Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

4300 players in attendence. If you figure each one of them is carrying a $500 modern deck that is over $2,000,000 in cardboard rectangles. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Mr. Peepers posted:

$500 modern deck

That's so cute that you underestimate the value like that.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Round 1: FLGS guy vs JVL. KILL JVL, LOCAL GUY!!!

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Pinwiz11 posted:

Round 1: FLGS guy vs JVL. KILL JVL, LOCAL GUY!!!

He just tried to bloodrush ghor clan rampager with a stomping ground and hallowed fountain on the field...

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Cohen's keep seems really loose. Lands, Hierarch, and Spellskite?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Are there really 33 million people watching this? That's...like actual important television numbers...

Also, calling that Domain Zoo is already out of this match.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 8, 2014

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
My favourite thing about Starcity Games organising this GP is that they have dice and tokens on hand for feature matches, unlike all the other GPs.

Veyrall posted:

Are there really 33 million people watching this? That's...like actual important television numbers...

~8400 current viewers. Will probably hit 10k later on when they show more famous players.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Veyrall posted:

That's how many people watched the channel since it started. Right now 8500 viewers are watching.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Matthias Hunt needs to stop speaking.

Melira != muh-LY-ruh

Gavony != guh-VOE-nee

Cedric is very impressionable, I've noticed him morphing his own pronunciation to match...which is disappointing, two weeks ago he finally started saying Polukranos correctly.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Well I was totally wrong, Zoo is doing just fine and now Melira Pod is dead. I need to follow these events more often.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

MrBling posted:

My favourite thing about Starcity Games organising this GP is that they have dice and tokens on hand for feature matches, unlike all the other GPs.

~8400 current viewers. Will probably hit 10k later on when they show more famous players.
To be fair to CFB/WotC, if you're playing a deck where you know you need tokens you should have them ready at any time.

Ben Cohen(playing melira pod) threw that 2nd game hard. There was no reason not to take 6-10 damage when he's able to keep powering up his guys with gavony. If you're gonna block there go all out to kill the geist no just throw two creatures under it.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

BaronVonVaderham posted:

He is my least favorite of the Starcity commentators. He talks out his rear end like the rest of them, but at least the other ones tend to be right more often and are funnier.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

L0cke17 posted:

He is my least favorite of the Starcity commentators. He talks out his rear end like the rest of them, but at least the other ones tend to be right more often and are funnier.

He also wears a stupid hat all the time.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Veyrall posted:

Well I was totally wrong, Zoo is doing just fine and now Melira Pod is dead. I need to follow these events more often.
I think Van Lunen's worst matchup right now is going to be judge penalties from never remembering which duals his fetches can get or what mana his spells cost.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Entropic posted:

I think Van Lunen's worst matchup right now is going to be judge penalties from never remembering which duals his fetches can get or what mana his spells cost.
What disturbs me is that his opponent didn't catch the bloodrush mess up. If the judge hadn't of said anything they would have kept playing. I think the judge also pointed out the fetchland thing?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Korak posted:

What disturbs me is that his opponent didn't catch the bloodrush mess up. If the judge hadn't of said anything they would have kept playing. I think the judge also pointed out the fetchland thing?

Yep. To be fair, the judge was pretty quick on it, he didn't really give the opponent a chance to miss it.

That kind of thing gets you a warning, right?
I think Jacob must got like 3 in those last two games.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
At least two people playing Battle of Wits deck at the GP. :lol: I want them to do well just to see how ridiculously packed a Modern BoW deck can be.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Wish I was was home watching Richmond because a bunch of my friends are there.

Come on Spencer! :argh:

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Entropic posted:

Yep. To be fair, the judge was pretty quick on it, he didn't really give the opponent a chance to miss it.

That kind of thing gets you a warning, right?
I think Jacob must got like 3 in those last two games.

Yeah, each of those is a Game Rule Violation which should be a warning. If he keeps doing it throughout the day, he'll get game and then match losses.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Haha. Some guy won a GP Trial with his Standard UW Control deck. Esper Mill won another of the Trials. Pretty sweet GW Aggro deck won yet another.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gprich14/welcome#1

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

There are a bumblefuck ton of people here.

Sleep in special checkins for 2 and 3 byes were pushed back to 1:00pm and 2:00pm respectively.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Korak posted:

At least two people playing Battle of Wits deck at the GP. :lol: I want them to do well just to see how ridiculously packed a Modern BoW deck can be.
Haha yeah the tweet from MTG Pro Tour says there's an ALL FOIL Battle of Wits deck out there.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Korak posted:

Haha. Some guy won a GP Trial with his Standard UW Control deck. Esper Mill won another of the Trials. Pretty sweet GW Aggro deck won yet another.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gprich14/welcome#1

The schedule indicates that there were standard trials.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
I was excited about watching the coverage, until I realized it was modern. Not hating on it but I'm still trying to learn standard and they don't even play modern at my LGS. "Here's an awesome card that you can never use because most card shops don't host modern tournaments." No thanks.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

morning wood posted:

I was excited about watching the coverage, until I realized it was modern. Not hating on it but I'm still trying to learn standard and they don't even play modern at my LGS. "Here's an awesome card that you can never use because most card shops don't host modern tournaments." No thanks.

That is changing (shops not hosting Modern) and Modern is an awesome format.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I'm enjoying the commentary on Yu being a complete lunatic for playing 3 hawks. "You don't know what he's going to do! He may play choke, he may reach across the table and choke you!"

Boco_T posted:

Haha yeah the tweet from MTG Pro Tour says there's an ALL FOIL Battle of Wits deck out there.

If this doesn't show up on stream I'll consider the GP a failure.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
The clusterfuck continues, MTGO has crashed for the second time today.

This time there's a big sealed event and the 3-0s aren't pleased. I'm pretty pissed, it happened right as I finished soundly spanking mono black 2-0 in the first round of the Standard Premier.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

ScarletBrother posted:

That is changing (shops not hosting Modern) and Modern is an awesome format.

I'm sure it's entertaining but the combination of the daunting prices for cards and no opportunity to play locally make it slightly less than appealing.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

morning wood posted:

Watch it anyways to learn more card interactions, and more shops are going to host Modern, and Modern is pretty fun (except when it comes to Legacy and Vintage :ssh: )

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Boxman posted:

I'm enjoying the commentary on Yu being a complete lunatic for playing 3 hawks. "You don't know what he's going to do! He may play choke, he may reach across the table and choke you!"

If this doesn't show up on stream I'll consider the GP a failure.

So like $100 of foil basic lands for a start then.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

So like $100 of foil basic lands for a start then.

I hope he's playing all Guru basics. Then it would be like $5,000 for his basic lands.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Boco_T posted:

He just wanted his rogue deck to cost as much as a regular Modern deck.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

toadee posted:

He just wanted his rogue deck to cost as much as a regular Modern deck.

You know it's going to go off a couple of times, and of it putting a serious player on tilt.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I just want to see a deck list for Modern Battle of Wits. How good are the tutors or ways of getting it into play for cheap?

morning wood posted:

The more you watch the more you'll understand. Ask questions if you want! Trust me its worth it.

quote:

Hopefully GPRichmond doesn't crash. Imagine how pissed 4,000 players would be.
:smugspike:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

morning wood posted:

I'm sure it's entertaining but the combination of the daunting prices for cards and no opportunity to play locally make it slightly less than appealing.

Maybe some prices will go back down once this Modern season is over? That's what I'm hoping for at least, I really don't want to spend $55/card on a playset of Mox Opals :(

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Wizards really need to make a really good aggro card with Sun in the name so I can run Sun Zoo.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
So the MOCS event just crashed, and took down several other events with it. I wasn't playing in the MOCS since I cut way back on MTGO in the last couple of months due to their constant problems, but I felt like playing some Magic and was 1-0 in a Daily. Gotta love MTGO.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Wizards really need to make a really good aggro card with Sun in the name so I can run Sun Zoo.

gently caress it man, there's big Zoo, run Sun Titan, why not?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
2000 matches to choose from and they show a Melira Pod mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Melira != muh-LY-ruh

Gavony != guh-VOE-nee

Cedric is very impressionable, I've noticed him morphing his own pronunciation to match...which is disappointing, two weeks ago he finally started saying Polukranos correctly.

I like you Baron but this is a terrible post :shobon:. Are you privvy to some internal pronunciation guide or something? Does this really bother you enough to bring it up?

I wonder if they had to give extra compensation to the commentators to tempt them out of playing in the main event. Or maybe, it's the other direction. Once an event gets to large as this the equity per player is actually pretty drat small and they're all about the EV.

• Locked thread