Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

qbert posted:

Hmm, I wonder if there are any instant speed Agoraphobia effects in Standard right now. I want to troll my opponent using Xenagod on his Mutavault.

The other case in which this works is if you have a way of being alive at negative life and a Death's Shadow in play. There was a cheesy Modern combo deck built around this, it was dumb as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

qbert posted:

Hmm, I wonder if there are any instant speed Agoraphobia effects in Standard right now. I want to troll my opponent using Xenagod on his Mutavault.

Downsize is in RTR along with Beastmaster, but nobody remembers it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bugsy posted:

Downsize is in RTR along with Beastmaster, but nobody remembers it.

I just wish people would remember Wild Beastmaster so the 12 I bought for a quarter each on a whim could pay off.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Protect//Serve? Hydroblast?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Entropic posted:

You need to have the "what happens if you lose these cards" conversation before, not after, they borrow them.

I have and I've spit plenty of fire and brimstone but really whats a jobless college kid going to do if they lose 1000 dollars in cardboard?

I just hope threats are enough to keep them cautious.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Entropic posted:

Just get your sets of Standard duals when they first come out for $5 apiece and any extras you open for the remainder of their time in standard will be solid trade fodder.

Much like in real life, always bet on land.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Zorak posted:

So, they've announced what Clash Packs are:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1443

Makes sense they'd pair it with the core set.

Core set product meant to introduce new players AND teach them basic deckbuilding techniques? Sounds pretty sweet.

edit: holy crap I should refresh the thread next time.

Peepers fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 7, 2014

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

GoutPatrol posted:

Much like in real life, always bet on land.

You ain't no kinda man if you ain't got land

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I would just like to point out that, on that list of DCI suspensions posted a few pages back, there is a person named 'Clearly Excellent.' He or she has a lifetime ban.

DCI Suspension List

e:

e2: oh Kevin Brumley :allears:

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 7, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Suspension lists are boring now that they no longer list the reason.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Entropic posted:

Suspension lists are boring now that they no longer list the reason.

I recall this was the greatest reason ever listed.

Some Smart rear end Judge posted:

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

DCI has no sense of humor these days.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 7, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I just want Mox Opal to get back closer to $40 than $50 so I can finish this Modern Goblins list before some amazing hate card gets printed against it, is that too much to ask? When they were $40 I thought "that's a lot of money for a card that only sees play in Affinity, it has to go down right?" :negative:

Entropic posted:

I miss decks that actually played Angel of Serenity. I'm so tired of Aetherling as the go-to Control finisher at this point.

In my last round at Gameday I played a BWG list that was running Angel of Serenity. But it was following up Loxodon Smiters, Blood Barons, and Desecration Demons so it wasn't quite the star you're wanting it to be.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

SO I'm judging two GPs this month: Richmond and Cincinnati. By the time I'm done at Richmond, Cincinnati is going to look like a PTQ. Have we gotten any attendance news since 4000? Also, any goons bringing EDH decks?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

C-Euro posted:

I just want Mox Opal to get back closer to $40 than $50 so I can finish this Modern Goblins list before some amazing hate card gets printed against it, is that too much to ask? When they were $40 I thought "that's a lot of money for a card that only sees play in Affinity, it has to go down right?" :negative:

In my last round at Gameday I played a BWG list that was running Angel of Serenity. But it was following up Loxodon Smiters, Blood Barons, and Desecration Demons so it wasn't quite the star you're wanting it to be.

That's a pretty loving scary curve, actually. Smiter-->Desecration-->Baron-->???-->Serenity
What was his 6 drop? Elspeth?

Honestly, I would go straight for a mono-W devotion deck if W had any decent card draw options like U. I have an Ephara devotion deck built that uses a W creature core, but it is still only tier 2 because you can't splash that much blue into a deck with 15+ double W spells.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Brownhat posted:

SO I'm judging two GPs this month: Richmond and Cincinnati. By the time I'm done at Richmond, Cincinnati is going to look like a PTQ. Have we gotten any attendance news since 4000? Also, any goons bringing EDH decks?

I am not just to limit things I am bringing, I am paranoid about theft, perhaps overly so but still. I am going to have the 2 decks I'm playing, and my draft sleeves and lands.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

That's a pretty loving scary curve, actually. Smiter-->Desecration-->Baron-->???-->Serenity
What was his 6 drop? Elspeth?

Honestly, I would go straight for a mono-W devotion deck if W had any decent card draw options like U. I have an Ephara devotion deck built that uses a W creature core, but it is still only tier 2 because you can't splash that much blue into a deck with 15+ double W spells.

I can't remember what she played turn 6, but I saw both Whip of Erebos and Bile Blight which adds up to six mana? By "follow up" I meant that those cards were also in the deck, not that they got played in that order.

VV Pretty sure she had more duals than basics in play at a couple points.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 7, 2014

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

C-Euro posted:

What kind of crazy mana base supports that? GW into BB into a BW into triple-W. Godspeed to that dude.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

qbert posted:

What kind of crazy mana base supports that? GW into BB into a BW into triple-W. Godspeed to that dude.

No decklist, but the first match here is junk reanimator which sounds a lot like what C-euro is describing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pEe5kCzuPk

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Yesssss I just got to life the dream in a paper draft by playing 5-color green with motherfucking Chromanticore, and the deck was actually really good. I went 4-0 with the following:

2x Voyaging Satyr
Leafcrown Dryad
Nessian Courser
2x Nyxborn Wolf
Setessan Oathsworn
Agent of Horizons
Polis Crusher
Horizon Chimera
Nylea's Emissary
Thassa's Emissary
Nessian Demolok
Nessian Asp
Prognostic Sphinx
CHROMANTICORE

Traveler's Amulet
Ordeal of Nylea
2x Nylea's Presence
Karametra's Favor

Mortal's Resolve
Savage Surge
Mortal's Ardor

10 Forest
4 Island
1 Swamp
1 Plains
1 Mountain

This deck took an excellent ramp shell and fitted it out with enough cantrip manafixing to cast Chromanticore. I won multiple games off of huge lifelinking vigilant creatures. Nice comboes included Setessan Oathsworn + Ordeal of Nylea for immediate lands, Chromanticore + Thassa's Emissary for a nice card draw to go with your 14 point lifeswing, and Horizon Chimera + cantrip manafixing for that little bit of extra lifegain. Also nice was Voyaging Satyr + Nylea's Presence to get more colors. Nonboes included Polis Crusher + Bestow, but he's so good it doesn't really matter.

The only downsides to the deck were a complete lack of creature removal and lack of way to get back Chromanticore from the graveyard. Other than that the deck was awesome.

I also am kind of embarrassed to mention that in all the games in which I played Prognostic Sphinx (at least 4 or 5) I forgot to scry with it every single time. I realized this after the last round when I thought to myself "Prognostic Sphinx was really good but I remember it being much better when opponents have played it against me in the past" and then remembered the Scry ability. This is what I get for assuming I know what all the cards do.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 7, 2014

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Yeaaaah, I am so totally jealous. Like, no lie. That is an amazing draft deck.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
I was playing Junk Reanimator for a bit. Grisly Salvage and Commune to fill the bin and find lands/your Whip, deathrite (I had multiple opponents go 'wait, that guy's useable in standard?) to fix and accelerate, then Whip and Obzedat's Aid to reanimate an Angel or Ashen Rider t4-5 is pretty backbreaking. The deck's definitely missing something (probably a third reanimation effect that's better than Journey), but it's relatively consistent and pretty fun, and you can even get all toolboxy if you add Jarad's Orders.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

a dozen swans posted:

I was playing Junk Reanimator for a bit. Grisly Salvage and Commune to fill the bin and find lands/your Whip, deathrite (I had multiple opponents go 'wait, that guy's useable in standard?) to fix and accelerate, then Whip and Obzedat's Aid to reanimate an Angel or Ashen Rider t4-5 is pretty backbreaking. The deck's definitely missing something (probably a third reanimation effect that's better than Journey), but it's relatively consistent and pretty fun, and you can even get all toolboxy if you add Jarad's Orders.

I've been playing with a build with Immortal Servitude, but it's restrictive in that you want the whole deck to be 2 or 3 drops for maximum value.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I've been playing with a build with Immortal Servitude, but it's restrictive in that you want the whole deck to be 2 or 3 drops for maximum value.

I use this trick in one of my decks and I love it. It's almost always a game changer. However, it really does only work well with little guys that all cost the same.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

a dozen swans posted:

I'm playing the BG graveyard deck that's just on the fringes of being playable and I don't think it or reanimator are going to be a thing until JiN comes out. The BG God, BW God, and BG Scryland alone will mean big things for both decks. Sure we don't know what the enemy-colored Gods will do yet, but being able to fit it in to these decks means a LOT.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I just got a foil Garruk out of a booster. :hellyeah:

I traded it for a playset of Precinct Captains, three Bidents (including two promos), a Vastwood Hydra and a foil Legion's Initiative. Y/N on getting screwed? I am playing Selesnya aggro so the Hydra and the Captains are actually really good for me.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

ungulateman posted:

I traded it for a playset of Precinct Captains, three Bidents (including two promos), a Vastwood Hydra and a foil Legion's Initiative. Y/N on getting screwed? I am playing Selesnya aggro so the Hydra and the Captains are actually really good for me.

Foil Garruk is worth $36 right now- precinct captains are $1-2 each, bidents around the same, legions initiative foil is ~$8, hydra is less than a buck.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

a dozen swans posted:

I think the Satyr Wayfinder showed that all it needs is graveyard enablers that double as pump spells. Balustrade Spy could be an interesting 4 drop but the way the deck is shaped right now you'd rather do 2 things with 4 mana, grab a jarad, or bestow. Still it has flying and turn 4-5 bestowing a nighthowler on to it will probably get you the win.

Splashing red opens up interactions with bloodrush creatures and makes flesh//blood yet another potential way to do lethal damage. Between Jarad's fling ability and flesh//blood you've got a ton of ways of spiking someone down when they felt safe. Murder King becomes another thing to do some fun interactions.

Splashing blue opens up possibly janky interactions like Chronic Flooding which would self mill far more than any 1 grisly salvage, at the cost of being down 1 card instead of par with cards. Breaking//Entering becomes an extremely efficient self mill at the cost of being down a card. Consuming Abberration is incredibly lethal but probably isn't where the deck wants to be. Dimir Charm would do some serious work with all three modes.

There's several 4 CMC black creatures that if they were cheaper with the same rules text they would be good graveyard enablers and decent bodies for attacking. Maybe in JOU we'll get cheaper graveyard creatures.

Korak fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 7, 2014

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

ungulateman posted:

Value-wise, you got completely hosed. Cards you want to play with-wise, you got things you wanted for a thing you didn't want. Depends on how you want to look at it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
One of the Precinct Captains was a foil, but still...the guy told me they were $5. If I see him again I'm going to give him a piece of my mind, though he was friendly enough that I'm not going to be a jerk about it.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

ungulateman posted:

One of the Precinct Captains was a foil, but still...the guy told me they were $5. If I see him again I'm going to give him a piece of my mind, though he was friendly enough that I'm not going to be a jerk about it.

Do you own a smartphone?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ScarletBrother posted:

Value-wise, you got completely hosed. Cards you want to play with-wise, you got things you wanted for a thing you didn't want. Depends on how you want to look at it.

I remember when I played magic with other people for the first time, RTR prerelease event.

Some douchenozzle gave me Detention Sphere, Righteous Authority and Supreme Verdict for at-the-time very valuable Deathrite Shaman, the process was literally "you want this, this, and this, I'll take that."

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I remember when I played magic with other people for the first time, RTR prerelease event.

Some douchenozzle gave me Detention Sphere, Righteous Authority and Supreme Verdict for at-the-time very valuable Deathrite Shaman, the process was literally "you want this, this, and this, I'll take that."

I traded my Divine vs Demonic, demonic tutor for a 50p rare because i thought it was useless uncommon. :negative:

Samael fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 7, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ungulateman posted:

Sorry to hear someone ripped you off; most of us aren't terrible people. Don't ever take their word for it. Either look it up on your phone if you have one, or have them look it up and mske sure they're showing you the right prices, or if you're at a store, ask the employees if it's even. I'm pretty sure that was a really bad trade even for a non-shiny Garruk.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

ScarletBrother posted:

Do you own a smartphone?

My phone is insufficiently smart and I had no credit at the time; it didn't occur to me that he would be lying through his teeth about the value of a staple rare. /lifestory

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

ungulateman posted:

My phone is insufficiently smart and I had no credit at the time; it didn't occur to me that he would be lying through his teeth about the value of a staple rare. /lifestory

No one honest is going to mind if you check trade values before agreeing on something. Just ask someone independent to look it up and show it to you.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Did the goons playing Murdergoats ever post a primer on all the interactions the deck can go through?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Korak posted:

Did the goons playing Murdergoats ever post a primer on all the interactions the deck can go through?

Not a complete list, though bhsman has a couple on his decklist on tappedout.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ScarletBrother posted:

No one honest is going to mind if you check trade values before agreeing on something. Just ask someone independent to look it up and show it to you.

The guy making the trade probably had a smartphone himself, I'll ask them to look it up if I don't have my phone handy. It's kinda like a lovely rite of passage for new players to be taken advantage of by some vulture douchebag. Sucks it happened but I doubt he'll let it happen again now.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Its easy to think you remember a price because you saw it 5 days ago and not bother looking it up. You shouldn't assume someone is trying to screw you over but just take the time to look things up on your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013

Korak posted:

I've been giving it a whirl on Cockatrice to see how it plays out. Last night I played against Azorious Control and Jund Monsters, and would like to see a primer on what to sideboard.

• Locked thread