Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cippalippus posted:

USSR and USA are/were modern countries with a degree of respect for the human lives of their citizen, which can't be said of 60s/70s China or India. Or even today.

Please go on about how the US and USSR respect the lives of their citizens while the Chinese and Indians don't.

What exactly do you think would account for this? It certainly can't be political ideology, as the US and India are both democracies and the USSR and China are both Marxist (to varying degrees - whatever China is it isn't a fully fledged democracy).

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Who wants to buy a Tu-95?

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Cyrano4747 posted:

Please go on about how the US and USSR respect the lives of their citizens while the Chinese and Indians don't.

What exactly do you think would account for this? It certainly can't be political ideology, as the US and India are both democracies and the USSR and China are both Marxist (to varying degrees - whatever China is it isn't a fully fledged democracy).

:allears:

Look better, I specified in the 60s/70s. While lumping India with China might be unfair, you can't deny that what happened in China (cultural revolution) in those years was too extreme even for the Soviet loving Union, or the USA. In those same years, both USA and USSR made significant progress, the former abolishing most of its racist/segregationist legislation, the latter with the various de-stalinization campaigns.

edit: oh yeah, I see the "even today". Disregard that part, there was a sentence I edited out.

Cippalippus fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 6, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

"Get free insurance quotes." Yeah. Sure.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

I would wait for the price to come down, kind of a bear market for those

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Doesn't ship to Russian Federation :v:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

quote:

Shipping and handling

If your vehicle is near you, just make arrangements with the seller to pick it up. If it's further away, you can either fly or drive to the car's location, or you can hire a shipping service to get it delivered to your door. The seller may have additional options available, so check their description for more information
Item Location: Dnjepopetrowsk, Ukraine
Shipping to: Worldwide
Excludes: Africa, Central America and Caribbean, Oceania, Southeast Asia, South America, Bermuda, Mexico, Russian Federation, Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Hungary, Latvia, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan Republic, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Maldives, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Oman, Yemen

:v:

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Snowdens Secret posted:

I would wait for the price to come down, kind of a bear market for those

:thumbsup:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

I'm betting Ukraine is really kicking themselves over listening to us and getting rid of the nukes the fallen USSR left in their territory.

Yeah I forget if it was here or elsewhere that I saw this posted but it's basically a big gently caress you/reminder to anyone that a promise to protect you if you give up your nukes it worthless coming from Europe/the USA (and honestly probably from anyone). NATO/EU membership might give you a chance of being defended but at this point I honestly wonder if that is even enough.

Alaan posted:

And everyone else is glad they DID get rid of them because the list of bad factors is getting long: a new and unstable government, a possibly leaving region, bullied by Russia, and armed with nukes is not what I call a happy combination. Especially when Russia is openly courting senior military officials to side with their puppet ex-pres.

Yeah a country should definitely give a gently caress about everyone else since obviously invasion to their own detriment is better than other people suffering from nuclear fallout. Basically what VikingSkull said:

VikingSkull posted:

Really if anything the last decade and a half has shown that if you're a shitheel leader of a backwater fuckhole and you don't wanna be invaded by a world power, you better get crackin' them atoms.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think the problem would be different, but not necessarily better. You better hope everyone in the command and control loop of your nukes are loyal to your new government, and not to the nutjob(who has a huge chunk of the countries money) that is having his citizens gunned down in the street.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I would like to buy that Tu95, turn the bomb bay into a gay bar and name the entire thing the "bear patrol".

Then fly it along russian airspace blasting gay propaganda across the airways. :gay:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Totally TWISTED posted:

Yeah I forget if it was here or elsewhere that I saw this posted but it's basically a big gently caress you/reminder to anyone that a promise to protect you if you give up your nukes it worthless coming from Europe/the USA (and honestly probably from anyone). NATO/EU membership might give you a chance of being defended but at this point I honestly wonder if that is even enough.

Yeah a country should definitely give a gently caress about everyone else since obviously invasion to their own detriment is better than other people suffering from nuclear fallout. Basically what VikingSkull said:

The problem is they likely couldn't have maintained them.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Cippalippus posted:

You're making a big deal about nothing, honestly. South Africa would've never used the nukes because, as you remember and said, they didn't have enemies.

I don't know if you know this but apartheid was somewhat upsetting to many people.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I thought they were worried about wars with their neighbors and wanted an ace in the hole. So what was the delivery system, anyway?

From what I heard their primary target was their own cities in the event of a successful black revolt so it wouldn't require anything too advanced.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The Sourh African chem/biological weapons were intended for use on their own population, the nuclear weapons were intended as a deterrent against the Cubans and other Soviet sponsored forces.

Among other things the South Africans looked into weaponizing some sort of sterilizing agent for general use and I think they actually did weaponize MDMA for riot control.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Smiling Jack posted:

The Sourh African chem/biological weapons were intended for use on their own population, the nuclear weapons were intended as a deterrent against the Cubans and other Soviet sponsored forces.

Among other things the South Africans looked into weaponizing some sort of sterilizing agent for general use and I think they actually did weaponize MDMA for riot control.

Weaponized MDMA? Goes from a riot to a party with just one dose!

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Totally TWISTED posted:

We never agreed to protect them. Read the actual text of the Budapest Memorandum. Far from being some sort of pseudo-Article V, all the US, the UK, and Russia (as well as France and China, in a separate but related agreement) agreed to was:

- respect the sovereignty of Ukraine
- refrain from the threat of use of force against Ukraine's independence
- refrain from economic coercion (something you could argue the UK and France violated through the recent EU discussions)
- promised to take immediate UNSC action if Ukraine was ever the victim of aggression involving nuclear weapons (emphasis mine)
- reaffirmed their commitment under the NPT to not use nukes against a non-nuclear weapon state party to the NPT
- Agreed to consult in the event a situation arises concerning these commitments.

The only thing the US and UK are obligated to do is consult, which we have done and are doing. Not invading Ukraine was on each power that signed the agreement to hold themselves to. If you are going to sign an agreement that relies on Russia to unilaterally restrain themselves from acting aggressively against you, a country with a weak military in Eastern Europe that historically has fallen within the Russian sphere of influence, that kind of falls in the "fool me twice to infinity" category.

And EU membership doesn't count for poo poo if you want to have a big brother to come protect you. NATO and Article V is the only one that matters as far as security guarantees go. Which is why this push to extend NATO east was loving stupid and hopefully this will put the final nail in the coffin for continued NATO eastern expansion.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Nukes would have made everything worse for Ukraine. Either the existing oligarch regime would have been propped up by all means by the US and Russia, or the Russians would have been applauded for invading in the case of massive political unrest. gently caress, there'd be C-5's landing with whores, beer and pizza for the soldiers.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

iyaayas01 posted:

And EU membership doesn't count for poo poo if you want to have a big brother to come protect you. NATO and Article V is the only one that matters as far as security guarantees go. Which is why this push to extend NATO east was loving stupid and hopefully this will put the final nail in the coffin for continued NATO eastern expansion.

Which is something Fogh Rasmussen kindly reminded Swedish politicians some time ago. Swedish politicians on all sides have sort of assumed US/NATO would save us in the case of Russian aggression.
The Ukrainian situation has highlighted the many shortfalls of the Swedish defence, including the fact that we are still using Hawk as AA and that the army is basically a colonial police. At the moment we can defend one part of the country versus limited opposition for roughly one week. Some politicians are lobbying to join NATO as a way to get a better defence without increasing spendings.

Also this week, the Swedish Air Force sent Gripen to Gotland, basically just for showing flag.
As I have understood it, we would be better served with putting some AA and anti-ship missiles there, since Gotland is in range of Iskander.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cardiac posted:

Also this week, the Swedish Air Force sent Gripen to Gotland, basically just for showing flag.
As I have understood it, we would be better served with putting some AA and anti-ship missiles there, since Gotland is in range of Iskander.

We don't have any meaningful AA or anti-ship missiles though, nor are we likely to get any in the near future. The kind of people who are clamoring for Aster-30 or Patriot are delusional; buying either of those systems would basically require increasing defense spending by 50-100% just for that. Buying a single live Patriot missile requires a seven-figure sum in USD, and the entire Swedish yearly defense budget is only about USD $6 billion. We did have truck-mounted anti-ship missiles though, for a few short years in the 90's. They disappeared again in the early 2000's because they weren't of any use in Afghanistan. Basing fighter jets on Gotland isn't very unusual either, it happens pretty regularly because it really is a very convenient location and it's not like we have any other bases left.

Still, Gotland is just as vulnerable to short- and medium-range ballistic missiles with non-nuclear warheads now as it was in 80's. The difference is that in the 80's there were at least two runways and several dispersed basing areas on the island, whereas now everything is just clustered together at the civilian Visby airport, and even if you manage to take off you're within range of S-300 batteries in Kalingrad, not to mention any naval assets in the southern Baltic sea. Also, in 80's, the USSR launching live ballistic missiles is very likely to have made everyone else with nukes extremely nervous and prone to start fingering the Big Red Button, so the reluctance to use such weapons may actually be smaller now than back then. Either way the island is basically impossible to defend against a determined attacker with Russia's capabilities, then as now. At least in the 80's doctrine said we had to try and make it prohibitively expensive, though.

Bonus for nerds (from 1975, though):

To give you an idea of scale, Gotland is a bit smaller than Long Island; about 1200 sq miles to Long Island's 1400. The population is about 57,000, to Long Island's 7.5 million.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 6, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

VikingSkull posted:

Really if anything the last decade and a half has shown that if you're a shitheel leader of a backwater fuckhole and you don't wanna be invaded by a world power, you better get crackin' them atoms.

Syria has a nuclear program?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Breaky posted:

Syria has a nuclear program?

They did until the Israelis bombed it flat a few years ago.

They're cheating six ways from Sunday on the chemweapons stuff, which has a similar diplomatic effect.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Snowdens Secret posted:

They did until the Israelis bombed it flat a few years ago.

They're cheating six ways from Sunday on the chemweapons stuff, which has a similar diplomatic effect.

I was being facetious but you're right. It's just... bothersome to see what we trumped up to go to war with Iraq over just kinda being not even talked about much now despite real incidents of Assad gassing his own populace. Anyway, probably best for another thread.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It's even got pictures of them taking the good engines off and hanging some red tags!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

As far as maintaining your nukes goes my thought on that is who's going to call your bluff and bet that your nukes won't go boom when you push the button?

iyaayas01 posted:

We never agreed to protect them. Read the actual text of the Budapest Memorandum. Far from being some sort of pseudo-Article V, all the US, the UK, and Russia (as well as France and China, in a separate but related agreement) agreed to was:

- respect the sovereignty of Ukraine
- refrain from the threat of use of force against Ukraine's independence
- refrain from economic coercion (something you could argue the UK and France violated through the recent EU discussions)
- promised to take immediate UNSC action if Ukraine was ever the victim of aggression involving nuclear weapons (emphasis mine)
- reaffirmed their commitment under the NPT to not use nukes against a non-nuclear weapon state party to the NPT
- Agreed to consult in the event a situation arises concerning these commitments.

The only thing the US and UK are obligated to do is consult, which we have done and are doing. Not invading Ukraine was on each power that signed the agreement to hold themselves to. If you are going to sign an agreement that relies on Russia to unilaterally restrain themselves from acting aggressively against you, a country with a weak military in Eastern Europe that historically has fallen within the Russian sphere of influence, that kind of falls in the "fool me twice to infinity" category.

My fault for not having read it and going off what others had said. Maybe geo-politically stupid (to expand NATO east) but it is sad that the former Soviet states are still being used as a buffer by both sides.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Sjurygg posted:

gently caress, there'd be C-5's landing breaking along the way with whores, beer and pizza for the soldiers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MrYenko posted:

It's even got pictures of them taking the good engines off and hanging some red tags!

It'd be funny if the three million dollar bid was Kim Jong Un looking to buy the People's First Heavy Bomber.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Does anyone know what the joystick by the radar-type screen is for? Remote guns or what?

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

Smiling Jack posted:

Weaponized MDMA? Hardly.
Basson was supplying a Civil Co-operation Bureau operation manufacturing high quality MDMA and Methaqualone and selling it on the streets to dissident students and the like, it certainly drove a significant amount of so-called third force activity in the run up to 1994 but Coast was nothing more than a weak excuse. It was really good MDMA too.

Weaponized crowd control agents used by the apartheid government:
CR, Denoted as Super Doom in the units fielding it. A play on words for the local bug spray called Doom Super. Came in a black spray can with a red high volume nozzle. That poo poo was devastating enough without the inventive "open mouth for baas" style that it was used in.
CN, CS and BZ were also manufactured.

All of the above were far better, quicker acting and easier to deliver than MDMA.

As far as the delineation on on-shore biochem weapon use, there was none. Biochemical and nuclear options were both external options.

ming-the-mazdaless fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 7, 2014

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
^^^ Lmao my mom still calls every insecticide ever 'Doom'.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

simplefish posted:

Does anyone know what the joystick by the radar-type screen is for? Remote guns or what?

The guns on the Bears were human-operated, so my best guess is the joystick's a manual training stick for the radar.

The reason I suggest this is because there's one on the B-52 at the Radar and Navigator's station:

That stick's too new to have ever been a gun control.

I will say one thing, I want to see the world through one of the Russian 'nose windows' before I die:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 7, 2014

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

Koesj posted:

^^^ Lmao my mom still calls every insecticide ever 'Doom'.

Yeah; god, it's annoying.

On the subject of riot control in the days of Apartheid, those with any interest should get:
http://www.galago.co.za/CAT1_035_b.htm

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
B52 question: do all seats in the B52 have the ability to eject or is that a capability not available to all crew?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Oxford Comma posted:

B52 question: do all seats in the B52 have the ability to eject or is that a capability not available to all crew?

Yes, they all get ejection seats. The navigator and radar navigator have to go out the bottom, though.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Space Gopher posted:

Yes, they all get ejection seats. The navigator and radar navigator have to go out the bottom, though.

That has to be Mr Toad's Wild Ride, for sure.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
All 6 crew have ejection seats, though 2 of them fire downwards.

More than you'll ever need to know about them:
http://www.ejectionsite.com/b-52.htm

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Oxford Comma posted:

That has to be Mr Toad's Wild Ride, for sure.

Just hope it isn't an emergency right after takeoff unless they have some sort of mechanism to only rocket you beneath the airframe a ways and then stop your descent once you're clear.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Like some sort of parachute?

Don't forget the B-52's role as a low-level penetration bomber.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The guns on the Bears were human-operated, so my best guess is the joystick's a manual training stick for the radar.

The reason I suggest this is because there's one on the B-52 at the Radar and Navigator's station:

That stick's too new to have ever been a gun control.

If it's anything like the B1 that's a nav/weather/bombing radar control.

Way to the right in this picture.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Like some sort of parachute?

Would a parachute deploy fast enough after you just ejected out of the bottom of a plane at something like 100 ft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

darnon posted:

Would a parachute deploy fast enough after you just ejected out of the bottom of a plane at something like 100 ft?

Unless the plane was standing still it probably doesn't matter as you'd have considerable forward velocity too.