Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There was a short scene in the beginning of the episode where Ragnar saw Rollo with some nasty facial scars. I assumed it was a vision of the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

ghouldaddy07 posted:

The previous J'arl tortured Rolo and cut his face with a knife in season 1.

Oh poo poo that's right.

I stand corrected, Perestroika.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
They're still there, but he spend so much of the episode covered in blood and mud, it was easy to miss them now that they've healed and aren't as gnarly.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

jazz babies posted:

He's totally my favourite already. I love him.

Floki is the best character on the show.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
He is definitely my favorite as well, and commented to my friends watching with me during the first episode that if they killed off Floki during his fight with Rollo I probably wouldn't continue watching, which is a lie though :ssh:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ragnar still up to his old tricks.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Zero One posted:

Ragnar still up to his old tricks.

The man likes his blonds

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Sigurd Snake-in-the-Eye :getin:

Edit: What is the little boy's name? Which one is he?

e2: A quick rewind says its Ubbe.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 7, 2014

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
And there we have Sigurd the snake-in-the-eye

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

I think holding a hot knife like that is a poor decision

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Brennan posted:

Yeah, hope that wasn't his jerkin hand.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Zero One posted:

Sigurd Snake-in-the-Eye :getin:

Edit: What is the little boy's name? Which one is he?

I think she said Ubbe. Could have been Ivar. Didn't sound all that clear to me.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Vikings Season 2: Speak-up

edit: yep it's Ubbe

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Erghh posted:

I think she said Ubbe. Could have been Ivar. Didn't sound all that clear to me.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Vikings Season 2: Speak-up

edit: yep it's Ubbe

Well there are two kids now, so I guess its Ubbe and Ivar.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Wow those all his kids?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Brennan posted:

Now he has a scar shaped like that knife if he ever needs a pattern for one, like the Nazi in Raiders, so he's clearly planning ahead.

Dvsilverwing posted:

Wow those all his kids?

You say that like a guy like Ragnar wouldn't be boning all day every day.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Unfortunately the dragons were only inside my head :v:

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Please inform Jarl Borg of my decision for there to be drama.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Dvsilverwing posted:

Wow those all his kids?

Ragnar got around. Straight OG.

Also Skoal everybody.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Good throw bud, maybe next time.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

I actually do like them putting in the four year break not only for building boats but also citing they needed to replace the men they lost fighting

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I can't wait for them to get to England.

I mean, its fun seeing them doing their stuff at home, but that's fun like how the draft and training camp is.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I expected that fight to be a cliffhanger. Spotted a goony as gently caress viking too!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Wessex eh? Yeah they got pretty far off course.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Athelstan is getting pretty :black101:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Ragnar should have killed Siggy long ago.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I'm hoping Siggy gets killed this season. She's such a constant source of drama that you'd think everyone could immediately smell the stench of Lady Macbeth on her.

Edit: Also, yeah, Athelstan is loving badass now! A glorious transformation he has made.

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 7, 2014

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I cant believe Lagertha went and married some other dude and it looks like he treats her like poo poo :smith:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I actually cheered at Athelstan going full-fledged :black101:

I really need to read my old copy of the Eddas now. I seem to have forgotten a lot of hijinks among the gods and their heroes.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ubba Lothbrokson is in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle and was a real dude, so that's cool they are somewhat going off that. The other ones should be Ivar the Boneless and Halfdan if they are following the chronicle as far as they are concerned.

Ubba does end up being a badass as an adult, and so does Halfdan. Not sure where Sigurd fits into it, or Bjorn for that matter.

No More Heroes posted:

I cant believe Lagertha went and married some other dude and it looks like he treats her like poo poo :smith:

Something tells me she still kicks his rear end, even if that means she fights him mano y womano, or just slits his throat while he sleeps. Whatever works. That or Bjorn kills him. MY PREDICTIONS

Axel Serenity posted:

I actually cheered at Athelstan going full-fledged :black101:

I really need to read my old copy of the Eddas now. I seem to have forgotten a lot of hijinks among the gods and their heroes.

I hope he doesn't go back to Wessex :ohdear:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Was Ecbert supposed to be squatting in an old Roman bathhouse?

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Its sweet were getting Egbert action he was pretty :black101: himself.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Is Athelstan still Ragnar's slave?

also calling athelstan hooking up w/ lagertha this season

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

He basically stopped being a slave before the end of season 1 when he was helping around Ragnar's hall. At this point he's a legit member of Ragnar's crew. Ragnar even gave him an arm ring in this episode.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Was Ecbert supposed to be squatting in an old Roman bathhouse?

Angles, Mercians and Saxons totally did "squat" in Roman ruins, like in London.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

No More Heroes posted:

If Wikipedia's selective quoting of Saxo is the way the show goes, I think he has to be an rear end in a top hat for modern audiences to accept what happens to him.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Pretty sure when Ragnar gave him a wristband it meant he was a real man in viking society and no longer his slave.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

life is killing me posted:

Ubba Lothbrokson is in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle and was a real dude, so that's cool they are somewhat going off that. The other ones should be Ivar the Boneless and Halfdan if they are following the chronicle as far as they are concerned.

Ubba does end up being a badass as an adult, and so does Halfdan. Not sure where Sigurd fits into it, or Bjorn for that matter.

From what I remember, Sigurd doesn't end up being all that important except in terms of lineage. Bjorn is a total badass though. There's a part in the Tales of Ragnar's Sons where he can't break through the city walls at Luna, and tricks them by having a messenger tell the city's clerics that he died and had a deathbed confession, so he wanted to be buried on hallowed ground. They bring his coffin in and right as they get to the church Bjorn, still very much alive, jumps out of the coffin, hacks everyone apart, and opens the gates from the inside to let his men in.

I'm also curious to see what direction they go in with Ivar, since there's literally like a dozen different theories on his sobriquet.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

In the long term, it's going to be really interesting to see how they handle throwing Ragnar into a snake pit, given that he's the main character and you don't kill off the main character...like ever, unless its the end of the series.

Also, we were talking about the show at work today and I got to semi-coin the term "Chekhov's Snake Pit."

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

Sash! posted:

In the long term, it's going to be really interesting to see how they handle throwing Ragnar into a snake pit, given that he's the main character and you don't kill off the main character...like ever, unless its the end of the series.

Also, we were talking about the show at work today and I got to semi-coin the term "Chekhov's Snake Pit."

Judging by the impending time-jump I'm guessing Ragnar dies and the show continues with his sons avenging him as leaders of the Great Heathen Army, which I'm totally down with because not only would it be an interesting direction for the show to go in (kind of a Ned Stark moment I guess, and anyways gently caress "conventions" if it makes for a more compelling story) but his sons are actually more interesting characters as a whole, provided they nab some good actors for them.

There's groundwork there for quite a few more seasons if they stick to a generally historic narrative, but then again this show isn't exactly pinned to historical accuracy so eh. Still, I don't imagine them sidestepping that particular plot point since it's really what Ragnar is most famous for aside from having a bunch of badass kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Judging by the impending time-jump I'm guessing Ragnar dies and the show continues with his sons avenging him as leaders of the Great Heathen Army, which I'm totally down with because not only would it be an interesting direction for the show to go in (kind of a Ned Stark moment I guess, and anyways gently caress "conventions" if it makes for a more compelling story) but his sons are actually more interesting characters as a whole, provided they nab some good actors for them.

There's groundwork there for quite a few more seasons if they stick to a generally historic narrative, but then again this show isn't exactly pinned to historical accuracy so eh. Still, I don't imagine them sidestepping that particular plot point since it's really what Ragnar is most famous for aside from having a bunch of badass kids.

There's also the whole deal with Ivar, I'd like to see their take on the "boneless" part. No one is really sure why he was called "the Boneless," so I want to see which theory they'd go with.

At least insofar as many of the characters having been real or based on real people, I think they are doing a good job with the history and mixing it with the creative license.

• Locked thread