Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Mokotow posted:

Yeah, he went from bitching about it to actually plugging it for the first time in one of the last episodes.

On the most recent Ace on the House (I think), he talked about how Lynette watched the show with him, and was remarking on how he thought the production team did a really great job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It seems like the show is going to be a Bar Rescue type show which I don't think is a good approach. The focus seems to be on hunting down old contractors and getting justice or whatever. I hope the show doesn't go for a serious vibe (which the previews make it seem like it will be). He's much better when he's just cracking jokes and complaining.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

vote_no posted:

On the most recent Ace on the House (I think), he talked about how Lynette watched the show with him, and was remarking on how he thought the production team did a really great job.
Oh that is true, I forgot about that. It just seemed to me like he wasn't talking about it constantly like he did with his sitcoms and other stuff, though that makes sense because those were his personal projects while this one is more of a job he's involved in. I'm definitely looking forward to it though.

escape artist posted:

What'd you guys think of JL Cauvin's appearance?
It seemed pretty short to me. They talked a few minutes about his background then played a couple clips of his videos, then launched into the news. He seemed like a funny guy from what little he was on though.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

escape artist posted:

What'd you guys think of JL Cauvin's appearance?

He sounded like Ray Romano doing Carolla.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I'm not a huge fan of his Carolla impression, but he had an incredible Barack Obama impression. His other videos have him doing Louis CK, JB Smoove (in full blackface), and others. His JB Smoove is also perfect.

Pilot Jim
Aug 23, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Oh that is true, I forgot about that. It just seemed to me like he wasn't talking about it constantly like he did with his sitcoms and other stuff, though that makes sense because those were his personal projects while this one is more of a job he's involved in. I'm definitely looking forward to it though.

It seemed pretty short to me. They talked a few minutes about his background then played a couple clips of his videos, then launched into the news. He seemed like a funny guy from what little he was on though.

I listen to every episode as I have a lot of down-time at work, so listen to a lot of podcasts, and he's talked about it on probably every show over the last 2 months. Maybe a couple of the live shows were spared.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Really weird hearing Scott Aukerman do an ad for Adam Carolla's TV show on the latest Comedy Bang! Bang! I just kind of put the two shows at opposite ends of the podcast spectrum. That said I would love for Adam to be a guest on Comedy Bang! Bang!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

bartok posted:

Really weird hearing Scott Aukerman do an ad for Adam Carolla's TV show on the latest Comedy Bang! Bang! I just kind of put the two shows at opposite ends of the podcast spectrum. That said I would love for Adam to be a guest on Comedy Bang! Bang!

Still, "podcast comedians" isn't a huge market. It probably didn't cost too much, and people familiar with him as "a podcast comic" are likely to check it out. Seems like it was a pretty savvy move to me.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

bartok posted:

Yeah it's funny how podcasts have kind of split up into these different camps. Like James Adomian and Paul F. Tompkins are hilarious guys, but you never hear them venture outside of their small circles much. Man that would be awesome if Adam would go on CBB though. He could roll with all the improv guys without a problem, and it would be really fun to hear how he reacts to the much weirder environment on that show.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah it's funny how podcasts have kind of split up into these different camps. Like James Adomian and Paul F. Tompkins are hilarious guys, but you never hear them venture outside of their small circles much. Man that would be awesome if Adam would go on CBB though. He could roll with all the improv guys without a problem, and it would be really fun to hear how he reacts to the much weirder environment on that show.

I look at Doug Loves Movies as the common ground for comedy podcasts. He has CBB regulars, Proops, Maron, Carolla & Bald Bryan, and Joe Rogan's Deathsquad (minus Rogan because he's not into movie trivia).

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

escape artist posted:

Still, "podcast comedians" isn't a huge market. It probably didn't cost too much, and people familiar with him as "a podcast comic" are likely to check it out. Seems like it was a pretty savvy move to me.
Yeah I've noticed amongst the omnipresent podcast advertisers (audible, GoToMeeting, Stamps.com, squarespace, proflowers & sheri's berries at seasonal times... I'm sure there are others) that advertisements for other podcasts are starting to pop up. I think it's because podcast producers know that podcasts are, for the number of ears they're getting, cheap to advertise on / desperate for sponsorship.

Gus Sawchuk
Jul 13, 2001
I didn't see it brought up in this thread yet, but Drew's daughter was anorexic/bulimic? Pretty eerie, considering Adam always used to tell Drew that ice skating was going to give her an eating disorder.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Gus Sawchuk posted:

I didn't see it brought up in this thread yet, but Drew's daughter was anorexic/bulimic? Pretty eerie, considering Adam always used to tell Drew that ice skating was going to give her an eating disorder.

That's hilariously awful.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Woah, do we have a recording of that?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

UltraRed posted:

Woah, do we have a recording of that?
Wasn't that a pretty common refrain from Adam to Drew? "Drew, you're gonna give your daughter an eating disorder" or something like that. I can't think of a specific one, but I'll bet someone in the Loveline thread could point you to an episode.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
10/12/2003

Drew catches Paulina using foul language after spying on her IMs between her friends. Adam tells Drew he's going to give her an eating disorder.

But seriously, he said that poo poo all the time. Every time Drew would mention something about being overbearing with his kids.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
"I'LL GIVE YOUR DAUGHTER SOMETHIN' TO EAT ON!"

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The episode with Ginger Lynn is really good. She's a great guest and it was incredibly funny.

Is anyone else put off by the "fundraiser" for legal funds? I mean I'm against the patent trolls as much as anyone, but a guy with 7-figures worth of classic cars in his private garage asking fans to raise money for his company's legal expenses seems silly. It's also funny how he brought it up on an episode right after talking about Jimmy Kimmel raising money for kids with brain cancer.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I thought it was just other podcasters chipping in for that.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, it makes sense for podcasters because this amount of money would hurt even him and I buy his argument that there is a collective interest in beating this back. I *could* pay to replace a shared fence myself but I'm going to ask my neighbor to go 50/50 on it because that's fair. Podcasts being podcasts though ultimately it's going to have to be mostly fans footing the bill to the extent we're willing.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
There's a broader problem with the podcast patent troll fight: current patent law is hugely profitable for large companies that own many patents. Big tech, big pharma, etc. Current patent law is also hugely profitable for the trolls who figured out this weaselly loophole. Everybody hates the latter, but the former holds considerable sway over Congress and tends to resist any change to patent law, because of the possibility of lost profitability afterwards. The current framework is entirely comfortable for them, and they've got the money and influence to keep it that way (as well as pay off the trolls without hurting).

Carolla may win this specific lawsuit, but it does nothing to fix the broader problem or potential future lawsuits against podcasters. Regardless of the outcome, the lawyers involved on both sides are going to make a fortune. Enjoy the show!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Patent trolls would make more money in the end if they just threatened people and took their money if they chose not to fight. It would actually cost adam a lot less to just settle and let troll gently caress over EVERYONE downstream. This is actually a good thing he's doing overall and he's 100% right. God gently caress patent trolls.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Boinks posted:

I thought it was just other podcasters chipping in for that.

No, he's holding a fundraising event and will be selling it online. He also setup a FundAnything.

I'm all for it being fought and I have no problem with him getting a group together to fight it. Even if he mentioned that he's fighting this on the show and ask for their help to donate to the show and use the sponsors. But I do think it's tacky that a multi-millionaire is acting like a poor, small business owner hard up for cash so he can fight this case. I think I'd also feel better if this was a giant fund that all podcasts could use to fight these cases and not just a fund for Adam's legal defense.

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 4, 2014

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Niwrad posted:

No, he's holding a fundraising event and will be selling it online. He also setup a FundAnything.

I'm all for it being fought and I have no problem with him getting a group together to fight it. Even if he mentioned that he's fighting this on the show and ask for their help to donate to the show and use the sponsors. But I do think it's tacky that a multi-millionaire is acting like a poor, small business owner hard up for cash so he can fight this case. I think I'd also feel better if this was a giant fund that all podcasts could use to fight these cases and not just a fund for Adam's legal defense.

One specific person that is being sued needs to fight and win so precedent is set for everyone. It is essentially a 'giant fund' for all podcasters because if he just pays the guy off the rear end in a top hat will keep moving along until somebody stops and pays lawyers to fight him. Even if it was completely free for Carolla, it's going to be a tremendous undertaking just time and energy wise. Patent trolls are usually just groups of lawyers so they know how to keep filing nonsense and dragging things out.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Also I can't wait for the next episode because it has DAG and a different fake Teresa with big tits. Let us hope it turns out well.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Well he's not really begging for money, he's selling tickets to a live podcast/concert with special guests. The prices aren't really that bad either, $50 for the cheap seats is on par with a rock concert.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Did the DFG episode gently caress up for anyone else?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Oh yeah, it just kinda ended after the last batch of listener calls and ads. They had the "Carolla Digital" outro thing at the end though, maybe they just cut it short for some reason and are releasing the rest tomorrow?

Gina Grad is a good fill-in for Alison.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Holy poo poo today's episode is a must listen. I don't know where they found this lady who is replacing Alison on this episode but I'm losing it listening to Adam and Howie Mandel's fascination with her. And the reading of her sister's scene of "Cock Muncher" is amazing.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Yeah I'm loving substitute Alison, the DAG episode was great.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Grant DaNasty posted:

Holy poo poo today's episode is a must listen. I don't know where they found this lady who is replacing Alison on this episode but I'm losing it listening to Adam and Howie Mandel's fascination with her. And the reading of her sister's scene of "Cock Muncher" is amazing.

Howie saved the day there because Adam seemed like he wanted to move on. That bit was awesome. New Alison started off the show a little nervous but was pretty good by the end.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

"Catch a Contractor" is pretty good, I caught the first two episodes that aired tonight. It feels kinda squished in with the editing, due to being a 30 minute show with commercial breaks, and they've focused a lot more heavily on the "catching" part so far over the actual building, but I'll definitely keep watching this.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

"Catch a Contractor" is pretty good, I caught the first two episodes that aired tonight. It feels kinda squished in with the editing, due to being a 30 minute show with commercial breaks, and they've focused a lot more heavily on the "catching" part so far over the actual building, but I'll definitely keep watching this.

You know, it really would benefit from being an hour.

If they're going to show 2 back-to-back single episodes, why not do the full hour so it doesn't feel so rushed and over-edited?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Red posted:

You know, it really would benefit from being an hour.

If they're going to show 2 back-to-back single episodes, why not do the full hour so it doesn't feel so rushed and over-edited?

because if they were to ever syndicate it it's much easier to syndicate half hour shows rather than hourlongs

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Riptor posted:

because if they were to ever syndicate it it's much easier to syndicate half hour shows rather than hourlongs

Tons of good shows are an hour and are driven into the ground through syndication.

The show has a better chance of being distributed if it's good. The show(s) I watched last night felt edited as gently caress.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Also they're being sued right? That doesn't really bode well.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah, usually the case in most hour-long reality shows is it feels like they really should be a half hour. But I think this one feels packed. There's a lot more going on than the average fixer/rescue show.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

He mentioned on the podcast that they're talking about doing 20 more shows, so it must be doing well in the ratings, lawsuit notwithstanding. Also in last Sunday's episode, I got a good laugh at him pointing out at least twice in that one episode with the skylight and the water heater that wasn't fastened to the wall how they live in "earthquake country".

There were a couple good guests this week, Robert Wagner was a classy get and Greg Proops was magical as always. Also there's a phone discussion on today's show with a guy who's in the Buttcoins business if you need more reason to listen.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

It would have been fantastic to hear about how difficult and terrible buttcoin is from Adam after the campaign is over and they can't for the life of them actually attain the, "money" that was donated (Bryan's coin + 3 people donating a sum of .25). My guess though is since they had the guy who runs coinbase on any withdrawals will be fast tracked unlike what a normal random user would experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The editing on Catch a Contractor makes me dizzy. I just want the camera to sit still for more than 2 seconds.