Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The thing is...sometimes a person that is on a team that loses a lot still wins the game. Not even a couple seasons ago, a woman that went to every tribal won the game. It's a mildly more risky way to play, but thinking beyond "win the challenges" is a valid and sometimes winning way to play.

"Mildly risky" :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

KARMA! posted:

"Mildly risky" :thumbsup:

Hey, 1 out of 6 people on the "lose every challenge" tribe won the game, while 0 out of 12 of the people on winning tribes won the game.

You can't argue with math!

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Winning early on long-term has pretty huge advantages most of the time. Your team collects the early rewards and denies them to other teams, so presumably the nature of the game wears you down slower. When you come into the merge, you have more people you have a connection/possible alliance with and information about. And of course there are fewer times you have to dodge being voted off. The three tribe dynamic has mitigated the bigger tribe annihilating the smaller tribe, but it's still way better to try to win those early challenges. It still serves you well long-term.

Marking a person as a late game threat is kind of pointless when people and their position often change drastically over the course of the game. David decided Garret was a late-game threat (and "eliminated" him by picking him for whatever unknown poo poo was going to happen at the beginning) but he probably would have eventually suffered from Ripped Starved Dude syndrome and crapped out like guys like James tend to do.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think some players go too far with the "we need to win challenges!" thing in terms of deciding who they're going to vote off. But if you go around deciding every competent person on your tribe is a late-game threat then you're going to implode your team and end up at a bigger disadvantage.

James315
Dec 17, 2006

315 [Mp 40] everyone

Binary Logic posted:

Tony did the classic cop move of seperating 2 perps and telling one, "Your buddy in the other cell told me that..."

I was surprised Sarah fell for it so easily. The Know-It-Alls said that even though it worked for Tony the danger is that if Sarah finds out (by taking to the other people), Tony will be in serious trouble. Also that Tony really got a lucky break at the end when Sarah dropped in the hammock and Lindsay derisively laughed at her, proving his point.

Tony did it in a clever way, using flattery: "They said they wanted to target you because they said you're the smart one." That probably went a ways toward helping convince her it was the truth.

Meanwhile, on the Brains tribe, they've managed to subsist on 5% of their original rice for three days. I hope they address this somehow in the next episode, rather than just giving them an off-screen refill of their rice like Brandon Hantz's tribe.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Metropolis posted:

Brains tribe still sucked at that challenge even though they didn't lose. J'tia was trying to toss like, droplets sometimes. If everything falls out just toss the bucket back.

I think Jeff specifically said that they need to finish the chain whether the bucket is empty or not.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Hope Brice comes back for at least one more season. He's the talk of the town in my apartment.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It was worth seeing Brice voted out just for that goodbye speech. I was laughing my rear end off.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Is there a link to it? My DVR cut it off.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

James315 posted:

Meanwhile, on the Brains tribe, they've managed to subsist on 5% of their original rice for three days. I hope they address this somehow in the next episode, rather than just giving them an off-screen refill of their rice like Brandon Hantz's tribe.

"off screen refill of their rice" is a really weird way of saying "there was a tribal swap".

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
On RHAP Rob C mentioned they wouldn't let someone legit starve till it was dangerous or something. They'd offer some sort of trade for more rice like giving up a reward or dismantling their shelter.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Asiina posted:

Hey, 1 out of 6 people on the "lose every challenge" tribe won the game, while 0 out of 12 of the people on winning tribes won the game.

You can't argue with math!

Winning every single challenge isn't exactly ideal though, even though it's better than losing every challenge.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

BGrifter posted:

On RHAP Rob C mentioned they wouldn't let someone legit starve till it was dangerous or something. They'd offer some sort of trade for more rice like giving up a reward or dismantling their shelter.

Yeah I've heard this said in many variations from Survivor people. The producers have no interest in people starving. They want people active, scrambling and playing hard in the competitions. The only really extreme nature element left is you are sleeping out there, in the rain and bugs.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Jesus had a pretty rough time on Survivor. Three days later he Redemption Islanded his way back in and won though. Pretty bullshit season if you ask me.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

BGrifter posted:

Jesus had a pretty rough time on Survivor. Three days later he Redemption Islanded his way back in and won though. Pretty bullshit season if you ask me.

Yeah but at least Judas didn't win, he backstabbed everybody that season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Man, one of the things I love most about Survivor is watching smug assholes hit the island running, think they have the game in control, get all cocky in confessionals and tribal, and then get their rear end sent home. Bonus points for being a sore loser. Brice was kind of amusing and the rest of the non-LJ tribe is pretty forgettable but Brice was going to wear thing really quick, especially if he was in the power alliance. You could see he was itching to throw that weight around.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that Spencer and Tasha were as much to blame for that challenge as J'tia, if not more. They just lacked the strength to toss the buckets and J'tia seemed to be rarely getting water. J'tia sucks but so does the rest of her tribe.

And Spencer's doing a solid job playing the lovely hand he's been dealt but I don't think he's really doing anything praiseworthy yet. I hope he can find a way to survive because I rather see him in the later part of the game than probably any of his tribe mates. But for him to survive another Council before some kind of swap/merge he might have to do more than he is doing, or pray for another J'tia meltdown.

I was impressed with Sarah last week so I'm kind of sad to see her fall for Tony's silliness this week. I think she got a little high on being right about him and is letting that and "blue blood" blind her. Hopefully she wakes up and catches some of Tony's craziness.

BGrifter posted:

Yeah, I assume if things get bad enough they'll do like Australia and offer to trade rice for something valuable. Or I was half expecting second prize in the challenge to be a bag of rice with an option to choose that if you win 1st. But let's remember its like day 9. "5%" of their rice is probably more than a tiny amount, they're probably not super beat up yet, and they probably haven't picked clean the natural resources around them. They probably could have survived the non challenge days on a couple of pieces of fruit each or something. The rice is probably something that will affect them more if they can keep winning and start to eat away at their rations.

Robnoxious posted:

Even in Tasha's confessional she said wouldn't be hesitant to cut J'tia loose despite their soul sista connection (which is really the only reason she hasn't been cut yet).
This feels like a really ugly implication to me. The two black girls might have allied because they were black but they also might have allied because the three white people allied against them. If you believe Tasha (and I do) she was willing to cut J'tia until Garret pulled all that crap and exposed his alliance. She was saying right after the open meeting that an alliance was obvious and Garrett confirmed it in Tribal. So Tasha was just worried that if J'tia went home she was going home next. She tried to save J'tia because it stood to better her position on the tribe and she felt she had nothing to lose.

Propaganda Machine posted:

I can only give shits about Brawn at this point. I'll put it up to opinion:

Do we like Woo, who has gotten a couple of reasonable confessionals and character building moments, or Vin Diesel, who's getting sold over the top? I can't tell if Woo will be a boring mid-season boot or a powerful dark horse. Likewise, I can't tell if Vin Diesel will go all Shamar, or turn into Ressel 2.0.
We haven't seen enough of Woo to really know but I think he's got the making for a very likable and skilled social and competition player. The question is how he is strategically but Brawn hasn't been tested on that yet. But he's got the makings of my favorite type of player. Solid at surviving, strong in challenges, good guy. It's just a question of how he plays the game when it comes time.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 7, 2014

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

STAC Goat posted:

This feels like a really ugly implication to me. The two black girls might have allied because they were black but they also might have allied because the three white people allied against them. If you believe Tasha (and I do) she was willing to cut J'tia until Garret pulled all that crap and exposed his alliance. She was saying right after the open meeting that an alliance was obvious and Garrett confirmed it in Tribal. So Tasha was just worried that if J'tia went home she was going home next. She tried to save J'tia because it stood to better her position on the tribe and she felt she had nothing to lose.

Yeah, this seems pretty spot-on. From what we've seen so far, I didn't get any sense that Tasha gives a flying gently caress about J'tia's game, even before the monumental gently caress ups. She just recognized that after cutting that dead weight from their team, it was either her or Cass whose neck would be next on the chopping block with Garrett and Spencer obviously being in cahoots. And if Cass was in on that alliance like she suspected, it was a sure thing that Tasha would be the go-to boot. Keeping J'tia around at all served the dual purpose of acting as a bullet-shield for future tribal councils as well as getting enough votes under her belt for one round of voting to put herself at the top, where she can rearrange alliances and come at the game from a better place than "win challenges and pray they don't cut me first". If she had voted out J'tia, she wouldn't have an angle on anyone other than throwing Cass to the wolves and hoping that it works as bait.

Generic American fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 7, 2014

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Unfortunately, I basically decided to hate Spencer the moment he started talking to Kass about how it was "obvious" that he and Garret should ally with her over the two black women (especially since Tasha hasn't done anything to make her an obvious person to exclude), because of all the weird implications of that statement. I honestly want to see him go when the first chance comes up. I'm also really liking Tasha's game so far, as well as Kass's, so we'll see where things go.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Unfortunately, I basically decided to hate Spencer the moment he started talking to Kass about how it was "obvious" that he and Garret should ally with her over the two black women (especially since Tasha hasn't done anything to make her an obvious person to exclude), because of all the weird implications of that statement. I honestly want to see him go when the first chance comes up. I'm also really liking Tasha's game so far, as well as Kass's, so we'll see where things go.

ehhh I mean, that's lovely for sure, but with the way they edit these things, that could easily be out of context

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

In the early game, everyone tells everyone (whenever some people happen to be around and others aren't) that they should ally against the people who aren't there and that they should do so is "obvious". I don't really think anything more can be read into that.

Plus, I think "all guy alliance" or "all girl alliance" is just as hosed up a concept as "all white alliance" etc, but Survivor watchers have just been desensitised to that happening and so it's apparently totally ok now.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

In Spencer's defense, this is after the J'tia shelter failure and a lackluster performance by both Tasha and J'Tia in the challenge. You can make it a racial thing if you want, but that your mind goes there first tells us more about you than Spencer.

Shakugan posted:

Plus, I think "all guy alliance" or "all girl alliance" is just as hosed up a concept as "all white alliance" etc, but Survivor watchers have just been desensitised to that happening and so it's apparently totally ok now.

Weirdly enough, those all-girl alliances seem to happen a lot and its really weird to me.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Has there ever been an all girls alliance that did well, aside from Kim's group on One World?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Has there ever been an all girls alliance that did well, aside from Kim's group on One World?

Micronesia. Erik's idol.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Sand Monster posted:

Micronesia. Erik's idol.

Aka, the Black Widow Brigade.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

I love that smug bastard so much. That council was one of the best ever.

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

Seems like everyone is planning for "day 39" with every move at this point. It's ridiculous but at least it's turning out to be a season of players - even if they're clumsy, heavy handed ones.

Based on the last episode, looks like LJ could go far. He has a good head on his shoulders and is a physical threat too. It doesn't seem like relying on his looks has been a major factor for him in his life, whereas tribal showed that thinking on command was a new and confusing experience for much of the Beauty tribe.

Talk of the town is that LJ's the one to watch.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

Poque posted:

I love that smug bastard so much. That council was one of the best ever.

This man has correct opinions about things.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

This is exactly why I used the qualifier of "did well" :)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

LeJackal posted:

In Spencer's defense, this is after the J'tia shelter failure and a lackluster performance by both Tasha and J'Tia in the challenge. You can make it a racial thing if you want, but that your mind goes there first tells us more about you than Spencer.

Weirdly enough, those all-girl alliances seem to happen a lot and its really weird to me.

Here's the problem: African-American women are almost always immediately targeted by their tribes for early expulsion on the show. There have been exceptions (maybe without the S), but it's at the point where it's feeling gross. Along with the every-other-season "wow this black guy is really lazy and/or crazy" I'm having a hard time thinking it's all in certain poster's heads.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
White people do not have a monopoly on being crazy.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'm a little leery about how frequent it is myself but I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt for now and blame the types of African-American women they've cast in recent years. Less Cirie/Taj and more Na'onka.

The obvious hole in that is Francesca and Cirie's early boot. But I believe both of those are out of respect for their gameplay ability and not racially motivated. Boston Rob had repeatedly stated Francesca was the player he was most afraid of, and everybody knows Cirie is an incredibly dangerous Survivor player.

Still I will admit on the surface it doesn't look good.

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

Brice was a reasonable strategic boot though. Morgan is not really a threat and everyone else is part of the majority alliance.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Francesca's problem is that she's very obviously intelligent and personable but she doesn't really appear athletic enough that removing her in the team stages would be detrimental to challenge success.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Francessa also doesn't seem to hide her game well. If I remember correctly both times she went it was basically because people quickly identified her as Someone who could see through their bullshit and she failed to convince them otherwise. Part of the game is making the tribe think you're less of a threat than you are.

Eliminating Brice made sense since he was on the outside alliance and seems like more of a physical and game threaten then Morgan. The only real reason to vote out Morgan would have been the possabilty of her having the idol, but between LJ having it and her not using it before the first vote it probably would have paranoia to still think that way.

I'm also not thinking there was any race stuff behind the brains. The tribe broke into duos early like it always does. When David was voted out that left Kass alone and a Garret and Spencer picked her up. It just happened they were white and the outsiders were black. I suppose there's a possible deeper issue of how often the black people "just happen" to be on the outside and I would love to see more evenly distributed seasons like Yul's but I wouldn't want to apply racial stuff based on a pattern to individuals without some evidence. If there's a problem its the system.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 7, 2014

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Survivor just needs to cast more minorities, don't need to have whites ALWAYS outnumber everyone else in a 2 or 3 to 1 one ratio.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I'm also not thinking there was any race stuff behind the brains. The tribe broke into duos early like it always does. When David was voted out that left Kass alone and a Garret and Spencer picked her up. It just happened they were white and the outsiders were black. I suppose there's a possible deeper issue of how often the black people "just happen" to be on the outside and I would love to see more evenly distributed seasons like Yul's but I wouldn't want to apply racial stuff based on a pattern to individuals without some evidence. If there's a problem its the system.

Based on what we saw, J'Tia had also not endeared herself to those three with her bossiness and perceived laziness (ordering others to work).

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

Although I have to say, I did notice that with the removal of Brice, the "Beauty" tribe is now 100% white. And even before that, all of the women are white. I'm an equal opportunity sad horny reality watcher. Are there no attractive Asian or Latin women looking for work in LA? (that's sarcasm, there are literally 1000s)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I just want them to cast a black person who can swim, who gets really mad when the other players try to make them sit out at the first swimming challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm really curious how much of Fransesquah's second first-boot was influenced by the "this will be hilarious" effect. But honestly, at least her first time around, it seemed to be the same reason David got booted first this season - way too much strategizing and endgame focus when you just need to move forward as a team.

TheChad posted:

Survivor just needs to cast more minorities, don't need to have whites ALWAYS outnumber everyone else in a 2 or 3 to 1 one ratio.

All seasons should be like Cook Islands, but no seasons should be like Fiji. A Survivor quandary.

• Locked thread