Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The worst part about dragons is in the previous mission radio chatter keeps referencing "lizards." I thought they said "wizards" and was really excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

The worst part about dragons is in the previous mission radio chatter keeps referencing "lizards." I thought they said "wizards" and was really excited.

Fighting giant wizards does sound pretty great, actually.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Knightmare posted:

Storm One also blows himself up quite often and screams WoooooAAAAhhhh!!! at random, often inappropriate times.

Look, when everyone is reloading, and all the bugs within five miles are dead, you need to make your own devastation. :colbert:

It brings to mind that whole thing from Mass Effect 2 about being lazy aiming your WMD's. You will be ruining someone's day when you pull the trigger. :allears:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I'm a bit disappointed that no one ever sees fit to join me in a good ol' fashion "Waaaaagh!" when we go charging in.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

MassRafTer posted:

The EDF grunts do actually mention wizards at some point. They keep having lines referencing magic swords and stuff when the dragons appear.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Psycho Landlord posted:

I'd just like to point out that on Inferno the Dragons get a massive speed boost - on the ground and in the air - on top of all the usual Inferno perks, and actually become legitimately terrifying in large groups. The also do a metric shitload of damage if they manage to grab you, way more than a red ant. So yeah, those of you still knocking around normal/hard have that to look forward to.
All bugs get speed boosts as you turn up the difficulty. Ants in particular are really loving fast on Inferno. So are bees. Gunships also speed up.

I don't think any of the robots or spaceships move faster (except for gunships).

Also, I found a level in the regular missions that is easily farmable by a solo Air Raider. It's in the 70's, and is titled "March of the machines" or something like that. It's on the dockyard map and has you fighting multiple deroys.

I have the second best railgun tank (about 12000 damage per shot), and it will 1-shot the small deroys, and kills the super tall ones in 4 shots. The map starts with 5 small ones. The second wave is 2 big ones and 1 small, but they will not drop until the first wave is dead AND the sky eaters have gotten into position (which can take a while). The deroys are mostly not-dangerous, although if they focus fire the leg lasers on you at close range, your tank (and you) will melt.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

FuSchnick posted:

The EDF grunts do actually mention wizards at some point. They keep having lines referencing magic swords and stuff when the dragons appear.

Yeah but that's after. I heard "flying wizards" and thought "Wow, that's weird even for EDF!"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
First try on the Brute Tank's REQUIEM GUN I think I wiped out every building in the area except for the one behind me, which also collapsed when the cannon recoil shot my tank about 40 yards backwards and directly through it.

The city is safe :japan:

V Edit: Oh is it Titan? All of the names are blending together.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 8, 2014

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

First try on the Brute Tank's REQUIEM GUN I think I wiped out every building in the area except for the one behind me, which also collapsed when the cannon recoil shot my tank about 40 yards backwards and directly through it.

The city is safe :japan:

The Titan is amazing as a tank because you can just drive directly though anything in your way. Just go in the general direction of your target until you can see it, then fire.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

This horseshit where one random spider attack can destroy your tank is hmmmmmm kinda horseshit

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've come to love vehicles very much, but can any just straight up run over bugs?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Hyperactive posted:

This horseshit where one random spider attack can destroy your tank is hmmmmmm kinda horseshit

Which kinda spider are we talking about here? Adorable teeny-huge brown spider, unsettling double-huge big spider, that-loving-web-spinning-rear end in a top hat, or DLC Silverback?

The answer to all of these is roll Wing Diver and blast their poo poo back up their thoraxes with a Thunder-Buckshot Crossbow. And also play a game or two on normal to work out that tension from Inferno.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

FuSchnick posted:

All bugs get speed boosts as you turn up the difficulty. Ants in particular are really loving fast on Inferno. So are bees. Gunships also speed up.

I meant to specify that Dragons in particular get stupidly fast. Like, a dragon doing a pass over my ranger can actually outrun the missiles from the MEX5 or whatever the level 70/80 Emerald launcher is. If they land they go back to just being a dangerous combination of the Ant types, but if they're flying any direction but directly at you it seems like you they move too quickly for the game's camera to track, and the mutants from the DLC are even worse. Inferno dragons are scary.

Unless you bring an AF-100 and a Lysander, anyway

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Father Wendigo posted:

Which kinda spider are we talking about here? Adorable teeny-huge brown spider, unsettling double-huge big spider, that-loving-web-spinning-rear end in a top hat, or DLC Silverback?

The answer to all of these is roll Wing Diver and blast their poo poo back up their thoraxes with a Thunder-Buckshot Crossbow. And also play a game or two on normal to work out that tension from Inferno.

The problems that jumping spiders have always had are compounded when you're in a vehicle, since they can web you up even faster due to the larger hitbox and slower movement. A couple can tear your vehicle apart in a few seconds in you're not careful, it's kinda dumb.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was just playing Brute Force on Very Hard in a room with the weapon/armor limit turned off. I was a wing diver with about 400 armor and level 30 weapons, they were gods in comparison with 7000 armor and both calling Proteus Gammas and stuff. The cool part was, I actually held my own. I didn't die once, and killed like fifty ants and drones. Thank you, you beautiful laser chainsaw you.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 8, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
As a PS3 version owner, I watched some videos of the 360 version today.

I'm so jealous. :qq:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
So something I learned about the Rule of God is that its blast range is actually the size of the entire map. I learned this by shooting a couple of hectors with it and my buddy who was grabbing items literally getting hit across the map by it.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I just beat mission 39 and it was spectacular :swoon:

It was even better because a couple of the online players I beat it with named themselves after the power rangers.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Man, gently caress Gold Ants.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Bussamove posted:

The problems that jumping spiders have always had are compounded when you're in a vehicle, since they can web you up even faster due to the larger hitbox and slower movement. A couple can tear your vehicle apart in a few seconds in you're not careful, it's kinda dumb.

This is the reason I only roll with Bazelarts and rain death from above. I love how the better versions fly super fast compared to the how sluglike the first one was.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Marogareh posted:

This is the reason I only roll with Bazelarts and rain death from above. I love how the better versions fly super fast compared to the how sluglike the first one was.

It's not too terrible if you just mind where the spiders are. If need be, pack a Splendor and hop out occasionally to deal with nearby spiders you can't turn fast enough to deal with in the vehicle itself. The flechettes are so spread out that they won't deal all that much to either you or your vehicle at close range. Or have a Wing Diver buddy that can help you out.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I don't really understand how you're supposed to break into the higher levels of the game, because some levels just seem completely impossible or at least really rough without super powerful weaponry. I've got about 800 HP as a wing diver, I've got level 50 weapons or so, but I can't successfully farm Hardest or Inferno because things just take too long to kill. I can't even do some missions on hard because trying to take down the transport ships takes too long while I'm simultaneously getting swarmed by every spider and laser plane on the map.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Dantes posted:

For the non DLC missions at hard+ give this a shot.

Pick your best shotgun, a thunderbow, eclat or iliun?, ixun? I forget the third type....
Pick a sniper laser that require you to maintain your aim on the target.

With those weapons equipped, choose any underground level. You want to drag the bugs away from the rooms and into the tunnels. Your bow should be able to saturate the whole tunnel diameter. Use the sniper when you encounter queens or kings. Adjust the weapon mix as you unlock new ones.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
So I saw some guy called dan play this game a bit. Thought it looked like a cool fun arcade-y game to mess around with and play through a couple of times. It probably isn't very long and probably loses it's appeal for a while. I don't really like 3rd person shooters; beat RE4 mostly bored, no interest in Uncharted, GTA is really boring. If anything my favorite third person shooter is Bionic Commando (the 2009 360 game). I'm also very wary to fall for hype, mostly since I found Dark Souls really boring.
Then I learned that there are 85 missions. And the game keeps ramping up. Suddenly I felt compelled to buy this game.

So first hurdle was apparently finding the game. No local retailers held it, had to ask a local games shop to order it for me. This is when I learned that, even though this is 80's B Movie, The Game, I would pay 60$ for it. The first 60$ I've paid for a game in a long while.
Meanwhile, I've caught a pretty awful cold.

Then I put the disc in the console. My 360 is not connected to the internet since it doesn't have a wireless adapter and the internet here is so poor that I can't be bothered. Because of this, the game had to install a console update. Which it promptly failed to complete when it reached 30%, showing Disk Read Error and telling me to clean the brand new disc. Whatever, hook up my 360 to the internet since it's only about 30 feet away. Update downloaded, game runs fine.

I woke up about 16 hours ago. I haven't stopped playing the game. I want to keep playing the game. I've been playing on Hard with Ranger and only beat Mission 34. Died a bunch. Holy loving poo poo this game is fun. It's the dumbest, simplest, silliest thing. I'm not even sure I would call this a "good, quality game" but it's loving amazing and I'm sure as hell going to spend a lot of time playing it.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
And you haven't even been to mission 39.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Dantes posted:

With those weapons equipped, choose any underground level.

Which, exactly? 29-31 don't give drops that are decent enough to meaningfully upgrade your gear above ~50, and 70+ don't start you off near tunnels, they start you off on top of big pits full of spiders in a big open cave entrance with no corridors to drag the bugs into. Try dragging them forward and you're stuck between them and a queen instead.

I really want to love EDF, and the initial playthrough on Normal was definitely memorable, but for a game that 'keeps ramping up' it really hates to let you into the high-end stuff. A happy-go-lucky shoot 'em up has turned into an armor and gear grind, and that just seems really sad.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013

Casnorf posted:

And you haven't even been to mission 39.

Hey, I've only just beaten the level where the boss two levels ago is a regular enemy, I trust that this game still has a ton of poo poo in store.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Benach posted:

Hey, I've only just beaten the level where the boss two levels ago is a regular enemy, I trust that this game still has a ton of poo poo in store.

I'm envious but super happy that you've discovered EDF for the first time. It's something magical - when I first played EDF I felt like I hadn't since the olden days of the Atari/NES when gaming felt brand new. EDF is just fun, distilled down to its most basic component and served up ready to consume. I think from a gameplay standpoint it really does have more in common with something like Mario than modern shooters from a simplicity standpoint.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Stelas posted:

Which, exactly? 29-31 don't give drops that are decent enough to meaningfully upgrade your gear above ~50, and 70+ don't start you off near tunnels, they start you off on top of big pits full of spiders in a big open cave entrance with no corridors to drag the bugs into. Try dragging them forward and you're stuck between them and a queen instead.
Ok, step by step.

Equip a Idunn-D Custom (electroshock lv 25)
Equip a LRSL-S (sniper lv 42, it's your panic button, you shouldn't need to use it)

Pick level 70 Den of Thieves
Choose Normal, Hard or Hardest (just redid on hardest to get a loot sample and this example)

You spawn above a pit full of spider. You got 2 options. Either you drop in without shooting and make a beeline to your squad in the tunnel or you fly above the pit to the opening across. This opening is a straight 90degree angle so you can shoot the spiders before they can get in position to shoot you. I usually do option 2. Loot the green and red, leave the white and yellow for emergencies.

Step 2 is a big open area. You want to shoot a spider to get them busy and retreat in the tunnel you came from. Let your squad take the lead to draw the fire of the spider king and use the corner to cut their web attack. After most of the spiders are dead 2 new batches will drop in from the top side of the open area. Not a problem for you since you are not in there. Keep doing your thing until you can count the individual red spot on your minimap, then start executing your squadmates. Once your left with a single spider you can go in and loot. Level end.

In my replay to get this walkthrough the loot went from a Blast Grenade Lv 16 to RSR Plasma Launcher Lv 62.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
I just played through Mission 39. Now I wish I hadn't read the thread, because that was sort of disappointing! I knew this was going to show up. It wasn't even set up as a surprise in the game, they tell you the mission before what's going to happen. The wasps act exactly like the flying robots, too. Except their stingers stay on the ground for a bit, which creates a really cool visual effect.

Levantine posted:

I think from a gameplay standpoint it really does have more in common with something like Mario than modern shooters from a simplicity standpoint.
Funny 'cause I don't really like Mario (Mario Galaxy 2 is one of the most disappointing games I've played).

I think one of the most exhilarating things about the game is just the fact that you can die at any time by blowing yourself up, and if you don't blow things up then you're probably going to be swarmed.
Also giant monsters and robots and explosions.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I got both systems now, did they ever patch the PS3 version or is it still better on 360?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I hadn't heard its better on the 360, nor do I have any serious technical problems with it on the PS3. What's different?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
A friend and I are going to finish up Hard today and move on to another difficulty. Is Hardest a sufficient step up in difficulty to be worth playing through immediately after Hard, or should we go directly to Inferno and begin our wailing and gnashing of teeth?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I hadn't heard its better on the 360, nor do I have any serious technical problems with it on the PS3. What's different?

Framerates are lower on the PS3, especially on splitscreen. 360 has fewer stutter issues under the same conditions, basically.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Kestral posted:

A friend and I are going to finish up Hard today and move on to another difficulty. Is Hardest a sufficient step up in difficulty to be worth playing through immediately after Hard, or should we go directly to Inferno and begin our wailing and gnashing of teeth?

Why don't you just replay the final level on Inferno and do a trip report. :unsmigghh:/:fireman:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
For the hell of it, our room played Brute Force on Inferno last night and my teammates who all had 7000 armor and Proteus Gammas didn't even make it through the first wave of Hecters (and I got oneshotted by an ant). I had never seen any Proteus destroyed, or even run out of ammo before all the enemies were dead, before that. How does one even beat the last stage on Inferno?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

This times a million.

The second DLC has the same problem I had with Insect Armageddon -- the enemies are huge bullet sponges, and it's not as satisfying to kill them. The mutant ants in particular are annoying, because they do about ten times the damage of normal ants. I'm halfway through the normal game on Hard (after beating it on Normal), but a couple of those DLC #2 levels seem almost impossible on Normal with my current armor/weapons.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Levantine posted:

Framerates are lower on the PS3, especially on splitscreen. 360 has fewer stutter issues under the same conditions, basically.

PS3 has some serious crashing problems when playing multiplayer that the 360 version seems to be without as well. My friends and I very frequently have our PS3s hardlock randomly while loading multiplayer levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Kanos posted:

PS3 has some serious crashing problems when playing multiplayer that the 360 version seems to be without as well. My friends and I very frequently have our PS3s hardlock randomly while loading multiplayer levels.
I had just assumed that dual Javelin Catapults were so awesome that Keyboard_Vomit's PS3 just couldn't handle it and hardlocked.