Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Where is your analysis from? The meta study focuses on the difference between Co-sleeping and room sharing in optimal situations, and not on differences in smoking or formula situations, because of the prevailing myth that cosleeping is perfectly safe if you don't smoke or drink. The further review of the data shows it isn't. It is uncontroversial that smoking and drinking increase the risk of Sids, so that doesn't need highlighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

greatn posted:

Where is your analysis from? The meta study focuses on the difference between Co-sleeping and room sharing in optimal situations, and not on differences in smoking or formula situations, because of the prevailing myth that cosleeping is perfectly safe if you don't smoke or drink. The further review of the data shows it isn't. It is uncontroversial that smoking and drinking increase the risk of Sids, so that doesn't need highlighting

There's obviously a lot of conflicting data on cosleeping, but UNICEF has put out a statement about this review specifically with some of the confusing points contained in it: http://www.unicef.org.uk/BabyFriendly/News-and-Research/News/UNICEF-UK-Baby-Friendly-Initiative-statement-on-new-bed-sharing-research/

I think most people would agree that there are risks involved with cosleeping and that it is not perfectly safe even under the circumstances you describe. However there are also risks involved with the baby sleeping in a crib in a different room, and risks with accidentally falling asleep in a chair or sofa with your baby. I have been in the situation the previous poster is dealing with when you are brand new sleep deprived parents, have a days-old infant who (completely reasonably) only sleeps on you, and it is becoming rapidly important that everyone in the family gets sleep fast, and I don't think it's necessarily helpful in that moment to receive advice that if you do "X" your baby is in danger of dying, especially where "X" is a controversial topic with a lot of personal choice involved. To cosleep or not to cosleep is going to have to be an individual choice, but the previous poster deserves to hear about the studies that show there may be benefits to cosleeping as well, so he can make his own decision about what works for their family.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Can we stop the co-sleeping argument that's brewing? I really like this thread and don't want to see it get closed again. I think that, if someone is or has previously been co-sleeping or is thinking about it and mentions it in the thread, it is probably safe to assume that anyone dropping in to start shouting about SIDS risk is not the first person to mention this to them, and probably doesn't need to say anything at all. At this point it's like pointing out to someone that they're tall and expecting them to be surprised at your revelation; there's a fairly great chance that at least one of these things--nurses, hospital staff, home check-ins, the literature on SIDS most hospitals give you to take home, the child's pediatrician and a parents' own research, even if it's just the internet--have gotten in before you.

If co-sleeping isn't for you, then that's great, congrats. I envy you. But for the first 7 months of my daughter's life it was the ONLY way that any of us got any sleep at all. Pack-n-play beside the bed? Screaming all night. Crib across the room? Screaming all night. Fall asleep in bed with us and then is gently moved to the crib? Immediately awake again and screaming all night.

But, wrapped in a sleep sack in the center of our firm mattress, with one of us on either side of her and space in between us? Instant, blessed sleep. When we weighed the pros and cons, we felt that she was in more danger of one of us falling asleep at the wheel while she was in the back seat because none of us were sleeping than she was on a flat blanketless surface that she couldn't roll off of and actually slept in. We only stopped co-sleeping when she was mobile enough to 1) somehow houdini out of her sleep sack and 2) would wake us up at 4am every day by jamming her fingers in our eyes and saying 'eyes!' repeatedly.

So if it's not for you, great, I'm happy that you've found something that works for you that isn't co-sleeping. But please, please save the preaching, the only thing it does is make everyone angry at each other. :(

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

greatn posted:

It is a response to the article that Livescience is referencing that is on the BMJ website:
http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f3296?tab=responses

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm not doing any preaching, I'm just laying out the most recent facts on the matter.

I recall when I mentioned having an infant in arms on a flight I was lectured as to how irresponsible I was despite the extremely low risk, and how that was no better than driving with an infant in arms. I didn't start saying "oh no you're gonna get the thread closed", I let it go.

Sleep whatever works best for your family, I just want people to be aware of the increased risk, because currently there's a lot of misinformation, and it is accepted to be safe or even safer despite the new evidence making it at least controversial.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

greatn posted:

I'm not doing any preaching, I'm just laying out the most recent facts on the matter.

I recall when I mentioned having an infant in arms on a flight I was lectured as to how irresponsible I was despite the extremely low risk, and how that was no better than driving with an infant in arms. I didn't start saying "oh no you're gonna get the thread closed", I let it go.

Sleep whatever works best for your family, I just want people to be aware of the increased risk, because currently there's a lot of misinformation, and it is accepted to be safe or even safer despite the new evidence making it at least controversial.

I just want to say that it's a) not new evidence b) the problems with their statistical analysis are lacking enough that I would say hasn't brought anything new to the table. The UNICEF response is very nice because it gives the statistical reasons in detail and then goes back to give very applicable and general recommendations. Your posts have basically said it's open and shut that cosleeping is dangerous with the implication that anyone doing it is endangering their children. The evidence is really lacking for that argument.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Rurutia posted:

I just want to say that it's a) not new evidence b) the problems with their statistical analysis are lacking enough that I would say hasn't brought anything new to the table. The UNICEF response is very nice because it gives the statistical reasons in detail and then goes back to give very applicable and general recommendations. Your posts have basically said it's open and shut that cosleeping is dangerous with the implication that anyone doing it is endangering their children. The evidence is really lacking for that argument.

In greatn's defense, my initial statement in defending co-sleeping was more open-and-shut than it should've been as well. There is research out there that suggests it might be more dangerous for the baby; it's up to parents to evaluate what's out there and decide what activities they're comfortable with.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

greatn posted:

A discussion which I did not weigh in on, because I have been on an airplane exactly twice in my life and never with a baby and have zero opinion on, though I distinctly remember it not even crossing my mind that you were particularly irresponsible--I agree that it's incredibly low risk, and as the airline allows it, not something to get crazy up in arms about. I didn't say anything, though, because I hate airplanes and want to never get in one again if I can help it.

Anyhow, this thread is called Parenting Megathread: No Tantrums Edition after the previous thread was closed for a hot button topic (CIO I believe?) discussion that turned into a gigantic argument. Like co-sleeping, it's just one of those topics that cause everyone to lose their poo poo if not everyone agrees. It was actually a month or two before someone got permission to start this one started up after everyone had a chance to cool down.

This is the ONLY place I look at and post about parenting junk on the internet because it is the only place I've ever found that isn't filled with weird abbreviations, cutesy terminology and droves of mega-religious people who are afraid that vaccinations will give their babies autism. I'm just saying it would suck for this thread to get closed again, so can we just not argue about this?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I'm planning a trip with a 5 hour plane ride with my four monkeys. The eight year old will be fine. The 3 year old can be cracked out with an ipad, but the one year old...dear lord I think we might get lynched by our fellow travelers. I saw someone on the Internets with people handing out goodie bags with ear plugs and an apology in advance note...

Anyone have advice?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ron Jeremy posted:

I'm planning a trip with a 5 hour plane ride with my four monkeys. The eight year old will be fine. The 3 year old can be cracked out with an ipad, but the one year old...dear lord I think we might get lynched by our fellow travelers. I saw someone on the Internets with people handing out goodie bags with ear plugs and an apology in advance note...

Anyone have advice?

A medicinal dose of whiskey

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
gently caress those goodie bags. Kids are people too and also fly on planes. I don't get goodie bags for the old lady talking too loud 2 aisles behind me. You do your best to keep them chilled out, but part of existing in public is that sometimes people of all ages and sizes will be annoying to you.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Agreed on the plane thing. I have flown 3 times with littledip. We're flying from LAX to NYC in april (redeye) and he'll be about a year and a half. I don't bring goodie bag's for people. I do my best to keep him entertained. I try to plan the flight with a nap time. Then I really hope for another crying baby on the flight so that people will ignore my baby and be upset at the other baby :)

Planes are quite loud so provided your baby isn't screaming at the top of their lungs a little crying is not to bad. Babies have to get places too.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Chickalicious posted:

gently caress those goodie bags. Kids are people too and also fly on planes. I don't get goodie bags for the old lady talking too loud 2 aisles behind me. You do your best to keep them chilled out, but part of existing in public is that sometimes people of all ages and sizes will be annoying to you.

I can see where you're coming from but 5 hours in a confined space is a long time. And my wife and I will be outnumbered 2 to 1. I just want to be considerate. Thinking about a redeye, but the chances at least one kid will be unhappy seems high and being disturbed by a crying child at night seems even worse than a day time flight.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Chickalicious posted:

gently caress those goodie bags. Kids are people too and also fly on planes.

Definitely this.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I can see where you're coming from but 5 hours in a confined space is a long time. And my wife and I will be outnumbered 2 to 1. I just want to be considerate. Thinking about a redeye, but the chances at least one kid will be unhappy seems high and being disturbed by a crying child at night seems even worse than a day time flight.

In my few times flying, I've had mostly sympathetic looks during crying while landing. I've seen the same for others (a mother by herself on an 11 hour flight with three kids). You do your best, that's right and considerate, but your kids have every right to be on that plane. Babies are babies, sometimes they cry.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Speaking of flying, I'm taking kiddo to visit my parents next week. The first time we flew home, she was three months old, and it went great. I popped her on the boob for takeoff and landing, and she just chilled out in my lap for the entire flight (only 1,5 hours, so no big deal). But now she's almost 8 months, and getting her to nurse for takeoff and landing is going to be pretty much impossible. She gets distracted when we're sitting alone at home in a quiet room, not to mention anytime we're out and about, so I doubt she's going to stay focused on a big noisy plane filled with lots of people.
How likely are babies to get blocked ears from air pressure during takeoff and landing? The internet is no help, telling me both that babies have narrower eustachian tubes that don't work as effectively, and that babies don't have problems with air pressure, so I need anecdata.

She never took a pacifier, and at this point I've just thrown them all out so that she doesn't find one now and gets hooked, if I didn't get any benefits from them when she was little, I refuse to go through the hassle of weaning her from them.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Sockmuppet posted:

Speaking of flying, I'm taking kiddo to visit my parents next week. The first time we flew home, she was three months old, and it went great. I popped her on the boob for takeoff and landing, and she just chilled out in my lap for the entire flight (only 1,5 hours, so no big deal). But now she's almost 8 months, and getting her to nurse for takeoff and landing is going to be pretty much impossible. She gets distracted when we're sitting alone at home in a quiet room, not to mention anytime we're out and about, so I doubt she's going to stay focused on a big noisy plane filled with lots of people.
How likely are babies to get blocked ears from air pressure during takeoff and landing? The internet is no help, telling me both that babies have narrower eustachian tubes that don't work as effectively, and that babies don't have problems with air pressure, so I need anecdata.

She never took a pacifier, and at this point I've just thrown them all out so that she doesn't find one now and gets hooked, if I didn't get any benefits from them when she was little, I refuse to go through the hassle of weaning her from them.

Does she take a bottle? Maybe you could give her some water or juice from a bottle or box during takeoff and landing?
I'm dreading this myself, we're flying to Portugal in June, she'll be 16 months by then. We have to change flights two times, so there'll be a lot of takeoff and landings! We've never flown with her before, so I don't know how she'll react. My plan is to bring a bottle of water, anyway.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
My wife was always real concerned to make sure he nursed during take off and landing. It didn't really make a difference if he did or not. He never seems to complain about his ears.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Sockmuppet posted:

The internet is no help, telling me both that babies have narrower eustachian tubes that don't work as effectively, and that babies don't have problems with air pressure, so I need anecdata.

I had four flights with my son when he was six months old, two when he was nine months old, and four when he was fifteen months old. He was in his car seat for all of those, so nursing him wasn't an option during takeoff and landing - and he never really wanted a pacifier or ever put up with drinking from a bottle, so for takeoffs and landings he didn't have anything for his ears aside from toys to chew on, and as far as I could tell the only times he was bothered by the change in altitude was when the landing was bumpier than usual. I was able to let him nurse when the fasten-seatbelts light was off (even for the latest set of flights), so it would have been feasible if I had been just holding him, and I don't remember wishing I could. (Except the one takeoff where he was hungry and was signing MILK, but that was distinctly "Mother, I am experiencing hunger, and you did not immediately give me what I asked for; I am displeased and will now let the entire aircraft know," screaming rather than pained screaming.)

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Awesome, thank you!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
We have flown lots with both our kids at various ages and I have this advice to offer (mostly echoes the comments above):
- don't bother with goodie bags, you're already going to have enough stress dealing with your kid to worry about walking around the plane.
- planes are already super-noisy so tough nuts to anyone that has an issue with a crying baby; they can get earplugs themselves if it really bothers them. Why would you apologize? Have you done something wrong by having a child? I've found most people to be highly tolerable of kids on planes and anyone that's been rude I just ignore. Stewards/esses are also helpful as they mostly think kids are cute and have a vested interest in making sure you're comfortable.
- That said, if for whatever reason you're the kind of person to be self-conscious about your baby being noisy do whatever it takes to be comfortable.
- feeding definitely helps calm the kids while you're taking off but if they're not interested, no big deal. If they're really stuffed up it can get uncomfortable (it does for me!) so try clearing nose before the flight; sucking on anything helps really so if they're not interested in food try a toy or something else they like to chew or suck on. We have one of those rubber Sophie giraffes that is usually a hit.

In short, do whatever you would normally do for a long trip and don't worry about what other people think.

kbdragon
Jun 23, 2012
Ah, planes. My best tip is to have one of those pouches of pureed fruit ready for takeoff and landing. Love those things! Relatively no mess and it gets them to swallow and clear their ears. Be sure to bring them out with the rest of the liquids going through security, though. Never had a problem with evidence it was for a baby - who was usually strapped to me at the time. (Ergo carrier - also love it)

I've flown with my little one when she was 2 mo. (breastfed lap baby that time), 10 mo. (in her own seat + car seat - overseas flight), and 15 mo (had her own seat but mostly was on my lap/running up and down aisles, sigh). Always had helpful people and flight attendants, never anything but sympathetic looks if she got fussy. Or ran into someone.

Actually we're taking a plane trip this weekend. The difference is this time (21 mo.) it's just me and her. Last time I had both Dad and Grandpa to help corral her. I wish I had been more on the ball and got one of those lightweight (light budget) Costco convertible car seats before every Walmart in town sold out, but it's too late now.

My question:
Little one does have her own seat on the plane. Is it worth it to bring her own heavy, bulky convertible car seat onto the plane? Should I just check it right away and be ready to chase her? Or should I leave the car seat at home, chase her, and rent one at our destination with the rental car we're already getting?
Anyone have experience with rental car seats?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
When we flew with Tim, when he was just shy of two, we used a Sit N Stroll. I got a used one off Ebay for about $150. Since we were on a cramped Southwest plane, we couldn't push it down the plane aisle as we had intended (and as it's designed for in larger planes) but it was super convenient to have as a stroller around the airport, then right into his seat, then back to stroller and then strapped into the rental SUV. Really, really nice to have one piece of equipment to serve all needs.

Edit: We took him out, carried him and the seat to our seats, then put it all together again. I'm sure a flight attendant would help you. :)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I personally think it's easier for tiny children to fall asleep and be comfortable in a semi-reclined car seat instead of a big person's seat. The Cosco Scenera is $39 and incredibly light--we tied ours to our rolling luggage without a problem.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

kbdragon posted:

My question:
Little one does have her own seat on the plane. Is it worth it to bring her own heavy, bulky convertible car seat onto the plane? Should I just check it right away and be ready to chase her? Or should I leave the car seat at home, chase her, and rent one at our destination with the rental car we're already getting?

It's totally worth it - rental seats are sometimes gross, checking it might result in it getting damaged, and people are likely to be helpful at least as far as getting the seat to her own assigned seat. (If it's a Radian RXT, don't try and get a bag for it if you do end up taking it on the plane - get something you can tie it to or put it on top of and wheel it around.)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

kbdragon posted:

Ah, planes. My best tip is to have one of those pouches of pureed fruit ready for takeoff and landing. Love those things! Relatively no mess and it gets them to swallow and clear their ears. Be sure to bring them out with the rest of the liquids going through security, though. Never had a problem with evidence it was for a baby - who was usually strapped to me at the time. (Ergo carrier - also love it)

I've flown with my little one when she was 2 mo. (breastfed lap baby that time), 10 mo. (in her own seat + car seat - overseas flight), and 15 mo (had her own seat but mostly was on my lap/running up and down aisles, sigh). Always had helpful people and flight attendants, never anything but sympathetic looks if she got fussy. Or ran into someone.

Actually we're taking a plane trip this weekend. The difference is this time (21 mo.) it's just me and her. Last time I had both Dad and Grandpa to help corral her. I wish I had been more on the ball and got one of those lightweight (light budget) Costco convertible car seats before every Walmart in town sold out, but it's too late now.

My question:

Without getting into the original derail, absolutely bring and use the car seat on the flight if it fits.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

kbdragon posted:

My question:

When I flew by myself with my son, a flight attendant happily sat and played with him while I got his seat installed. I had him in an Ergo when boarding the plane and carried the car seat in front of us. We also had these wheels that you could LATCH the car seat to that were fantastic. I highly recommend them (we had the Britax brand, I believe).

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
We've used rental car seats several times. Never had any issues, and if it's gross just take it back (never had one that was gross). We find the hassle of bringing the seat to be sufficient to outweigh any benefit of having it on the plane. Note also that not all airlines will allow infant car seats on planes so you might be forced to check it anyways.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Kalenn Istarion posted:

We've used rental car seats several times. Never had any issues, and if it's gross just take it back (never had one that was gross). We find the hassle of bringing the seat to be sufficient to outweigh any benefit of having it on the plane. Note also that not all airlines will allow infant car seats on planes so you might be forced to check it anyways.

In the US, it is illegal for the airline to not allow an FAA approved car seat on a flight if you have purchased a seat. Most, if not all, infant seats are FAA approved.

kbdragon
Jun 23, 2012
Went to Wally World across town and they actually had the Costco Scenera seat in stock. Yay! That thing is LIGHT!! I also like that it's completely self contained - no buckles to put in baggies, everything straps to somewhere that's not in the way. Even the instruction booklet has a nice, secure spot. Using the tether strap I can sling it on my back, no problem. Unless that's where I'm carrying the little one in the Ergo. Hmmmmm...one more decision.

That $40 will be well worth NOT having to lug the big monster seat she usually uses on the plane.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback everyone! Now I only have to worry about the plane's supply of airsick bags. Morning sickness SUCKS - but Grandma and Great-Grandma will be so surprised!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

skeetied posted:

In the US, it is illegal for the airline to not allow an FAA approved car seat on a flight if you have purchased a seat. Most, if not all, infant seats are FAA approved.

Good to know, I do not live in the US and the rules are very different where I live and in many other countries, so just mentioning it as something to keep in mind.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

kbdragon posted:

Anyway, thanks for the feedback everyone! Now I only have to worry about the plane's supply of airsick bags. Morning sickness SUCKS - but Grandma and Great-Grandma will be so surprised!

Gin Gins hard candies got me through a plane trip at 15 weeks when I was still horribly sick (and medicated for it).

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
Hey guys, I got a question. My 9 month old son likes to grind his teeth all the time, and at first I thought nothing of it, never expecting anything serious would become of it. Yesterday I noticed he managed to chip a chunk of one of his lower teeth, damaging hisprecious little pearly whites even before he used them for anything worth mentioning.
Now, it's not like he doesn't have chewing toys, he loves them and chews on them regulary, but he still grinds his teeth and I'm a bit concerned that he'll damage them even more.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Mister Blueberry posted:

Hey guys, I got a question. My 9 month old son likes to grind his teeth all the time, and at first I thought nothing of it, never expecting anything serious would become of it. Yesterday I noticed he managed to chip a chunk of one of his lower teeth, damaging hisprecious little pearly whites even before he used them for anything worth mentioning.
Now, it's not like he doesn't have chewing toys, he loves them and chews on them regulary, but he still grinds his teeth and I'm a bit concerned that he'll damage them even more.

You might want to contact a pediatric dentist about having the chipped tooth sealed. There's not much they're going to do about tooth grinding in a child that young (and by not much I really mean nothing). My son's got a crossbite and managed to wear two of his teeth down to about half their typical height. When I asked his dentist about it, she said he's too young for any kind of bite plate or anything, and "it's just the baby teeth, those can get worn right down to the gumline, it's no big deal - they're going to fall out anyway." Teeth grinding is incredibly common in babies and small children and the great majority of them grow out of it before the age of 6. Until then, it's a matter of keeping an eye on the wear to seal them if needed, and providing alternatives like teethers and other things to chew on. If your child is not normally a grinder and suddenly starts, it can be an indicator of pain (like teething or earache).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well the boys went to the hospital last night for a pretty thorough developmental checkout, both had blood drawn from their fingers and my god did they ever scream and cry. Long and short of the developmental tests (fysioterapist played with the boys and tested their reactions, reflexes, motor skills, etc) and all in all they are quite normal, not where a 6 month old baby would be, but take off the two months they where born early and they're right on track.

We took them to visit the nurses in the neonatal intensive care where they spent their first months of their lives and everyone was real happy to see them again and how they'd grown, also gave them a big thank you card with photos of the boys that they could put up in the break room :)

Also found out that the genetic tests where, strangely, negative on Holt-Oram syndrome, and every other syndrome too they have tested for all came back negative, can't find any genetic abnormalities. It's supposed to be a mutation of a single gene. So yay they're both perfectly normal genetically from what the tests can find out, though they are still gonna continue testing in other labs in europe now. Their cause for their hypoplastic thumbs & VSDs is back to being a mystery though again.

From a local "baby gathering" for moms, serious boy overload there, 8 boys and 2 girls:

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
FYI - don't watch True Detective. It has been the hardest thing for me to watch, now that I'm a parent. I gave my kids extra hugs and kisses last night after watching a few episodes.

There should be some kind of trauma rating for parents, to warn of the harm done to children in a particular TV episode or movie.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

VorpalBunny posted:

FYI - don't watch True Detective. It has been the hardest thing for me to watch, now that I'm a parent. I gave my kids extra hugs and kisses last night after watching a few episodes.

There should be some kind of trauma rating for parents, to warn of the harm done to children in a particular TV episode or movie.

I'm finding myself especially affected by stuff like this too. I found news stories or TV plots involving violence against children disturbing before I had a baby, but now I'm a parent it is really hard to deal with. If anyone has any tips on how to better handle this issue I'd like to hear from you.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We tried to watch Six Feet Under, which is an amazing show, but TOO MANY DEAD BABIES!

Counselor Sugarbutt
Feb 8, 2010

VorpalBunny posted:

Seriously. Not sure if anyone wants to see this movie, but there is a very traumatic scene involving death of children in the movie "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf". I knew it wouldn't be a feel good movie, but was definitely not prepared for what I saw.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

bee posted:

I'm finding myself especially affected by stuff like this too. I found news stories or TV plots involving violence against children disturbing before I had a baby, but now I'm a parent it is really hard to deal with. If anyone has any tips on how to better handle this issue I'd like to hear from you.

Me too. :( For better or worse, I started practicing avoidance. An ugly headline is enough information for me. I don't find my sensitivity transferred over to fiction, but I really, really avoid news stories about abuse or foster system fail or stuff like that. Reading about displaced refugees (Syrian, and others) is bad enough. I just see my kids in every one of their faces...

I find it helps to light a candle, rather than just curse the darkness. Even if it's just finding some extra patience within yourself when dealing with your own kids, or giving them an extra hug. Donate Something to Somewhere to help Anything--food, time, things, whatever. No one person can change the world alone, but nothing ever changes if we all throw up our hands and do nothing. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

VorpalBunny posted:

My wife and I have been watching Criminal Minds lately (through season 6) and it's the same way. It's hard watching the episodes where some serial killer kills a whole family or other harm comes to the kids.