Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Fans posted:

Paranoia GM's can't lie because they're always right. Even when contradicting themselves, they're not wrong at all. In fact they've just been right twice and you should be in awe.

The terminating process for any error in any game is to label the player wrong. Occasionally kill hug the player too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

You didn't make the player use his own blood, did you?

Using someone else's would just be rude.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I once played in a really good D&D 3.5 game taking place in Ravenloft where every character ended up there from separate planes/continuities after getting lost in mist at their home setting. I don't know if this usual or not, I was never really familiar with D&D settings.

Anyway, the party consisted of a sorcerous dragon enthusiast, a peaceful druid, a CN student of Villanova from Theus, a LG half-orc paladin of Athena, and a LE human cleric of Hextor from Greyhawk.

It was not a very harmonious party, but it worked well, and they all agreed to put aside their differences for the sole purpose of escaping such a miserable horrific world. Ravenloft, to my understanding, is essentially like living in Dracula's backyard of oppressed peasantry and roaming monsters during the miserable periods in-between Belmonts.

So, to set this up, my character was the cleric of Hextor. Herald of Hell, Scourge of Battle, Champion of Evil. He dressed in full plate, wore a blood red tabard with Hextor's holy sign -- a black gauntlet gripping arrows -- and had painted one gauntlet with pitch to imitate it. In short, he was a super big fan of Hextor with War and Destruction as his domains. Total wargod merch-hound. Lived in a backwater plains community that was endlessly razed and raided by orcs, until he prayed for someone, anyone, to deliver his family from their misery. The next day during the raid a different marauding army, carrying Hextor's banner, happened to sweep through and murder all the orcs. Much better sign of destiny than a bat through a window. He also had his half-orc brother, a ranger who was more of a fighter, as his follower.

The paladin was a good and just servant of Athena. He upheld the virtues of wisdom and abhorred bloodthirst, but struck true and without glee when violence was necessary. He had faced disdain and sometimes hatred as a half-orc but had never struck anyone out of anger in his life, strived every day to protect the innocent, and felt as if Athena had guided him to a righteous life. He also had his beloved brother with him, a human, who was a fighter but mostly just served as a scout and tracker.

The paladin and the cleric did not get along, to say the least. They argued constantly, almost came to blows, and it was pretty much policy for them to roll those usually-rare Will saves in order to resist benefiting from each others' party buffs.

Eventually, just when it seemed like they had reached a peaceful equilibrium of mutual disdain, the party tracked down a seer to tell them how to escape Ravenloft. The solution?

"Somewhere in this realm is your opposite, your antithesis. Kill them."

It's hard to express in words, but no game since has ever made me feel an in-character paranoia and distrust so powerful and yet not party-sundering or that crept into OOC nastiness. Me and the paladin's player had a great time over many sessions, constantly mocking and deriding each others' ideologies but unwilling to strike the first blow, holding back our hot-headed followers and hoping that our true targets were somewhere other than in an already tenuous alliance.

I wish this story was more thrilling or that I could remember particular examples, but it was just a drat fine game, really.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Well? Did you end up fighting?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

ellbent posted:

I wish this story was more thrilling or that I could remember particular examples, but it was just a drat fine game, really.

No. I'm pretty sure you did a good job conveying it.

Dangerous to introduce a potential PK situation into a group, but it sounds like you players were up the the challenge of keeping the importance of Good Story above the potential for mood-destroying inter-party violence.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

VanSandman posted:

Well? Did you end up fighting?

No. Both characters seemed to accept that it was inevitable, but attempted to postpone it as long as possible, knowing the loss of the healer and undead-rebuker or the brave, fearless holy beatstick in the horrific land full of undead horrors would be a deadly loss.

There was a point where the evil cleric's ranger brother demanded a duel with the paladin after mocking Athena's "weakness" -- both followers were being played by the GM -- and the paladin accepted, and it was pretty much over at the first blow and ended up a good thing because it gave the paladin an honorable way to vent some aggression, put the ranger in his place, and gave the cleric some plausible deniability in the eyes of his brother. "You want to fight him? We respect strength in this family, dear brother."

Eventually, the tension was abetted when the party came upon the paladin's father from his homeland, a Chaotic Evil orc raider, terrorizing a settlement with a small warband. Seen (correctly) to be the paladin's true nemesis, the pressure for us to gear up for a final confrontation lessened by a lot after he was taken care of.

When the party, now heroes, went to sleep in the town, they were introduced to the wandering healer that had been healing their sick and tending to their wounded, a kindly priest of a benevolent deity.

For most of the story, the GM had been taking me aside to tell me that during my prayers I had felt my connection to Hextor growing hard to maintain, and I had assumed it was because of Ravenloft's strange nature. While the party slept, exhausted, I prayed for spells and was given a revelation from Hextor that the healer was an evil Ur-Priest, someone who practices divine magic by stealing power from gods, and that he was feeding on my faith since the moment I arrived.

In the night, I walked alone to the healer's tent and detected his alignment -- hidden from detection -- in conversation before setting fire to his tent and fighting him in the village square. The players were roused by the villagers and arrived just in time to see me land the killing blow on the blinded, beaten, flaming "kindly old healer" by stoving in his ribcage with my mace.

As a last request before the paladin summarily executed me, he allowed me to cast Speak With Dead, and the Ur-Priest's corpse confessed everything, including his intention to sell the people into slavery to the first person to come along with enough coin.

The party was ordered to leave the village, but not before the paladin demanded my character heal their wounded, as I had killed their healer. As compromise and to satisfy his wargod, my evil cleric agreed only to aid those who were wounded while in battle. The paladin tended to the rest.

There wasn't much talking on the road for the next day.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You have a good GM.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Our current level 11 Encounters group makeup:

Brom the Bloody, (me), a Minotaur Paladin who forsook all defensive and healing options to deal massive damage with an executioner axe at the expense of blowing all his dailies and encounters within about 3 rounds. I'm also an extremist inquisitor for the Church of Tempus. The story involves the Church of Tempus, which is pure luck. Currently I'm using a Large mini, because I paid $10 to get it online thinking it was a medium and I'll be damned if I'll change it now. I needed a minotaur with an axe. We're working on a solution. Being Large is mainly an inconvenience, especially since I'm a chargadin.

Godfrey, a Human Rogue/Fighter who I think is doing a brawler fighter. Godfrey is Brom's understudy, because originally I bought a hireling used a little-known Dragon magazine article and then realized I could make another PC my hireling. So in exchange for 200 gold, isndl has to do whatever I say.

Drago, a Gnoll Monk with the Soaring Blade PP. He is a wandering samurai. The story involves gnoll social intrigue, which is again pure luck. I built this character and it's being used by a new player.

Beatbox the Rappin' Robot, a Warforged Bard who alternates between Mark of Storm-enhanced thunder attacks and psychic attacks. I built this character and it's being used by a new player, who is doing the best I can to follow my instructions and rhyme whenever he says anything in-character.

Bouros, a Dwarven Battlemind who resists all damage ever and next level is going to become nigh-invincible because of his PP. I built this character and it's being used by a new player.

Tatyana, a Hamadryard Wizard illusionist. Again, built this character and it's being used by a new player. Will probably be traded out for a werewolf next week because the player didn't like how the class handles.

Ghazgull Thraka, an Orc Fighter (invigorating) who was in our last campaign.

Tumbler, a Half-Elf Ardent.

Kai Tari, a Kalashtar Psion.

Medrash, a Dragonborn Ranger who is trying to get something going with a net build.

Why yes, that is ten players, which is four over the maximum recommended and two over what you should really have in a group tops. That being said, approximately four of our players are unreliable as every-week players, but we managed nine this week. Only one person has the module and he's a hardcore every-week player. I honestly appreciate having a coherent Encounters narrative that isn't screwed up by having a different party every week.

This is an enormous population change from last season, where because of the holidays and the winter we struggled to get four players at times.

Anyway,

I don't know how many of you play along with Encounters at this point, but it appears to be the third consecutive module where players can deal with two of three imminent antagonist plotlines, but not all three. The first one ended with one of the characters becoming the Chosen of Bhaal and the entire group having a giant PVP that ended with the Chosen of Bhaal winning out and killing everyone else. That was a 5E campaign so I think everyone was wishing for the cold embrace of death anyway.

The second one was a campaign where we were supposed to save Bryn Shander, but ended up helping a white dragon destroy it in the first session, and then spent 95% of the campaign doing dungeon crawls and pitched battles with dragons and every Huge mini I've ever bought in and around "The Valley of the Dwarves." The Valley was meant as maybe a two-session stopping point for the group but became the scene of a mass slaughter. I haven't really talked much about that here beyond the basic setup but I'll get to it when I can. That campaign also ended with most of the group killing each other for even less sensible reasons.

This season the campaign is back on track and we're not gunning to up-end Encounters in protest of the bad module (and hey, so far it's not bad).

Session One
It begins with us following a wagon train of villagers displaced by rampaging goblins and gnolls, with the subtle hint that the situation between the goblins and the gnolls is slightly more complicated than "goblins bad, gnolls even worse."

We meet a mysterious gnoll that night who's very gnolly and stuff, but doesn't attack us outright. Instead, he says he's hunting goblin and invites us to come along to a goblin-infested town later. We want to get the wagon train to Daggerford first and it's not entirely clear he's a good guy, so we give him a rain check and keep going. The Psion is a Seer, and so constantly reads peoples' fortunes to replace their die rolls without telling them what she rolled. It's Very Helpful, as you can imagine.

At Daggerford, the town guard isn't letting anyone in, and while we're there, one of the guards begins acting strangely and tries to attack me. In a show of restraint, I refrain from decapitating him in reprisal, since I can see he is affected by devilry and must be interrogated. So we capture him, prevent a riot, and diplomacize our way into the city to find out what's going on. Someone has recently stolen a mystical stone dwarven totem of vague value and use, and the local noble and aspiring king is mad about it and won't let anyone into the town unless they carry Great Purpose like us.

While we're being given a tour of the city by a halfling, a demonic entity appears over the town and just sort of floats around before disappearing. The entity is apparently fully visible but no one in town seems to perceive it or care. At this point, my conservative extremist hunter paladin, who moonlights as a torturer and summary executioner, is beginning to lose his patience.

We have a prisoner to interrogate (the ensorcelled guard from earlier), and I'm a gray guard and specialize in getting answers by any means, necessary or unnecessary. (The bard can also muster a +28 Intimidate if everything else washes out). Brom declares he is getting out his devotee's kit (a relatively expensive piece of religious adventuring gear that provides no utility or bonus to anything). By this it is understood by everyone present that he's rolling out his set of religious-themed torture tools, and the group scrambles to control Brom's temper whenever the guard doesn't spit out information immediately in response to a question. By the time Brom orders the prisoner be "disrobed" to see if he has been branded by evil, the group halts that by working out that a succubus has been at work.

Brom recommends that the tainted prisoner be executed, but the captain of the guard won't permit it. That about ends session one.

Session Two
We eventually find out that the mason responsible for making a plaster replica of the totem (for some reason) has recently disappeared. Keep in mind the usefulness of this totem is entirely unclear to us but without it, the universe will not be set right.

We find evidence that the mason has been forcibly abducted, as well as connecting him to a local prostitute, who we pay a visit across from an orphanage. After giving Brom some lip/none of the answers he wanted to hear, in the dungeon she goes!

The prostitute says she got into a fight with the mason and he hit her, which is very unmanly of him, and then says the last she saw him, he was visiting with a character in the local militia, implicating her as the succubus. It's pretty obvious that the prostitute is actually the succubus and my character knows she is hiding something, but I can't suss it out of her or behead her on the spot without serious repercussions, so we leave the room to track this other false lead. About two seconds later the succubus teleports out of the room and tries to run away. But we can teleport too and it's easy to chase her from there to the sewers.

The succubus escapes while we deal with some bearded devils, evil wizards, and orcs. I discover that it's really hard to mentally track damage dice for a character that uses Ardent Vow + 2-4[W] Powers + Blessed Weapon + Righteous Rage of Tempus + Charge Kit on an axe with high crit.

After clearing the flunkies out, we discover a mysterious chest with runic symbols that we can't pry open all the way, but can deactivate to make it stop rumbling. We work out that it is some kind of bomb. Bane jokes abound. That's session two.

Session Three
I relate to the town guard what happened and that if they see this prostitute again, they are to kill her on sight, and actually get my way this time after previously being admonished by NPCs for strongly suggesting that every prisoner we've linked to demonic activity be executed, just to be safe. Not that anyone but us is going to ultimately deal with that loose end. The bomb weighs about a hundred pounds, so we for some reason leave it with the town guard, for lack of being able to do anything else with it.

We decide to take up our gnoll friend on his invitation to go goblin-hunting with us. When we find him some days later, his two sons are ill, and he says the town we were going to attack together has been irradiated by poison. After diplomacizing with help from the gnoll samurai (roll X to advance story, basically), he reveals that he is an artificer exiled from his gone-rogue clan, that someone stole some artificing ingredients from him, that these ingredients can incidentally be used to make bad ju ju, and that they have definitely been used to destroy this town--but that we still have to investigate to start settling this matter. We also work out that he can recognize the magical runes on the bomb, meaning that whatever was stolen from him is now in this bomb.

After the gnoll temporarily inoculates us vs. ju ju, we rush into town and pick a fight with whatever's still there. Some demon pops out, says he is now the mayor, and raises up his zombie constituents. The mayor doesn't even last the first round, and Beatbox uses an Intimidate check to make several of the zombies surrender on round two on account of his sick diss raps. There were nine of us there and the fight ended in the middle of round three.

So it turns out that the Forces of Evil have made a fantasy chemical weapon and we've left it in probably the most heavily-populated area within a hundred miles. I'm sure this will work out well.

That's your basic synopsis so far. There's still two open pregens, so if you are reading, can make it to Green Lake Games in Seattle, and don't mind ridiculousness... Yeah.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 7, 2014

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

That's your basic synopsis so far. There's still two open pregens, so if you are reading, can make it to Green Lake Games in Seattle, and don't mind ridiculousness... Yeah.

Well poo poo, I've wanted to play in a game instead of run one for over a year now. When is this?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SolTerrasa posted:

Well poo poo, I've wanted to play in a game instead of run one for over a year now. When is this?

6:30 PM on Wednesday, although more accurately it takes until about 7 to get going.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013
So in our game tonight, Lawton runs up against his archrival: an expy of Doctor Dinosaur called Doctor Skyclaw, also hired by Lady Razorcrunch in order to finish up Lawton's malfunctioning machine (that was the reason she came after him in the first place). They have a bit of a sneer-off where Skyclaw disparages MAMMAL ENGINEERING, complete with absurd jargon, and then everyone gets dimension-shifted by said machine. Umbra rolls badly and ends up shifting between phases at random as a Moderate consequence, popping between No-Space and real space. Lawton and Skyclaw race to fix the machine first while energy suckers target this brand new source of energy and grisly half-person, half-thing chimaeras attack.

Odrak smashes face, Umbra pops in and out of reality and is sick all over them, and the two engineers yell at each other.

"BEHOLD!" is shouted every other line.

For example:
Doctor Skyclaw: "A HA! The MAMMAL tetrafibulator chain!"
Lawton "Scrap" Scranton: "It's made from pure insectium you useless anole!"
Doctor: Skyclaw. "MAMMAL insects!"

They tie on a contest roll to fix the thing and end up hopping into an even worse dimension, fending off flying flesh spikes while trying to return to their own.

Ultimately everything is fixed by flipping a switch labeled "magic" and "more magic" to the "more magic" setting.

(Did I mention that this machine was actually just a gussied-up counterfeit printing press?)

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So wait, were characters claiming they were eating the paper, or were they legit IRL eating the paper?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They were eating it, in character?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Cornwind Evil posted:

So wait, were characters claiming they were eating the paper, or were they legit IRL eating the paper?

Were they playing with Richard Hammond?

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.
I have a very limited experience with Paranoia, but I'm willing to bet anything to do with eating paper in Paranoia is done by the players.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

My current group is playing Savage Worlds at the moment, in a homebrew campaign that's turning out to be a lot of fun. The setting is post-apocalyptic (Several hundred years afterwards so humanity is beginning to recover) after The Clockwork Virus hits, turning people who have mechanical parts in them like amputees into unstoppable killing machines. The main city, Carcer City is divided up into lots of small blocks of groups, each lead by a different leader and of course working up in the pecking order is important for survival.

I'm playing a gunslinger-diplomat kinda guy (I seem to be in the habit of this actually) named Cain Artorias. There is also Zed Meyer, a thief who wants to really steal everything that's not nailed down, including our current gang boss' kitchen. Caius Estihiem is the assassin of the group, and general all-purpose guy. And there's Jak Brixton, the damage sponge.

We had been taking on different missions under a gang leader, such as protecting his chief weapons guy during a deal that went sour due to outside forces and shaking down local punks. Our latest task had involved checking the security of the wall in our sector, and one compound was most certainly not secure, the guys outside the compound weren't friendlies and we needed to get in. Zed decides to climb the roof but none of us had the foresight to bring rope so we needed to deal with the guys outside. Zed sees something in the compound's grounds and after we dispatch the guards he calls out that zombies are inside under a necromancer's control.

They would need fresh meat to be distracted.

So it was body-tossing time! Jak and Zed spent a lot of time throwing bodies over the roof (Literally, from the ground level, at least two stories high and smack dab in the middle of the horde) while the rest of us are just stunned at this display in madness.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
In the game I played, he legit choked down a piece of paper and washed it down with a vodka in person.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Medrash, a Dragonborn Ranger who is trying to get something going with a net build.

Holy poo poo, I'm not part of this gaming group but I know the person that runs this character. What an amazing coincidence.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Had an interesting one at a 4E today.

We entered the Swell, which is a psychic dimension of dreamspace, where you can travel to any person's dreams and exist physically in them. Most notable is that in the Swell, reality is mutable; if you can successfully will it to happen, it happens.

I am playing a Hobgoblin Bard named Krankronk. He worships Maglubiyet. Being able to alter a plane to your will is typically the ability of a 3E deity, and this was not lost on Krankronk.

:eng101:DM: You come upon an old lady at a farm (that we have to talk to in order to get some information). Children play out in the yard, cows graze, and corn grows in the fields.

:black101:Krankronk: Boring! The corn kernels are actually millions of tiny skulls!

:eng101::Roll it!

:black101:: 20.

:eng101::All of the corn kernels become tiny skulls. The old lady becomes disturbed and confused at the alteration to her dream, and the children begin panicking.

Everyone Else at the Table: What are you doing?!?

:black101:: Whatever I want! You know what? Cows are boring too. They become black dragons! The coolest dragons!

:eng101::Roll it!

:black101:: 20.

:eng101::The cows transform into terrifying black dragons that begin savagely attacking each other! The old woman flies into a blind panic!

:black101:: Haha, yes! The coolest!

Warden: That's enough! *Attempts to stop me with mere physical blows*

:black101:: You fool, we are the masters here! The sky turns into a black vortex!

:eng101::It's not even your turn--

:black101:: ...20!

:eng101::Everyone--Krankronk, the children, the black dragons, and millions of tiny skulls--fly into the air and begin circling into the vortex!

:black101:: ...Metal!

(At this point, the Avenger restores the weather to calm with a check.)

:eng101::Krankronk, the vortex has stopped and everyone is falling back toward the earth!

:black101:: Child's play. The entire earth turns into marshmallow! 19!

(The Avenger turns the black dragons into cats.)

:eng101::...Everyone falls safely into the marshmallow. But now you've ruined the old lady's dream and she is in an inconsolable panic. You need to do something to calm her down.

:black101:: The world transforms from a giant marshmallow horror into the inside of a warm cottage, with the old lady sitting on a rocking chair next to a fireplace. At her feet rests me, her faithful golden retriever. . . 19!

Everyone: ...!

:eng101::...OK. But to be clear, you're now in dog form (suggesting that this could possibly limit me in any way).

Krankronk: Of course I'm in dog form! I say, "Hello, old lady! It is I, your faithful and loyal hound. We need your help to find Princess Joanna!"
Old Lady: I haven't seen her in a long time, but here is a knit cloth that might have her scent! Go, boy!
Krankronk: I give this object to someone who can actually make a Perception check...

Later, it became clear that a dream demon was somewhere in the dreamspace with us, and hiding somewhere inside a dream. Rather than suss him out, I did a complete end-run by invoking the Duck Amok trick, meaning that I simply erased the entirety of the dream, leaving only the creatures and objects that were really there--namely, us, the dreamer, and the demon, who I'm sure thought he was clever before that happened.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Anything that invokes Duck Amuck is automatically amazing. Well done.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
A friend of mine started running a 4e DnD game with myself, a few other friends from our old uni and some of his work colleagues who were interested. Those of us from uni bar one have roleplayed many times before, and the one who hasn't has played PC games and so was trying to get into the spirit. The three work colleagues of the GM sort of don't get in theme so much. One of them is "Antonio DaFag", Vampire bard and he decided in our most recent encounter he absolutely had to have the 'loot' on a wizard's corpse we found. The corpse was that of the mentor of a PC who was being introduced this session, so he took this somewhat poorly in character. The bard's player has a habit of fixating on odd things which is fine and normally is just a source of some laughs, but in this case it was causing a bit of strife. The new PC, a wizard, used a spell to trick the Vampire into thinking he was falling in a bottomless pit and the GM just said the saves failed so that we'd have a bit of time to give him a burial and sort out the situation.

On a slight whim though, I told the group that I was pulling a piece of chalk out of my sack and I drew a circle around the bard then proceeding to walk off. The bard, despite being an Arcane power sourced character OOC didn't really know much about bards in DnD and has mostly assumed he just sings for people. As a result he didn't roll Arcana or try to find out anything about this circle of chalk that I drew. Instead he and the other two work colleagues sat there trying to figure out how to get him out of the chalk circle without crossing it for about five minutes. Eventually after exhausting their options (which were limited due to the fact we'd just ended combat and used a lot of our non-Encounter powers) the bard tentatively says that he crosses the chalk circle and asks what happens.

Of course the chalk circle was just that, a circle of chalk and I hadn't really expected them to become so preoccupied with it. But it was a good laugh for everyone and the bard took it pretty well. The added bonus was that by now the wizard's mentor had been forgotten and we continue through the rest of the session smoothly.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I'm playing in a pathfinder campaign where our resident alchemist/quack doctor somehow got himself involved with an organization persecuting magic users with roots in the city's guard.

:v:: I'm going to light the case file on fire with the torch.

:what:: In the bar?

:v:: Yeah.

:v:: What's wrong with in the bar?

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

JAssassin posted:

I'm playing in a pathfinder campaign where our resident alchemist/quack doctor somehow got himself involved with an organization persecuting magic users with roots in the city's guard.

:v:: I'm going to light the case file on fire with the torch.

:v:: Yeah.

:v:: What's wrong with in the bar?

That sounds (kind of) like my character in the pathfinder campaign I'm in. I had missed half a session because of work and came in to the game captured and tied up in a cage. I slip the ropes that are holding me, call over a guard to try and bluff my way out, and wave as he leaves.

Dm: you wave, with your UNTIED hands?

Me: yep! :v:

We were then surrounded, the two Half-orcs smashed the door open, I set three people on fire with Grease/Spark, and we take the camp in 3 turns.

Light hearted, bubbly Necromancer gets us out of a bind once again!

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I've been playing some Only War lately, and while not as flashy and full of good stories as the RT game, it's pretty fun at times and yesterday's session hada pretty hilarious finale.

Now the premise of the campaign is that essentially that an Imperial Guard regiment or army has been left alone on a this one planet for who knows how long and they have pretty much become a tribal society with myths and legends pertaining to the IG at large, and how we are supposed to get to move on once we have defeated all the other companies. Since this was probably supposed to be a military exercise before everything went to poo poo for one reason or another. We worship the 'Great Eagle' (sign of the Aquila), wait for the gifts of the War Star (space ship orbiting the planet occasionally dropping either drop pods filled with loots or bombs into different parts of the planet) and try to smash every single other company into pieces and capture their flags. Because once a company loses its flag, it is lost and their remnants are absorbed by the victor. Our Company is the glorious Red Company, with the dubious reputation of being the most violent company of them all. Because of course PCs are violent as all hell. Other companies also have their gimmicks, green are stealth dudes, violet have motorcycles (and access to prometheum) etc.

Any way, what happened last session was that earlier this semi-neutral party had come to inform us that the high priest of the Great Eagle was dead, and we needed to pick a new one in a meeting between most of the non-corrupted companies. It was of course important that our priest was going to get the nomination because gently caress all the other nominees. So we got there and had some namecalling between us and our rivals, bartering and so on until came the actual time of the nomination. First, all the nominees stepped forward (a fuckwit from Violet company, a shaman from Green company, a loving huge burly dude from Blue company, a grim bastard from the mysterious Black army, and of course our Priest) and then the neutralish Grey company ceremony master told everyone how the choice of the new Immortal Shaman (since all high priests were immortal shamans until they died, duh) would happen - he would give the belt of the holy shaman to the nominee and then he would shoot the person in the face with a best quality holy relic boltgun. Or to be precise he didn't say the last part but it became pretty obvious after he shot the Violet company's man in the face. He died, was kicked off the platform and immediately looted by our medic who stole his pants since they were armored. And put them on while everyone else was busy with the ceremony. My Psyker with a futuretelling bent had told his comrade to go and stand next to the Violet guy's motorcycle so it could be claimed the second the idiot would die, and the second the guy's head exploded, the comrade laid her hand on the vehicle.

Red Company is not at all a bunch of terrible people guys.

Anyway, the selection process went on and the Green Company shaman was next, and his fate was identical to the first guy, and then it was our priest's turn! Our Medic whispered him the helpful advice of "This kills the man" and motioned at the bolter, but our Priest was strong in his faith that he would survive the test of faith. He also had a fate point to spare luckily. And he did need that, but with the succesful use of the fate point, he was chosen thanks to the Great Eagle's mercy as the bolter flashed and something else flashed as well, saving our priest's life. That 'something' was the poor quality force field that the belt was in reality. Every member of Red Company present cheered loudly, but everyone else was dead silent. Probably because Red Company is a bunch of dangerous psychotics and giving them the Immortal Shaman of the Great Eagle is probably dangerous. Black army decided to protest by the way of trying to kill everyone else, but eventually we emerged victorious with only a few scratches and the Black army was declared a bunch of heretics.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

face-shooting and pants-stealing

Is that the premise for the game or just the campaign you are in?

Because an entire game based around warriors being warriors because warriors sounds like a ton of murderhobo fun.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Agrikk posted:

Is that the premise for the game or just the campaign you are in?

Because an entire game based around warriors being warriors because warriors sounds like a ton of murderhobo fun.

Just the campaign, normal Only War is more sensibleish even though players are always going to be players. The system is super combat heavy since the campaigns usually revolve around a bunch of Imperial Guardsmen from a particular regiment participating in military campaigns - I know there's been two local campaigns that ended some time ago, one focused on fighting against Necrons, one focused on fighting against something called "Lava and Steel Tyranids".

That said, from what I've heard the tone of "completely insane regiments" is fairly consistent, I know the Necron-campaign's regiment had Meltabombs strapped to their backs as part of their standard kit. But anyway, this murderhobo campaign with a bit of a focus on scavenging and such is pretty fun. It's also pretty funny how each company has their gimmicks, Grey is sort of neutral and are akin to wandering sages, Violet has lots of vehicles and promethium, Black has some low-tech trucks and lots of troops, Brown has been corrupted by 'something' (definitely Chaos), Yellow is mysterious and filled with assholes (note: we have not actually ever talked to any member of the Yellow Company, however we all hate them with a passion... despite the fact we never really see them around) and a couple I probably forget. Our company's gimmick is that we are the most brutal and violent company of them all! Not sure if the GM intended it originally that way, but PCs gotta PC.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So our party died this Sunday.

Our members:

Zeke - A Tiefling Warlock who was apparently banished from his homeland for some reason (he had to have amnesia because otherwise as a tiefling in this custom setting he'd know the whole plot). Pretty good guy, but doesn't mind getting his hands dirty if he feels it'll have good consequences (and if he gets rewarded for it personally, that's a nice plus).

Kayden the Dwarf - A Dwarf Battlemind. The reason I titled him 'the Dwarf' is that he was the most dwarfenly dwarf in the world, the way he was played. Also kind of a racist in a 'dwarfs are superior so we should protect the inferior races' kind of way.

Eric Feinberg - A Human Wizard, and mostly the face of the party. He was useful both in battle and out of it. A jolly fat man (remember this) who started a brewery business on the side.

Doren Soundstone - A Dwarf Bard (me). On the surface he seemed like a generic good guy, but he actually was very self-centered and was only in the adventuring business to become famous and be put into songs, stories and maybe even legends (and so only did good things to gain a good reputation). He was also thematically a sorta-cleric as I decided that he was devoted to Corellon and gained his powers that way. He was mostly unassuming and did his part in the adventures, but when sharing stories in bars and when writing the chronicles of the group he would make himself sound like the leader and the MVP generally.

The story started with Zeke's adoptive hometown being destroyed by Greenpis (forest goblins). Later we found out that the Greenpis were actually driven from their home by the expanding tieflings and were trying to grow new trees in new places since they can't live outside forested areas.

It ended with us making peace with the Greenpis (to Zeke's annoyance) and getting their help to build us a boat using their treeshaping so we can travel to tiefling lands to somehow stop their army from behind. Meanwhile one army of tieflings was heading south through the forest, cutting and burning down every tree they ran across, while another force armed with all the dangerous magical artifacts they were able to loot from a Vault City was laying siege to one of the big cities of the allied kingdoms.

We returned to land a bit north of the border between the tiefling desert and the forest and made our way to the twin towers sitting on it. On the way we were sidetracked by a caravan carrying a dwarf slave. We then drove out a whole town of tieflings (out of character we weren't really right with doing this, but the dwarf party members were really mad about all the dwarf slaves they found in town and this world's allied kingdoms still remembered a time when they treated all Halflings as slaves).

The slaves then told the party that they were made to build the two towers, and that they had some kind of magical artillery mechanism built into them. We also found a note saying that the artillery will be fired in 3 days, so we had to move fast. Eric used alchemy to build some explosives and we set off. The dwarfs we freed set a distractions for the guards of one tower while we sneaked inside.

We started fighting our way up and setting bombs Doren was carrying in key points along the way. Things were going well until we reached the top floor. We met with a beastmaster and his 2 hellhounds, a couple of juiced up tiefling bruisers, and an even bigger tiefling bruiser commander. Also in the middle of the room 4 robed figures were starting to chant around a metallic orb. Uh oh, because we got into the tower they decided to fire the artillery tonight!

The commander started off by pulling a lever, which made the whole room start slowly spinning as it rose up into the open sky. The rest of the tieflings and pups closed in on us with the commander later following behind. Kayden and Doren did their best to hold them at bay while Zeke and Eric tried to shoot the chanting robed figures, but a firewall rose up between them, eating the incoming projectiles. That's when Eric's player said, "Okay, I have an awesome idea. I hope this works!"

Apparently he took the Jump utility power at level 2. He used it and rolled to jump. He rolled a 19. So fat, jolly Eric the wizard managed to jump over me and a bruiser and right next to the lever. He went to the lever and tried to pull it to the other side, but it was too heavy for him. Meanwhile the commander turned around and went for the easy prey. He attacked, and smashed into Eric's barrier. Eric, in turn, decided to hypnotise the commander, and succeeded with a critical 20. So he says, "I make him go to the lever and pull it." We all look at the DM, and he says, "I'll allow it. Throw the dice, *he checks some numbers* anything above 8 succeeds."

He rolls a 7. :(

As all this is happening the floor keeps rising and rising, while a beam of fire shoots from the top of the metallic sphere. As the fight progresses the floor eventually stops rising as we reach the opening in the ceiling and the beam starts moving towards the nearby forest (and towards the huge tree-home of the Greenpis). The other tower, which we can see, is also getting ready to do something similar.

The commander got out of his funk while Eric managed to snipe a couple of the chanting figures. He crashed poor Eric right into the firewall. Eric died almost instantly. Seeing this, Kayden and Zeke shouted in anger and pain. Doren didn't see it happen, but the shouts brought his attention, and when he saw Eric's burning corpse his Song of Courage turned into a Song of Death (Metal). Zeke ran through the wall of fire to kill the rest of the chanters while Doren also made his way though more slowly. That left poor Kayden behind to deal with all the rest of the enemies. Zeke started killing the chanters so the commander followed him into their midst. The commander was right behind the firewall, so Doren took out one of the bombs in his pack and threw it at the commander's back. The bomb exploded on him, unfortunately not dealing much damage (bad rolls), but it did immobilize him for a turn, giving Zeke enough time to finish all the chanters. Being unable to help Zeke since he couldn't get through the firewall, Doren healed him, then went back to help the struggling Kayden. Unfortunately a bruiser caught him half-way and sent him to unconsciousness. Doren managed to rise back up for a short while, only to fall again and then die thanks to the beastmaster.

At this point a huge shout is heard from the top of the other tower, and the beam strengthens and shoots off into the distance.

Zeke and the commander played a game of cat and mouse behind the firewall. Luckily for Zeke the commander seemed to fumble all his attacks suddenly while the warlock himself hit with every shot. Finally the commander died, and Zeke went to help Doren, and when he fell again, to help Kayden, who was brought to 1 hp. At that point Kayden gave up on actually attacking and just stayed in Total Defense mode. Fortunately that saved him as the surviving bruiser and beastmaster missed him for around 3-4 rounds in a row after that. Meanwhile Zeke managed to avenge Doren, and then went on to kill the beastmaster. At this point the last bruiser got tired of failing to hit Kayden and turned to Zeke. With a single blow he felled him. Seeing as everyone else was pretty much dead, Kayden decided to retreat. He started running, but of course the bruiser ran right behind him. So Kayden ran towards the closest bomb we planted, took it, lit it with a nearby torch (the tower was full of lit torches on the walls), then threw it at the bruiser, slowing him down. He then did it with another bomb, after which he just took a torch and lit the planted bombs in their place while he ran down and out. He managed to get out of the tower right as the bombs exploded, half-destroying the tower and making it inoperable.

Unfortunately he ran right into the forces which were just done recapturing the other dwarfs who helped us in in the first place. A couple of scorpion riders came his way, so he jumped on one's back, smashing him down, and then he leapt into another rider's face and kicked him off his mount. At that point the rest of the guards closed in on him and he also fell.

The DM then told us that the second tower was actually aiming at the besieged city, and it was completely destroyed by it. Welp.

The tieflings managed to take over around half of the territory of the allied kingdoms, but thanks to the other kingdoms finally gathering their armies (and thanks to the surviving Greenpis keeping the one tiefling army occupied for a long time in the forest) the tieflings finally met their match. A battle raged for 50 years. The death toll was astounding. Finally the tieflings gave up and decided to make do with what they got.

tl;dr was a fun session, will die again.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 11, 2014

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
DM: For aiding our kingdom with this information, I will aid you by granting you the finest dwarven mithril we can craft.
Bard: HOLY poo poo!

The best reaction to getting a reward ever. The bard now wants to be referred to as the "Mithril Minstrel".

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JAssassin posted:

DM: For aiding our kingdom with this information, I will aid you by granting you the finest dwarven mithril we can craft.
Bard: HOLY poo poo!

The best reaction to getting a reward ever. The bard now wants to be referred to as the "Mithril Minstrel".
I wish my players got excited about loot. One of them actively hates dealing with magic items, the others are either casters or a dragon. I suppose it's tough to give a poo poo about getting stuff when you can already magic up literally anything you want.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
You just have to find the right gift. Something they can't magic up at the drop of a hat...

:v:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

You just have to find the right gift. Something they can't magic up at the drop of a hat...

:v:

The last campaign I was in, my fighter could not get over the fact that I gave him a +1 Hammer of Spinning Rims. No bonuses, just spinning rims attached to the head.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
My players seem to like their flying boat. I didn't exactly give it to them, though, I just put a flying boat there and the players took it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
In the Pathfinder game I'm in now, my character is a goblin. So I used a portion of my starting gold to purchase 5 chickens, and a sack to hold them in.

Later on, we go back to town, and I use some of the winnings we've gained to buy... five more chickens.

We come across a haunted hut, with a spooooky ghost doll, and in the description of the hut it has... chicken feet.

So I say that it's now the chicken hut, and put five of my chickens inside. Left them some food, too. Hopefully we will return to the chicken hut later, so I can reap the rewards of smart chicken investment.

Playing a goblin character is basically the most fun thing. I just play a character that is constantly hungry, and unfortunately thinks that sapient humanoids are the tastiest thing ever. The GM has already said that if I don't stop skinning, butchering, and eating dead humans, some bad poo poo is going to go down when we end up in the next town. V:v:V

DarckRedd
Oct 11, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

In the Pathfinder game I'm in now, my character is a goblin. So I used a portion of my starting gold to purchase 5 chickens, and a sack to hold them in.

Later on, we go back to town, and I use some of the winnings we've gained to buy... five more chickens.

We come across a haunted hut, with a spooooky ghost doll, and in the description of the hut it has... chicken feet.

So I say that it's now the chicken hut, and put five of my chickens inside.

Is this a word problem?

This is a word problem, isn't it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

PublicOpinion posted:

My players seem to like their flying boat. I didn't exactly give it to them, though, I just put a flying boat there and the players took it.
Ah yes, my players do have an airship they have modded to hell and back. They needed a boat, so I gave them a full range of options from "a few canoes" all the way up to an elemental galleon. This was at level 6-7 mind you, so they had nowhere near enough cash to buy it. But they did have someone with a huge diplomacy bonus, and so it became this huge thing where they spent almost the entire session plying this guy and finally they get it out of him that it's sinking him financially to keep it moored but he doesn't want to sell it for less than it's worth because he won it in a very high-stakes poker game and if he can't collect then he's double sunk. So they offer him all the cash they had on them at the moment (I think it was about 8,000gp) and half of what they find on their mournland expedition. They found a huge node of adamantine, sold it for cash, and the guy happily retired.

Later on, they sold a bunch of greater khyber shards to turn it into an airship that could also sail, and then traded a bunch of other loot to make it an earthship that could burrow and turn into a submarine. And yes, of course they're going to bind a fire elemental to it soon, how could they not?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

In one campaign, I gave my players a crapload of gold very early (like 50,000 at about level 3), just to see what they would do with it. They immediately bought a ship, became pirates, accidentally created and controlled a monopoly on salt in the region, and had a horse captain a plundered ship for a while.

Also, for some time they couldn't remember the name they'd given the ship, so it became a running joke that every time it was mentioned, it had a new name (and they paid an old man to paint the new name on the hull of the ship).

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 13, 2014

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

PublicOpinion posted:

This seems to be the thing for players, you throw in something in your background descrption to make the place seem more real, and three session later the players are flying everywhere on something that looks like it should be in the Expendables.

kannonfodder posted:

Also, for some time they couldn't remember the name they'd given the ship, so it became a running joke that every time it was mentioned, it had a new name (and they paid an old man to paint the new name on the hull of the ship).

Name remembering is another thing. Players always seem to forget the name of secondary characters, the type who turn up every few sessions, or are at least mentioned. In my Rogue Trader game I had another Rogue Trader who just got referred to as "whatshername" no matter how many times I prompted them.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Grey Hunter posted:

Name remembering is another thing. Players always seem to forget the name of secondary characters, the type who turn up every few sessions, or are at least mentioned. In my Rogue Trader game I had another Rogue Trader who just got referred to as "whatshername" no matter how many times I prompted them.

In the first campaign I ever ran the main villain was only ever referred to as "The Mayor's Brother." After about the third or fourth session I just ran with it.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
My DM comes up with the most overwrought fantasy names for NPCs and has decided to name and give backstories to each of our followers (Gained via Leadership) so we've short-circuited the whole thing by referring to them as "Hey idiot"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
In a Fading Suns campaign, my noble insisted (for backstory REASONS) that our ship be called The Name Of The Father. This was (rightly) derided by the rest of the group, who constantly referred to it as the Word To Your Mother.

Sometimes you just have to let things slide.