Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Dragonwagon posted:

I don't understand why they don't just put the gator to the back of the party. It's easier to do and risk free. It stays but doesn't steal the show for itself. Everyone gets what they want.

They have. It always ends up back at the front one way or another.

e: vvv Dammit, I got REALLY excited when I read that post, but then I remembered they're playing Crystal. :(

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh hello Suicune.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Urdnot Fire posted:

I wonder if the first season of Pokemon going up on Netflix affected the popularity much. Well, that and this getting boring compared to the first game.
Was more responding to the ongoing conversation than to what you said in particular, sorry. I just want the poor thing to get some love, if they were going to stick with any one useless mon.

Dunsparce has been a solid anchor on my under level team with his rage. Taking out, or at least mortally damaging, guys ten levels higher than him :shobon:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
And.... We have no balls. Great job TPP. It's been a hell of a ride.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Urdnot Fire posted:

I wonder if the first season of Pokemon going up on Netflix affected the popularity much. Well, that and this getting boring compared to the first game.
Was more responding to the ongoing conversation than to what you said in particular, sorry. I just want the poor thing to get some love, if they were going to stick with any one useless mon.
It gets better with Serene Grace. Really needs an evolution of some kind, though. It can't even use eviolite.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
At least it's comforting to see democracy still sucks at menus.

Edit: It would have been a much better stream if they'd have released Lazergatr and kept Prince Omelette.

Jigsaw fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 7, 2014

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I feel like a lot of pokemon need some sort of evolution. I was so pissed off when a bunch of Pokemon that I thought were going to get kick rear end evolutions instead got pre-evolutions. Seriously, gently caress happiness evolution. Before I learned how to cheese it I thought it was just a level up - hold an item - don't let it get killed condition and got my Chansey up to level 68 before the drat thing evolved.

I'd love for Shuckle to get an evolution just so I can use it with eviolite for that 460 def and special defence stat.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Whelp goodby watergun, hello cut. Truly menus are the true bane of democracy.

Edit, looks like they are trying to teach fly as well, this could make the run more interesting.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 7, 2014

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I don't think you guys understand. They don't want to change this, they don't want a hero, they just want a martyr, a statue to raise. We've given everything we can. There is no fun left in Twitch Plays Pokemon.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
http://issuu.com/audreydijeau/docs/the_book_of_helix

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
People really need to cut TPPC a bit of slack. They came into it expecting that it would instantly be as amazing as the original. We're only on day 4, and things have slowed down because the memory of the old memes is choking out the creation of new ones a bit, but it's not like there's nothing. And don't forget, the original was incredibly boring most of the time. We just managed to teach Brian Fly, there's still the Blackthorn ledge citadel waiting for us, and Mt. Silver is going to make the Pokemon league from Red look like a walk in the park. Just give it time.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
If you ever need a laugh take a look at our held items sometime. Pidgeot has a miracle seed, Hoothoot has a slowpoke tail Shuckle has the TM for Iron Tail, and Metopod has shadowball.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, I've been too busy actually playing Pokemon to check on the stream. Progress? Last I saw, they got a badge from beating the most pathetic gym leader ever.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Welp, I've been too busy actually playing Pokemon to check on the stream. Progress? Last I saw, they got a badge from beating the most pathetic gym leader ever.

They just learned fly and as soon as that happened they flew to New Bark Town.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Oh, they beat Falkner ages ago, they have a total of 7 badges right now.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Montegoraon posted:

People really need to cut TPPC a bit of slack. They came into it expecting that it would instantly be as amazing as the original. We're only on day 4, and things have slowed down because the memory of the old memes is choking out the creation of new ones a bit, but it's not like there's nothing. And don't forget, the original was incredibly boring most of the time. We just managed to teach Brian Fly, there's still the Blackthorn ledge citadel waiting for us, and Mt. Silver is going to make the Pokemon league from Red look like a walk in the park. Just give it time.

I honestly think ledge citadel is going to fall on first democracy. People aren't even attempting hard parts without it and I think that's what's killing the run along with the gator. Using it for everything that slightly resembles a "challenge" on the overworld map isn't interesting at all. Safari Zone had potential to be pretty hilarious but people gave up right away. Victory road took only a couple hours because "guys seriously we need to get through this with democracy."

Not saying Anarchy is the only way guys!! but it's a lot less interesting when it's not Red or AJ bumbling around somehow reaching the goal of each area. Back in the Rocket Hideout I recall us finishing the spinner maze, and right after the battle someone hit up and everyone lost it because it was hilarious. If anything similar happens now it's loving REDDIT RUINING THINGS AGAIN I BLAME 4CHAN

That and this thread is hilariously negative to anything that springs up. If someone says Bird Jesus unironically it seems they get shouted down or complained at for ruining this pure and important thread with those dirty foul memes.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 7, 2014

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I honestly think ledge citadel is going to fall on first democracy. People aren't even attempting hard parts without it and I think that's what's killing the run along with the gator. Using it for everything that slightly resembles a "challenge" on the overworld map isn't interesting at all. Safari Zone had potential to be pretty hilarious but people gave up right away. Victory road took only a couple hours because "guys seriously we need to get through this with democracy."

Not saying Anarchy is the only way guys!! but it's a lot less interesting when it's not Red or AJ bumbling around somehow reaching the goal of each area. Back in the Rocket Hideout I recall us finishing the spinner maze, and right after the battle someone hit up and everyone lost it because it was hilarious. If anything similar happens now it's loving REDDIT RUINING THINGS AGAIN I BLAME 4CHAN

That and this thread is hilariously negative to anything that springs up. If someone says Bird Jesus unironically it seems they get shouted down or complained at for ruining this pure and important thread with those dirty foul memes.

To be fair, Safari Zone and Victory Road both cost a bunch of in-game resources. Namely money and HP, which are lost each time we mess up. Rocket Hideout was a consequence-free slip-and-slide maze, so the lack of loss made bashing our heads against it a bunch feel less risky.

Still, though, a pretty good point.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Walliard posted:

Unown. Unown is the Magikarp of Gen2.
I cleared a gym with an unown my first gen2 run. It knows only one move thats an attack move, meaning the stream wouldn't be able to screw it up and it would propably end up pretty powerful if its hidden power was a strong one.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Nihilarian posted:

Oh, they beat Falkner ages ago, they have a total of 7 badges right now.

:psyboom:

Holy poo poo, they're only on day loving 4!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Still have all of Kanto to do after this.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Johto is the smallest region in any of the Pokemon games. With the exception of maybe Orre, from Colosseum, but that's a bit of a different beast.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Surf spamming Feraligatr.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Do they have to do all 8 Kanto badges too?

Cody Banks
Mar 7, 2013
Stream chat is hilarious. This couldn't have turned out better.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Rei_ posted:

Do they have to do all 8 Kanto badges too?

They do if they want to battle Red atop Mount Silver at the very end, which is what most fans of the last stream are looking forward to in this stream, I would think. I'm looking forward to the Red battle. People in this thread and likely elsewhere are also hoping the game was hacked to include the last stream's team in place of Red's usual team.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I honestly think ledge citadel is going to fall on first democracy. People aren't even attempting hard parts without it and I think that's what's killing the run along with the gator.

They spent 8 hours in Morty's gym (which is impossible to do in anarchy) and well over 4 in Pryce's, even coming directly face to face with him before a rogue input made them go back to the start! :rolleye:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

If anything's killing TPP for me it's that it's gotten slow enough that the chat is readable. Eugh.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Feraligator has to die. He has Cut.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Feraligator has to die. He has Cut.

T. Pontius Pilate said to them, "Then what shall I do with Feraligatr who is called AAAAAtttta?" They all said, "Release Him!" And he said, "Why, what evil has He done?" But they kept shouting all the more, saying, "Release Him!" When TPP saw that he was accomplishing nothing, but rather that a riot was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd, saying, "I am innocent of this Pokemon's blood; see to that yourselves." And all the people said, "His blood shall be on us and on our children!" Then he placed Eevee at the front of the team for them; but after having AAAAAtttta scourged, he handed Him over to be released.

:catholic:

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 7, 2014

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The chat seems to be finally realizing that this was a cool flash-in-the-pan experiment rather than the eternal meme-generating monster they all thought. Now they're just spamming bots and trying to figure out who to "blame." I think my favorite so far was "Demokiddies and Feraligaylords" :allears: reddit

california roll
Feb 23, 2009
I wish the ice gym had continued through the night at least. Viewership was trending upward from the previous night from around 12k to 23k but I'm not sure how much of that was from people waking up compared to renewed interest. Then people finally got fed up and used democracy to easy mode through it.

If I had to make a guess though I'd assume a lot of the low viewership could be attributed to democracy mode. The ledge built up to a 50k consistent viewership and a lot of that was from the "is this possible?" mentality. But with democracy enabled from the beginning every challenge is one good democracy showing away from being completed. It kills the tension.

I understand the point of democracy for truly impossible challenges like Sliph Co, Safari Zone, and Victory Road but that ice gym reminded me of the ledge and instead of finally brute forcing through it and building hype doing it they just used democracy to complete it and everyone tuning in after a few hours was just like "where the hell are we?"

I understand the need for democracy for certain impossible parts but now its just used too liberally to progress through the game. As a previous poster said "now its like watching Pokemon played at a glacial pace" compared to before and that's the best description I've heard so far of Crystal.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They should also really nail down that dude who keeps botting to yank Feraligatr back out whenever he gets deposited. I've seen it happen three times already and each time there's a mechanical precision with dragging them to the PC and withdrawing Feraligatr if he's deposited. If Feraligatr stayed deposited for now, it'd be much better and they could work on their other pokemon. Then pull ol' Majr Lazr out for the final showdown with Red.

Honestly I think it would still be much more popular with the old democracy/anarchy mode enabled, so long as they had a couple moderators, maybe using the TPPstats stream, to eliminate the botnets.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I hope it gets more interesting, ironically, the improvements that were made to the game series as a whole seems to be what it trending towards making this entire experience less enjoyable.

I kinda hate to say it, but ~Gen 1~ might have been the charm. I do not see Gen3+ working even less after seeing this now.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

Mordaedil posted:

I hope it gets more interesting, ironically, the improvements that were made to the game series as a whole seems to be what it trending towards making this entire experience less enjoyable.

I kinda hate to say it, but ~Gen 1~ might have been the charm. I do not see Gen3+ working even less after seeing this now.

Yeah remember when people would try to come up with a plan and we'd just say 'not in gen 1'? That was fun.

Plus now they have an easier game after beating a harder one, there's no excitement in wondering if they can do it because we already know nothing stands in the way.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
It'd be cool if after this he took a few weeks off. Start R/S/E on the first of April, then do D/P to start May, etc. One a month would give some downtime between them and build a little hype.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Mordaedil posted:

Honestly Gen 3 should be better. There's a lot more variety in pokes, which should allow for more memes/heroes/villains. It's unlikely we're going to get Pidgey v3, for example. It's also a much more balanced game so it'll be harder to just run through with the one pokemon like we're doing here.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
J4G Crybaby :frogout:

We need to make that a Smilie

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love the sudden "care and affection" gimmick a lot of people in chat suddenly have.

":love: Let's heal our pokemon, they deserve it! :love:" etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Eevee's new name is AAAASS RJ-I, or something like that. People are already calling him rear end Rimjob.

• Locked thread