Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Splicer posted:

I think Zack forgot to pay his bills.

According to his Twitter, traffic crashed it or something. It's back up now, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
His host shut it down because he's getting too much traffic :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The curse of great webcomics. :qq:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

His twitter makes me laugh.

quote:

So *strokes genie beard, levitates menacingly* you've solved another one of my bullshit languages

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

KittyEmpress posted:

He's also got a really interesting statement on how he pictures the languages.

quote:

I will take this opportunity to say that, as you may have noticed, spirit languages work a certain way. They're all earned through different conditions: living a century, doing bad thangs, etc. And I wanted their structure to reflect that! High Spirit is supposed to be/sound like "language aged," so I took normal letters and distorted them. Cursed Words are supposed to be/sound like "language recycled," so I spent an hour and a half doing a stupid word search in my own comic.

Er, to explain that better, in-universe it's made up of words that have already been spoken, reanimated and repurposed for this new language.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I can only think of Darth Nihlus from KOTOR 2 when I try to envision what Cursed Words would sound like.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I'm now looking forward to new bullshit languages almost as much as plot developments and more character screen time.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I'm now looking forward to new bullshit languages almost as much as plot developments and more character screen time.

Truly the Tolkien of our time

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Paramemetic posted:

He's mentioned before I think that the codes and such are meant for when the PoV character can't understand it. He may not need the codes after Ch. 5 simply because all the established PoV characters will possibly speak the language already.

Are you saying that our heroes will have... done crimes? :ohdear:

KittyEmpress posted:

Webcomic twitters are good, I think. That is my opinion.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

PleasingFungus posted:

Hold onto your butts, poo poo's about to go full on Unsounded dark up in here.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

Johnny will become our new protagonist, and you just KNOW he can speak murderskull.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Johnny will create a new language where each subject is a fist and each object is a face. There is only one verb.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

HMS Beagle posted:

Johnny will create a new language where each subject is a fist and each object is a face. There is only one verb.
Nah, there's three. Bullying, punching, and avant-gardening.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
So I think we can safely say its impossible for Spender NOT to have two spirits.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Looks like Isabel won't be able to use Eightfold's powers until she can get the book back. Will she reflect on her Grampa's advice?

More importantly, what are Isaac and Ed up to?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Cat Mattress posted:

Looks like Isabel won't be able to use Eightfold's powers until she can get the book back. Will she reflect on her Grampa's advice?

More importantly, what are Isaac and Ed up to?

Didn't she use it from a distance earlier? Spender commented on it.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Things in Spender's head: satan, an eldritch horror, a huge dork.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
A lot of info in this one. Spirit fusion can be used at will to give oneself super speed in combat. (Which I think we knew from Zack's comments.) And Spender may have usurped Issac as being MOST anime, since he uses the lions share of his POWER to keep the DARKNESS SEALED within his VERY SOUL. I'm half hoping he talks about switching to Second Gear when he unleashes his inner Hollow.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

I guess we know exactly what Spender means when he says that his mind is in a delicate balance.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish I had posted this a while ago, but yeah, this basically confirms that Spender not only has two spirits (which was suggested long ago based on the "delicate balance" thing, as well as the light and darkness motif on a more meta level), but that he's probably a medium rather than just a tool-using spectral. Edit: Though, since garbagesnake is able to possess Max even though it's in a tool rather than his body (presumably), Spender could just have a second, more aggressive tool. But he's also got that secrecy about letting people go into his mind-room; there being a big evil darkness spirit in there is a pretty good reason for that.

Unrelated, Spender's using the light from the glowy-eyes thing spectrals do when communing with their spirit as an attack here.

Tangent, Lucifer being the spirit of light he controls makes sense, given that being's particular role as the light-bearer.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 7, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Rather nasty looking shadows in panel 6. I wonder how big Spender's other spirit is.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
...we've seen bird-cage-light-spirit Lucifer for all of four panels, and already I'm liking his design.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I would not be surprised if the dark spirit is of an avian persuasion, just to complete the visual pun.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

A lot of info in this one. Spirit fusion can be used at will to give oneself super speed in combat. (Which I think we knew from Zack's comments.) And Spender may have usurped Issac as being MOST anime, since he uses the lions share of his POWER to keep the DARKNESS SEALED within his VERY SOUL. I'm half hoping he talks about switching to Second Gear when he unleashes his inner Hollow.

This is how I read it too. I'm guessing the Big Bad the ninja squirrels talked about him taking down is the very thing locked up in his head

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Jetamo posted:

...we've seen bird-cage-light-spirit Lucifer for all of four panels, and already I'm liking his design.

He's using his own cage head to make a shadow cage to hold the Shade Spirit in place. A constant battle to keep the horror in place and Spendor in Balance. And they can fuse :allears: If Spendor yells 'Gattai' then he's officially out anime-d Issac.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cat Mattress posted:

Looks like Isabel won't be able to use Eightfold's powers until she can get the book back.
I'm worried Eightfold is about to get ate :(

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
...I'm pretty sure Spender has completely forgotten about the four children in his care at tha moment.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

Max's backpack looks like it'll be right under Eightfold. I bet the dogs will threaten to eat Eightfold but Max with some quick thinking saves it by magnetizing his backpack and catching Eightfold along the way with it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Also it's only natural that Spender would be the only one more anime than Isaac: Who would get along less well than the two people who are so very alike?

Too much alike

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Roland Jones posted:

Unrelated, Spender's using the light from the glowy-eyes thing spectrals do when communing with their spirit as an attack here.

Haha, I didn't realize that on my first read-through. That's brilliant. (So to speak.)

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Lucifer being revealed puts the "caged boid" line here in relief: http://paranatural.net/index.php?id=168

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Brannock posted:

Lucifer being revealed puts the "caged boid" line here in relief: http://paranatural.net/index.php?id=168

It's amazing how real that phonetic accent is. Except for hweeyerms. :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

It's amazing how real that phonetic accent is. Except for hweeyerms. :allears:
juicy what?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He's using his own cage head to make a shadow cage to hold the Shade Spirit in place. A constant battle to keep the horror in place and Spendor in Balance. And they can fuse :allears: If Spendor yells 'Gattai' then he's officially out anime-d Issac.

Fusion is their term for the communing thing, I think. Lucifer talks about how speed won't be helpful in beating Forge, and one of the main advantages of a communion is that you suddenly move really, really fast. But it puts strain on Lucifer to do so, and he's already got his hands full holding back the other spirit.

big sperma shot
Jan 13, 2011

Big Cock Jerk Off with MASSIVE cum shot.
So while they're talking to their spirit and time is slowed down, they can still act on the outside world (and that's fusion)? I was under the impression that they were just sucked into their own mind

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So we're supposed to see this spirit as a boid but also as a creepy face, right? The folded wings its mustache, beak its nose, its birdy feet some messed up teeth, the tail a lolling tongue.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Calaveron posted:

So we're supposed to see this spirit as a boid but also as a creepy face, right? The folded wings its mustache, beak its nose, its birdy feet some messed up teeth, the tail a lolling tongue.
It took a reread before I could see anything but the creepy face.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Calaveron posted:

...I just realized it wasn't a face.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

big sperma shot posted:

So while they're talking to their spirit and time is slowed down, they can still act on the outside world (and that's fusion)? I was under the impression that they were just sucked into their own mind

Yeah Zack covered it in comments and such. When a Spectral does his spirit fusion, he goes into his weird slowed down time headspace, but he still moves and acts in the real world, superhumanly fast. All the stuff that appears in the spirit-zone are also 100% real to the spectral. When Issac entered his and there was a huge hole in the wall he could've literally just walked straight out the building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

I kinda anticipate this happening because then Grandpa would be totally vindicated in his whole "you can't rely on other things" speech.