Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Tekopo posted:

I'd be more than willing to teach you any of Cuba Libre (if we get two more) or Guns of Gettysburg (navajo wars is solitaire but I can have a go at teaching you that as well).

Also, you are in luck

Awesome, thank you! I'll have a read of the Gettysburg rulebook and get set up with VASSAL and hit you up at some point in the future.

That Great War at Sea game looks pretty cool, but despite them having a page for it and saying it's available it doesn't seem to be listed in their store.

Another question, while I'm going, is what is the best game for beginners to get into Napoleonic era stuff? Block or hex/tile preferred. I want to get a game and try to get my wife to play, so the more accessible the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What time are people usually on for these games? I'd like to get in on some VASSAL action too but I maintain odd hours.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Awesome, thank you! I'll have a read of the Gettysburg rulebook and get set up with VASSAL and hit you up at some point in the future.

That Great War at Sea game looks pretty cool, but despite them having a page for it and saying it's available it doesn't seem to be listed in their store.

Another question, while I'm going, is what is the best game for beginners to get into Napoleonic era stuff? Block or hex/tile preferred. I want to get a game and try to get my wife to play, so the more accessible the better.
Probably the most accessible Napoleonic-era game is Command & Colours Napoleonics. It uses the aforementioned system and it's really easy to get into and started. Highly recommended.

As for Vassal, I'm usually on after 7:00 pm GMT most weekdays or most weekends at really any time.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Another thing, which store do you mean, BGG? BGG is not so much a store but more of a board game database, I'd recommend having a look around to see if you can find a copy of it.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Tekopo posted:

Another thing, which store do you mean, BGG? BGG is not so much a store but more of a board game database, I'd recommend having a look around to see if you can find a copy of it.

Yeah BGG is always my first port of call to read any more about a game I'm interested in.

I was looking at the Avalanche Press store. They have a price and list it as available but then I can't find it searching their actual store.

I'll hunt around for it a bit more and see what I can find.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Weird, none of my usual places seem to have that in stock, even though I'm pretty sure I was made aware of it from my local online store. Maybe it was another russo-japanese game I was thinking of...

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
My girlfriend has always been into Native American history and I was at this game store the other day and saw Navajo Wars in the wild and told her about it. She seemed interested in the subject matter and I was wondering how accessible it is for someone who doesn't play wargames. We do play a bit of mid to higher difficulty Euros if that matters. The most complex game we play though is Dominant Species and she loves that.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's not too bad since you are just following a series of steps and there are flow charts for pretty much everything which detail step by step what you need to do at each point. The rules, however, are still written in a pretty wargamey way, but the way I learnt the game is that I didn't look stuff up unless I explicitly need to. It's still a solitaire game at heart, however, so there's limited interaction within the game (although co-op rules are present).

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
reiterating that i am down for weekend COIN vassal play if you guys need a third/fourth, or TS if somebody just wants to have a go at it (tash kalar too although that doesn't really fit this thread so much)

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Tekopo posted:

It's not too bad since you are just following a series of steps and there are flow charts for pretty much everything which detail step by step what you need to do at each point. The rules, however, are still written in a pretty wargamey way, but the way I learnt the game is that I didn't look stuff up unless I explicitly need to. It's still a solitaire game at heart, however, so there's limited interaction within the game (although co-op rules are present).

I imagine we would play it as a solitaire game but both of us agree on what to do as opposed to the co-op rules. How is it with regards to being immersed in the history of the people and their struggles?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

sonatinas posted:

I imagine we would play it as a solitaire game but both of us agree on what to do as opposed to the co-op rules. How is it with regards to being immersed in the history of the people and their struggles?
I think it works really well, to be honest. You need to balance being aggressive with not pissing off the spanish/mexican/americans too much, although they will still attack you even if you leave them alone. You need to make sure that your very culture and land is not destroyed by encroaching religious missions/ranchos. The game throughout requires you to constantly expand and it is pretty brutal in terms of how easily something can go wrong all of a sudden. I think it really does showcase the tension and constant raids/counter-raids. I knew very little about the history of the region before playing the game and now I feel like I know enough to talk about it.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Tekopo posted:

I think it works really well, to be honest. You need to balance being aggressive with not pissing off the spanish/mexican/americans too much, although they will still attack you even if you leave them alone. You need to make sure that your very culture and land is not destroyed by encroaching religious missions/ranchos. The game throughout requires you to constantly expand and it is pretty brutal in terms of how easily something can go wrong all of a sudden. I think it really does showcase the tension and constant raids/counter-raids. I knew very little about the history of the region before playing the game and now I feel like I know enough to talk about it.

Thanks for the analysis. I may get it in a month or two.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

sonatinas posted:

Thanks for the analysis. I may get it in a month or two.
Oldstench did an AAR of the game in this very thread if you are interested in seeing how the game plays before you buy.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Just been introduced to a group of wargamers, and have been invited to/threatened with a game of OCS.

What am I getting into?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You are getting into an amazing, amazing game. Do you like trucks? If you do, this game really won't dissapoint!

In all seriousness, it probably has one of the most interesting implemented supply systems I've ever seen, and this supply system drives the entire game. In order to attack, you can't start by moving units and then worrying about supply later, you first of all need to work out where your supply base is gonna be and THEN advance. This is especially true in the Blitzkrieg Legend, where your supply base is in a constant struggle to keep up with the speed of your attack. It's an entirely fascinating game and I would like to give it another shot if I can.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
OCS is an incredibly good ruleset and one of like two or three that actually physically represent supply on the map rather than merely by trace (although trace supply is still in). That said, it did take me a solid weekend to learn the mechanics, it's not a light ruleset.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, supply in the game is represented by supply points that are physically represented in the game. You use supply trace for certain things but you need HQs (or extenders as well?) to 'throw' supply for you, and you use supply every time you attack (and I think defend as well). You need to use supply trucks to move the SPs to the front, and you have to manually calculate how to move the trucks (it takes some MPs to pick up supplies, move to somewhere, then unload, move back etc).

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I've been reading about/reading reviews of Maria and it sounds pretty cool. Who here has played it?

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
It's really good. If you're interested in wargaming the period and can get 2 other people with similar interests together, it's a blast. It's got some slight balance issues and it's relatively unforgiving, but it's quite elegant and with a good group it's been one of the tensest nail-biting wargames I've played.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I grabbed a copy as well: it's fairly unconventional because you fight with cards (which are literally playing cards) that can only be played in certain area of the map, meaning that sometimes you have to retreat in order to fight at a better position for your hand. The combat and movement is fairly easy as well and it has the weird fact that one side (the prussian/pragmatic army) fights both for and against Austria (against with Prussia, for with the Pragmatic army). It's a fairly cool design overall.

I was strongly thinking of buying Angola this weekend but managed to decide against. Does anyone have any thoughts on it?

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Fat Samurai posted:

Just been introduced to a group of wargamers, and have been invited to/threatened with a game of OCS.

What am I getting into?

You are getting into the absolutely greatest WW2 operational system! Also a really extensively developed and tight ruleset.

The thing about OCS is that it can be quite hard to play at first. Not because the the rules are complicated, because they aren't, but because they give you so much freedom that it can be hard to figure out what you actually want to do. Having experienced players around you should help a lot here though.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Tekopo posted:

I was strongly thinking of buying Angola this weekend but managed to decide against. Does anyone have any thoughts on it?

I was waffling on this for a while, I eventually decided against mainly because of the play length. It's hard for me to justify when I already don't get enough COIN games in.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Bit of an oddly specific query, but are there any solitaire games that could be played on just paper, making marks and keeping track of things with a pencil and eraser?

I drive a truck for 12.5 hours a day at work and would like to use some of the down time to play games, but I don't have space to keep anything set out. So something I could just have recorded on paper would be ideal.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I think your best bet is a netbook and Vassal.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
B17 Queen of the Skies and The Hunters can be played without any charts or maps set out. You might still need the dice roll tables, but those you can print out on regular sized paper or a notebook

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Lichtenstein posted:

I think your best bet is a netbook and Vassal.

Except I don't have space or time to have a netbook in the truck, besides which it's not allowed.

B17 or The Hunters is probably my best option. I was thinking about that, after reading The Hunters LP

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Apart from those two I can't really think of anything that wouldn't require laying out stuff anyway. I've played a bit more TK today and we basically arrived at the end of Case Blue, but instead of getting to Stalingrad I'm currently at the gates of Rostov. I'm still in a good position since I should be able to take it and something else (athens or Leningrad or Sevastapol and then hit Festung Europa, forcing the allies to take 9 of my strategic hexes in order to win. Will post pics later.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Overall theater as it stands (we will need to go to a third day of gaming). The Americans are in the war and have landed in North Africa, probably gonna kick out the Italians but I don't much care. The real interesting stuff is happening in the East. I am very close to taking Athens and hopefully will be able to in the next Spring/Summer campaign.

I am very close to taking Rostov/Leningrad. I actually had to Case Blue in order to just take Kiev: without the Romanians in the war the Russians only have to protect a very narrow front, making it easier to stack it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So the electronic version of Twilight Struggle has been cancelled, possibly forever. I am actually glad that GMT took this step: many times a company will release some half-assed version of a board game. At least no one lost any money on it (except GMT for paying for development time).

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Any good recommendations for World War One, games? Especially something on the strategic level. I've got a 3rd edition copy of Paths of Glory but was looking for soldering else in that vein

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Pursuit of Glory :v:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

WWI seems to either have Paths of Glory/Pursuit of Glory, or really high-details stuff like 1914: Offensive a Outrance (sp).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is more of a general design question, but for games that do tackle WWI, are there any that tackle the Western Front and specifically covers a time-period beyond Aug 1914?

I'm curious as to whether such designs assume that it would have been possible to produce a win (either by breakthrough or attrition) after the front had hardened into trench warfare and how such a thing might have been accomplished.

For that matter, being able to produce a situation where the Germans get to the Marne and possibly further when the French/BEF player has the advantage of historical hindsight seems to be a design "problem" as interesting as producing a plausible result in a Barbarossa game.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Is it against the rules or frowned upon to post a link to a wargame I'm selling on eBay? I seem to recall that being ok but I can't seem to find mention of it in the rules.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Don't think it should be too much of a problem, dunno if you can post it in the C&D thread however.

SpaceLion
Jun 10, 2013
As a relative newb to wargaming, I've been combing my way through this thread and it's gotten me excited for some games, especially the COIN series.

Well, today I'm going over to a buddy's to play Combat Comander Europe. Pretty intrigued. We'll see how it goes. Hoping to not be overly daunted by the rules :)

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

SpaceLion posted:

As a relative newb to wargaming, I've been combing my way through this thread and it's gotten me excited for some games, especially the COIN series.

Well, today I'm going over to a buddy's to play Combat Comander Europe. Pretty intrigued. We'll see how it goes. Hoping to not be overly daunted by the rules :)

Combat Commander is fairly approachable. The designer, Chad Jensen, is a really good rulebook writer, and if your buddy can explain a game then you'll be fine. There's a lot of fun to be had with CC, so fingers crossed!

SpaceLion
Jun 10, 2013

Trynant posted:

Combat Commander is fairly approachable. The designer, Chad Jensen, is a really good rulebook writer, and if your buddy can explain a game then you'll be fine. There's a lot of fun to be had with CC, so fingers crossed!

Yeah, it turned out really pretty well. The rules were reasonable to grasp once we got going. My buddy had really only played a couple times, so there was still plenty of rulebook referencing, but he was able to explain a good foundation, so I felt pretty comfortable. And as you said, the rule book is really well organized.

We played Scenario 3 - Bonfire of the NKVD (map: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/170464). He was the Germans, and I tried to hold him off with Russian Militia. It was a lot of fun. I manage to delay him quite a bit near obj #3 with a single unit holed up in the house across the road. But eventually he managed to slog his way through my seemingly endless suply of barbed wire (not to mention the occasional hidden minefield), and wear down my troops in the process.

Looking forward to a rematch at some point :)

The one thing that mystified us was just how long this one scenario took. We heard that scenarios last anywhere from 1 hr & 1/2 - 3 hrs, but we played for about 7 hours which seemed fairly extreme. We're hoping that with experience things will speed up, but it still seems like a lot of time to make up.

SpaceLion fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 16, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It shouldn't take that long? Where you rolling sudden death as necessary? Did you increase the time step when your deck ran out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceLion
Jun 10, 2013

Tekopo posted:

It shouldn't take that long? Where you rolling sudden death as necessary? Did you increase the time step when your deck ran out?

Sudden death was set to turn 7 and we didn't even make it there. He eliminated enough of my guys to trigger surrender on turn 6. We were definitely moving the time step when either of us went through our deck or if there was a "Time" trigger. There isn't anything about reducing your deck size is there?