Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dead Snoopy posted:

I actually thought the Rat Priest guy may be this guy but I don't think it's the case - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratcatcher_(comics)

I'm actually looking forward to Oliver's alliance w/ the Russian Mobster. I want to know more about that guy.

It would also explain where he got the Bratva tattoo. Closest thing to a prison tat the Lian Yu has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Balon posted:

Any chance the priest is Pied Piper? Sure he's more of a Flash Togue but we know those two worlds intersect.

Unlikely, that character is going to be in the Flash TV show.

The priest did nothing that identifies him as any particular character for now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why does every single character have to be someone from the comics? Diggle, Thea, Detective Lance and a host of others are new for the show.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

Why does every single character have to be someone from the comics? Diggle, Thea, Detective Lance and a host of others are new for the show.

If you've ever read bits of the true detective thread you'll find that people try to find puzzles where it's just a non-puzzle aspect of the show.

I guess my answer is that people are weird and have a desire to include themselves into something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Drifter posted:

If you've ever read bits of the true detective thread you'll find that people try to find puzzles where it's just a non-puzzle aspect of the show.

I guess my answer is that people are weird and have a desire to include themselves into something.

Ahhh, like in CD where everyone is tripping over themselves to show how loving clever and how much smarter they are than everyone else.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Or maybe it's because Arrow is full of obvious and not-so-obvious easter eggs referencing the DCU all over the place.

Plot twist: Rat Priest is actually the current Spectre.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Krad posted:

Or maybe it's because Arrow is full of obvious and not-so-obvious easter eggs referencing the DCU all over the place.

Plot twist: Rat Priest is actually the current Spectre.

There's a difference between a reference and a not-reference. They're actually referencing the guy from Shawshank, the one who had a mouse. Because they're both prisoners who have mice, you see.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Drifter posted:

There's a difference between a reference and a not-reference. They're actually referencing the guy from Shawshank, the one who had a mouse. Because they're both prisoners who have mice, you see.

You mean The Green Mile.

Wait a minute... of course! Green. That explains everything. :ms:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Lex Luther was a guard at Shawshank....

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Krad posted:

You mean The Green Mile.

drat, you out detectived me, Detective.

(that was a Batman reference, because Nightwing will be on the show next season)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rhyno posted:

Detective Lance

He has a bit in common with Larry Lance from the comics, and I think his full name is even Quentin Larry Lance, so he's technically more of a reimagining.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Drifter posted:

In Shawshank, it was a Blackbirdcanary.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

jscolon2.0 posted:

In Shawshank, it was a Blackbirdcanary.

Didn't morgan freeman have a mouse?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Drifter posted:

Didn't morgan freeman have a mouse?

He did do a lot of voicework for a movie about...a Penguin!

My god, it's like a puzzle in four dimensions.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bad Moon posted:

He did do a lot of voicework for a movie about...a Penguin!

My god, it's like a puzzle in four dimensions.

Penguins look like priests in their robes. A penguin therefore is a BIRD...of PRAY.

BIRDS OF PREY.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Krad posted:

You mean The Green Mile.

That was the Kingpin! Arrow is going to cross over into the Marvel Cinematic Universe!

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

boom boom boom posted:

That was the Kingpin! Arrow is going to cross over into the Marvel Cinematic Universe!

Didn't Patton Oswalt cover this on Parks and Recreation?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
You know, even if Slade or Brother Blood survive this season, wonder who they will use for season three. Most obvious would be the League, or one of its million splinter groups, but personally, I'd really like to see Nantas. They already have the Deathstroke connection and about three years of Island stories left, even with the trip to Russia.

Also, has Slade actually been called Deathstroke? I have a vague memory that it came up with regard to Wintergreen in season one, but I am not sure.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

e X posted:

You know, even if Slade or Brother Blood survive this season, wonder who they will use for season three. Most obvious would be the League, or one of its million splinter groups, but personally, I'd really like to see Nantas. They already have the Deathstroke connection and about three years of Island stories left, even with the trip to Russia.

Also, has Slade actually been called Deathstroke? I have a vague memory that it came up with regard to Wintergreen in season one, but I am not sure.

I'm fairly certain that Slade has only been called Slade thus far.

In the preview for Suicide Squad and the trailer for the rest of the season, Amanda Waller mentions Deathstroke.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I just watched the last episode last night, man that was so intense.

The scenes with Ollie and Slade in the mansion were just like a fantastic powder keg with two characters aware of the other secrets having to keep a lid on what's going on for the benefit of the bystanders who aren't in on the secrets. That is when the superhero/ secret Identity genre is at it's best. (Like the classic Spider-Man/Peter Parker vs Venom/Eddy Brock dynamic.) So I have to congratulate the shows writers and director for doing an awesome job with the episode.
I also have to say the plan to get on the boat was clever and well done. I think another show would have just gone with "and then our heroes swim oout to the ship or steal the henchemen's boat." This was something a bit above that.

Now for speculation on future episodes based solely on what we've seen.

1) Diggle getting knocked out. This confirms that Slade has more minions then just Brother Blood. I think it's also telling that we don't see who knocks out Diggle but from the brief glimpse it looked like a woman in in some kind of body armour.
It could be Huntress or a new character.

2) Mirakuru. The scene where they burned the boxes, it was obvious the drug wasn't going to be in them. But I do find it really interesting that Mirakuru has left the island (even if we've only see it go to the Amazo.)
Prior to this what we were told was all the stuff was destroyed on the island and the only source of it now is making a derivative from Slade's blood.
But now that we've seen it been brought to the boat (and we know people from the boat are going to somehow end up reaching the mainland) it's conceivable that some more Mirakuru is going to be at large in the Arrow world. (Hell Ivo's plot isn't over yet, he didn't get killed by Slade this episode. So I wouldn't be surprised if he steals some of the stuff to use on himself.)

Two other minor little things.

3) The details we see on the boat indicate the boat really is called the Amazo (going by the life buoys.) And not what I originally thought a ship called the Amazon, where the N was scrapped off by time.

4) I wonder who Ivo was talking to. I know it's probably a doctor for his wife, but it could be some connection with a larger organization. Like whoever was paying Fyers to blow up the Chinese airliners.

5) What was up with Slade saying he has no wife and children? I thought in Season 1 he said that him and Billy Wintergreen were godfathers to each other's kids? May have to rewatch S1 Island episodes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ivo, in the captains part of the boat? He WAS talking to his batshit crazy/sick wife. No doctor.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Drifter posted:

Ivo, in the captains part of the boat? He WAS talking to his batshit crazy/sick wife. No doctor.

Before that, he was on the radio with someone asking if her condition had changed at all.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
H.I.V.E. could be season 3. They haven't really said anything about it past when Diggle searched it.

I have no knowledge of it that isn't the teen titans cartoon though (I would like to see Jinx though).

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

4) I wonder who Ivo was talking to. I know it's probably a doctor for his wife, but it could be some connection with a larger organization. Like whoever was paying Fyers to blow up the Chinese airliners.

A horrifically bad actress is who he was talking to. Seriously, her delivery made me cringe. That was RE1 Jill Valentine levels of awkward and stilted. :geno:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Spergatory posted:

A horrifically bad actress is who he was talking to. Seriously, her delivery made me cringe. That was RE1 Jill Valentine levels of awkward and stilted. :geno:

The impression I got by the conversation was that she (Ivo's wife, Jessica) had some type of disease that effected her mind. Think something like Alzhimers or Dementia (which is why Ivo is looking for Mirakuru in the first place.)
In which case, her delivery is pretty apt.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Unlikely, that character is going to be in the Flash TV show.

The priest did nothing that identifies him as any particular character for now.

He was Rick the Vic; next season will feature John Constantine and things are gonna get really strange. :derp:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Binary Logic posted:

He was Rick the Vic; next season will feature John Constantine and things are gonna get really strange. :derp:

Hopefully this Goyer helmed Constantine show never comes to light. For gods sake, they cast a Welshman.

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
I've seen people theorising that Ivo is Felicity's vanished dad. This is gonna happen with every older male character until he's introduced isn't it?

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Spergatory posted:

Uh, that was the point I thought? She had some terrible brain disorder. She was talking to her husband and didn't even know.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The Libearian posted:

I've seen people theorising that Ivo is Felicity's vanished dad. This is gonna happen with every older male character until he's introduced isn't it?

Until proven otherwise, I'm sticking with my theory that Felicity is Oliver's half-sister.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

BlackJosh posted:

Uh, that was the point I thought? She had some terrible brain disorder. She was talking to her husband and didn't even know.

I have an aunt with Frontotemporal Dementia and a grandmother with advanced Alzheimer's, and neither of them sounds anything like that lady. I guess there could be brain conditions that make you speak in a flat monotone, but until the show says otherwise, it was bad acting. :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spergatory posted:

I have an aunt with Frontotemporal Dementia and a grandmother with advanced Alzheimer's, and neither of them sounds anything like that lady. I guess there could be brain conditions that make you speak in a flat monotone, but until the show says otherwise, it was bad acting. :colbert:

Hopefully the person who plays the wife will be good at parkour or something, so people can think she's a good actress.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BlackJosh posted:

Did they ever say what it was? I'd honestly entirely forgotten about Ivo's motivation (since it was rather forgettable in the grand scheme of atrocities), and interpreted the conversation as his wife not really giving a poo poo because her husband left her to go chasing some miracle cure around the world when (to her point of view) she'd rather live out the rest of her life comfortably with the man she loved.

That's what her delivery struck me as, since Ivo also sounded strained talking to her.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's supposed to be some sort of memory disorder from the sounds of it. Long term works, but seemingly no short term.

Had we even heard Ivo's motivation before anyway?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Warmachine posted:

Did they ever say what it was? I'd honestly entirely forgotten about Ivo's motivation (since it was rather forgettable in the grand scheme of atrocities), and interpreted the conversation as his wife not really giving a poo poo because her husband left her to go chasing some miracle cure around the world when (to her point of view) she'd rather live out the rest of her life comfortably with the man she loved.

That's what her delivery struck me as, since Ivo also sounded strained talking to her.

I interpreted it as her having Alzheimer's or something and he was straining to not cry as he heard the woman he loves not remember him at all.

Aphrodite posted:

Had we even heard Ivo's motivation before anyway?

His intro scene ended with him saying "I'm going to save the human race." This was the first time we heard anything besides general evil scientist stuff.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

It heavily implied that Fyers was talking to Amanda Waller, fwiw.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Every time she's shown up they've focused on her legs first just like that scene was setup.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
The thing is, is Waller really going to order a civilian airliner shot down killing hundreds of innocents? I know she is dark, and shadowy, but that seems like a bigger line to cross that she wouldn't do.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

The thing is, is Waller really going to order a civilian airliner shot down killing hundreds of innocents? I know she is dark, and shadowy, but that seems like a bigger line to cross that she wouldn't do.

Yeah that's my problem with that.

Waller (and presumably ARGUS) are Government which can mean doing shady things, but that's more like "taking convicted criminals and having them run black ops" or "killing people who are actual threats to the free world."
I think "hiring a mercenary to commit terrorist acts and actively destabilize one of the worlds superpowers" seems like acting against America's interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Especially since killing the Chinese Economy, especially imports and exports, would kill the American one.

• Locked thread