Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Oh Japan. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well say goodbye to all those amazing aerodynamics Toyota loves to brag about.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
As much as I hate rice culture, I can't hate a riced out Prius. It's just too drat funny.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

2 Frugal 2 Furious

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
It feels like terrible car stuff has been following me the past 2 weeks. Allow me to show you some of my greatest finds!

Visibility is overrated. Clearly this hard working white collar person values his cars for extra filing space (preferably on the dashboard).

AMC got us all. Walter White didn't die, he just moved to New York.

Better stick some lovely flames on my beige Odyssey!

Please excuse the quality on these two.

Eat. Sleep. Race. In my stock CRV. Bang Bang JDM gang.

And my favorite of all. A sweet Honda Accord SRT.

:cripes:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sorry but putting an inappropriate "performance" badge on daily drivers is always funny.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Tha Chodesweller posted:

As much as I hate rice culture, I can't hate a riced out Prius. It's just too drat funny.

Seriously. That's just too funny, I can't possibly take it seriously. It rules.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I think it depends. This is funny:

This is just kind of sad:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Fucknag posted:

The best wiper setup is the one on this Luigi Colani-designed truck concept:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Falken posted:

The UK spec civic now looks like it's been attacked by bees. Look at all that puffyness. That or it's had an allergic reaction.

The front end is clean and I like it. The rest, not so much.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Tha Chodesweller posted:

I agree. Anything to do with pimping a goddamned Prius verges on art-car territory.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

anonumos posted:

I agree. Anything to do with pimping a goddamned Prius verges on art-car territory.

Owning a 300+ HP Prius is one of my bucket list items. Who doesn't want to dart around in a goddamn ridiculous car?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Owning a 300+ HP Prius is one of my bucket list items. Who doesn't want to dart around in a goddamn ridiculous car?

Me? I want a Saturn SC2 with an AMC straight six shoehorned into it. I don't care if it's possible, I just know that my lottery winnings will make it happen.*

* I'll never win, so it's moot.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Prius owners already dart around in a ridiculous car. Seriously, how is it every time I see a Prius it is in the HOV lane (with no passenger) doing 80-90 MPH and darting over to pass on the right?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

anonumos posted:

Me? I want a Saturn SC2 with an AMC straight six shoehorned into it. I don't care if it's possible, I just know that my lottery winnings will make it happen.*

* I'll never win, so it's moot.

Then you aren't a proper AI forums poster. :colbert: (Although a straight six in a Saturn is ridiculous, so I will rescind my previous statement.)

Geirskogul posted:

Prius owners already dart around in a ridiculous car. Seriously, how is it every time I see a Prius it is in the HOV lane (with no passenger) doing 80-90 MPH and darting over to pass on the right?

I don't know if it's confirmation bias or what, but yes, I do see a lot of Prius drivers doing ridiculous cutthroat driving maneuvers. And they aren't even on the phone or anything. Maybe I should think twice about putting a turbo Prius on the road.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Going back to Aquapel vs. Rain-x chat: Does aquapel leave that streaky mess on your windshield that rain-x sometimes does?

Yes, i realize thats due to putting too much rain-x on, but it's very easy to do, and harder to get rid of.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Goddamn it, wish I had my phone on me. I saw a Citroen Saxo today which had the following stickers: Mugen (erm) Pirelli (not one Pirelli on there, all budget), HKS and other super racecar type stickers. All poorly applied. The only modification to the vehicle I could see was an aftermarket stereo and a steering wheel cover.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I once saw a late '80s Fiesta / Festiva (whichever one had the three-banger) that had been painted a faded apricot pink. Huge green letters spelling out NEUSPEED spilled jauntily over the hood and down one fender; smaller performance stickers adorned both sides. You could've fit a football in the muffler mouth.

The coup de gras was the obviously borrowed insignia square in the middle of the tiny rear hatch, proudly proclaiming 'TAURUS'

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Then you aren't a proper AI forums poster. :colbert: (Although a straight six in a Saturn is ridiculous, so I will rescind my previous statement.)

I'm never going to be a "proper" lady AI forums poster. I'm undecided about where I would put the engine: up front where it can turn the car into a lawn dart in the corners; or in the back seat basically bending the entire thing down like Jet Li giving John Candy a "horsy" ride...

My AI goals are a little hosed up...

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Prius w/Cummings + smoke tune

Vertical stack, of course.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Runs great for about a mile before the CVT shreds itself into confetti, because you know you gotta leave the electric motor in so you can continue to call it a hybrid.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xzzy posted:

Runs great for about a mile before the CVT shreds itself into confetti, because you know you gotta leave the electric motor in so you can continue to call it a hybrid.

That's what the wipers are for.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Chinatown posted:

The front end is clean and I like it. The rest, not so much.

I don't mind it, but it is sad to see Honda go from having double wishbone setup at both ends of a Civic (till 2000-ish) to a McPherson Strut at the front and beam axle at the back

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

You Am I posted:

I don't mind it, but it is sad to see Honda go from having double wishbone setup at both ends of a Civic (till 2000-ish) to a McPherson Strut at the front and beam axle at the back

As a Honda owner with a (practically solid) beam axle rear, I can confirm that's 90% of the reason I want to get rid of it.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

Actually, the Prius doesn't use a variable-diameter pulley drive that one would typically associate with a CVT. The engine and the two electric motor/generators are connected to the drive train via a planetary gear. Differing the amount of torque and power in the electric motors regulates how much power and torque from the engine goes to the motor/generators and the wheels. It's pretty interesting how it actually works given just how different it is from a typical car's drive train.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Edward IV posted:

Actually, the Prius doesn't use a variable-diameter pulley drive that one would typically associate with a CVT. The engine and the two electric motor/generators are connected to the drive train via a planetary gear. Differing the amount of torque and power in the electric motors regulates how much power and torque from the engine goes to the motor/generators and the wheels. It's pretty interesting how it actually works given just how different it is from a typical car's drive train.

But everyone still calls it a CVT. :v:

And it's the reason you don't ever try to tow anything with a Prius. I read a theory somewhere the reason the traction control can't be disabled (without a wacky startup sequence) is because the electric motor will tear the planetary gears up if you spin the tires too long.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Edward IV posted:

This. Toyota's hybrid inverter drive is an awesome and extremely elegant piece of engineering that, unfortunately, is found in the prius.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Slavvy posted:

This. Toyota's hybrid inverter drive is an awesome and extremely elegant piece of engineering that, unfortunately, is found in the prius.

Just to be clear I'm not trying to rip on anything because of some "LOL PRIUS" sentiment. I think it's an amazing piece of tech and I don't think there's a better commuter car on the market right now.

Was just poking fun at how spectacularly it would fail if someone seriously tried to plug a Cummins into it to make a "diesel hybrid" because such a situation would be so far out of its design requirements.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

xzzy posted:

Just to be clear I'm not trying to rip on anything because of some "LOL PRIUS" sentiment. I think it's an amazing piece of tech and I don't think there's a better commuter car on the market right now.

Was just poking fun at how spectacularly it would fail if someone seriously tried to plug a Cummins into it to make a "diesel hybrid" because such a situation would be so far out of its design requirements.

:thejoke:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft it's not a joke if you don't spend two pages pointing out how funny it is.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

xzzy posted:

Pfft it's not a joke if you don't spend two pages pointing out how funny it is.

Ah, I see you follow PYFs Joke Posting Standard, but you forgot the extra two pages of goons pointing out all the ways that the joke wasn't funny and why you should feel bad for making it in the first place.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

xzzy posted:

Oh, I suppose you leave all the hybrid poo poo in, just to make it more ridiculous, but it'd be amusing enough to see a Prius cruising along, laying a smoke trail like a WWI destroyer on the way to Jutland.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Cargo strap Prius body to truck frame problem solved

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Bitchtard posted:

Cargo strap Prius body to truck frame problem solved

Drop Prius body on monster truck.

BIRKENSTOOOOOCK!

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

If I ever become super rich, this is one of the first things I plan on doing. I'd love to see the face of your typical prius owner as one drives by farting out diesel smoke.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

hot sauce posted:

If I ever become super rich, this is one of the first things I plan on doing. I'd love to see the face of your typical prius owner as one drives by farting out diesel smoke.

that might sound cool, but we've got plenty of Volkswagens and Fords and GM diesels that more than amply fill that niche, along with getting :smug: 60mpg (probably more like 30) here already.
Your typical Prius driver is an angry minicab operator.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

My stupid dream idea for a Prius was to just put a turbo on it like Blitz did with theirs or like this person did.

Content:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
How gross do you think the interior of that van is? It's gotta just be covered in a layer of cigarette tar.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

So I was going out for a run around in my car last Sunday, after having read through much of this thread and being glad that I don't see such abominations around where I am.

Then I looked up the road, and I couldn't believe it. It couldn't be, not here, I mean, no one who isn't a nostalgic American pining for cars of old could possibly want one of these, right?

Wrong. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

NOW YOU TOO CAN SUFFER AS WE HAVE. :getin:

Seriously though, why would anyone want to import the shittiest car GM has cranked out in a while. I mean, it looks kinda cool, but it sucks to drive, seems to break down a lot, and has a horrible interior even by GM standards.