Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
:CryingWaffle:

Are there any studies on exactly why Belgium's so congested? I usually hear it's due to us being literally the crossroads of NW Europe but I'd like to see something more substantial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Most traffic is local and regional so the crossroads argument is highly overblown.

Do you want to look at it from a comparative historical perspective? I wrote my MA Economic History thesis on why it used to be bad in the Randstad Holland, compared to the Rhein-Ruhr and the Flemish Diamond, but Belgian congestion has had a turn for the worse while increasing road capacity seems to have massively *helped* here in the NL.

e: can you read Dutch?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Jazeker!

You can PM it to me if you want to.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'm also interested (and Dutch).

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
PMs sent. If you guys find anything noteworthy I'll parse it into the thread.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
I just spent a week reading this thread. A week. I'll admit to scrolling through a fair amount after the first 150 pages, but still, amazing! Cichlidae, it's kind of an amazing tiny window onto five years (!) of your life. Sincerely, thank you for your work and effort. Also, all you dutch people. Baronjutter, you and I have all the same opinions, (the best opinions :smug:) and I'd just like to thank you for making several posts I would have made if I had found this thread sooner.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

All I know is that a few years ago the Belgian government was planning to do roadworks on both main north-south routes at the same time, blocking both of them off completely. It would become very hard to go to France, for instance.

Luckily, they abandoned that idea when they realized how horrible it was.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hermsgervørden posted:

I just spent a week reading this thread. A week. I'll admit to scrolling through a fair amount after the first 150 pages, but still, amazing! Cichlidae, it's kind of an amazing tiny window onto five years (!) of your life. Sincerely, thank you for your work and effort. Also, all you dutch people. Baronjutter, you and I have all the same opinions, (the best opinions :smug:) and I'd just like to thank you for making several posts I would have made if I had found this thread sooner.

It's very good to have correct opinions!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Doesn't look like there's anything to play yet, but here's a city-building game this thread might want to keep an eye on http://blog.cityboundsim.com/the-beginning/

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm excited about this one, the dude seems to "get" cities a lot more than the creators of simcity. He seems to be actually looking at cities from an urban planning and social/economic perspective rather than a traffic engineering perspective, which is pretty refreshing. I've been chatting with him about abstracted economic systems and development.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
The efforts for funding an "Oregon-only" replacement I-5 bridge across the Columbia have come to an end, with the project shutting down a second time.

If I had the money to do so, I would purchase a billboard visible from the northbound lanes that says something to the effect of, "You have brought this upon yourselves."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"CRC opponents in Clark County, who hated the planned light-rail connection into downtown Vancouver, were thrilled at the news. David Madore, the Clark County tech entrepreneur instrumental in mobilizing the opposition, said the CRC’s death was a “rare instance where a community actually had a victory over the light-rail forces.”

“This was misrepresented as a bridge project,” continued Madore, now a Clark County commissioner. “It was not. This was about transit. The bridge was the cheese in the mousetrap. The mousetrap was light rail.” "

haha what the gently caress? Is light rail some shadowy conspiracy ? Is this some angenda-21 bullshit? I can understand some people not wanting an expanded highway but so many comments about the bridge were all about how the highway was a trojan horse for :siren:TRANSIT:siren: and that's just un-american!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 8, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Poor (dark skinned) people can use light rail to rape our daughters.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Baronjutter posted:

haha what the gently caress? Is light rail some shadowy conspiracy ? Is this some angenda-21 bullshit? I can understand some people not wanting an expanded highway but so many comments about the bridge were all about how the highway was a trojan horse for :siren:TRANSIT:siren: and that's just un-american!

If light rail had been forced down their throats, these same people would be clamoring to build more of it in 5 years.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Baronjutter posted:

"CRC opponents in Clark County, who hated the planned light-rail connection into downtown Vancouver, were thrilled at the news. David Madore, the Clark County tech entrepreneur instrumental in mobilizing the opposition, said the CRC’s death was a “rare instance where a community actually had a victory over the light-rail forces.”

“This was misrepresented as a bridge project,” continued Madore, now a Clark County commissioner. “It was not. This was about transit. The bridge was the cheese in the mousetrap. The mousetrap was light rail.” "

Trimet and Friends are dealing with the same tinfoil hat nonsense in Oregon right now. Opponents of public transit in Tigard have managed to get something on the ballot that, if approved by voters, would require the City of Tigard to rebuff any plans to add dedicated bus lanes, light rail, or commuter rail until it was approved by popular vote and send letters annually to public officials stating that they are not interested in such projects. Supposedly backed by conservative groups, which means that it's unlikely to pass around here, but Washington doesn't have a monopoly on this kind of crazy.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Cichlidae please work your magic on this intersection.

Apologies to P.D. Eastman.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I know you all like roundabouts, here is the 'famous' Haymarket roundabout in Melbourne, Australia.

Photo taken by some urban explorer ontop of the under construction cancer centre. The roundabout has some of the major northern suburbs tramlines running though the middle, is next to the hospital district and a major university and the largest markets are just to the south.

They had to close a few lanes of Royal Parade the other year when a 30 meter long crack formed while digging the 8 story basement for the cancer center (where the photo below was taken)
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...x-1226494243441

It is somewhat recognized because of the large flagpole in the middle. A future metro trainstation is supposed to have an entrance in the middle of the roundabout, but that project hasn't got funding yet so it may not happen. It'd be the university station for a metro tunnel coming from the west (Arden St) and turning south down Swanston Street, the major axis of the city, which has the worlds busiest tramroute. I think Vicroads (state roads board) is planning on upgrading the cycling lanes for this intersection sometime soon as well and they put in traffic lights and stoplines a few years ago too.

There will be midrise skyscrapers on the lefthand side of the roundabout too over the next few years with that ford dealership selling up shop.
Here is the intersection in googlemaps: https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37.8015299,144.9583404,852m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Edit: Here is the wiki entry for it hah.

quote:

Haymarket Roundabout, informally known as the roundabout of death[citation needed], is a notorious roundabout in North Melbourne, Australia. The roundabout is formed at the junction of Peel St, Royal Parade, Elizabeth St, and Flemington Road, on the northwest border of Melbourne's CBD.

There are eight vehicle entry and exit points combined with trams entering from three points. Between 2000 and May 2011 there were 78 crashes recorded at the roundabout, including 14 with serious injuries.[1]

In May 2011 upgrades were announced to improve safety for tram users, motorists and cyclists.[2] These included the installation of traffic lights, pedestrian crossings and line markings.[3]

drunkill fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 9, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

One thing that might be confusing for people who aren't used to the situation are the right arrows on the incoming lanes. They indicate that you should take the inner roundabout lane when you want to go right. I can imagine people just taking a sharp right, going round the roundabout in the wrong direction and causing a heads-on.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
So I heard you like odd roundabouts.

https://goo.gl/maps/SujbM

Junction 8/8a on the M11 in the UK. The roundabout-with-extra-loop actually works pretty well - it's mostly three lane with traffic lights and a hint of turbineness about it. It handles all traffic to/from the north, and all traffic to/from the south with the sole exception of traffic between the M11 to/from the south and the A120 and the airport to the east. The extra bit of the roundabout provides a shortcut for traffic from the north heading west, and traffic from the west heading south - both significant flows. Junction 8a is the extra pair of sliproads to/from the south feeding directly into the A120 to the east (and thence to/from the fourth largest airport in the UK). To the south the M11 is three lanes each way; to the north it's two. The paired sliproads to the south actually start a mile and a half south of the roundabout.

I suspect this might horrify people in the USA, but I've never witnessed an accident here.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hermsgervørden posted:

Cichlidae please work your magic on this intersection.

Apologies to P.D. Eastman.

I've started reading this to my daughter. Excellent choice!

On the plus side, the light turns green immediately after the bird crosses, so it's pretty nice as far as preemption goes.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Hermsgervørden posted:

Yeah, wow, it has been almost five years... and I haven't even turned 30 yet!

dupersaurus posted:

Doesn't look like there's anything to play yet, but here's a city-building game this thread might want to keep an eye on http://blog.cityboundsim.com/the-beginning/

Oh wow, I love procedural development. That was my favorite part of Cities in Motion 2, so you'd better believe I'll be buying this when (if?) it comes out.

Baronjutter posted:

That's exactly what I noticed, too. "Huh, well, that sucks for Oregon. Wait, what? People are glad because they hosed themselves out of transit?" I just don't understand some people.

-----

Have a seminar all week in Boston to learn TransCAD, so I won't be around. And then when I get back, things get even busier.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cichlidae posted:

That's exactly what I noticed, too. "Huh, well, that sucks for Oregon. Wait, what? People are glad because they hosed themselves out of transit?" I just don't understand some people.

Clark County is on the Washington side of the Columbia River, immediately north of Portland, most notably Vancouver. It's home to all the sprawling suburbanization that Portland's strict zoning is intended to prevent. There's a lot of idiot conservatives up there who love not paying property taxes in WA but shopping in Oregon where there isn't a sales tax. And they don't want public transit or anything that would threaten their white picket fence fantasy. Of course their behavior is simply encouraging more sprawl and their commutes are getting pretty outrageous. Basically they're extremely shortsighted.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

The freeway and interchanges here have obsolete bridges that date back to the 50's:

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.725524,-105.013633&spn=0.004662,0.008572&t=h&z=17

It's finally being upgraded into this:

http://www.coloradodot.info/projects/US6Bridges/Images/project-renderings/us-6-project-corridor-map.pdf/at_download/file (pdf)

Removing that rather nasty weaving section between Federal Blvd and Bryant Street

The park is getting rebuilt with a new turf field and pedestrian bridge.

Here is a pdf of some of the renderings:

http://www.coloradodot.info/projects/US6Bridges/Images/project-renderings/us-6-project-renderings.pdf/at_download/file

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 10, 2014

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

will_colorado posted:

The freeway and interchanges here have obsolete bridges that date back to the 50's:

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.725524,-105.013633&spn=0.004662,0.008572&t=h&z=17

It's finally being upgraded into this:

http://www.coloradodot.info/projects/US6Bridges/Images/project-renderings/us-6-project-corridor-map.pdf/at_download/file (pdf)

Removing that rather nasty weaving section between Federal Blvd and Bryant Street

The park is getting rebuilt with a new turf field and pedestrian bridge.

Here is a pdf of some of the renderings:

http://www.coloradodot.info/projects/US6Bridges/Images/project-renderings/us-6-project-renderings.pdf/at_download/file

I'm sorry, but that last 'rendering' looks like it was hand-painted by a 12-year-old. And their pavement markings are all wrong :ohdear:

Seriously, though, looks like a worthwhile project. And just down the road, you've got this rad rail overpass: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.725271,-105.167431,3a,75y,65.32h,81.88t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sQUrn-unpdd-dEj2HeDWPkw!2e0

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Cichlidae posted:

I'm sorry, but that last 'rendering' looks like it was hand-painted by a 12-year-old. And their pavement markings are all wrong :ohdear:

Landscape architects :rolleyes:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I wonder if some of you might find this game interesting: http://dinopoloclub.com/minimetro/

quote:

Mini Metro is an upcoming minimalistic subway layout game. Your small city starts with only three unconnected stations. Your task is to draw routes between the stations to connect them with subway lines. Everything but the line layout is handled automatically; trains run along the lines as quickly as they can, and the commuters decide which trains to board and where to make transfers.

However the city is constantly growing, along with the transport needs of its population. How long can you keep the subway system running before it grinds to a halt?

Mini Metro is coming to PC, Mac, Linux, iPad, and Android tablets in early 2014. In the mean time, give the alpha version below a whirl and let us know what you think!

Please note that we're getting a little swamped with feedback. We will read it all but a reply may take some time!

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
That was the most fun I had on the most simplest of games! I managed to get up to 485 peeps before overcrowding set in. If they could make some sort of overlay that showed the city above, perhaps slowly expanding, that would be wonderful. :allears:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Some tips and tricks that will help you with Mini Metro:
http://beyonddc.com/log/?p=6662

It actually helped me a lot to think about what the shapes meant, as I could more easily build a network that connects residents to job centers than I could a network that connects circles to squares.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
This seems like the right thread to share this: http://dinopoloclub.com/minimetro/

quote:

Mini Metro is an upcoming minimalistic subway layout game. Your small city starts with only three unconnected stations. Your task is to draw routes between the stations to connect them with subway lines. Everything but the line layout is handled automatically; trains run along the lines as quickly as they can, and the commuters decide which trains to board and where to make transfers.
However the city is constantly growing, along with the transport needs of its population. How long can you keep the subway system running before it grinds to a halt?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Armacham posted:

This seems like the right thread to share this: http://dinopoloclub.com/minimetro/

gently caress my afternoon.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So there's been a lot of talk about "dutch intersections" lately as well as a weird back-lash against them (mostly based on overly simplistic diagrams then becoming the bibles for proponents) so here is an excelent youtube on a variety of Dutch intersections.

I think it's very clear these are all superior designs and come in a variety of shapes and sizes to fit in just about any situation. My question though is: why the gently caress do we still build such horrible junctions in north america? In fact there's some in various "cycle lobbies" that are very against these designs because they see separated bike infrastructure as "ghettoizing bikes" and cling to this proven-false idea that it's safest when "bikes are treated as vehicles".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpQMgbDJPok

I understand that funding and support for better bike infrastructure is limited in North America, what I can't understand is that when it IS actually implemented it's often implemented so so badly, even when the "bike lobby" is involved.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Baronjutter posted:

So there's been a lot of talk about "dutch intersections" lately as well as a weird back-lash against them (mostly based on overly simplistic diagrams then becoming the bibles for proponents) so here is an excelent youtube on a variety of Dutch intersections.

I understand that funding and support for better bike infrastructure is limited in North America, what I can't understand is that when it IS actually implemented it's often implemented so so badly, even when the "bike lobby" is involved.

I think that it's fairly telling that the Dutch icon of a cyclist is a child who is cycling with their parent, while the American icon is a spandex-clad racer or an urban bike courier. We simply have a different understanding of who is supposed to be bicycling, and it makes it very difficult to get support for good infrastructure.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Plus there's this very American chicken and egg problem. Why build this? Not enough people bike! And if it does manage to get planned and built, it's really lovely because we just can't commit to it enough.

And also the space efficiency stuff. For some reason, a lot of this would simply be seen as a waste of perfectly usable space for stores or parking or whatever in America. It's almost as if the benefits don't even matter.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also to be fair for most american cities no amount of bike infra is going to fix things, everything is just too sprawlig and spread out. You could put an awesome dutch cycle path down every single major street in america and only see a small increase in cycling. Well you'd see a huge relative increase but it would be like 1% to 4% or something. American development just isn't suited to anything but cars, it's been purposefully built to be hard or impossible to adapt to any other "transport paradigm". So what do you do? Just give up? Well that's not an option either. The US is though seeing a huge rise in transit usage, it's really a new golden age for transit and cities in the US and that's with most places being horribly resistant to expanding transit (See: Vancouver WA). Put some actual heavy government push behind this and it will only get better. You won't be able to adapt or save most of the US's built-up land but you'll be able to create some pretty awesome urban enclaves full of transit and bikes. When fuel prices get worse and worse along with the economy there's going to potentially be a huge divide between the efficient productive cities and the sprawling suburbs and country where the jobs will dry up and people won't be able to afford to get around. I could see vast swaths of suburbs abandoned detroit style, becoming huge low-density ghettos. There will be no money to maintain the roads and highways in those areas, things will crumble.

But of course keep pumping money into more highways and poo poo today and keep fighting against transit and any increases in density. All those official traffic engineering projections that consistently don't match reality clearly show we'll need more and more infrastructure for cars.

virtual256
May 6, 2007

http://kuow.org/post/seattle-s-crosswalk-chirps-being-killed-rapid-ticks

Is this a recent change in the MUTCD? Or is this just hitting our upgrade cycle in Seattle?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Any more hints/tips for MiniMetro? It's so hard. Can't get above 250. Tried loops with river connections, hub and spokes, everything just grinds to a halt eventually. You don't get upgrades fast enough IMO

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
The highest I got was 500. :smug:

My strategy is to start out with hub and spokes then, after the first week, put a new line in then go for a grid setup after that.

They pushed out a new update for Mini Metro today. The most notable thing is there are unlimited tunnels now, but the train will go slowly through it so it's still more of a risk to go south of the river (which is true in actual London).

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

MyFaceBeHi posted:

My strategy is to start out with hub and spokes then, after the first week, put a new line in then go for a grid setup after that.

What do people mean when they say "grid system"

Some screenshots of people's awesome layouts would be cool.

quote:

They pushed out a new update for Mini Metro today. The most notable thing is there are unlimited tunnels now, but the train will go slowly through it so it's still more of a risk to go south of the river (which is true in actual London).

*chuckles*

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

thehustler posted:

What do people mean when they say "grid system"

Some screenshots of people's awesome layouts would be cool.

*chuckles*

Loops are the "easiest" way to get past 500 because you hit each station at what would be the end of the lines more frequently. They are a pain in the arse to redraw though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Lot's of people want to go to squares, so make sure every line can easily connect or transfer to a square.