Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

VomitOnLino posted:

I just realized the we're probably IKEA table buddies. Sup?!

Table Triplets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Hell yea those ikea tables are the shizznit.

PushingKingston posted:

Watch my friends drink you say:

What's with the plastic wrap?

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

Santa is strapped posted:

What's with the plastic wrap?

I really don't know. I guess someone thought about saving the water for later.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Ain't noone shooting with their p&s anymore?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drat, I saw those on Flickr earlier and assumed they were on MF or something. Nice work! I left my P&S in my college locker over the holidays :saddowns:

That one of the building at night is great.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Thanks, I had shot those a year ago, just scanned them 2 days ago.

Sneak into the school and take it, get drunk with your friends on the roof of the school.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I picked up this Olympus Infinity today for $4, and it came with a neat little snap-on 1.3x teleconverter. Everything appears to be in great shape, no real scratches or anything on the body and the foam inside seems fully intact.

Olympus Infinity 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Olympus Infinity 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

The battery I ordered cost more than $6, and will probably take a month to get here.

I just blasted through the last 10 pages (and 2 years) of this thread, and I saw mightaswell had put up some kind of advertisement for this camera that strongly suggested it was water resistant. Did I get that lucky?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

mju-ii

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I have no patience and paid over $20 for my battery from Walmart locally.

Yes they are water resistant, I've taken mine in the pool/beach. Not submerging but definitely splashed etc.

They're not perfect. The AF is really basic and the flash is fully automatic and non-defeatable. But they have a nice lens and feel really tough. Enjoy!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ExecuDork posted:

I picked up this Olympus Infinity today for $4, and it came with a neat little snap-on 1.3x teleconverter. Everything appears to be in great shape, no real scratches or anything on the body and the foam inside seems fully intact.

Olympus Infinity 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Olympus Infinity 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

The battery I ordered cost more than $6, and will probably take a month to get here.

I just blasted through the last 10 pages (and 2 years) of this thread, and I saw mightaswell had put up some kind of advertisement for this camera that strongly suggested it was water resistant. Did I get that lucky?

I've found my mother's similar looking Olympus AF1 in a drawer last month, sitting there unused for a more than a decade.

I opened the slider and inadvertently pushed the shutter. It flashed my stupid face without a hiccup and advanced the roll for the next shot. It does'nt say much about how weatherproof it is but still :stare:

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 8, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
edit: oh wrong thread

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 9, 2014

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

whatever7 posted:

Walmart has the red Fujifilm XF1 (2/3" sensor 4X zoom) for 199, buy with Discover card on shopdiscover.com get another 10% off.

This is probably the thread you're looking for : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3321133

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
I found a nice Minox to bring with me loaded with color film, seeing as the Rollei is constantly shooting BW.

Toys for girls of all ages di maxmars70, su Flickr

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
"watch my friends drunkenly play piggyback pool"

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
So my Stylus Epic broke and I'm in the market for a new P&S. Are there any cheaper cameras than the GR1V with the same features (bracketing, ISO override, aperature priority)?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

"watch my friends drunkenly play piggyback pool"

These are great, what's the stock, Portra 400?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Quantum of Phallus posted:

These are great, what's the stock, Portra 400?
Thanks! Yep, Portra 400 shot at around EI800-1200 and developed with no push. This film is magic.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks! Yep, Portra 400 shot at around EI800-1200 and developed with no push. This film is magic.

:stare:

God drat

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

What camera?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Nikon F-801s, think the lens was probably a somewhat foggy 35-70mm f/2.8. I realised after posting that this thread is for P&S only but it was TOO LATE.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Haha I had a suspicion that the DOF was too narrow for your average p&s. Nice shots though!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nikon F-801s, think the lens was probably a somewhat foggy 35-70mm f/2.8. I realised after posting that this thread is for P&S only but it was TOO LATE.

It was too good to be true :'(

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Rollei 35s is fantastic for throwing in a pocket or as an inconspicuous street camera:

Erie by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Pennsylvania Ave. by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

voodoorootbeer posted:

Rollei 35s is fantastic for throwing in a pocket or as an inconspicuous street camera:

It really is. At first it may turn you down because it doesn't have a rangefinder of sort, but with time I've learned to love it. It also changed my mind with regard to what features are indispensable in a camera.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

voodoorootbeer posted:

Very nice. I've been unable to find a decent Rollei 35 at a user price, as opposed to the priceless collector value some folks put on it. I think I'm going to just take my Minox 35ML with me on a month tour around Japan in March and April. At least I know I can always get film on this trip.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
xpost from low effort:

Went to miami, brought my xa2

Sexy

Ocean Dr

South beach

Ocean Selfie

Beach Selfie

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Dang. Those first two are great; maybe I should shoot with my XA2 more. Did you set the zone focus on landscape for those?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I keep loading bullshit expired weird films in my XA and then I wonder why I never shoot it.

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
In a day, how many cellphones do you think plunge into the drink on that beach?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Chill Callahan posted:

Dang. Those first two are great; maybe I should shoot with my XA2 more. Did you set the zone focus on landscape for those?

Thanks! Not really, I usually forget about those settings.

dude ranch posted:

I keep loading bullshit expired weird films in my XA and then I wonder why I never shoot it.

Yeah this was loaded with expired 800 fuji that I picked up because it was $12 for a five pack. Probably not the best film for a bright beach. :/

the night dad posted:

In a day, how many cellphones do you think plunge into the drink on that beach?

God, so many. There were so many selfies. I was amazed.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I'm going on a month trip all around Japan in a few weeks and I'm packing light and trying to choose a film camera to take. My M6 is over 2 lbs with the lens so that's not gonna happen. I'm shooting with various cameras from my collection to make sure they are working properly and to help me decide which to take. It's between an XA-2, Minox 35GT, QL17 GIII and my Fujifilm Klasse.

I loaded the Klasse with some Ektar 100 and went looking for those turquoise skies.

The original Klasse model has a dial on the front for zone focus. It seems that when I set it to "Infinity" everything is a bit blurry but if I let the AF do it's thing, it comes out sharp.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
I would take the Canon and the Minox, one with bw and one color film.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Are there any favourable point-and-shoots with fixed focal lengths above 35mm and below 50mm? I'm looking into the Contax T2 (38mm) but want to get a better idea of what else is out there.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Found this today for a dollar. Bought some film from Walgreens. Can't wait to annoy my friends!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

try it with a lime posted:

Are there any favourable point-and-shoots with fixed focal lengths above 35mm and below 50mm? I'm looking into the Contax T2 (38mm) but want to get a better idea of what else is out there.

How about the Canon AF35ML/Super Sure Shot? There's also the Fuji Klasse S and the Leica Minilux, but those are both not known for reliability.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Just found something pretty awesome at the flea market for 5 dollars :stare:

The build quality of this thing is awesome, I always expected the XAs to feel really cheap for some reason.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

The only thing I dislike about the XA is the vignetting can be very aggressive until you hit f/8. Apart from that it's one of the best excuses never to leave home without camera.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.
Speaking of the XA:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It took too long, but tonight I scanned the first two rolls I've sent through my Olympus Infinity.

unpacked robinhood posted:

I've found my mother's similar looking Olympus AF1 in a drawer last month, sitting there unused for a more than a decade.

I opened the slider and inadvertently pushed the shutter. It flashed my stupid face without a hiccup and advanced the roll for the next shot. It does'nt say much about how weatherproof it is but still :stare:
First, a bit about the camera: it's known (and labelled) as the Olympus AF-1 in most places outside of North America, so unpacked robinhood's camera is the same. Many sites claim the flash fires every time the shutter button is pressed, but mine only uses the flash when light levels are low - indoors, for example. Outdoors on a bright sunny day, no flash. :) Olympus' history page describes this camera as their first autofocus P&S (they distinguish between P&S and rangefinders - the C-AF was their first AF camera), and progenitor of a long line of AF P&S - including the thread-favourites like the mju and XA. Plus, water-resistant - hence the Japanese name "Nurepika" that apparently means "wet flash"....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lERihvfMatY
... as demonstrated in this Japanese commercial.

My battery arrived from Israel in record time, and I loaded a roll of expired Walgreens-branded (actually Fuji) expired ISO 200 film I got a while ago from FilmPhotographyProject. None of the following pictures have been white-balance adjusted, but I did crop/rotate/and adjust tone in LightRoom. Also these came through my rather crappy Epson Perfection 3170 PHOTO scanner.

Test Roll 1 Walgreens 200 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Test Roll 1 Walgreens 200 3 by Execudork, on Flickr

That was a cold day, around -30 C, and this little fully-auto camera did well. It's surprisingly easy to open and shoot wearing huge gloves, but I've got to be more careful about where said huge gloves are in relation to the lens. :downs:

Test Roll 1 Walgreens 200 6 by Execudork, on Flickr

RustedChrome posted:

I loaded the Klasse with some Ektar 100 and went looking for those turquoise skies.

This was mildly inspirational - I had just loaded my second roll, Ektar 100, when I saw your post. Thanks!

Test Roll 2 Kodak Ektar 100 4 by Execudork, on Flickr

Test Roll 2 Kodak Ektar 100 8 by Execudork, on Flickr

Test Roll 2 Kodak Ektar 100 12 by Execudork, on Flickr

Finally, this camera has accessories! In addition to the 1.3x teleconverter I've got, Olympus made a "close-up" (kind of a quasi-macro thing) lens that occassionally shows up on eBay. Someday...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Gorgeous pictures. I should really shoot more Kodak film. Thank you for sharing!

• Locked thread