Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Sebastian Vettel posted:

If I wanted to leave the country while my ARC is being renewed, how would I do that?

Do they still have your passport?

------

Last Call for Poker - 8PM Tonight

First deal at 8PM, please arrive a bit earlier if you wanna eat, introductions etc.
Cash game, 100NT$ buy in, repeat as necessary.

Last deal will be 11~ so we can divvy up, settle the beer bill, and have a little time to shoot the breeze.

The usual guff:
Zhongshan N Rd. Section 2, Alley 115 No. 15
中山北路二段115巷15號

Name of the place is 川娃子

If you Google Maps the address it will show the proper place, more or less. There's a big red and white sign with 川娃子 on it out front. If you're going north on Zhongshan Rd, take a right at the tiny alley in front of Mr. Onion and it's just a bit down that alley. Prepare to buy-in for at least 100NT. Beer and food are available for non-exorbitant prices. My number is 0970229902 if you get lost/need me to LINE you a location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Sebastian Vettel posted:

If I wanted to leave the country while my ARC is being renewed, how would I do that?
Are you already in the process of renewing? If you still have it, and it's valid through your trip, you may be able to apply for renewal, but hold on to the "old" ARC for your trip. When you pick up the new one, you turn in the old one. I had to do this for some other thing that required my ARC, though I didn't have to leave the country so YMMV.(ask them when you renew)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I have my passport but not my arc. Something's come up and I need to leave for a few days.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Sebastian Vettel posted:

I have my passport but not my arc. Something's come up and I need to leave for a few days.

do you have the letter/reciept telling you that you have paid, and what day to collect the ARC, if so, I'd carry those with your passport so you don't confuse the entry visa checking guy at the airport.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Hello from the China thread! I’ve been living and teaching in the PRC for the last three years, and I want to defect to the KMT. There’s a lot I like about China, but there’s a lot that I don’t like, too, and the incivilities of this place have become too much to be comfortable with, so I want to relocate to Taiwan starting sometime in August or September. Goons usually have a pretty good understanding of what the situation on the ground is like, so I thought I’d ask here about employment and hopefully make some new friends as well. I’m a tall, handsomish white guy (it matters in China, not sure about Taiwan), hold a B.A. in English and an M.A. in Literature, speak conversational Mandarin, and have six years of university teaching experience—three in the US and three in China. I’m searching, ideally, for another university position, something in a university of technology language lab, for instance, but I’d like to get in country by the end of the summer with some sort of job, so I’d be interested to hear from anyone who is happy with his or her job or thinks they might have good advice. I prefer adults to children and good working hours and conditions to money. Help a goon brother escape the red menace! Let him use facebook in the land of betel nuts and cute accents!

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language

Spiderjelly posted:

Hello from the China thread! I’ve been living and teaching in the PRC for the last three years, and I want to defect to the KMT.

Whoa there buddy, the Kuomintang may cling to the name "Republic of China" literally decades after its expiration date, but they haven't reached the point of wackiness where "KMT" itself is literally another name for Taiwan. The horrors.

I don't teach English so I can't actually answer your question, although Taiwan has far too many universities for its own size so I am sure you will be able to find something

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

hitension posted:

Whoa there buddy, the Kuomintang may cling to the name "Republic of China" literally decades after its expiration date, but they haven't reached the point of wackiness where "KMT" itself is literally another name for Taiwan. The horrors.

I don't teach English so I can't actually answer your question, although Taiwan has far too many universities for its own size so I am sure you will be able to find something

Indeed you're right, but I was thinking in terms of historical defections from the communist party to the nationalists. I should have said Chinese Taipei, my bad. :china:

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Spiderjelly posted:

I should have said Chinese Taipei, my bad. :china:

Looking forward to the day when I can visit Taiwanese Beijing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Also I have no idea how PMs work in Awful Betamax, so apologies if I sent like three empty replies.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Spiderjelly posted:

Hello from the Bad China thread! I’ve been living and teaching in Bad China for the last three years, and I want to defect to Good China.

There we go.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Moon Slayer posted:

There we go.

pro fix.

a good copy edit right there.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I dunno, I see KMT flags all over Taipei. Even on government buildings and stuff. It's like they use the party flag to represent the country itself even.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Bloodnose posted:

I dunno, I see KMT flags all over Taipei. Even on government buildings and stuff. It's like they use the party flag to represent the country itself even.

Problem??

I see Lone-Star & confederate flags all over the shop.
I seen said flags done get burned.
I see a bit of cloth as a bit of cloth and don't attribute any meaning to it.

I'm not clear..... Call it,....., please.

url fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 8, 2014

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Moon Slayer posted:

There we go.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

url posted:

Problem??

I see Lone-Star & confederate flags all over the shop.
I seen said flags done get burned.
I see a bit of cloth as a bit of cloth and don't attribute any meaning to it.

I'm not clear..... Call it,....., please.

Yeah china has a hammer and sickle on their flag but that's kinda meaningless.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
How strict is the 2 year experience requirement for people coming over with a BA? Can I make 2 years my work-related life sound valuable, or do those 2 years need to be directly related to the job? Obviously, it would be awesome if it all just happened to be related, but that sadly isn't always the case :/

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So the new Diablo patch is awesome.

Turns out, the creator of one of the big goon group is HappyHelmet.

Too bad he's not in Taiwan anymore. He's just being playing video games all day long :goonsay:

Small world.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

moflika posted:

How strict is the 2 year experience requirement for people coming over with a BA? Can I make 2 years my work-related life sound valuable, or do those 2 years need to be directly related to the job? Obviously, it would be awesome if it all just happened to be related, but that sadly isn't always the case :/

Rules don't really apply if a company wants to hire you. It might cost them a bit more, but still doable under one provision or another. I know a couple people who were hired straight out of college into high paying jobs in Taiwan due to some connections.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

moflika posted:

It is a requirement at most corporations. The same corporation may or (more likely) may not expend the time/resources on checking. Same with all things, you gamble to your best ability, you win/you lose.

I don't suggest you bullshit too far beyond your skill, the 90 day trial thing does hold water, and word does travel in a small city like Taipei.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
Good to know! I wouldn't be comfortable lying to the point to where I'm no longer even sure that I can hack it at some job. That bit of flexibility means I can take my two years on farms and "translate" them into skills that would be valued in an office environment. No lies, just tailoring.

If I had to just lay it all out with no spin, then most people would be like :what:

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Magna Kaser posted:

Yeah china has a hammer and sickle on their flag but that's kinda meaningless.

:britain:

Late, but on the topic of 'rogue' states, the UK is 'allowing' Scotland to decide to discuss secession.

a) iirc, a poll (not the posh name) isn't enforceable
b) what will phil-the-greek be called?

It's all a bit silly really, but, it distracts from the crippling poverty and floods, so that's nice.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Every Englishmen I've talked to on the subject dismisses the Scottish independence movement out of hand. It's actually a fun way to start a conversation with Brits I've never met because they all seem to get so disproportionately angry about it.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Atlas Hugged posted:

Every Englishmen I've talked to on the subject dismisses the Scottish independence movement out of hand. It's actually a fun way to start a conversation with Brits I've never met because they all seem to get so disproportionately angry about it.

I'd agree. It seems more like a re-negotiation of terms than anything else.
The whole dis-appropriating a royal of a title...I'm just not sure that would be allowed.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

My coworker just had a baby and told us he named it 李宗瑞。 After the whole office went :stonk: he is now going to find a new name for his son.

That's my Taiwan-related moment of the day!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

We're just envious.

When I arrived here I got a Chunghwa SIM card, and they say they can't give me internet access (laptop or phone) without an ARC. Is there a way around it, or do I just have to wait?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Magna Kaser posted:

My coworker just had a baby and told us he named it 李宗瑞。 After the whole office went :stonk: he is now going to find a new name for his son.

There are so few Chinese names that everyone probably has the same name as somebody who did something horrible.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Bloodnose posted:

There are so few Chinese names that everyone probably has the same name as somebody who did something horrible.

Yeah and when this kid gets old enough no one will probably remember who that is, but right now people are still on it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Bloodnose posted:

Really? I thought you could basically name your kid anything you wanted.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Much as in English, you can name your kid anything you want within reason as long as it doesn't sound bad, but in practice people keep using the same drat names over and over again. 宗 and 瑞 are both super common characters; it's like the Patrick of Chinese names.

Vaguely related:
http://ris.penghu.gov.tw/makun/file/1010705-EE.pdf

quote:

REMINDER:
If this is the first time you adopt a
Chinese name, please pay attention!
1. Use the same Chinese name for all
registrations.
2. Please avoid inappropriate words such as:
豬角 (pig knuckle), 蝦 (shrimp), 罔市 (fed
whatever), 色 (pervert), 肖維(crazy), 死
(dead) and 老爾 (old), etc

Don't call yourself Perverted Old Shrimp! Remember, the Ministry of the Interior Cares About You.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Well I mean "Charles" is a common name but if you last name was "Manson" you'd probably have second thoughts about naming your kid that.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

House Louse posted:

We're just envious.

When I arrived here I got a Chunghwa SIM card, and they say they can't give me internet access (laptop or phone) without an ARC. Is there a way around it, or do I just have to wait?

Have a friend buy it for you?

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

When I first arrived I was able to get a pay as you go plan with 2 forms of ID (passport + state ID/license) at Chunghwa, and I believe Taiwan Dageda only requires one form

I use the internet on my phone a LOT and I still end up paying like $100/mo only somehow (pay for 1 G of data at a time) so I'd suggest looking into it~

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

url posted:

b) what will phil-the-greek be called?
Much the same as he is now, I imagine: "that arse".

Atlas Hugged posted:

Really? I thought you could basically name your kid anything you wanted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-bwKKx0vwo&t=120s

sub supau fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 11, 2014

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
when is the main hiring season for english teaching work in Taiwan?

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

I am OK posted:

when is the main hiring season for english teaching work in Taiwan?

It's actually pretty evenly distributed. Perhaps a little higher in the late summer but it's not really worth either putting off or scrambling to make.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
Is there anything like ALT positions in Taiwan or is it all cram schools?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

I am OK posted:

Is there anything like ALT positions in Taiwan or is it all cram schools?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assistant_Language_Teacher

This? No, if you want to teach at an actual high school or something you need some kind of teaching certification.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

There are programs such as Fulbright and Princeton in Asia which have placements in public schools if you are a go-getter

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of anything going on down south at the Agricultural Biotechnology Park in the Pintung area? There seems to be plenty of links to orgs with some info in English, but it seems like all :words: and very few companies actually setting up and getting stuff done. Hard to tell if its just another empty pilot zone. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

moflika posted:

Anyone know of anything going on down south at the Agricultural Biotechnology Park in the Pintung area? There seems to be plenty of links to orgs with some info in English, but it seems like all :words: and very few companies actually setting up and getting stuff done. Hard to tell if its just another empty pilot zone. :/

I live in Pingtung and never heard of the thing. But we have a spare bedroom if you want to come down and check it out you can have a place to stay.