with an average 2-4kAA and VoA T1 bazaar gear and I'll happily go toe to toe with any group in the game doing those clear to 100 given same gear and AA. I've done it both ways and any necro who's somehow getting faster xp doing RoF quests than killing yellow cons left and right is a bad necro. I agree with you 100% for most classes, but not necro. Only way a full group is going to get faster xp than my solo necro is if they're a perfectly built raid geared group. Can probably put me on Live and them on Test and the solo necro would still win even when the group had double xp and the necro didn't. The difference in kill speed is astronomical

I'd put the bar lower than that. I've compared solo exp with necros in my guild, and we're pretty close. And I can't really touch what I could be getting in a guild exp group. Any actual good full group should be able to beat solo exp. A full raid group of players should be able to demolish it.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

jetz0r posted:

I'd put the bar lower than that. I've compared solo exp with necros in my guild, and we're pretty close. And I can't really touch what I could be getting in a guild exp group. Any actual good full group should be able to beat solo exp. A full raid group of players should be able to demolish it.

You're comparing endgame, best-possible-geared people's xp to the guy in subpar gear at 95 looking to get the fastest xp for him. There literally AREN'T "good full groups" for most people in the game, and certainly not for anyone posting about xp grinds on SA at level 95. I could scoop up another raid geared knight and 4 raid geared mages from my guild (since god knows we have plenty to go round) and wipe out an entire zone every few minutes no problem, but trying to drag a bunch of other 95ish pubbies who probably don't have the foggiest idea how to play their class when they're all in bazaar gear with less than half of max AA isn't going to compete with that xp at all.

Your druid can honestly probably grind faster than my necro by now, but neither one matters when the person asking is 95 and whose full suit of gear amounts to our chest slot stats. At 95 in group gear, comparing total possible necro solo kiting speed vs a bunch of pubbies also in group gear, the necro aggro kiting is going to win every time hands down. Just because you or I can round up people who can eradicate an entire group zone in 15 seconds doesn't mean he can :colbert:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

You're comparing endgame, best-possible-geared people's xp to the guy in subpar gear at 95 looking to get the fastest xp for him. There literally AREN'T "good full groups" for most people in the game, and certainly not for anyone posting about xp grinds on SA at level 95. I could scoop up another raid geared knight and 4 raid geared mages from my guild (since god knows we have plenty to go round) and wipe out an entire zone every few minutes no problem, but trying to drag a bunch of other 95ish pubbies who probably don't have the foggiest idea how to play their class when they're all in bazaar gear with less than half of max AA isn't going to compete with that xp at all.

Yeah, my point was more that the point where group exp is better than necro/dru exp is a little lower than a full, perfect raid group.

quote:

Only way a full group is going to get faster xp than my solo necro is if they're a perfectly built raid geared group.

It's a little lower than this, but I can easily believe that for test server, getting group exp better than solo exp is not going to happen easily.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Good times tonight Illa, thanks for helping me get that headache of an achievement. Eyeballhead here I come.

We probably would have gotten it the first time if we weren't the only two sober people in the group, but hey, it was still entertaining.

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

MrTheDevious posted:

I have no idea how killing a steady stream of yellow cons at the rate of about one every 30 seconds while the necro gets solo xp is slow :psyduck:

Whats your cast order to kill yellow cons in 30 seconds in CoB around level 95-96?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Wayback posted:

Whats your cast order to kill yellow cons in 30 seconds in CoB around level 95-96?

If you constantly have 8-10 mobs dotted up, 1 kill per 30 seconds means they are dying in 4-5 minutes.

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
Well that makes more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Yup. The big mistake to necro kiting is thinking that how fast you kill one mob matters. What you should be looking at is how you can minimize the total number of spell casts per mob, then forget about it for 2-5 minutes while it trudges around behind you rotting to death as you stack x dots on more and more mobs, eventually creating a pile of snared and rotting mobs training around behind you. It takes around 30 seconds of running/casting per mob on average, so eventually you have them dying off every 30 seconds.

I found a great video on necrotalk that taught me how, sec and I'll see if I can find it for you. You'll have to finetune your spell lineup per mob depending on AA/gear to figure out exactly how many you need to cast per mob, but in general you want to use the dots with the highest TOTAL damage by the end of their duration regardless of their DPS.

Edit - found the video, he's iirc in raid gear so it'll probably take you a few more dots per mob, but the technique is exactly the same. Keep whisperwind handy for when something resists snare, so you can blink away before it destroys you. Getting hit is pretty close to death every time. He's at the southern tip of Beast Domain, west past the naeya fields, where all the tree stumps are. Tree stumps take the extra plant damage from corruption dots, so you want to hit as many plants as possible. That's why CoB and Evantil are so good too. His BD area is great to learn because the stumps are spread pretty far apart and static. If you see a bigger stump roaming around, that's a named that will WRECK YO poo poo so stay away :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VetahhJzvzg

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 7, 2014