Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not (exactly) a TV show, but Stacy Keibler left the WWE to pursue a Hollywood career after Dancing with the Stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
The "Michael Shanks leaves SG-1" thing actually surprised me when he didn't find much success, since every woman I knew at the time had him as their #1. I figured he could do Levis commercials and find fame and fortune if nothing else.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That Donald Glover email was fake, which is disappointing but not terribly surprising.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Manos del Sino posted:

The "Michael Shanks leaves SG-1" thing actually surprised me when he didn't find much success, since every woman I knew at the time had him as their #1. I figured he could do Levis commercials and find fame and fortune if nothing else.

I don't think he ever left Canada. The serious people move to New York or LA to give it a go. I think he was just genuinely tired of the show and his character did kind of suck.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Special mention goes to Tom Welling who didn't leave the show but did everything he could to make sure that he wasn't associated with Superman.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Special mention goes to Tom Welling who didn't leave the show but did everything he could to make sure that he wasn't associated with Superman.

That still sort of boggles the mind. He did not want to be associated with the character, yet agreed to star as the character. Everyone who played the role was known as Superman after it ended. I am pretty sure that the movies Dean Cain does to remain off unempoyment say The star of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

That still sort of boggles the mind. He did not want to be associated with the character, yet agreed to star as the character. Everyone who played the role was known as Superman after it ended. I am pretty sure that the movies Dean Cain does to remain off unempoyment say The star of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman!

Yeah, though I guess in his defense this was in the pre-superhero Blockbuster era when you didn't want to be cast in a superhero role. Now of course, that's the straight money train.

Also contrast him with Stephen Amell who basically throws everything he has into being Oliver Queen/Arrow and supports and promotes his show in anyway possible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stephen Amell loves being on Arrow so much that he based his entire winery side business around the show. Its called "Knocking Point" with wines like "Vigilante" and "Vertigo."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey, Rectify season 2 premieres June 19th. And the first season goes up on Netflix tomorrow, apparently. I strongly suggest everyone watch it.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Twee as gently caress posted:

Can't exactly come out and say 'My records aren't selling and I need to pay the bills' either.

He sold over 220k albums and his album was ranked #7 in the US Billboard 200 and #1 in US Billboard top rap albums.

I think that's considered commercially successful, I don't know why he'd need to come back to Community to "pay the bills."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oddly enough that new show Sirens is only a half hour long, which I think is a first for USA.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Ravane posted:

He sold over 220k albums and his album was ranked #7 in the US Billboard 200 and #1 in US Billboard top rap albums.

I think that's considered commercially successful, I don't know why he'd need to come back to Community to "pay the bills."

Well that's about 225k for that year, plus the tours.

Since the rumors were false and he's concentrating on his music career, I'm guessing he feels that's enough. Good for him, I suppose.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ravane posted:

I guess that would explain why he's not actually coming back at all.
I only ever listen to the radio when I'm in the car going somewhere, but you'd think I'd hear at least one of his songs if he's that high up on the charts. I certainly get to hear every lovely high-ranking pop song several times a drive.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bown posted:

Hey, Rectify season 2 premieres June 19th. And the first season goes up on Netflix tomorrow, apparently.

Holy poo poo, I didn't know that second part. Gonna rewatch it for the third or fourth time!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
If you haven't watched it online already, everyone in this thread should watch Comedy Central's "Review" tonight at 10. It's about a guy who reviews life experiences and it's based on an Australian show or something, but there are more important reasons:

1) Andy Daly, the star, is a solid contender for funniest person in the universe. You might know him as the principal from Mostly The First Season of Eastbound & Down, but he's also stolen the show on Comedy Bang! Bang! (both podcast and TV show), that UCB ASSSSSCAT special they have on Netflix, and in Semi-Pro (a low bar to clear, maybe, but still!)
2) It's gotten two A- reviews from Alan Sepinwall and some guy at the A.V. Club based on the first four episodes. Both of them said the third episode is already a leading candidate for the funniest half-hour of the year.
3) Comedy Central appears to actually be good at developing shows now! Why argue with that track record?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes, do this. Then review it in our thread! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3609572

It's seriously great, I've watched it far too many times and can't wait to see episode 3 (especially after seeing the teaser clip online)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How has this not been posted yet? Or if it has, sorry:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/whitneyjefferson/jim-rash-and-joel-mchale-recreate-their-own-true-detective

:allears:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I'll admit it has only been 10 minutes, but Sirens is aggressively unfunny.

e: The remaining 20 minutes were just as terrible.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 7, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is pretty good. Yeah.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

raditts posted:

I guess that would explain why he's not actually coming back at all.
I only ever listen to the radio when I'm in the car going somewhere, but you'd think I'd hear at least one of his songs if he's that high up on the charts. I certainly get to hear every lovely high-ranking pop song several times a drive.

Man, at least you got semi-catchy pop music. Everywhere I go, I'm always stuck with goddamn country music. :suicide:

Is this really how they talk in True Detective? I've never watched the show, but man this video is hilarious.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The latest Revolution episode was pretty funny and maybe a little too self aware. The writers took everything fans bitched about in season 1 and then had the characters say them.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ravane posted:

Is this really how they talk in True Detective? I've never watched the show, but man this video is hilarious.

I don't think it's that bad but then again I'm from the south so YMMV.

For comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RfUj09pWfM

PS please watch True Detective it's super good and cool and the season finale is this Sunday so you have just enough time to catch up!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

JohnSherman posted:

I'll admit it has only been 10 minutes, but Sirens is aggressively unfunny.

e: The remaining 20 minutes were just as terrible.

What is it with Denis Leary anyway, where he seems to desperately wish he was some kind of New York Tough Guy like a firefighter or an EMT or whatever? Did he want to get one of those for Career Day at school, but he drew "mediocre actor / hack comedian" instead?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

What is it with Denis Leary anyway, where he seems to desperately wish he was some kind of New York Tough Guy like a firefighter or an EMT or whatever? Did he want to get one of those for Career Day at school, but he drew "mediocre actor / hack comedian" instead?

Hey, The Job was pretty good. Great supporting cast.

And I still look forward to his Daily Show appearances where Jon just rips into him like a buzzsaw.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

raditts posted:

His cousin was a firefighter and he died. In response he started a bunch of foundation to help them. He also was in Demolition Man

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

Hey, The Job was pretty good. Great supporting cast.

And I still look forward to his Daily Show appearances where Jon just rips into him like a buzzsaw.

The Ref is pretty much the only non-animated Denis Leary performance I can actually deal with.

As far as I'm concerned the high point of his comedy career was his him consistently getting smacked down by the token liberal comedian on Colin Quinn's comedy central show.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

BarbarousBertha posted:

Replacing or retrofitting existing stuff with fancier expensive and fragile new gizmos isn't something most schools would think was a good use of budget. I'll maybe give them the holographic projector/camera teleconferencing stuff in the classrooms but those thumbprint lockers were a bridge too far.

tl:dr MY IMMERSION
:goonsay:

That's actually sort of something that seems like they could have introduced to add a lot more angles to the story they're telling, too.

Throw in a restrained discord between the head of the integration program and the mostly anti-alien local school board about something like the school district was given untold millions of dollars in equipment, funds and grants to have the most state-of-the-art school in the country as part of their agreement to allow the aliens in the school. It explains the tech all over the place and maybe opens up some more story development down the road.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just wanted to come in and mention the passing of Geoff Edwards. Best known as a game show host, Geoff got his start as an actor, but also worked as a journalist (witnessing the shooting of Lee Harvey Oswald), DJ, and travel writer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8plie8WoYEA

The first show I had ever seen Geoff host: The New Treasure Hunt. It was a game show in the academic sense, where contestants had to make a single, random, binary choice between a sure thing and an unknown quantity. But the thing about Treasure Hunt, and indeed a lot of Chuck Barris shows, was that it was more about the journey (and the people on that journey) than the destination. It was to that end that they dragged every contestant on there through seven shades of hell, no matter if the end of the road meant they won a beat-up shopping cart or passed up a cruise around the world.

For obvious reasons, they couldn't use cue cards on the set. Geoff had to remember a whole crapload of sketches, with a quick reminder during the commercial break. They always told Geoff to ham it up as he went along, and Geoff knew how to milk it for all it was worth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un1zRQptAyk

The other show I best remember of his was Starcade. Once again, not much of a game to it: high score after four arcade games gets to play a fifth arcade game for the chance to win a sixth as a grand prize. But Geoff, a middle-aged broadcasting veteran, had a genuine love for technology and video games, still answering emails from fans and playing Unreal Tournament even until recently.

So, yeah, that was Geoff Edwards.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I'm about to watch Review. Based solely on the cast it should be awesome. The Australian version was great as well; the times when it went really dark and stopped even making jokes, to the point when you started to feel wrong just watching it were loving amazing. The murder one and the prostitute one spring to mind as particularly good.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
There's a new show by Alfonso Cuarón but also JJ ABRAMS (!!!) called Believe on Monday. I'm easily entertained but "little girl with spooky powers gets chased by an organization whos people wear black" is not a very good hook imo.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, but the girl had the power to summon and control pigeons.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I saw a commercial for The 100 during Arrow, and they seem to be really trying to make it look like the Hunger Games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kraps posted:

There's a new show by Alfonso Cuarón but also JJ ABRAMS (!!!) called Believe on Monday. I'm easily entertained but "little girl with spooky powers gets chased by an organization whos people wear black" is not a very good hook imo.

Also it blatantly steals that scene from that one Skrillex video for whatever reason.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Aphrodite posted:

I saw a commercial for The 100 during Arrow, and they seem to be really trying to make it look like the Hunger Games.

The 100 was the only CW show this year that really interested me, it's got such a great premise and I really hope it delivers.

That reminds me, how's the Tomorrow People been after the Christmas hiatus? Is it worth getting back into it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rarity posted:

The 100 was the only CW show this year that really interested me, it's got such a great premise and I really hope it delivers.

That reminds me, how's the Tomorrow People been after the Christmas hiatus? Is it worth getting back into it?

They've started with the crazy plot twists like revealing more people have powers but are hiding them.

Also, this week's episode had a fairly dark ending. A previous villain (an evil Tomorrow Person named Julian) came back to team up with Ultra to hunt down Cara and the rest of the group but Jedikiah doesn't trust him so he puts a bomb in Julian's head. The episode ends with the good guys locking Julian in a room (that was covered in D chips which block powers) with the Ultra kill squad he was with and letting the bomb go off.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Rarity posted:

"Stay alive" :v:

Yeah that looks neat.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In the trailer it showed a few kids dying so it's weird that it's still called The 100.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Orphan Black is now available on Prime Instant Video.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/03/07/bbc-americas-orphan-black-now-available-on-amazon-prime-instant-video/242931/

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kraps posted:

I saw the pilot for Believe and the only good part was Kyle Maclachlan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Mu Zeta posted:

In the trailer it showed a few kids dying so it's weird that it's still called The 100.

Hardly the first time

• Locked thread