Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Someone should slap a Boston cream pie in Kaepernick’s smug face.

What the gently caress is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Are columnists just ignoring the recent run of NFL players beating/raping women, or am I just missing it because I live in an NBA bubble?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
do you really want to read, like, Peter King's thoughts on sexual assault?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I don't want to read Peter King anything, but I'm kind of surprised at the muffled response to a very public face for the league being a serial rapist.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

I don't want to read Peter King anything, but I'm kind of surprised at the muffled response to a very public face for the league being a serial rapist.
It's kind of like PED's in the NFL: not treated like a huge deal but if it happens in Major League Baseball then THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Crazy Ted posted:

It's kind of like PED's in the NFL: not treated like a huge deal but if it happens in Major League Baseball then THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Fortunately the rigors of a 162 game season leave baseball players too tired to rape.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Frackie Robinson posted:

Fortunately the rigors of a 162 game season leave baseball players too tired to rape.
It's funny because in the past I've seen segments on ESPN where someone's tried to point out the hypocrisy of PED's in Major League Baseball being treated like unforgivable sin but in the NFL like "ehhhhhhhh", and you end up with guys like Mark Schlereth basically saying "No YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND we put our bodies on the line so PED use is gonna happen in the NFL but in baseball it's like woah holy balls".

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Frackie Robinson posted:

Josh Lueke

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

Josh Lueke

He was probably a starter at the time, starters don't count. Way too much free time on their hands. Evert starting pitcher ever is a rapist except Christy Matthewson, Orel Hersheiser, and Dave Dravecky (bones too weak).

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Unfortunately, Is Josh Lueke A Rapist? appears to have gone down. We shall be tragically unupdated in the future.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Frackie Robinson posted:

He was probably a starter at the time, starters don't count. Way too much free time on their hands. Evert starting pitcher ever is a rapist except Christy Matthewson, Orel Hersheiser, and Dave Dravecky (bones too weak).

He was starting in A ball.

The Rangerts should have scuttled his career immediately, but they instead dumped him on Seattle saying "Yeah, he only started 4 games because he was accus-er-acuitted of rape."

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
And then when the trade went down and Seattle reporters looked up his past the Mariners were like "well golly gee, we never could have known that, otherwise we wouldn't have made the trade. :downs:"

loving Mariners.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

ayn rand hand job posted:

He was starting in A ball.

The Rangerts should have scuttled his career immediately, but they instead dumped him on Seattle saying "Yeah, he only started 4 games because he was accus-er-acuitted of rape."

What, should they have just executed him rather than getting some value out if him from some other sucker?

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
The Lueke thing in Seattle was one of the first real warning signs of the Jack Z tenure, because it involved him lying to ownership about Leuke's past (whether actively or by omission) until the media got a hold of the story, at which point he disavowed all knowledge and ordered his director of player personnel at the time to fall on his sword for supposedly not giving him all the information.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It looks like Grantland, FiveThirtyEight and ESPN are going to be putting out a lot more video content.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

morestuff posted:

It looks like Grantland, FiveThirtyEight and ESPN are going to be putting out a lot more video content.

Can't wait to see more of those hot, hot Girls in Hoodies.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick Reilly is leaving ESPN (and maybe sportswriting) at the end of June.

Edit: Oops — I saw two of his tweets and misunderstood the rest of the story. He's just quitting his column to do TV stuff.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 12, 2014

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

oh thank God.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

oh thank God.

Good thing I was wrong!

quote:

Rick Reilly, ESPN.com’s long-time front-page columnist, has decided to go part-time. Beginning July 1, Reilly will let his weekly column go and concentrate on television duties for ESPN’s Monday Night Countdown, presenting his weekly four-minute human interest features as well as other features and essays for SportsCenter and Sunday NFL Countdown.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Is Rick Reilly really a journalist anymore

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I wonder how much money he'll get for "part-time" work, if what he's doing now is "full-time".

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's not like he was ever out there breaking stories. He's a columnist. Or I guess was.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

drat IT NO

No, he's not.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

It's not like he was ever out there breaking stories. He's a columnist.

He was a good reporter at one point.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
it's a good day to be an atheist

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Apparently he still thinks so!

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
It would be downright sad if he didn't commit multiple fireable offenses in the span of a year.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

For Sunday Night Countdown? I hope his first story is on the name "Redskins"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

FiveThirtyEight just launched. It still seems like an awkward fit with ESPN, but I'm sure it'll turn around some interesting writing.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

morestuff posted:

FiveThirtyEight just launched. It still seems like an awkward fit with ESPN, but I'm sure it'll turn around some interesting writing.

gently caress YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

morestuff posted:

It's definitely a bit different of a fit, but I like that they're doing it. It seems that 30 for 30 and Grantland have rubbed off on ESPN proper in positive ways, so I can see this doing the same thing.

Also, this is random but if any of you haven't ever checked out those Grantland Quarterly issues, the story selection is a little befuddling sometimes, but those books are loving beautiful. I purchased the first one and have snagged a copy of each one since just because the design is really awesome.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I can't remember what page it was on, but who was the insane guy who inspired the "no punches pulled" of the name of this thread?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

seiferguy posted:

I can't remember what page it was on, but who was the insane guy who inspired the "no punches pulled" of the name of this thread?

John Steigerwald

http://justwatchthegame.com/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo there's a name I haven't heard in years. Is he still doing stuff for ESPN?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Holy poo poo there's a name I haven't heard in years. Is he still doing stuff for ESPN?

Was he ever? He has a horrible blog that someone here found like three years ago and I thought it was so funny that I changed the thread title. Nothing has ever been funny enough for me to ever change it back either.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Not even Rick Reilly lying about his Native American father in laws feeling about the term "Redskins"?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Was he ever? He has a horrible blog that someone here found like three years ago and I thought it was so funny that I changed the thread title. Nothing has ever been funny enough for me to ever change it back either.

I could swear he was an NFL reporter for them a while back.

E: Quick google says he wasn't. Maybe they just had him on for Pittsburgh stuff every so often or something.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

MourningView posted:

He was a Pittsburgh TV/radio/newspaper guy, I don't think he was ever with any larger outfit.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

John Steigerwald's biggest achievement was being born Paul Steigerwald's brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
If you had told me that my favorite sports feature of the year, thus far, would be a Grantland article about the world's best juggler I would have laughed at you, but here we are. This was a fine read.