Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Maremidon posted:

I wonder if Araki retcons more or less than Hideo Kojima.

Now you got me wondering how well Hideo could direct a Jojo game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Maremidon posted:

I wonder if Araki retcons more or less than Hideo Kojima.

Kojima would have tried to explain away how Annasui changed genders because of nanomachines and Giorno was actually an AI and thus couldn't visit Florida and the entire original universe was actually a simulation and that's why it's different in SBR.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
If Kojima made Jojo, stands would be explained by science even though ripple was paranormal.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Broseph Brostar posted:

If Kojima made Jojo, stands would be explained by science even though ripple was paranormal.

Stands were explained by science in Part 5, actually. They're the result of a microorganism/virus/thing that was dormant inside the meteorite the Arrow is made from. Though some stands can awaken out of sheer determination much like Tonio's. It's not super consistent, but in general the Part 5 explanation holds up most of the time.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Uznare posted:

Stands were explained by science in Part 5, actually. They're the result of a microorganism/virus/thing that was dormant inside the meteorite the Arrow is made from. Though some stands can awaken out of sheer determination much like Tonio's. It's not super consistent, but in general the Part 5 explanation holds up most of the time.

Didn't the meteorite thing come from Part 6 when that one guard could summon meteors and told Jolyne about it or something?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Aurora posted:

Didn't the meteorite thing come from Part 6 when that one guard could summon meteors and told Jolyne about it or something?

Nah, theres an explanation around volume 57(?) or so, where they talk about the meteorite and it's likened to natural selection. The crappy scans don't really explain it that way because they just make poo poo up on the spot.

Cody Banks
Mar 7, 2013
The best part of Stone Ocean is how Jolyne's hair buns can't decide which direction to point. It cracks me up to imagine them flopping all over the place like a bloodhound's ears.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

legendsuper posted:

Araki forgets stuff all the time.
My only complaint about part 3 is that we hardly get to see any of Joseph's Ripple or Dio's powers like body freezing or Space Ripper Stingy Eyes, all of which would have definitely come in handy on many occasions.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Soulcleaver posted:

Dio's powers like body freezing or Space Ripper Stingy Eyes, all of which would have definitely come in handy on many occasions.

Would they though? In Part 3 at least stands are completely unaffected by anything that's not a stand as well so he wouldn't be able to block stand attacks by freezing, and his eye beams would be subject to stopping time.

Then again if he had just laser-eyed Jotaro when he was pretending to be dead Jotaro wouldn't be pretending anymore, so.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

LordMune posted:

It could be that David Production is working with a different model, but in general this is not how anime funding works. Scheduling conflicts (or perhaps even something as simple as the the casting director changing their mind about the character) is more likely.

Thanks for cleaning that up.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Soulcleaver posted:

My only complaint about part 3 is that we hardly get to see any of Joseph's Ripple or Dio's powers like body freezing or Space Ripper Stingy Eyes, all of which would have definitely come in handy on many occasions.

Eh, Joseph's ripple was pretty much useless on anything except vampires so I can understand he didn't use it much. The eyes would have come in handy a lot though.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Joseph managed to make a pigeon come out of a lady's mouth using the Ripple, and Caesar could control body movements with it. It's not like it was COMPLETELY useless.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Also, freezing time and throwing knives and unfreezing time is infinitely cooler than eye water lasers.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nahxela posted:

Also, freezing time and throwing knives and unfreezing time is infinitely cooler than eye water lasers.

I'd love to see the list of games and animes that unabashedly copy DIO's stop time and throw knives routine. That more than anything is probably Jojo's most iconic thing.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well dudes, let's get some things straight here. First of all Kakyoin's VA is great. Second of all, Vento Aureo is great because of motherfucking Bruno and I won't accept any malingering of the man. And third of it all, Jolyne is the single most badass JoJo and gently caress you if you dare to disagree. Finally Mountain Tim is best Cowboy.

These are the noble truths.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If Joseph had remembered he had ripple then he never would have lost to D'arby :colbert:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I thought it was supposed to be Joseph stopped doing his ripple training, and that's why he looked slightly older than he should have. It would have been cool if he had some clever ripple trick during the drinking game with D'Arby, but Jotaro getting the opportunity to be bad rear end was worth it.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Well dudes, let's get some things straight here. First of all Kakyoin's VA is great. Second of all, Vento Aureo is great because of motherfucking Bruno and I won't accept any malingering of the man. And third of it all, Jolyne is the single most badass JoJo and gently caress you if you dare to disagree. Finally Mountain Tim is best Cowboy.

I dunno, Holhorse was a pretty cool cowpoke.

e:f,b

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well yeah, but it's kind if hard to not notice a glowing hand in a high-stakes alcoholic buoyancy contest.

Broseph Brostar posted:

I thought it was supposed to be Joseph stopped doing his ripple training, and that's why he looked slightly older than he should have. It would have been cool if he had some clever ripple trick during the drinking game with D'Arby, but Jotaro getting the opportunity to be bad rear end was worth it.

I think the reasoning was that, but he actually did only keep using the ripple to keep himself younger. Which is why he looked like he was in his late 40s when he was in his 60s at that point.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 8, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Cerebral Bore posted:

Until there is another cowboy that has horses bow to him these will be irrevocable facts.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

various bits in part 4 like characters suddenly becoming shorter

That's not a retcon. It just symbolizes Koichi's changed perception of them.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

a cartoon duck posted:

I'd love to see the list of games and animes that unabashedly copy DIO's stop time and throw knives routine. That more than anything is probably Jojo's most iconic thing.
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow has Zephyr:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l23YfkUbvnw

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

a cartoon duck posted:

This lists em, plus many more references besides.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

a cartoon duck posted:

Was it ever explained why the knifes can move near a person, but can't penetrate until the time stop ends?

Or is it just because it looks cool?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Once they leave Dio's hand they lose the power to move while time is stopped I guess.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Silver2195 posted:

That's not a retcon. It just symbolizes Koichi's changed perception of them.

Speaking of that, Hazamada was creepy as hell and it must have been really weird for everyone else to have him palling around them after Rohan revealed he wanted to rape a classmate and abused animals.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Didn't he tell Josuke something along those lines, or did he just complain to his stand about it.

I remember being a little :gonk: over him mentioning he made his stand turn into a girl he likes but couldn't actually do anything with it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've had to flat out stop reading for a bit at the part where Jolyne starts to rip the guard's toenail off. It is one of the most brutal things I've read, and it's too loving much.

Jolyne rules.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I find it really hard to decide whether Joseph or Jolyne is my favorite Jojo because while Joseph is neverendingly fun and great in every part he's in, Jolyne is just so hardcore.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I really like Jolyne! I wish there were more girl main Joestars though.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
My favorite is Johnny by quite a bit. I'm looking forward to possibly learning more about him in the current arc.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Uznare posted:

Nah, theres an explanation around volume 57(?) or so, where they talk about the meteorite and it's likened to natural selection. The crappy scans don't really explain it that way because they just make poo poo up on the spot.
This poo poo really makes me think Araki had a half-assed idea to make Stands derive from Cars somehow.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Didn't Joseph say something in Part 3 about Stands being an evolution of the Ripple? Or am I making that up?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

So are these PVS ever going to get subbed so I can shwo them to my anime only friends who have no idea what is going on?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I find it really hard to decide whether Joseph or Jolyne is my favorite Jojo because while Joseph is neverendingly fun and great in every part he's in, Jolyne is just so hardcore.

Jolyne is basically the goddamn Terminator if the Terminator were a twentysomething girl. She is a relentless asskicking machine, and if you get on her shitlist you'd better kiss your rear end goodbye.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

RatHat posted:

Didn't Joseph say something in Part 3 about Stands being an evolution of the Ripple? Or am I making that up?

I don't know about part 3 but in a bonus chapter in Steel Ball Run Araki explains that gaining a stand is the ultimate purpose of the ripple and the spin. I don't remember exactly but wasn't Gyro's stand, Ball Breaker, only created when he used the golden ratio? A ripple master could gain a stand the same way.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You can gain a Stand by perfecting a skill hard enough. It's like how Tonio got his Stand by practising cooking like a motherfucker.

Also Stands and the Ripple are two entirely different things. Otherwise DIO would have disintegrated the first time he used The World.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

You can gain a Stand by perfecting a skill hard enough. It's like how Tonio got his Stand by practising cooking like a motherfucker.

Underutilising Tonio was Part 4's greatest failing. Hell, underutilizing most stand users that weren't Okuyasu, Koichi and Rohan was. They all showed up to those "pose together to show that poo poo's getting real" shots but then never actually did anything.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

Also Stands and the Ripple are two entirely different things. Otherwise DIO would have disintegrated the first time he used The World.

I thought Tonio got hit by the arrow as well?

Also it isn't that ripple and stands are the same, it's just that there was a chapter of SBR that goes into how stands can manifest in various ways and that utter perfection at a skill such as the ripple or the spin or the abilities provided by the stone mask or the stone mask + aja would lead to a stand. Or you could just get stabbed by the arrow or cut yourself on the meteorite from either universe or traveling through the devil's palm or obtaining a piece of the corpse part. There are a variety of ways to force a stand but Araki said that just practice and obtaining the pinnacle of perfection at a skill can also manifest a stand (which we only really see happen in steel ball run with ball breaker and the final tusk)

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

RatHat posted:

Araki forgets stuff all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

Also it isn't that ripple and stands are the same, it's just that there was a chapter of SBR that goes into how stands can manifest in various ways and that utter perfection at a skill such as the ripple or the spin or the abilities provided by the stone mask or the stone mask + aja would lead to a stand.

I guess Tonpetty wasn't all that much of a master after all.

• Locked thread