Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

mutata posted:

I find Maya to be entirely adequate. I've been learning 3dsmax for the past month and a half now and I wish everyday that I could go back to Maya.

Hahah - I had that experience a few years ago. I learned basic 3d concepts with Softimage but taught myself Maya around the same time. When I had to get a job using Max, I taught myself that but hated it in comparison. That being said, Softimage / XSI always seemed to have the fastest implementation of Mental Ray and IPR.

I was sad when Autodesk absorbed both XSI and Maya, because I never liked Max as much and I knew they would eventually have to stop supporting one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Is 3dsmax really updated these days? I ask because I have no idea. I know Maya keeps getting pretty chunky updates (mostly integrating popular scripts and plugins), but I'm wondering if 3dsmax gets an equal amount of love or if it's just in a holding pattern.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Isn't Autodesk trying to make max more appealing to Arch Viz people and Maya for animation/games people? That's what I assumed their intentions were from a while ago.

But so far the updates to Maya's stuff is kind of lame, shoddy integration of NEX and now some weird Maya LT thing. They really should focus on making a better viewport (yeah I know Viewport 2.0, but it still feels half assed, at least there's fancy shader support) and just completely revamp the current set of modeling tools. The more I use Modo the less I care about Maya honestly, everything just feels so dated.

I still love the marking menu unconditionally, and have tried to replicate it in Modo.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I cry tears EVERYDAY that I've lost the marking menus. I used to be able to anything SO FAST, and now everything takes 5 times longer.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Listerine posted:

I think with any software that has a learning curve and depth to it, there's a big effect of what you learned first. You develop a sense of the "right" way to do things which makes switching a painful process.

Some folks have posted about plugins for Modo that make it a really excellent modeler, I was wondering if anyone knows what I'm talking about could post links to said plugins? I guess I might as well look at Modo now as a possible replacement. I'm just glad I didn't shell out for Softimage to Arnold.

Search for seneca and ethereal scripts on the modo forums. There is no point of using modo without those.

It is an alright software if all you do is model, if you plan to animate/do fx look elsewhere.

edit: also the worst community by far. modo users make console fanboys seem levelheaded.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Actually, instead of me whining page after page, does anyone know of can't-live-without scripts for 3ds max 2014? I would LOVE anything that will make modeling and especially uv-ing smoother and more intuitive and faster.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

keyframe posted:

Search for seneca and ethereal scripts on the modo forums. There is no point of using modo without those.

It is an alright software if all you do is model, if you plan to animate/do fx look elsewhere.

edit: also the worst community by far. modo users make console fanboys seem levelheaded.

Thanks for this, I could find seneca but not ethereal though. Hopefully that will suffice.

I've principally only used Softimage for modeling, but just this pack week started learning about ICE to try to do some things like animate cellular divisions or blood flow, etc. Now I guess I'll just look into Houdini.

I find it really odd that the larger packages don't have simpler toolsets for modeling. There were a bunch of features in Hexagon and Silo, both small lightweight packages, that made doing some modeling tasks so much quicker. I'm going to get the Modo trial and if it brings me back to that kind of ease I'll find some way to scrape up the money for a license, or wait for a sale or something.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Listerine posted:

Some folks have posted about plugins for Modo that make it a really excellent modeler, I was wondering if anyone knows what I'm talking about could post links to said plugins?

Are you talking about http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/store/plugins/meshfusion/ ? It's pretty awesome albeit still early release. Has a few bugs that are getting patched soonish.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

mutata posted:

I cry tears EVERYDAY that I've lost the marking menus. I used to be able to anything SO FAST, and now everything takes 5 times longer.

This paired with the fact that hitting space bar in Max locks your selections ... Makes for some :bang: moments during Maya-to-Max transition.

I had to make the switch a year ago and find myself using hotkeys to a much greater extent in Max. Also, some tricks like using shift-drag to duplicate elements makes blocking out models go faster for me.

When it comes to animating and scripting though, I really miss Maya's attribute editor. It's a hassle in Max to expose nitty-gritty object details and set up expressions.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

mutata posted:

Actually, instead of me whining page after page, does anyone know of can't-live-without scripts for 3ds max 2014? I would LOVE anything that will make modeling and especially uv-ing smoother and more intuitive and faster.
Max changed up the button layouts for UV mapping a little while ago, and I never really liked the change, but that said, there are a number of tools in the menus that make unwrapping extremely quick. If you're coming over from Maya, the one thing that you should learn to love is the ability to manipulate UVs without the need to transfer your selection back and forth between the model. If you select a face on your mesh in the viewport, those UVs are already selected in the UV editor, and you can manipulate them, attach, detach, sew, and other operations without always having to roll into a UV selection first. It's pretty doggone easy to select some edge loops, break them, then relax that sucker into a usable shape. I don't hate the Maya UV editor as much as I did since coming across from Max, but the flow between mesh and UV editing on Max is still missed.

The one immediate thing I'd really like to see Maya do better, as someone else mentioned, is this dreadful NEX tools integration. I love all the tools, but there are times when it's like the modeling toolkit isn't even talking to the base Maya tools. The tools and the program should be speaking the same language; the fact that the toolkit and vanilla Maya actually have completely different manipulators is just... ugh. Come on.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Hazed_blue posted:

The one immediate thing I'd really like to see Maya do better, as someone else mentioned, is this dreadful NEX tools integration. I love all the tools, but there are times when it's like the modeling toolkit isn't even talking to the base Maya tools. The tools and the program should be speaking the same language; the fact that the toolkit and vanilla Maya actually have completely different manipulators is just... ugh. Come on.

I don't know how they thought this was acceptable. I assume it was because they asked mostly NEX users who are already used to that really strange divide between Maya's base tools and NEX tools. I was really disappointed about that, because that poo poo was ok 8-10 years ago when NEX tools came out but come on, it's 2014. All their other tools could use an update as well.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

My first lowpoly model!

Still lots of errors and I have no idea about topology, but still. Next up I'll be doing a high poly sculpt on this and try not to die with UVs and normals.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

I've heard a rumour that Modus FX in Montreal has closed down. Oh dear.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ccs posted:

How does Maya need to be overhauled? It's the only major 3D package I've used but I like it, but also want to hear what could be improved.

Badly outdated UI/workflow. Clunky mix of mel/python (Don't get me started on the expression editor). Mostly useless fluid-system. Mostly useless RBD system. nCloth that is poorly integrated. A function curve editor that was always behind what SoftImage/XSI had.
I now mostly use the in-house software, but even in previous companies Maya was mostly used as a container for 3rd party tools that actually did the work.
Houdini got the right idea with it's node based system. They just need to make the modelling/animation/rendering side of it more accessible for non-TD's.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I now mostly use the in-house software, but even in previous companies Maya was mostly used as a container for 3rd party tools that actually did the work.
I think this right here is pretty much my biggest complaint about Maya so far. Out of the box, there are (in my opinion) so many significant glaring omissions in regards to tools and options that I cannot do what I want to without first finding a third party plugin that does it for me. And then to rub salt into that wound, the MEL scripting, the one loving thing that is constantly heralded as the suite's trump card, has apparently changed enough with each year that half the plugins you find do not work because some command had its name changed and grinds this once-useful plugin to a halt. And so, just like the whole concept of "versatility" and "open-endedness," the whole nature of plugins should really be called by its proper phrase, "you need a guy for that."

And if you don't have a guy, well...

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Badly outdated UI/workflow. Clunky mix of mel/python (Don't get me started on the expression editor). Mostly useless fluid-system. Mostly useless RBD system. nCloth that is poorly integrated. A function curve editor that was always behind what SoftImage/XSI had.
Houdini got the right idea with it's node based system. They just need to make the modelling/animation/rendering side of it more accessible for non-TD's.

Haha, this is all stuff I never, ever use.

vvv Compared to 3ds max, the Maya UI is a dream, in my opinion. v:shobon:v

mutata fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 6, 2014

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

You never use the UI??

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
So first Gameloft, then Eidos and now Modus? Do you know how many jobs that could be?

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

Hazed_blue posted:

I think this right here is pretty much my biggest complaint about Maya so far. Out of the box, there are (in my opinion) so many significant glaring omissions in regards to tools and options that I cannot do what I want to without first finding a third party plugin that does it for me. And then to rub salt into that wound, the MEL scripting, the one loving thing that is constantly heralded as the suite's trump card, has apparently changed enough with each year that half the plugins you find do not work because some command had its name changed and grinds this once-useful plugin to a halt. And so, just like the whole concept of "versatility" and "open-endedness," the whole nature of plugins should really be called by its proper phrase, "you need a guy for that."

And if you don't have a guy, well...

Can you even write Maya plugins in MEL? I thought that was all C++ with some Python showing up in the past couple of years. Scripts often seem to be fine between versions, so I assume the constant plugin failures are from Autodesk messing around with the API. gently caress MEL either way, though. I cry a little every time I have to work on a legacy tool written in that garbage instead of Python.

Citadel
Jun 9, 2010

Hazed_blue posted:

I have little Maya experience. Are you refering to the 'Modelling tool kit'? Is that name of the NEX tools integration?

edit: found the answer:
"The Modeling Toolkit that was introduced in Maya 2014 is based on NEX which was acquired by Autodesk last year."

I completely agree with the lack of fluency between the Modelling tool kit and base Maya tools. Its frustrating.

Citadel fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 6, 2014

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

mutata posted:

vvv Compared to 3ds max, the Maya UI is a dream, in my opinion. v:shobon:v

you must be mad

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

At the very least they're both awful then. The 3ds max interface is just as scattered and confusing as anything else.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Odddzy posted:

So first Gameloft, then Eidos and now Modus? Do you know how many jobs that could be?
Found out it's about 100 jobs lost. These guys were quite big players in Montreal.

Kinda worrying since I'm moving there in April to chase VFX jobs!

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

BurtLington posted:

Found out it's about 100 jobs lost. These guys were quite big players in Montreal.

Kinda worrying since I'm moving there in April to chase VFX jobs!

Come to Toronto instead, seems everyone's opening up shop here.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Both MPC and Framestore are hiring in Montreal. I know MPC is trying to convince people from Vancouver to move that way,

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Coming from games but wanting to move into more high rez stuff, is there somethng that I should focus on in my folio to get a job at framestore? I like hard edge stuff and modelling and that seems to show up a lot in my folio.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Both MPC and Framestore are hiring in Montreal. I know MPC is trying to convince people from Vancouver to move that way,

I've worked at Framestore London and know a few guys at the Montreal office so hoping I can get something there, probably in Tracking.

Cinesite have also opened up apparently.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

cubicle gangster posted:

you must be mad

You are seriously crazy if you think the Max UI is better than Maya.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think once you've used one package for long enough it's almost meaningless to argue which one is better.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Blender's UI is the best.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

At least we can all agree that Zbrush has the biggest beginner-shock UI out of all the 3d packages.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mutata posted:

At least we can all agree that Zbrush has the biggest beginner-shock UI out of all the 3d packages.

First time I tried it I quit in frustration, then I came back to it a few weeks later and it clicked somehow.
It makes no sense though

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

EoinCannon posted:

I think once you've used one package for long enough it's almost meaningless to argue which one is better.

Yup. Really all of the big 3D packages are dumb in their own special way but over time you just get accustomed to their eccentricities.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Have you guys seen Substance Painter Beta is out on steam at half price? I just picked it up, it looks awesome!

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

mutata posted:

I thought Mudbox was really intuitive when I tried it in beta, but that's also comparing to zbrush 1.5 or so, so things may have changed.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

concerned mom posted:

Have you guys seen Substance Painter Beta is out on steam at half price? I just picked it up, it looks awesome!

Cool, it seems they updated the license terms:

quote:

This Beta version will give you access to the non commercial license once it is released. As with our other tools, the non-commercial license allows you to create and sell assets on the Workshop for any Steam game!

IMPORTANT UPDATE: We authorize the use of the non-commercial version of Substance Painter for any commercial project, as long as it doesn't generate more than $10 000 per year

What's your impression so far?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Chenghiz posted:

I thought Mudbox was really intuitive when I tried it in beta, but that's also comparing to zbrush 1.5 or so, so things may have changed.

Yeah that hasn't changed. Mudbox's UI is really easy to get into and ZBrush is still a brick wall of WTF. It's like Pixologic go out of their way to ignore every possible UI convention or piece of terminology ever used in a 3D program.

Unfortunately ZB is really powerful and does all sorts of neat poo poo that Mudbox doesn't, so it's become the standard for sculpting and they can get away with having such a horribly obtuse UI.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I always recommend Zbrush to people with no 3d experience because the 'weird' UI won't be holding them back if there's nothing to compare it with. I love Zbrush so much.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I tend to find that no matter how weird a UI is, if I have to use it in production it becomes second nature pretty quickly then I don't think about it any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel
May 2, 2009

A thing I've recommended to people struggling with ZBrush's UI is: Try not to get overwhelmed because when you're starting you basically just need the brush, the camera movement tools, the mirror controls, and the subdivision/dynamesh dropdown. Ignore the millions of other dropdowns and tools until you're more comfortable.

Although I remember my first time in ZBrush. Document->Save, Quit, Return later, "How do I edit it again?". Turns out Document->Save saves the.. document. The flat 2D canvas. And not the document as in the file itself like every other program in existence :v: