Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

So I have a question, and honestly here is just as good as anywhere to ask...

I actually want to be "good" at LP, I want to make 12k a year, and I want the attention. I've done a couple of screenshot LPs, and I have a lot of fun doing it. What would you guys say constitutes a "good" LP. I've noticed other SA LP'rs will throw in "FundMe" links in their description, asking for people to donate a buck or two. How far is too far where SA is concerned? If I am doing an LP to ultimately have a good LP, but want to be popular can I still post it here? (Obviously, not an already finished LP trying to whore for views, but where is the line drawn?)

Basically the difference is that here people want you to make an LP that isn't lovely; the focus is on the game, at least theoretically. On Youtube, it's about being an entertaining personality (or girl, or have a funny accent) among other things, but it's all aimed at growing your channel rather than making a good LP of a game you love/hate/thing is interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I really like that you have Diabetus on speed dial. This will add a lot to my fan fiction.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I actually watched a bit of a Monaco video where PDP was one of the players; he really seemed not that bad when playing a regular game with people for someone else's channel. The only thing that's kind of annoying about him at that point is that the way he speaks makes him sound like he's five; like his mouth isn't used to forming proper words yet.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

slowbeef posted:

Submitted for your approval:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTtpLmZwJ0s

Markiplier. Discuss.

429 comments in less than an hour. Jesus Christ.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
I'm honestly surprised there aren't as many dislikes bombarded on the video and Marki fans throwing tantrums in the comments. Perhaps his fanbase isn't as rabid as Pewdiepie's, which is a bit of a plus I suppose. From what I've read, some of them are actually kinda okay with the criticism. Unless, of course, all of them haven't discovered it yet. Kinda a bit too early to tell if there will be a shitstorm.

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

I actually watched a bit of a Monaco video where PDP was one of the players; he really seemed not that bad when playing a regular game with people for someone else's channel. The only thing that's kind of annoying about him at that point is that the way he speaks makes him sound like he's five; like his mouth isn't used to forming proper words yet.

Maybe it's his accent? I haven't watched the video so I wouldn't know of course.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADs6l9E0HyU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjOWt1rBw1E

The fanbase of Super Best Friends are loving nuts...and rich if these two videos are anything to go by.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

slowbeef posted:

Markiplier. Discuss.
I'm staring to realize, people that get the most subs in YT scream like a little girl. It's starting to make sense!

TaurusOxford posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADs6l9E0HyU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjOWt1rBw1E

The fanbase of Super Best Friends are loving nuts...and rich if these two videos are anything to go by.
Fans are indeed mental. Between Game Grumps and 2BFP, fans are outrageously willing to give away poo poo.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Capt. J. Linebeck posted:

Maybe it's his accent? I haven't watched the video so I wouldn't know of course.

See for yourself.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

DialTheDude posted:

I'm honestly surprised there aren't as many dislikes bombarded on the video and Marki fans throwing tantrums in the comments.

It's probably past most of his fans' bedtime.

When Slowbeef tweeted about potential Marki vids to RP, I came across this, where something "scary" happens at about 3:45. Is it just me, or does his reaction to the monster seem a little delayed? I noticed it way before he screamed. The rest of the video is him alternating between his normal voice (which is actually really nice, dunno if I mentioned that before), and hyperventilating moron-speak. He also sounds excited to get his hands on an Oculus Rift near the end.

I know people keep saying how he's almost the worst of the worst, but he just seems like another "bad YouTube famous LPer" to me. DPD and DSP are way worse, to me. Granted, I don't know if he's much of a shithead like DSP is, but I don't really see it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You know i can ALMOST imagine sombody reacting like that to what is essentially a jump scare, some people scare really easily.

But what is up with him sounding like he's yawning or about to sneeze right afterwards? It's almost like he's faking :aaaaa: I can already see the "why'd you do this? he's a nice guy/not as bad as pewdiepie/donates to charity" comments

Is donating to charity the new thing nowadays to show the internet that you're a good person? Yes the money goes to a good cause and that's always nice but it just seems like a bit of a get out jail free card.

Also also, what is the deal with the his dad dying thing?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Is donating to charity the new thing nowadays to show the internet that you're a good person? Yes the money goes to a good cause and that's always nice but it just seems like a bit of a get out jail free card.

Donating to charity is just used as an excuse for someone that is a dick. I mean, Vince McMahon (the owner of the WWE) is a loving lunatic and has done some super lovely things but then he pays rehab for former employees & donates millions to the special olympics.

tldr, doing some nice things doesn't excuse being a dick the majority of the time.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

heytallman posted:

The rest of the video is him alternating between his normal voice (which is actually really nice, dunno if I mentioned that before)

Dude sounds like the cowardly lion.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

My favourite thing in this vein are the people who brag about donating to charity because it's tax deductible as if it's some huge selfless act, that just so happens to benefit yourself massively.

Mazo Panku
Nov 30, 2013

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?

slowbeef posted:

This is the funny thing; watching some of his stuff for this, it seems like he actually "studied" PewDiePie and just tries to hit all the notes.

The one difference is he doesn't go as X-rated with the commentary. PDP will throw in a "suck my black dick" every now and again, but Markiplier just seems like he'll go as far as "Ah my balls." I'm calling him as the next Tobuscus.

I'm pretty certain you've seen this, unless it was somehow pushed out of your periphery by the sheer volume of stuff the guy posts. I'd have to agree with your theory, since he seems like a fairly intelligent guy when he's not doing the nonsensical screaming thing and his Nidhogg match with Tobuscus is nearly entirely nonsensical screaming. In stereo.

This is what the kids like these days, eh? Well, if it's enough for Mark to move out to California and for The Creatures to all come here to Colorado to do their thing together, more power to 'em. That said, who wants to get together on Skype to play terrible horror games and scream childish insults at each other for a little while? I could use some beer money.

Funny story by the way: I met up with an old friend to hang out for the first time in a while, several months ago. We had this crazy, long-running conversation that went from Payday 2 to Markiplier to terrible videogame-based creepypasta. It was freezing in the middle of the night outside of a restaurant and instead of parting ways and heading to warmer climes we stood outside for an hour and talked about video games and internet culture.

My friend agreed with my theory that nearly all game-based creepypasta is total poo poo, due to the combination of ridiculous premises and subpar writing skill, but he said he still knew at least one actually good one that gave him chills. As I listened to his synopsis, I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd heard the story before. Halfway through, it hit me:

The story he was describing was I HATE YOU.

REALISTIC BLOOD.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

Mazo Panku posted:

Terrible videogame-based creepypasta.

I actually came up with the perfect crime yesterday. If I had the sadism and the know-how, I would take some harmless old game like Mario or Pokemon, hack the game to include all manner of hosed up poo poo that would give dumb people nightmares, and distribute about 50 copies of it.

Even better, I would code said game so that it only does terrifying poo poo on the first playthrough. So when the now-frightened players (who I assume will switch it off in horror) try to show the messed up game off to people it will play just fine.

The real kicker? If they try to tell people over the internet, people will just roll their eyes and assume it's a terrible video-game based creepypasta without any video evidence. It'd be like a horrible boy-who-cried-wolf situation that would make the player feel even more like they're being haunted. TRUE HORROR.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mr DJB posted:

I actually came up with the perfect crime yesterday.
An indie developer Cactus released a "dungeon" five years ago.
An ordinarily looking pixelated platformer... What nobody knew was that the game deliberately introduced errors based on your hardware checksum, or something. Some got reduced jump height, some got instantkill water, some got slowdown, some had no bugs at all (see thread). After the "You don't know how to play!" dust began to settle in the forums, he released "clarity", which was the same game, only it ran perfectly for everyone, and at the end it displayed the list of all possible glitches, and the one you were getting in dungeon.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

slowbeef posted:

This is the funny thing; watching some of his stuff for this, it seems like he actually "studied" PewDiePie and just tries to hit all the notes.

The one difference is he doesn't go as X-rated with the commentary. PDP will throw in a "suck my black dick" every now and again, but Markiplier just seems like he'll go as far as "Ah my balls." I'm calling him as the next Tobuscus.

Markiplier has a bunch of videos where he plays with PDP, actually, so if anything their styles mesh together in this horrible mush of poo poo that looks like the food they made for Robocop in the original movie.

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

An indie developer Cactus released a "dungeon" five years ago.
An ordinarily looking pixelated platformer... What nobody knew was that the game deliberately introduced errors based on your hardware checksum, or something. Some got reduced jump height, some got instantkill water, some got slowdown, some had no bugs at all (see thread). After the "You don't know how to play!" dust began to settle in the forums, he released "clarity", which was the same game, only it ran perfectly for everyone, and at the end it displayed the list of all possible glitches, and the one you were getting in dungeon.

There was a race of that game done in the Racing thread actually. It's a pretty good video.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Markiplier's twitter title thing is "Professional Screamer". At least he's self-aware?

e: and there's someone in the comments talking about eras of retsupurae apparently? I mean, long effort posts about lp can be occasionally interesting if they actually say something; but I think we can all agree that there is no need to analyse something which at its heart is people talking over people talking over video games.

On the effort post thing since its come up a few times: the reason why I think a few of us are a little dismissive of huge effort posts on LP (or anything) is because there are people who manage to have the ability to write 1000 words but not really say anything. If its someone like slowbeef writing a bunch of stuff then its usually interesting, but when its generic lp only poster 45 writing an essay to pretty much say "dsp is bad"; then it gets pretty tiring. Not been too much of that in this thread; but its pretty common on other places - I've found youtube comments on the pewdiepie rp of people writing thousands of words and coming to the conclusion of "people like what they like".

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 7, 2014

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Testekill posted:

tldr, doing some nice things doesn't excuse being a dick the majority of the time.

I think you need to narrow down what you mean by "excuse", exactly. Donating to charity/helping former employees/etc won't make me want to watch something insufferably annoying, like wrestling or PDP, but it does make me wonder whether they are, in fact, a decent human being. Phil is annoying, uncreative and bad at games, but the thing that gets me is that he tried to gently caress over people that enjoyed his content and tried to help him, to the tune of a couple grand.

Actions speak louder than words and other similar cliches do tend to ring true for me.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Capt. J. Linebeck posted:

There was a race of that game done in the Racing thread actually. It's a pretty good video.

You don't happen to have a link to it, do you? I'm not seeing it in the current thread's long list of videos.

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

Onean posted:

You don't happen to have a link to it, do you? I'm not seeing it in the current thread's long list of videos.

It's listed as "Mystery Race", under the additional content section. It's one of the bonus races that was done during the days of the Meat Boy races.

VampireWatermelon
Jul 16, 2012

ALFRED! Take me to Joker's hideout!
So this is a LP of Extermination.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBTfFbnkqBg

The gimmick is that the fellow playing the game has guest stars and all of them are supposed to be in character. The problem is that they all either break character, or fail to even act like they are in character so frequently, that it just seems like a bunch of crazy people. The fellow with the high pitched voice is supposed to be a bridge troll.

You may be wondering how I know all of this. Simple, his channel features live action skits that introduce all the characters.
https://www.youtube.com/user/InnSannaTea?feature=watch

The LP will be torture, listening to their endless chatter, but try to hold out until they get into a shouting match over who does the best Cartman voice. Troll seems to have an obsessive compulsion to show off how good he thinks he is with voices.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Onean posted:

Here's the link for anyone else who's interested

I always wondered why voiceofdog's footage was slow as hell.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 7, 2014

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

slowbeef posted:

Markiplier. Discuss.

I don't really understand why he's so successful, in all honesty. PDP has the "crude, immature humor" + screaming, TobyGames has the "really funny voices" + screaming, Markiplier has...screaming.

I guess you could consider "holy balls" to be crude humor? I really don't know what he's going for. Also, great that the guy donates to charity. Doesn't make you immune to criticism, though. I'm sure this will be brought up many, many times in the YouTube comments, once school is out.

Speaking of TobyGames, how can anyone watch this and not notice how blatantly fake it is? He goes from headset-throwing anger to, "Thanks for watching, guys! :)"

As for that Extermination video, I dunno if I can last too much longer. I like how they were initially quiet for the cutscene, then couldn't hold back anymore. It's a shame, because the game seems kinda interesting.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I used to watch Tobuscus pretty regularly. I understood he wasn't really like that, but I found him amusing anyway.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Aurain posted:

My favourite thing in this vein are the people who brag about donating to charity because it's tax deductible as if it's some huge selfless act, that just so happens to benefit yourself massively.

The purpose of making it tax-deductible is an incentive to get people to contribute to charities.

It's more money going to charities than would go otherwise. Though not all charities are great and use money responsibly, as I have learned the hard way...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, and that's an awesome thing.
I mean the people who use it to stroke their own egos exclusively.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Aurain posted:

Yeah, and that's an awesome thing.
I mean the people who use it to stroke their own egos exclusively.

For example: PewDiePie mentioning that he isn't in to LPing for the money because he gives some of it to charity and does charity drives. If you are at the point you need to tell people "no, it's cool, I donate to charity" it just seems like you do it so you have some tangible thing to point to when people say you are all about making a profit.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Just curious here, how much of his revenue does he give to charity? If it's around 60% then you could validly say he's not really LPing for money, since he takes what he needs to be sustainable, and passes the rest on.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

VampireWatermelon posted:

The gimmick is that the fellow playing the game has guest stars and all of them are supposed to be in character. The problem is that they all either break character, or fail to even act like they are in character so frequently, that it just seems like a bunch of crazy people. The fellow with the high pitched voice is supposed to be a bridge troll.

You may be wondering how I know all of this. Simple, his channel features live action skits that introduce all the characters.

The LP will be torture, listening to their endless chatter, but try to hold out until they get into a shouting match over who does the best Cartman voice. Troll seems to have an obsessive compulsion to show off how good he thinks he is with voices.

You've shown this to me before, and I still can't wrap my head around it. It's such a godawful idea from conception to execution. Like, some guy tries to be the Mad Hatter? And he has a tea party with a bridge troll and a woman who doesn't really have a character? And they play video games during this?

Not a lot of this poo poo comes through in the actual LP because they probably realize how terrible the idea is (besides the guy constantly doing that loving voice) but they go through with it anyway. It's the stupidest bullshit I've heard in a while, but I have to hand it to them, it sounds like something out of a Lewis Carroll book.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Genuine question: is it just me who gets confused at the whole "Lets play isn't what it used to be..." thing you find in some youtube videos; usually those about pewdiepie or other youtube superstars? Like, with some exceptions, LP outside SA has always been a cesspool of crap; its just now its commercialised rubbish with face cams and screaming rather than kids camcordering their computer monitor to LP Super Mario. Its definitely more over saturated than it was; and the 'popular' guys are generally more obnoxious (as is the rule with internet celebrities); but its not like the amount of good content produced has gone down, its probably still the same proportion as it was. Hell, I remember the days that people moaned about the likes of chuggaaconroy and demanded that he be RPd because he was a youtube star and thus ruining LP for the smaller guys. Its always been the same, and people are mourning the golden age of youtube LPs...

What I'm saying is I'm expecting PewDiePie to appear on retsutalk in a few years once his star has wained and people's attention has moved onto the next big thing; like videos of cat juggling or something...

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

IceAgeComing posted:

What I'm saying is I'm expecting PewDiePie to appear on retsutalk in a few years

I think I burned the gently caress outta that bridge!!!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

VampireWatermelon posted:

I'm reminded of this old video Chip and Ironicus did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFAy-Ajua8g

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

IceAgeComing posted:

Genuine question: is it just me who gets confused at the whole "Lets play isn't what it used to be..." thing you find in some youtube videos; usually those about pewdiepie or other youtube superstars?

The thing is that LPs have changed pretty significantly in just the last few years. The rise of LPing as a profession and the explosion of people trying to make money off playing games for the internet has probably not helped people's opinions of LPs today versus when they were done by a much smaller group of people attempting to showcase a game.

Today you have a bunch of Me Too people attempting to ape the most successful LPers or people doing things like giveaways and raffles if they reach a certain number of likes, subscribes and shares on their Super Mario LP because at the end of the day many people are getting into LPing as a business as the genre of video gains more popularity.

Though it's hilarious to see them fail, especially when someone wants a stupid number of likes or begs for subs, every day more and more people are out there trying to become the next PewDiePie or EthosLab because it seems like easy money.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Huh, is EthosLab still kickin' around? I remember enjoying his videos for a while a year or two back.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Roar posted:

Huh, is EthosLab still kickin' around? I remember enjoying his videos for a while a year or two back.

Yes, he's incredibly dull and unfunny, but my fiancee thinks he's really entertaining for some reason.

This was how she came to tell me the story of why he doesn't show his face ever. Apparently a fan got really obsessed, gleaned every scrap of information he could about the guy from his videos and other people's videos that causally mentioned something about Etho and then showed up at his family's business looking for the guy.

Also some insane Reddit guy named his kid Etho so yeaaaaahhh

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Lazyfire posted:

Yes, he's incredibly dull and unfunny, but my fiancee thinks he's really entertaining for some reason.

For what I remember, he's pretty good at building projects and poo poo and tends to cut out a lot of boring stuff, so he's got that going for him. If you like watching people play with square blocks for thirty minutes at a time, that is.

Though why people enjoy him enough to go to that level of creepy stalking is beyond me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Roar posted:

Though why people enjoy him enough to go to that level of creepy stalking is beyond me

That kind of thing just has a tendency to happen whenever one gets even a modicum of popularity. Hell, Chip Cheezum is on the lower end of internet fame and just last year someone got ahold of his grandparents' phone number and called them trying to get ahold of him.

• Locked thread