Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
3 posts in a row, I know and I'm sorry. How does this look?

Not much bedding but I just cleaned it, more bedding gets added over time (aspen first, orchard grass second and then carefresh) and they get only a little bit when I clean, this way it's always a little different for them.

Edit: That is Athena on the left side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
Cecil update time! And a quick question!

He's doing great. We went through a stint where he was being a little escape artist in the modified dog kennel we were using, something Jenna never did. We had to rush out and buy him a cage and while it's not small, I think he's outgrown it. But he's still probably able to escape the other two we had. :toot:

To balance it out until we can find a bigger cage that suits his needs, I give him a lot of floor time and cuddle time. He sits on my shoulder, or wanders over my stomach and legs. :iia:

He's taken up some new habits. He'll climb up my chest or over from my shoulder and press his nose against mine. At first I thought he was going to bite my nose (he doesn't though).

I was wondering, are guinea pigs the same as rats, that when they press their nose on you, it's considered a 'kiss'? I'm just kind of curious, because he's just started doing it.

Wubthecook
Jan 28, 2014

Good man.

cuntvalet posted:

Cecil update time! And a quick question!

He's doing great. We went through a stint where he was being a little escape artist in the modified dog kennel we were using, something Jenna never did. We had to rush out and buy him a cage and while it's not small, I think he's outgrown it. But he's still probably able to escape the other two we had. :toot:

To balance it out until we can find a bigger cage that suits his needs, I give him a lot of floor time and cuddle time. He sits on my shoulder, or wanders over my stomach and legs. :iia:

He's taken up some new habits. He'll climb up my chest or over from my shoulder and press his nose against mine. At first I thought he was going to bite my nose (he doesn't though).

I was wondering, are guinea pigs the same as rats, that when they press their nose on you, it's considered a 'kiss'? I'm just kind of curious, because he's just started doing it.

It's not really a 'kiss' as such, but it is a sign of trust, love and affection. :)

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
Are hamsters capable of love? No matter how much floor time Princess Hamerella gets, she always seems to forget that I'm not a falcon coming to eat her when it's time to clean her cage.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

tentawesome posted:

Are hamsters capable of love? No matter how much floor time Princess Hamerella gets, she always seems to forget that I'm not a falcon coming to eat her when it's time to clean her cage.

There's only so much space in a rodent's brain, and what little their is, is dedicated to different schemes to get more food.

My guineapigs still pitch a huge fit when I try to pick them up, even though once they're picked up they calm right down and will sit on my lap without incident.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
So I broke down and bought 5 lbs of Bluegrass from KMS Hayloft, my new gerbils really seem to like Orchard Grass for nesting (my rats hate it and push it out of the cage.). I heard they have really good hays and want reassurement that I'm not a crazy animal nutbag for buying 5 lbs all at once just for 2 gerbils. Of course I don't think I am and are just treating them well, but still it feels like I'm crazy.

Setanta
Feb 6, 2010

bettsta posted:

Falafel is on the left, Nanuk on the right. Managed to catch a rare moment between "yayyy, let's run around in circles really fast!" and "yayyy, let's poop everywhere!"

Yeah thanks for that, 4 years without a guinea pig and now I want 2 :(

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

nunsexmonkrock posted:

So I broke down and bought 5 lbs of Bluegrass from KMS Hayloft, my new gerbils really seem to like Orchard Grass for nesting (my rats hate it and push it out of the cage.). I heard they have really good hays and want reassurement that I'm not a crazy animal nutbag for buying 5 lbs all at once just for 2 gerbils. Of course I don't think I am and are just treating them well, but still it feels like I'm crazy.

I bought 40 lbs for 2 guinea pigs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

transfatphobic posted:

There's only so much space in a rodent's brain, and what little their is, is dedicated to different schemes to get more food.

Or, in the case of one of my hamsters, whether or not Top of the Pops was on. As soon as the theme came on she'd be out of her nest and would watch attentively until it was over.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

transfatphobic posted:

I bought 40 lbs for 2 guinea pigs.

Yeah but those things actually eat it by the poo poo ton. I hope it's as good as everything I've read and gets here quickly.

The store was out of Oxbows orchard grass (which I really like) but settled for Kaytee's Timothy hay and man is it horrible, its soft enough but so much of it is yellow or brown. Fortunately the gerbils don't really eat it, they just shred it to bits and nest with it.

Edit: For reference, my Gerbils love this damned thing and it lasts so much longer than toilet paper tubes...they still get toilet paper tubes though.

I don't know what happened but I already love these girls more than my rats...and I LOVE rats and have had so many over the years. They are just so active and cute.

Edit 2: Can't help but take pictures, I clean out all the bedding once a week...usually on Wednesdays, but sometimes a few days later. (Artemis on the left this time.)

Last edit: Even though the Kaytee hay is super crappy, they were having so much fun after I cleaned things, I had to give them more and they are going crazy over it!

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 20, 2014

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Last edit: Even though the Kaytee hay is super crappy, they were having so much fun after I cleaned things, I had to give them more and they are going crazy over it!

:unsmith:

That's cool in my book. You're a good person.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Fewd posted:

:unsmith:

That's cool in my book. You're a good person.

Daww, thank you. I've been reading so much about these girls and how to care for them since I surprise got them. Last thing I want to do is take bad care of them. It's nice to know that I'm not horrible with them.

By the way, one of them still despises Sunflower seeds, but still goes crazy for pumpkin seeds. I need to start easing it on the treats though, been giving them way too many lately.

Edit:
Even though it was a month ago I started reading the rest of the thread and this always worked for me with introducing male rats (maybe it might work with other small mammals?):
Use Vanilla extract and put it on their butts, stomachs and behind their ears. Leave them alone for 15 minutes to get them use to the scent and then introduce them on neutral territory (ie. bath tub.)

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 21, 2014

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

nunsexmonkrock posted:

That's awesome! Since I keep my tank on my desk, and since I'm very allergic to pretty much any hay or grass, I'll do kind of the same thing with bits of cardboard. I'll take a big box and slice it into 1x8" strips with a box cutter and sprinkle those around everywhere. They drop everything they're doing and just sit there and chew the strips up and mix it with their bedding. By the time they're done with it, I give them a fresh batch and by the time they're ready for a cage cleaning, they've effectively tripled the volume of their bedding.

If I can find smooth cardboard I like to use that because one of them goes loving bananas for it. She'll take big flat pieces to the corner of the cage and rub her back all over it for hours. It's very adorable.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

That's awesome! Since I keep my tank on my desk, and since I'm very allergic to pretty much any hay or grass, I'll do kind of the same thing with bits of cardboard. I'll take a big box and slice it into 1x8" strips with a box cutter and sprinkle those around everywhere. They drop everything they're doing and just sit there and chew the strips up and mix it with their bedding. By the time they're done with it, I give them a fresh batch and by the time they're ready for a cage cleaning, they've effectively tripled the volume of their bedding.

If I can find smooth cardboard I like to use that because one of them goes loving bananas for it. She'll take big flat pieces to the corner of the cage and rub her back all over it for hours. It's very adorable.

That's why I normally only give them little bits at a time! But they were so excited I had to give them lots! I remeasured my tank and it's actually 40 gallons instead of 29 and won't fit onto a desk. But yes they have already chewed up and spread out the hay to their liking, it's adorable but I can never see them and only hear them with all this hay! Ha Ha!

Boxes are a nice idea too since they are free...

Edit:
I just gave them a glass vase (opening is way bigger than they are), are these okay? It's fun to watch them run into it and just start digging for no reason.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 21, 2014

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Boxes are a nice idea too since they are free...

Yes. Empty toiler paper rolls? Toss them in. Empty egg cartons? Toss them in. Empty anything-with-clean-cardboard? Toss them in.

Grats on your new waste disposal unit.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Fewd posted:

Yes. Empty toiler paper rolls? Toss them in. Empty egg cartons? Toss them in. Empty anything-with-clean-cardboard? Toss them in.

Grats on your new waste disposal unit.

HAHA! I never thought of it as a wast disposal unit, I guess we've already been doing it for years because of how many tissue boxes we've given our rats. We've been giving the gerbils some random 6 pack boxes but not much because well we're new to owning them, from now on they'll get the crap ton of Cheeze-it and Triscut boxes we go through that are too small for the rats.

Setanta
Feb 6, 2010
So my last (only) Guinea Pig died 4 years ago after having been with me for 7 years including driving trips Sydney to Melbourne etc. The fact that my partner is still with me even after I showed up at her house was pretty impressive.

Unfortunately I got rid of all my housing etc and am giving serious thought to letting another furball or two into my life. Indoor pet only as we have an out door dog. Trying to sort out a decent sized cage is a pain as I'm thinking of getting two because I felt horrible leaving my old pig alone during the day.

What's a decent size cage per pig? I really don't want to buy a store house as I was never that happy with them? I've seen people do modular units but TBH I have no idea where to start.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Lots of people do cubes and coroplast (C&C) cages for guinea pigs. I have to admit I'm not a big fan of them visually, but they do allow you to give exactly the amount of space you want to your pig(s).

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I've got a chinchilla question.

Yesterday I noticed Dexter had chewed all the hair off of his arms (only his forearms, left the hair alone on his hands so now it looks like he's wearing mittens). Googling suggests that fur biting is caused by stress, but nothing has changed in their lives recently. Also everything I've read about fur biting says they chew the hair off their hips, I can't find anyone else who's had their chinchilla chew the hair on their arms. The only thing I could imagine that happened to stress him out would be that it got unseasonably warm last weekend and I didn't turn my AC on right away, could the increased heat cause him to stress out? I don't know when exactly he did this to himself since he usually has his arms tucked up into his floof and I only noticed when he reached out to grab a treat from me. He seems perfectly normal otherwise, and my other chinchilla is perfectly fine with all of his hair intact.

There are exactly zero exotic vets in this town, it's a two hour drive to the nearest one so I hope this is an isolated incident :ohdear: The one vet in town that did claim they did exotics had never seen a chinchilla before in real life so I have less than zero confidence they could actually treat any problems if he does need veterinary care.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Update on my surprise gerbil situation :iia:

I have been giving them more boxes AND a glass flower vase...seriously the glass vase was the best idea I've ever had. They run in it kinda like a wheel and don't actually go anywhere it's ridiculously funny to watch!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel terrible, I was holding Jumbo, one of the litter I raised, and when I was done I accidentally put him into Runt's cage because I was distracted talking to my roommate and I had both their cage tops open to feed them, and didn't notice until some of the worst noises I've heard started coming from Runt's cage because Jumbo had ambushed Runt while he was sleeping and they got into a furball. I know you're not supposed to intervene in a furball, but I had to because Jumbo was going to kill Runt, and he got me real good on the thumb and I was bleeding quite a lot and soaked half a paper towel in blood, I put some antibiotics on it then double-bandaged it, that should be good, right? I'm not sure what infections could be gotten from a deep hamster bite(it probably came close to hitting the bone, it's pretty deep). I'm holding Runt right now to check him out and he seems fine, he's not limping or anything but he's got a few bloody bite marks on his underside, though it doesn't seem to be anything major. Jumbo seems to have avoided injury which isn't surprising since he was the ambusher and twice Runt's size. I did learn something though, apparently male hamsters can retract their gigantic gonads into their body as a protective measure since both of them suddenly didn't have these massive things hanging under them anymore, they had pulled them in for safety. Man I feel horrible, this is the first time this has happened in almost 20 years of owning hamsters. :smith:

On a lighter note, a friend of a friend's kids moved back to brazil with their father, and they left their hamster behind. Their mother said if she can't find an owner for it she's going to feed it to her snake, so I'm going to take it since I've got a spare cage. His name is Max Maxington, named by the kids, of course. :3:

My room is turning into a hamster menagerie.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I feel terrible, I was holding Jumbo, one of the litter I raised, and when I was done I accidentally put him into Runt's cage because I was distracted talking to my roommate and I had both their cage tops open to feed them, and didn't notice until some of the worst noises I've heard started coming from Runt's cage because Jumbo had ambushed Runt while he was sleeping and they got into a furball. I know you're not supposed to intervene in a furball, but I had to because Jumbo was going to kill Runt, and he got me real good on the thumb and I was bleeding quite a lot and soaked half a paper towel in blood, I put some antibiotics on it then double-bandaged it, that should be good, right? I'm not sure what infections could be gotten from a deep hamster bite(it probably came close to hitting the bone, it's pretty deep). I'm holding Runt right now to check him out and he seems fine, he's not limping or anything but he's got a few bloody bite marks on his underside, though it doesn't seem to be anything major. Jumbo seems to have avoided injury which isn't surprising since he was the ambusher and twice Runt's size. I did learn something though, apparently male hamsters can retract their gigantic gonads into their body as a protective measure since both of them suddenly didn't have these massive things hanging under them anymore, they had pulled them in for safety. Man I feel horrible, this is the first time this has happened in almost 20 years of owning hamsters. :smith:

On a lighter note, a friend of a friend's kids moved back to brazil with their father, and they left their hamster behind. Their mother said if she can't find an owner for it she's going to feed it to her snake, so I'm going to take it since I've got a spare cage. His name is Max Maxington, named by the kids, of course. :3:

Don't feel bad, everyone makes a mistake once in a while, no one is perfect. Just glad you realized it. By the way I call it ''The squeaks of death'' when rodents attack each other, I dunno it makes it sound not as horrible as it is when it happens, or maybe it makes it sound more horrible...

Zetsubou
Feb 22, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Well I recently had to break up a gerbil fight not long ago and got bit on the edge of my thumb pretty deep and i'm not dead so you'll probably be fine. I put some sort of anti-infection cream on it and bandaged it up so all should be good. Unless ham's have some sort of secret venom/bacteria that gerbs don't have then in that case maybe get a doctor to look at it.

Zetsubou fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 26, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, it isn't swelling up significantly or oozing pus so after another day or so I'll probably just superglue it shut.

Also got Max today, he is super chill and amazingly cute. Even came with a free(somewhat busted up) cage, to boot! I'll take some pictures later, he's awesome. Not really surprising that the mother was going to feed her son's hamster to a snake because she didn't want to take care of it, she's not really shown herself to be a particularly sensitive person. When I got him he didn't even have any food or water in his cage and immediately start chowing down on the jumbo pellets I gave him. What a callous shithead she is.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Zetsubou posted:

Well I recently had to break up a gerbil fight not long ago and got bit on the edge of my thumb pretty deep and i'm not dead so you'll probably be fine. I put some sort of anti-infection cream on it and bandaged it up so all should be good. Unless ham's have some sort of secret venom/bacteria that gerbs don't have then in that case maybe get a doctor to look at it.

Rodents will be rodents some time, even though it’s a rat and not a gerbil or hamster... I gave my rats fresh green bell peppers and forgot to wash my hands afterwards and my fingers smelled tasty. Triple antibiotic ointment and lots of bandages is making it heal fine. But the problem is I can’t touch them with a bandage on...rats love bandages for some reason.

Edit Oh my loving god! KMS hayloft is awesome. My whole house smells like freshly cut grass and smells so nice and I have no idea how they fit 5lbs of hay into such a tiny box, but they did. My gerbils and rats love burrowing into the bluegrass (especially if I sneak in seeds for them to find), and my cats like eating up the stray bits that fall to the ground once in a while.

Seriously it's the softest and moistest grass/hay that I've ever seen. I'm never going back to Oxbow (unless I have to)!

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 1, 2014

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Apparently gerbils can be litter trained? I think I did it without trying. I found a slab of rock that I use to use as a decoration for my fish (no sharp points, bleached and sanitized to make sure) and they poop and pee on it, not all over it, just in one spot and near it, no where else on it. I'm going to clean the rock tomorrow and see if they keep going in the same spot.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Apparently gerbils can be litter trained? I think I did it without trying. I found a slab of rock that I use to use as a decoration for my fish (no sharp points, bleached and sanitized to make sure) and they poop and pee on it, not all over it, just in one spot and near it, no where else on it. I'm going to clean the rock tomorrow and see if they keep going in the same spot.

Gerbils don't really need training and they pick an area to poop at on their own. Whether it's an area you agree with or not is completely inconsequential, poop goes there. Gerbils are quite clean creatures and don't like to sleep in their poop.

My late gerbils picked their food platform as poop storage. Constantly scrubbing that fucker clean was pretty cool :negative:

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
My gerbils keep taking all their bedding from one part of the cage and piling it up on the other side of their cage. Not just a little, but the entire left half of the cage has several inches of bedding, while the other side is bare. I know they like building nests but I haven't seen them do this before. Granted I've only had them a few weeks.

Anyone got any tips for a nervous handler? They are fairly tame. I can stroke them and they don't run and one will come over and sniff my hand. I'm a pussy though and always take it away. They have nibbled. I'm just worried about them biting. I thought about a glove but they doesn't get them use to your hand really.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Pendergast posted:

My gerbils keep taking all their bedding from one part of the cage and piling it up on the other side of their cage. Not just a little, but the entire left half of the cage has several inches of bedding, while the other side is bare. I know they like building nests but I haven't seen them do this before. Granted I've only had them a few weeks.

Anyone got any tips for a nervous handler? They are fairly tame. I can stroke them and they don't run and one will come over and sniff my hand. I'm a pussy though and always take it away. They have nibbled. I'm just worried about them biting. I thought about a glove but they doesn't get them use to your hand really.

From a new gerbil owner to another "Gerbils be gerbils.". I am constantaly finding that my gerbils like to pile stuff on the right side of their tank.

Instead of just bedding try giving them a poo poo ton of orchard grass/bluegrass hay...seriously mine freaking love digging and burying themselves into it.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 5, 2014

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Pendergast posted:

It takes a while for some to figure hand != food. Helps if you don't handle food before sticking your flappy sausages in.

And I'd guess they're just planning on filling the bare side of the cage with poop.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Pendergast posted:

Mine like to pile their bedding up in front of their water bottle, so the water all drains out, and I have to pull wet bedding out every other day... Gerbils will definitely be gerbils.

Having had the meanest hamster on the face of the planet before my gerbils, I hear ya on being paranoid about being bit. What I've done is I feed them, and I lightly pet them with a finger or two while they are distracted. I've worked my way up to putting a little food in my hand and letting them sit on it while they eat. It's actually worked out okay, because my gerbs are pretty skittish, so they come out to greet me when I walk in the room, but they're not super eager to be picked up. We also have clear exercise balls we let them run around in, which enables me to enjoy their company without being bit as well.

As a side gerbil question, my uncle just gave me a 5 cubic feet bag (so, giant) bag of red cedar chips for my gerbils. I seem to recall cedar chips are not good for gerbils, so I just wanted to confirm they're terrible so I can clear my conscious for not using the bag as he intended and figure out some other use for the bag. (In case anyone is worried by what's probably a super stupid question, I currently use carefresh bedding.)

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Yeah, from the reading I did before getting mine, any cedar bedding and any pine bedding except for kiln-dried pine has oils in it that are super bad for rodents. Cedar in particular is so bad for rodents that cedar mulch is sometimes marketed as an "all-natural" anti-rodent pest control.

e: Upon further research, cedar chips probably aren't actually effective as a rodent repellant, they're just sometimes marketed as such. Still super bad for rodents though. They're supposedly good for keeping bugs away from plants though, so if you have a garden or some potted plants those chips might make an OK mulch.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 6, 2014

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Yeah, from the reading I did before getting mine, any cedar bedding and any pine bedding except for kiln-dried pine has oils in it that are super bad for rodents. Cedar in particular is so bad for rodents that cedar mulch is sometimes marketed as an "all-natural" anti-rodent pest control.

e: Upon further research, cedar chips probably aren't actually effective as a rodent repellant, they're just sometimes marketed as such. Still super bad for rodents though. They're supposedly good for keeping bugs away from plants though, so if you have a garden or some potted plants those chips might make an OK mulch.

Okay, glad to know I'm not crazy! Thanks!! The bag was marketing itself for use in cages, and my uncle seemed pretty certain this was the way to go, so I was starting to wonder if I was remembering things incorrectly.

I was actually thinking about using them in my garden, so thanks for the tip! :)

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Niemat posted:

Okay, glad to know I'm not crazy! Thanks!! The bag was marketing itself for use in cages, and my uncle seemed pretty certain this was the way to go, so I was starting to wonder if I was remembering things incorrectly.

I was actually thinking about using them in my garden, so thanks for the tip! :)

If he wants to buy wood chips for you again tell him to buy Aspen shavings. It's a hard wood and doesn't contain the same oils as cedar or pine. From what I have found it is not as good as carefresh but it is cheap and you can use a ton of it for them to burrow into.

I personally like the giant bag of aspen from PETCO. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006K0FX38/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1394271260&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Last night I was giving our two pigs some lap time and all of a sudden they both decided to scuttle up my chest (I was lying on my back) and sat with their faces almost pressed into mine. It was a bit unnerving so I deposited them back on my lap but they zoomed straight back up. Were they expecting me to disgorge food or something? Have they finally decided they're cool with me? They've never really done anything like this before, they're about three years old but we only got them from the previous owners a year ago, and I don't know how much they were handled then.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's adorable. :3:

So long as they weren't trying to bite your face, I'd say they're cool with you.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

My younger sister bought a hamster on impulse without a wheel, bottle or anything. Can someone please help me so that the little guy won't have a lovely life? Any basic stuff for new hamster owners?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Smoking Crow posted:

My younger sister bought a hamster on impulse without a wheel, bottle or anything. Can someone please help me so that the little guy won't have a lovely life? Any basic stuff for new hamster owners?

Beat your sister, adopt her hamster. Then go to the store she bought it from and complain to the manager about how his staff are selling pets without giving any instructions for proper care and feeding; he'll take it seriously because you need a licence to run a pet store.

Failing that, if you want to teach her responsibility then remind her that hamsters are not toys or cute ickle balls of fluff. They are living creatures who need to be looked after, they need food, fresh water, regular fresh bedding (however much they complain because they'd just got it comfortable, you nest-wrecking bastard) and exercise, and it's your job as their pet human to make sure they get these things.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Jedit posted:

(however much they complain because they'd just got it comfortable, you nest-wrecking bastard)

My wife's gerbils when she was younger would actually gather up the dirty bedding for her in a place to easily be cleaned. When it was cage cleaning day they would gather anything they wanted to save from the nest and shove all the dirty bedding into the sand area that was there for bathing so my wife could just sift through it to get everything out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

It looks like my robo hamster is going downhill. :( He's 3 and a half years old and has outlived all my rats. Seems like he's just not keeping on any weight, but is eating and drinking and being active. Should I take him to the vet or is this just signs of aging? I have added some more food to his diet to encourage him to gain more weight but still nothing. Mostly added cooked grains and plain granola.