Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

quote:

Dear WastedJoker,

Your Apple ID, ********@gmail.com, was just used to download Split Lens 2 - Clone Yourself in Video&Photo, Make illusion Video&Photo, +Filters&FX! from the App Store on a computer or device that had not previously been associated with that Apple ID.

This download was initiated from the United States.

If you initiated this download, you can disregard this email. It was only sent to alert you in case you did not initiate the download yourself.

If you did not initiate this download, we recommend that you go to iforgot.apple.com to change your password, then see Apple ID: Tips for protecting the security of your account for further assistance.

Regards,
Apple

I immediately changed my password but it seems this app is often downloaded in cases like this? Can I report this to Apple or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

I immediately changed my password but it seems this app is often downloaded in cases like this? Can I report this to Apple or something?

No. You're not allowed. Thanks for checking with us.

a_m_a_t
Nov 4, 2010
I'm looking for an iPad Air Case and the OP seems out of date.

I'd prefer a lighter one to an Otterbox or heavy-duty case to keep it portable.

Ideal budget is cheaper than an Apple Smart Case. Keyboard would be cool but is not a necessity. The Kensington in the OP looks nice but I'd like to handle one and I haven't come across one in Canada.

Mainly just using for web surfing while traveling so portable is better.

Any strong recommendations? Is the OP still accurate?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

a_m_a_t posted:

I'm looking for an iPad Air Case and the OP seems out of date.

I'd prefer a lighter one to an Otterbox or heavy-duty case to keep it portable.

Ideal budget is cheaper than an Apple Smart Case. Keyboard would be cool but is not a necessity. The Kensington in the OP looks nice but I'd like to handle one and I haven't come across one in Canada.

Mainly just using for web surfing while traveling so portable is better.

Any strong recommendations? Is the OP still accurate?

I got the Snugg one from amazon.ca for 39.99 and quite like it. Even has a loop for the stylus. Got the brown "distressed leather". The Air slides in and out very easily, and there is an elastic strap to hold it one handed that works great.

Snugg iPad Air (iPad 5) Case in Black Leather - Flip Cover and Stand... http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00EYDTA3W/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_EY4etb099X91P

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Congrats on breaking your own screen. You can pay the $300 at an Apple store for a replacement.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=ipad

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I tried the snugg one to find it to be very eh. The loop doesn't hide, the flaps framing the device didn't sit evenly, and the the plasticy smell the thing had annoyed the poo poo out of me. Also the little window with the snugg logo was unsightly. Also it doesn't fold over evenly, because the hinge is like it's own little section, which is something I simply cannot stand.

I got a a like ten dollar case from Bear Motion that is surprisingly nice, sits in multiple positions and has a hand strap for holding. The only thing I'd want out of a different case is a keyboard, and I'm thinking of dropping a couple of bucks on a Logitec one.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
I'm a big fan of Snugg's folio cases, personally. Excellent for traveling. When I was touring around Germany a couple of years ago, my case did everything I needed it to, including letting me use my iPad as a map.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I think I am going to get the Zagg keyboard case (non folio) sometime. Looks like the best keyboard, just hard to find here yet and I'm too cheap to pay shipping.

I like the non folio better because it just clips on the back if you want to use it in portrait without keys.

Also I haven't noticed any plastic smell on the Snugg case. I really can't say I have any complaints with it, it's a great case to add some protection, and it looks and feels quite nice. Even still I take the iPad out from time to time and am always impressed how svelte it is.

priznat fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 3, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
V:shobon:V

It was okay quality, but I just really didn't care for it in the short run. The folio binding flap is also a huge deal breaker on cases for me.

This is the case I got for ten dollars an I really like it a lot better than the snugg one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FDMQXGA/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Not sure if this is the proper place to ask, but what's this thread's opinion on the Adonit Jot Script or the Jot Touch 4? I'd like something decent to doodle with in Adobe Ideas and ASKetch and the cheap styli I've bought on Amazon aren't great for finer details. I've read reviews, but thought I'd get some other opinions before I buy something.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
What's a good stylus for an air? My budget would be anywhere below $35.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There aren't any.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Endless Mike posted:

There aren't any.

I count five on each hand.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

I count five on each hand.

Wow, way to be ableist, jerk.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You don't need a stylus; it is designed so that you can use a finger to touch the screen.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
I mostly want it for taking notes. Does that change anything?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I've tried a bunch and although none of them have been perfect, my current favorite is this Kensington one: http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-K39304US-Touchscreens-Smartphones-including/dp/B004BSF1I8

I don't seem to have to press as hard and the rubber seems to have less drag than other ones I've tried. It works OK for taking notes.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
The image included in the signature of my mom's email account keeps disappearing on our iPad and is replaced with a ° for some reason.
From what I've seen on Google, this seems to be a common problem. How can I deal with this?

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
I just have to say this game is the poo poo on my mini retina:
https://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/smash-hit/id603527166?mt=8

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

supersteve posted:

I mostly want it for taking notes. Does that change anything?

Buy the cheapest one you can get and see if it's something you can get used to. The expensive ones aren't considerably better.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My fiancé bought the iPad Air a few days ago though we haven't used it because the store gave her the wrong color (space gray instead of white) so we're going back tomorrow to exchange it.

She has got this universal cover with a built in keyboard she bought from some local chain store before she even knew what tablet she wanted. I am wondering if it's safe to use the iPad with it. Thought i read somewhere that someone broke his iPad with a similar product and had to pay 300 bucks to replace the scree but I cant find it again. So I'm wondering if that's likely to happen or if there are apple approved covers, she wants one with a real keyboard.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

His Divine Shadow posted:

My fiancé bought the iPad Air a few days ago though we haven't used it because the store gave her the wrong color (space gray instead of white) so we're going back tomorrow to exchange it.

She has got this universal cover with a built in keyboard she bought from some local chain store before she even knew what tablet she wanted. I am wondering if it's safe to use the iPad with it. Thought i read somewhere that someone broke his iPad with a similar product and had to pay 300 bucks to replace the scree but I cant find it again. So I'm wondering if that's likely to happen or if there are apple approved covers, she wants one with a real keyboard.

You want a Made for iPad-certified accessory, if you're that worried. This might be what's she's after - there are plenty of alternatives from other companies though.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ultrathin-keyboard-folio-for-ipad?crid=1221

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I think this looks like the right place for this question so i'll give it a try, if not could you point me in the right direction please :).

I recently aquired a 1st gen iPad, its a neat device, a bit bulky but always works, great battery lifetime and apart from upgrading the OS (which was a pain) to latest ive had no problems with it.

Now im completly new to the Mac OS, ive had DOS/Windows since bloody 3.0!

I hate iTunes, horrible invasive thing, dont want it but its built in i guess.

I want to be able to just see my files, and open them with whatever thing suitable for the file type. I get that are probably docx viewer apps, pdf viewer apps etc etc etc.

So my quesions are how can I just plug the thing into my main computer and copy stuff over, and then view my files on it.

Everything seems to want to go from something something iStore.

For example there a couple of documents, mp3's etc I wanted to have on it, but im having to email them to myself. Like there was a pdf i needed, i had to email it to myself then add it to some book store thing! Its a sodding technical document, i just wanted the file on it so i could read it then copy it off elsewhere, how can you do that? There doesnt seem to be an equivenlant of the file brower anywhere.

No doubt im missing something really obvious but remember first time Mac OS user!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iOS is not Mac OS X nor is it Windows or DOS. For PDFs, the best solution is to find an app that uses Dropbox and sync via that. GoodReader is recommended highly for, well, everything. There's no way to drag and drop files if that's what you're trying to do, and there's no file explorer on iOS.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

I think this looks like the right place for this question so i'll give it a try, if not could you point me in the right direction please :).

I recently aquired a 1st gen iPad, its a neat device, a bit bulky but always works, great battery lifetime and apart from upgrading the OS (which was a pain) to latest ive had no problems with it.

Now im completly new to the Mac OS, ive had DOS/Windows since bloody 3.0!

I hate iTunes, horrible invasive thing, dont want it but its built in i guess.

I want to be able to just see my files, and open them with whatever thing suitable for the file type. I get that are probably docx viewer apps, pdf viewer apps etc etc etc.

So my quesions are how can I just plug the thing into my main computer and copy stuff over, and then view my files on it.

Everything seems to want to go from something something iStore.

For example there a couple of documents, mp3's etc I wanted to have on it, but im having to email them to myself. Like there was a pdf i needed, i had to email it to myself then add it to some book store thing! Its a sodding technical document, i just wanted the file on it so i could read it then copy it off elsewhere, how can you do that? There doesnt seem to be an equivenlant of the file brower anywhere.

No doubt im missing something really obvious but remember first time Mac OS user!

Jailbreak it, ftp over ssh, use app of preference to read/view things.

Alternatively, use google drive.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Ok thanks, will look into those suggestions.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

iFunbox will let you access the file system without jailbreaking.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

My mini retina has an issue were every few days it won't connect to the internet despite having an excellent wifi signal. Powering it off then on again fixes it but reappears a few days later. What's causing this? I've never had this issue with any other iOS device.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
The best iPad accessory!

I wanna buy an iPad mini 32 GB, but the price difference between 64 and 32 is a lot smaller than 16 to 32. I can't decide!

e: Or if I want a red or green cover. The green is nice, but the product red one is so red!

Selklubber fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 9, 2014

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Selklubber posted:

The best iPad accessory!

I wanna buy an iPad mini 32 GB, but the price difference between 64 and 32 is a lot smaller than 16 to 32. I can't decide!

e: Or if I want a red or green cover. The green is nice, but the product red one is so red!

Wow that BMO thing looks like something I need to get.

I don't think I'll fill up my 32GB iPad anytime soon, but I use Spotify and Netflix for media and all my documents are on Google Drive. I got this one instead of 16gb because I was worried I'd use up the storage with apps otherwise. Unless you have a shitton of files or music to put on the device I don't see why a regular user would need 64gb.

I got the red Smart Cover and you're right, it's red as gently caress. I still also want the green one though, but this looks pretty neat.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Have you seen the green in person? Is it more green than the product red is red?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

RobattoJesus posted:

I woke up today and my iPad air has a cracked screen. :(

I dropped it about a month ago, and the corner got a bit squished, but the glass was totally fine. Now there is "spider-webbing" about a centimeter from the rim but the only damage that's over the screen itself is a large hairline crack along the top. I'm guessing heat changes or something just caused it to shatter.

What are the chances that this problem won't get worse? It's currently noticeable, but not $200+ in repair costs noticeable. But if I'm just delaying the inevitable where the whole screen shatters then I guess I might as well bite the bullet and get it fixed now.

My screen cracked in the same way. Seems like the ipad air is much flimsier than the 3. As others said it costs $300 to replace which at that price I'd rather wait for a better ipad.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

Selklubber posted:

Have you seen the green in person? Is it more green than the product red is red?

It's pretty bright but it's not quite as glaring as the red one.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I'm having trouble installing more than one non-jailbroken emulator. For instance, I can install SNES4iOS just fine but when I try to install SiOS, nds4ios or Nescaline it seems to install over the SNES4iOS app.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

vaginal culture posted:

My screen cracked in the same way. Seems like the ipad air is much flimsier than the 3. As others said it costs $300 to replace which at that price I'd rather wait for a better ipad.

Holy poo poo, you've discovered a method to turn anecdotes into real data?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Myself and my girlfriend have never had an iPad screen crack. From this I conclude that the device is literally indestructable.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I have been unable to break ad ipad using telekinesis. Therefore all ipads are immune to my mind powers.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Crackbone posted:

Holy poo poo, you've discovered a method to turn anecdotes into real data?

Corny

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Crackbone posted:

I have been unable to break ad ipad using telekinesis. Therefore all ipads are immune to my mind powers.

Seems legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I'm having trouble installing more than one non-jailbroken emulator. For instance, I can install SNES4iOS just fine but when I try to install SiOS, nds4ios or Nescaline it seems to install over the SNES4iOS app.

That's how those sites that abuse enterprise licenses work.