Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
So while farming for ZEXR turrets I got a Rule of God, and it is massively dope. I had thought that it was like some crazy Satellite Blaster but nope, it's secret EDF tech that was never officially made that hijacks an orbiting mothership and forces it to fire its Genocide Cannon at your marker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Neo Helbeast posted:

So while farming for ZEXR turrets I got a Rule of God, and it is massively dope. I had thought that it was like some crazy Satellite Blaster but nope, it's secret EDF tech that was never officially made that hijacks an orbiting mothership and forces it to fire its Genocide Cannon at your marker.

Uh. So where'd you pick that up?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Neo Helbeast posted:

What's your strategy here? I've got about 1600 health, but the later levels still destroy me pretty quick on Inferno.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Hyperactive posted:

Uh. So where'd you pick that up?
Mission 16 on Inferno in DLC 2

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

What's your strategy here? I've got about 1600 health, but the later levels still destroy me pretty quick on Inferno.

Spam Railgun Tanks. I grinded mission 11 until I got a level 55 Railgun tank MD4 then switched to mission 45 until I managed to get a 69 blast railgun, then I switched to mission 72 until I got ZEX turrets. For grinding the spider caves my gear was: Splender Chain Gun (switched to Splender Shot AX when I got it), ZEX turrets, and I had about 1900ish health. It was pretty rough at first learning where to set up choke points but after that I started getting like an 85% success rate. If you have a spare controller sitting around, I totally recommend setting up a second air raider with nothing ZEX turrets and using it as kind of like a multiple lines of defense thing.

E: Splender is the only type of limpet gun you can take as it stuns the spiders. Explosive will not work out well.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 6, 2014

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Holy poo poo. I used to swear by shotguns in tunnel missions until I just had a Volatile Napalm Launcher drop. 4 rounds form a glorious wall of flame that melts everything the comes close. Something satisfying about a direct hit too, soons as they die they flop around spewing flames everywhere.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
My first experience with Mission 8 of the DLC Pack 2 was on Hardest and it spiraled down to :stonk: in a hurry.

I couldn't do it, but on the bright side, I have a sweet new armorfarm.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

I also made a quick guide video for grinding DLC 2 Mission 16: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uu5U5lw1vI

Xenosmilus
Sep 16, 2006
Are the contents of weapon crates defined by the classes you're playing in that mission? I've been playing coop with a friend and we're both rangers. A few missions in I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any non-ranger weapons drop.

This game has been everything I hoped for. The voiceovers are amazing. I hope that the crazy overacting scientist returns in later missions

"Wingdivers will beat the giant insects, because giant insects CAN'T FLY!"

Xenosmilus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 6, 2014

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Xenosmilus posted:

Are the contents of weapon crates defined by the classes you're playing in that mission? I've been playing coop with a friend and we're both rangers. A few missions in I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any non-ranger weapons drop.

This game has been everything I hoped for. The voiceovers are amazing. I hope that the crazy overacting scientist returns in later missions

"Wingdivers will beat the giant insects, because giant insects CAN'T FLY!"

this is exactly it. Also there's a lot of discussion early on in the thread and all over it regarding how co-op weapon drops work on and offline so maybe read the thread.

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
Anyone know if it’s possible to host DLC missions for other players who don’t have the DLC?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Neo Helbeast posted:

I also made a quick guide video for grinding DLC 2 Mission 16: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uu5U5lw1vI

Well I guess it's time to play more EDF.

What's the credit cost on that thing? It looks surprisingly small considering a handful of Hectors gave it nearly a third of the bar back.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Two questions:

1)Are the DLC missions worth it?

2)Does everyone in your group need to purchase them to play online?

Xenosmilus
Sep 16, 2006

four hands fisting posted:

this is exactly it. Also there's a lot of discussion early on in the thread and all over it regarding how co-op weapon drops work on and offline so maybe read the thread.

Thanks. Sorry about that, eventually found the info on page 15.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Bussamove posted:

Well I guess it's time to play more EDF.

What's the credit cost on that thing? It looks surprisingly small considering a handful of Hectors gave it nearly a third of the bar back.

It's 8000, on the later missions I can basically just spam it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

JGBeagle posted:

Two questions:

For your first question, I think the are absolutely worth it. They are new and varied missions on the difficulty curve of midgame onto endgame. Some of them are ludicrous for grinding as well. If you like EDF and you want to play more EDF, then get the DLC.

I can't answer your second question though, sorry!

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Neo Helbeast posted:

I also made a quick guide video for grinding DLC 2 Mission 16:
Interesting trick on DLC 2-16: The group of gold ants that spawn in "upper" cave near the end of the mission, are just on the other side of the rock wall where you started the mission. Explosive weapons seem to be able to kill them through that wall. I was able to hit them (a little) with the Idunn Custom E 2. I was also able to blow them up real good with the RZR plasma launcher (it has a big blast radius).

You still have to traverse the whole level to get their drops though. And you still have to deal with the lower group of ants. I'd only suggest it with a wing diver or dash-cancelling fencer.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm kinda curious, do the classes have an Armor cap?

Edit: Actually, from the looks of it, I guess they don't. Also, holy poo poo, Brute Force. :aaa:

You guys weren't kidding, things are ramping up like crazy.

Runa fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 7, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I assume that when Dark Souls 2 comes out I will effectively kiss goodbye to this game (and all the others) for quite a long time, but for now I am playing it like a fiend. Last night I was tromping around in a Proteus with two players named Sanae Kochiya and Alice Margatroid (whose characters were colored appropriately, incidentally my character is sporting Saints purple and gold), firing bazillions of missiles at enemy drones and Hecters while shouting slogans the whole time. It was peak anime (or maybe just peak Japan?) in game form. I felt so dirty but so happy. Goddamn this glorious game.

edit: where's that news about a PS4 EDF game? They announced it along with the PS4 itself but not a peep since then.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 7, 2014

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Keep editing your posts about killing bugs, wouldn't want to make any new posts or we might run out.

Game is still fun, don't need some brooding souls 2 or anything to entertain me.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: where's that news about a PS4 EDF game? They announced it along with the PS4 itself but not a peep since then.

I'm not even sure if we need a brand new EDF game. If they just released a 1080p/60fps/better effects version of 2025 for ps4, I'd play that until the end of time. Especially if it came with the DLC.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 7, 2014

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

JGBeagle posted:

Two questions:

1)Don't know, haven't played them yet.

2) Yes, a buddy of mine bought DLC pack 2 and i couldn't join him.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

four hands fisting posted:

Keep editing your posts about killing bugs, wouldn't want to make any new posts or we might run out.
Is this a crack about how I can't stop editing my posts in general? I'll have you know that I could quit anytime I wanted to.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm not even sure if we need a brand new EDF game. If they just released a 1080p/60fps/better effects version of 2025 for ps4, I'd play that until the end of time. Especially if it came with the DLC.
The PS4 EDF is probably EDF5 and we won't see any more detail or information on it for a year or two. EDF4 was announced in 2010! Three other EDF games were released while it was in development, so I'd say at least PSVita port is incredibly likely this year or next.

A PC/PS4 re-release would be marvelous, though!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

A PC/PS4 re-release would be marvelous, though!

I would double-dip this game on Steam in a heartbeat.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm afraid I'll only double dip in that case if it has a choice of Japanese voices. I can tell the English ones are good too, but it's just too weird for the entirety of EDF not to be Japanese for some reason.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I would pay good money for DLC that either allowed me to turn off the voices of the screaming crowd or maybe just allowed me to kill them. I know they're useful for distracting bugs early during spawns but goddamn I find them so loving irritating and they are the only thing I dislike about this game, which is still officially my The Best Game Ever.

I remembering thinking how amazing it was to get a port of EDF1 on newer consoles (not that I didn't love the old EDF games on PS2) and so was excited for a port of EDF2 to follow it up. I never thought we'd get something as magical as this :allears:

(Also DLC that would stop me from seeing giant bugs every time I close my eyes would be great as well :gonk:)

This completely makes up for the betrayed feelings I got from pre-ordering IA and then dropping $10 on the Steam version as well. Add me to the "double dip this game in a heartbeat" crowd.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Just looked up the PS2 EDF (GDF) for the first time. I love how little the game has changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWB9-BfjMPo

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
GDF and 2025 do have largely the same structure, but it's interesting to see the changes.

The original EDF had only 30 levels, and the first half of EDF2 follows it very closely, while sprinkling in a few new things like the spiders, flying ants and underground missions (also London, I guess?). The build up to the fight with the Mothership is exactly the same, and when you destroy it, you've definitely won! But then the gigantic second Mothership turns up and proceeds to gently caress poo poo up for another 40 levels. If you played the games in order, the entire second half of the game is a huge surprise.

2025 does things a little differently, while we do revisit the structure of 2017 (which was basically EDF stretched to EDF2 length), it's done in half the time. The ravagers may have turned up in greater numbers, but humanity is holding it's own. The arrival of the Earth Eaters mirrors the second Mothership but it isn't presented as a second wave, but part of the continuing escalation.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

This game needs to have my favorite line from Starship Troopers in it. The one where the guy is mortally wounded, but he takes the nuke from Rico.

"Just trying to kill some bugs, sir!"

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Beat the game last night. It's great, but the dragons. Ugh. They're the dumbest-looking enemy, the least-fun to fight, and all encounters are exactly the same (A Swarm of 100 Dragons Flies At You From Above). It kind of sours the last fifth of the campaign in my opinion.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Polo-Rican posted:

Beat the game last night. It's great, but the dragons. Ugh. They're the dumbest-looking enemy, the least-fun to fight, and all encounters are exactly the same (A Swarm of 100 Dragons Flies At You From Above). It kind of sours the last fifth of the campaign in my opinion.
I just find them ridiculously easy to fight as a wing diver. Wait for them to crash into the ground, fly up, laser chainsaw them while they lie on the ground in a writhing heap. It's so bizarre the gap between how difficult the devs seemed to think they were making them, and how hard they really are. The good old red ants are far more dangerous, I think. Ultimate evolution of giant creatures my rear end.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Yeah I totally agree. The first time you fight the dragons the NPCs all scream about "how tough!" they are, and how we're "all doomed," but the level is easier than the previous bee levels. They're like bees that do less damage, but instead rush in your face and fill your screen with purple blood.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 7, 2014

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I love how science guy is all "oh no they fly better than Wing Divers" while you fly rings around them blasting them apart. And I love how unsubtle the mission description for that first mission with them is. Something along the lines of "if you kill all of the insects you've definitely won the mission" and the picture is of a shadow of something that's clearly not an insect.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I'd just like to point out that on Inferno the Dragons get a massive speed boost - on the ground and in the air - on top of all the usual Inferno perks, and actually become legitimately terrifying in large groups. The also do a metric shitload of damage if they manage to grab you, way more than a red ant. So yeah, those of you still knocking around normal/hard have that to look forward to.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Psycho Landlord posted:

I'd just like to point out that on Inferno the Dragons get a massive speed boost - on the ground and in the air - on top of all the usual Inferno perks, and actually become legitimately terrifying in large groups. The also do a metric shitload of damage if they manage to grab you, way more than a red ant. So yeah, those of you still knocking around normal/hard have that to look forward to.

Dragons aren't too terrible alone but in multiplayer their ability to separate the team is their deadliest ability.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
The worst part about dragons as a ranger is that they all divebomb you in a great, flaming scaly dogpile, so explosive weapons are useless unless you fancy your chances getting healthpickups while suicide bombing them.

Also, started playing fencer and just got javelin launchers. I don't care if it's impractical, it's hilarious and amazing so I'm going to use them as long as possible.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

The worst part about dragons as a ranger is that they all divebomb you in a great, flaming scaly dogpile, so explosive weapons are useless unless you fancy your chances getting healthpickups while suicide bombing them.

The best part is that you get to spin in a circle with a shotgun and annihilate twelve of them at once.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
That's fun too but it can be iffy for me because the dragon pulp tends to clog the barrels and block shots from hitting more than 3 or so at a time. :black101:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
drat, even though this game is B-movie right to the hilt, the radio chatter gets pretty loving dark in the last few missions.

I think it's mission 83? You're surrounded. Amidst all the carnage you can hear the radio dispatcher telling any survivors to hide in caves and help each other, because they may be the last living people on the planet. That announcement is so out of place, and pretty drat chilling in the same casual delivery. They also do away with the comical screams and OTT delivery so you can just hear dispatchers sobbing and begging not to die in one mission. :stare:

Then you get to the last mission, and they're wondering out loud if you're some sort of immortal. It does fill in the blanks of the story though.

Storm One is no man. They are a God of war, striding the battlefield to revel in the death and property damage in their wake. The aliens didn't come for Earth. They came for one being amongst billions. And failed. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

limited posted:

Storm One is no man. They are a God of war, striding the battlefield to revel in the death and property damage in their wake.

Storm One also blows himself up quite often and screams WoooooAAAAhhhh!!! at random, often inappropriate times.